++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 21, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #25,096 of 29,490
Quote:
If you are a basshead of any stripe, you will find the bass of the Q701 to be insufficient.  The bass on the Q701 extends well, but it won't give you that punch that bassheads crave.  On the other hand the DT 990 has recessed mids.  In summary if you want bass punch, go with the Beyer.  If you want balanced mids, a bigger, better sound stage and greater clarity--go with the AKG.  The Beyer is a more colored and "fun" can, while the AKG is m,ore balanced and analytical.

The headphone out jacks on modern A/V receivers are a crap shoot.  If you have a Yamaha Adventage receiver, you should be OK with either choice, but there a large number of receivers that won't properly power either choice--even the 250 Ohm version of the Beyer.

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to do more research on my Yamaha RX-V867 but I found out my Traktor S4 board can handle up to 600 Ohms, so I may use that to drive them.  I generally listen to music with a lot of bass, so I think the DT990's will be the better choice.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #25,097 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I got a pair of Grado sr60i's for Christmas a year ago and really love them.  However, I have been bitten by the bug to buy again.  

I would prefer to go with an over the ear model this time, my price range is between $100 and $150 and I listen to a fairly wide variety of genres, but mostly rock music. 

Thanks!

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #25,098 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for closed full size headphones for comfort reasons, though will consider smaller portable headphones

looking emphasized bass, headphones good with dance , electronic, pop, rock, etc

Looking at a price of around 200 - 500 USD

considering:

Beyerdynamic Custom Pro 1, Beyerdynamic DT 770,
AKG K550
audio technica pro700
fischer audio FA-011
Denon D400/D600
D2000/5000 (Less due to price increase)
Logitech UE6000
Sony XB900/X series (best buy model ) Build quality didn't seem great
Sony XB1000
Ultrasone Pro900

Good closed headphones with emphasized bass, in order of quality imo (and cost) are D5000 > D2000 > K550 > UE6000 > SRH840 > M50 > M100 > DT770

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #25,099 of 29,490
Hi all,

I have just joined the forum and know very little about headphone quality so need a bit of help. I am currently looking for some mid range over ear headphones (£50 to £100) that are best for listening to Hip-Hop and Rap. I have done a bit of research into this and have a shortlist, but I still can't decide which ones to go for. These are the 3 I am stuck between, but I am open to any other opinions you may have on different models. I will be using these headphone to play music from my phone through Spotify if that makes a difference.

1. Ultrasone HFI-580 £100
2. Audio Technica ATH-WS55 £60
3. AKG K618DJ £65

If anyone can give their thoughts on these choices and also any other headphones that come under this spec then it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #25,100 of 29,490
Hello, I'm looking for an entrance into the world of the audiophile and was wondering what would be best for me:

1. Budget of around £250 ($380).
  2. I will mainly be listening to music and playing games, but will occasionally watch films.
  3. Genres I like include Rock, Electronic, Classical, Folk etc.
  4. I think I would prefer more neutral headphones with no emphasis on any particular frequency (so they are suitable for a wide variety of music genres and are closest to the true sound).
  5. The source will be lossless files on my PC.

I have looked at the Sennheiser HD600s and think they would be a good match, but they would consume the entire budget. My question is, should I get these headphones and run them from my motherboard for the time being until I can get an amp, or get cheaper headphones like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s and combine them with an amp?

I know that in order to get the most out of the HD600s, an amp is necessary, but will it be sufficient for the short term to run them from my motherboard? Also, it may be cheaper in the long term as I will be less inclined to upgrade to a new set of headphones.

Thanks for the help!

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #25,101 of 29,490
Quote:

Woke up this morning with a minor ear irritation -- I get these sometimes because of the pressure from the IEM seal -- so to save torturing myself any longer with more research into headphones, I sprang for these. My wife's going to kill me, but at least it'll be with happy ears! Thanks for the recommendation! They do indeed seem to be the best bang for the buck.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #25,104 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to buy my first pair. I'm 3 hours from any audio daler who stocks the big names... So I will be purchasing without a demo.

Thinking of the the Grado 125 and 225's. Will be using them with an accuphase preamp, adcom amp, rega TT and with an adapter to my iPhone and Galaxy S3. Listen to classic rock, blues and jazz.

Important to me:
Soundstage
Comfort
Durability

Any advice for the newbie would be appreciated.

Hi

Not so much comfort to be honest :s

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #25,105 of 29,490
Hello everyone. Accidentally made a new post for this because me no do good. Rectifying that by placing it here instead.

I'm relatively new to the audiophile world, but have learned much from my short time here. The original reason I was brought here was to get the best audio setup on my PC for competitive gaming. I think I've achieved that. Started with the AD700 and X-Fi Titanium HD, then recently moved to the AKG K702 powered by the FiiO E09K. I couldn't be happier and now I'm thinking about grabbing a good pair of cans for general use. As much as I love (and I do mean LOVE) the AD700 and K702 for gaming, I'm not all that much of a fan of them for music and movies. The more I try out different headphones, the more my tastes are refining and here's what I've learned so far as well as some of the requirements I have for my next cans.

1. I will mostly be using these in my office and, therefore, am looking for a closed-back headphone.
  2. I can power it with an amp and DAC if need be. Currently, I am using the FiiO E07K at work which seems to do quite well with my K702.
  3. I love the soundstage and airiness of the AD700 and K702.
  4. I don't like the polite of bass of the AD700 and, to a lesser extent, the K702 for music and movies.
  5. I like the bass from the DT 990 Pro, but don't consider myself a bass head.
  6. I'd like to spend no more than $300, but if there is something out there worth the price of admission, I'd consider it.
  7. My tastes in music and movies absolutely run the entire gamut. Looking for an all-arounder.
  8. It doesn't have to be portable, but I'd like to to be somewhat visually low key. This is a very low priority, though.

