++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #24,976 of 29,490
I'm debating between the DT770 pro and DT990 pro. I am looking for headphones that have strong bass but also clear mids and highs. Also solid build quality. I will be listening to techno but also jazz, classical etc and gaming with them for sure. I've read all the comparisons but I just can't seem to decide if I should stick to the closed DT770 pro or the open, more airy, more 'higher end' dt990 pro? I don't have an amp now but I also don't want to get the low ohm versions... I have a soundcard amp on my pc but if that doesn't drive the headphones properly I'm open to getting an amp.
I am a bit worried about the 990's high being too strong but on the other hand I do like the idea of very detailed highs. The other thing that worries me are these very recessed mids that some say makes the mid range sound thin. Apparently 770 has better mid frequency repsonse?

For my purposes can you guys recommend 1 over the other for me? Thanks!

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #24,977 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm debating between the DT770 pro and DT990 pro. I am looking for headphones that have strong bass but also clear mids and highs. Also solid build quality. I will be listening to techno but also jazz, classical etc and gaming with them for sure. I've read all the comparisons but I just can't seem to decide if I should stick to the closed DT770 pro or the open, more airy, more 'higher end' dt990 pro? I don't have an amp now but I also don't want to get the low ohm versions... I have a soundcard amp on my pc but if that doesn't drive the headphones properly I'm open to getting an amp.
I am a bit worried about the 990's high being too strong but on the other hand I do like the idea of very detailed highs. The other thing that worries me are these very recessed mids that some say makes the mid range sound thin. Apparently 770 has better mid frequency repsonse?

Both have recessed mids.  Get the DT 880 (+/- Pro) in the 250 or 600 Ohm flavor.  Read about it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT880

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #24,978 of 29,490
Quote:

I would go for the DT990's , sound much better than the DT770's :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #24,979 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Sloppy bass is a deal breaker right off the bat for me. I've tried some very expensive Amps that had poor dampening characteristics and very poor control over the Bass. I've found it's far easier to find an amp with a smooth top end, that's easy. Making a small amp with enough power  and dampening to control the Bass is a lot tougher. It's the first thing I listen for in any Amp.  As for the last part of your post... The worst car I ever owned was a Mercedes. Price and Brand Name is never an indication of quality. Especially when it comes to Audio equipment. 
wink.gif

What about the C & C BH portable amp? I've heard that's a lot better than the Fiio E11.

Haven't heard it, but it has received some good reviews here.

A number of portable amps reviewed by Inner Fidelity also appear to be quite good, some quite powerful--and quite expensive in a case or two:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/category/portable-headphone-amplifier-reviews

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #24,981 of 29,490
I'd be hard pressed to give up the Bass and Treble controls built-in to the E17. That's a huge feature for me, and they did a really nice job with them. Very clean boost and cut. I'm not a fan of software EQ's on iPods. They do not sound as clean to me. Forget about the EQ "presets" on the IPod. Those are unlistenable...  
tongue.gif

I really like how the input is on the BOTTOM instead of the top like all the others. Why put it on the bottom? Then you have to put your iPod on it upside down where the line out plug blocks the Volume knob...

The E17's form factor is a big plus in my opinion. It's exactly the same height as my iPod Nano. The two go together like PB & J... It makes a very neat little package and the OLED display is nice to have in the dark. I like the numerical Volume as a reference point as well. You may not think you need it, but once you have it, it's nice.  While other rigs may have more power, they don't necessarily have any better sound. The E17 at "45" is as loud as I can STAND it and even with Bass +2, there is plenty of power to deliver thunderous, tightly controlled Bass.  From all I've read, at this level most Solid State Amps sound about the same once you get past a certain price point. The FiiO is one example of a less expensive Amp that by all accounts sounds as good and sometimes better than portables costing much more. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #24,982 of 29,490
Hi there, please help me out with some recommendation for my home set up.

Rig: Laptop > Foobar 2000(Will be playing mostly FLAC and 320kbps MP3) > Schiit Modi & Magni > Headphone
Usage: Music & Gaming(FPS)
Genre: Non audiophile collection 
font]
 consisting of the following : Rock, Alternative, Metal, Acoustic, Jazz (Pink Floyd, Sum 41, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, A7X, Michael Buble, Jason Mraz, Boyce Avenue etc. Mostly are obtained via non-audiophile CD Rips) 

Budget: Still saving money. Would take a few months but the budget would be around $600USD MAX.
Type: Full size headphone. Open back or closed back isn't too much of a problem.
For reference, some phones I have right now: Shure SE535, Goldring DR150, FAD Adagio II
Please help me out.

Other requirements: Must be able to buy from Amazon and ship to Malaysia. 
If possible, I would like the headphones to be circumaural as portability would not be required since I already have the SE535 and the Adagio II to take care of my portable rig. And please, no Grados recommendation for rock. I find them a bit uncomfortable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Many thanks.