In general, I'm looking for a relatively airy, all-arounder, closed-back headphone that doesn't lack bass (but isn't bass heavy). I was going to start with the DT 770 Pro and go from there. I've also heard great things about the Denon D7000, but that's out of my price range for now. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and see what you'd recommend.

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #25,106 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I'm looking for an entrance into the world of the audiophile and was wondering what would be best for me:

1. Budget of around £250 ($380).
  2. I will mainly be listening to music and playing games, but will occasionally watch films.
  3. Genres I like include Rock, Electronic, Classical, Folk etc.
  4. I think I would prefer more neutral headphones with no emphasis on any particular frequency (so they are suitable for a wide variety of music genres and are closest to the true sound).
  5. The source will be lossless files on my PC.

I have looked at the Sennheiser HD600s and think they would be a good match, but they would consume the entire budget. My question is, should I get these headphones and run them from my motherboard for the time being until I can get an amp, or get cheaper headphones like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s and combine them with an amp?

I know that in order to get the most out of the HD600s, an amp is necessary, but will it be sufficient for the short term to run them from my motherboard? Also, it may be cheaper in the long term as I will be less inclined to upgrade to a new set of headphones.

Thanks for the help!

The HD 600 is an excellent choice, but needs an amp.

The M50 is a very bad choice.  With its "V" shaped EQ it is far from neutral and its mids are recessed.  Unlike the HD 600, it is a closed can that has a limited sound stage--which is not what you want for movies and gaming.

I assume that you know that open cans like the HD 600 leak sound and isolate poorly and that you are OK with that.

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #25,107 of 29,490
New here guys, first post.
Not a huge audiophile by any means, but I really do appreciate quality sound.
History: Bought a 5.1 HTIB when I went to college. Just upgraded to a 5.1 Definitive technology system (BP8040 towers, 8040 Center, 8040 surrounds). Really like the system, but I understand and can still identify better quality sound. Spent some time in Minnesota at the Bosch facility that produces the EV speakers that are used by the Dallas Cowboys, Kenney Chesney, etc. Was blown away by their quality.

Having said that, I'm looking to upgrade my desk setup. I'm currently using integrated audio from my motherboard and a Razer Carcharias headset since that's all I've needed until now.

Budget: Lets say $700 and I need a DAC and the headphones.
Music: 70's rock, 90's rock.

Things I've been looking at personally:
Sennheiser HD598
O2+ODAC
Schiit Magni/Modi

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #25,108 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone. Accidentally made a new post for this because me no do good. Rectifying that by placing it here instead.

I'm relatively new to the audiophile world, but have learned much from my short time here. The original reason I was brought here was to get the best audio setup on my PC for competitive gaming. I think I've achieved that. Started with the AD700 and X-Fi Titanium HD, then recently moved to the AKG K702 powered by the FiiO E09K. I couldn't be happier and now I'm thinking about grabbing a good pair of cans for general use. As much as I love (and I do mean LOVE) the AD700 and K702 for gaming, I'm not all that much of a fan of them for music and movies. The more I try out different headphones, the more my tastes are refining and here's what I've learned so far as well as some of the requirements I have for my next cans.

1. I will mostly be using these in my office and, therefore, am looking for a closed-back headphone.
  2. I can power it with an amp and DAC if need be. Currently, I am using the FiiO E07K at work which seems to do quite well with my K702.
  3. I love the soundstage and airiness of the AD700 and K702.
  4. I don't like the polite of bass of the AD700 and, to a lesser extent, the K702 for music and movies.
  5. I like the bass from the DT 990 Pro, but don't consider myself a bass head.
  6. I'd like to spend no more than $300, but if there is something out there worth the price of admission, I'd consider it.
  7. My tastes in music and movies absolutely run the entire gamut. Looking for an all-arounder.
  8. It doesn't have to be portable, but I'd like to to be somewhat visually low key. This is a very low priority, though.

In general, I'm looking for a relatively airy, all-arounder, closed-back headphone that doesn't lack bass (but isn't bass heavy). I was going to start with the DT 770 Pro and go from there. I've also heard great things about the Denon D7000, but that's out of my price range for now. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and see what you'd recommend.

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

That's a tough one.  Many good closed headphones with decent bass lack soundstage and sound closed-in.  Denon D5000 have both and are extremely good headphones, very close to D7000 imo (D7000 have *slightly* more forward mids and tighter bass but worse/sharper treble).  You might also consider D2000 if you can find them.  K550 also do both pretty well, but are a bit less refined to my ears.  DT770 also have both but the bass is excessive, sloppy and one-toned unless you seriously amplify them and their treble is far too sharp for my ears.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #25,109 of 29,490
Quote:

Just so you know the the FA-011's are open.

Edit: Don't know why the quote doesn't work but they're still open:)

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #25,110 of 29,490
Quote:

That's a tough one.  Many good closed headphones with decent bass lack soundstage and sound closed-in.  Denon D5000 have both and are extremely good headphones, very close to D7000 imo (D7000 have *slightly* more forward mids and tighter bass but worse/sharper treble).  You might also consider D2000 if you can find them.  K550 also do both pretty well, but are a bit less refined to my ears.  DT770 also have both but the bass is excessive, sloppy and one-toned unless you seriously amplify them and their treble is far too sharp for my ears.

Yeah, I know the closed-back is clashing with my want for an airy can. I'm not really asking for a closed-back can with the airiness of the K702. Rather, I think I'm asking for a closed headphone that is relatively airy. The D5000 is out of my budget for the time being. I've heard the K550 are rather airy for a closed-back set. That's one I will be looking into. That's a bit sad to hear about the DT770 because I've read the soundstage is quite nice on them.

Any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back