Taken from my thread. I was told I might get more replies here. So, please do help a newbie out. 
font]

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #24,983 of 29,490
I have a question, I am new here at head-fi, I was wondering How does one become an audiophile? What are the terminology? How could I develop an ear? The headphones I have are the m50's Bose qc15, klipsch s5i, s4i. and soon to get the m100's ( just waiting for the money :D

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #24,985 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there, please help me out with some recommendation for my home set up.

Rig: Laptop > Foobar 2000(Will be playing mostly FLAC and 320kbps MP3) > Schiit Modi & Magni > Headphone
Usage: Music & Gaming(FPS)
Genre: Non audiophile collection 
font]
 consisting of the following : Rock, Alternative, Metal, Acoustic, Jazz (Pink Floyd, Sum 41, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, A7X, Michael Buble, Jason Mraz, Boyce Avenue etc. Mostly are obtained via non-audiophile CD Rips) 

Budget: Still saving money. Would take a few months but the budget would be around $600USD MAX.
Type: Full size headphone. Open back or closed back isn't too much of a problem.
For reference, some phones I have right now: Shure SE535, Goldring DR150, FAD Adagio II
Please help me out.

Other requirements: Must be able to buy from Amazon and ship to Malaysia. 
If possible, I would like the headphones to be circumaural as portability would not be required since I already have the SE535 and the Adagio II to take care of my portable rig. And please, no Grados recommendation for rock. I find them a bit uncomfortable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Many thanks.

Taken from my thread. I was told I might get more replies here. So, please do help a newbie out. 
font]

$600 puts you just under the gateway to the very best, the HiFiMan HE 500, which normally goes for $699.  It also just falls short of the Shure SRH 1840, which can often be had for just a bit less.

A year to nine months ago, I would have recommended the now discontinued Denon D7000--or at least the D5000.  Since you've banned Grados (and presumptively Alessandros), that further limits your options at or near the top of your budget.

My fall back positions are the Beyer DT 880 600 Ohm (if the Magni will drive them) or 250 Ohm (if it won't), Audio Technica ATH-W1000X, Audio-Technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X ordered directly from Japan, or it predecessor, the ATH-AD2000.

Then again, you can save another $99...

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #24,986 of 29,490
Quote:
I have a question, I am new here at head-fi, I was wondering How does one become an audiophile? What are the terminology? How could I develop an ear? The headphones I have are the m50's Bose qc15, klipsch s5i, s4i. and soon to get the m100's ( just waiting for the money :D

Here's some places to start:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #24,987 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm vacillating between the Crossfade LP's and the Audiotechnica M50's.

So, I'm considering one of the two headphones. I know the M50's have a better "overall sound" while the Crossfades are more bass inclined (although good all-around). So if it were just a matter of sound quality, I would buy the M50's. But my issue is with the design and build of the M50's. I'm on the move quite a bit, and the case provided with the Crossfades would reassure me that they wouldn't get crushed by accident. That and the fact that they have a detachable wire (in case something goes wrong) is a plus to me.

So, my question is, are the M50's good enough that they warrent a purchase over the more travel friendly Crossfade LP's. And how is the quality of the plastic on the M50's? Are they durable?

My limit for spending on headphones right now is 130 dollars, so if anyone has any other reccomendations (of over the ear headphones) I would be open to that too. Thanks!

M50s are very durable.  For your budget I'd recommend those or SRH840 (which are bigger but do fold up), their sound is more balanced and refined than V-moda.  They are easily the two best closed headphones in your price range.  

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #24,988 of 29,490
Quote:
Also what are they best amp for its money that could possibly drive something like the senhieser hd 650 or denon d600 or something like? Considering something for the future, I already have a fiio e6

Even if you limit your question to either a portable or desktop amp, that's an impossible question to answer objectively.  In fact I'm not sure it's either the right question or the one to which you really want an answer.

First an amp that drives the HD 650 is almost certainly going to be different than one selected to drive the "made to use with portables" Denon.  Decide on your new can first.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #24,990 of 29,490
An unusual request:

Does anybody know of a good set of cans for somebody suffering from hearing loss?

My Old Man (55yrs old) has asked me to source a good pair of headphones for him now that I've been tagged as the family audiophile (Thank you, Head-fi...)
he listens to a lot of classical, so detail with soundstage is needed, he also listens to a fair bit of classic rock as well, along with some jazz and the occasional 80's classic...
so whatever can sound good with thoses what he's after.

The cans are probably going to be worn at his desk, so comfort is needed.
He understands amps but for simplicity sake, a headphone that can be plugged straight into his computer or his phone would be ideal,
finally, it needs to be forgiving of lower quality tracks, as he often listens from youtube.

Cheers in advance

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back