++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 18, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #24,931 of 29,490
Hi,
I'm trying to decide on some good headphones for rock and metal. I am limiting myself to $200. I will be getting a Fiio Andes (if that isn't the right choice, let me know).
I was looking at the Grado 225is, but I hear they lack bass. I like to hear some bass in all my music. Not overpowering though. Just a perfect balance of highs, mids, and lows. That is probably impossible for $200 but I would like it as close as possible.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #24,932 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
I'm trying to decide on some good headphones for rock and metal. I am limiting myself to $200. I will be getting a Fiio Andes (if that isn't the right choice, let me know).
I was looking at the Grado 225is, but I hear they lack bass. I like to hear some bass in all my music. Not overpowering though. Just a perfect balance of highs, mids, and lows. That is probably impossible for $200 but I would like it as close as possible.

Although not to everyone's taste or comfort, the 225i (not "is") is a great can for rock and metal (and blues and classic country).  It will rock your world, provided you are not expecting basshead lite or more levels of bass.  It is open and leaks a great deal, while isolating almost not at all.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #24,933 of 29,490
Hello everyone! :)
I'm on a quest to find a pair of closed headphones with the lowest amount of leakage possible (for use in silent libraries, studying around other people). I already own a pair of IEMs but fancied having another option.
SO, I have whittled down my search to either: a pair of Beyer dt770/80 ohm pros, OR, A pair of AKG K167s modded with shure 840 pads.
Thoughts? :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #24,934 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

maybe you should take a look at the fiio e10. it has a bass boost option and is a great value. havent tried the andes..

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #24,936 of 29,490
Quote:
I used them straight out of my Samsung Galaxy S3 and they were acceptable at full volume but I'd recommend getting an amp for any headphones as it really brings them to life and adds body to the sound.

Very close to pulling the trigger on the HP100s when I saw the thread about the Sennheiser HD25 Amperior refurbs which fall into my price range. Can anyone provide a comparison of the two? Noise isolation and sound quality are key and portability will help as I travel a few times a year. Also anyone familiar with vminnovations - the sellers of the refurbs?

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #24,937 of 29,490
best portable headphone for prog metal please :) thanks 

Lol that's like asking for the best tire for driving in New England. IMO headphones for progressive need to be very fast, and have good imaging. Other than that you really need to share more like budget, preferred sound sig, where and how you'll be using them, what bands you listen to (dream theatre, for example needs a bit brighter sound than, say opeth to show off portnoys cymbal collection)

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #24,939 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

Ok so drums will not be recessed like they are with some headphones?

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #24,940 of 29,490
Quote:
Very close to pulling the trigger on the HP100s when I saw the thread about the Sennheiser HD25 Amperior refurbs which fall into my price range. Can anyone provide a comparison of the two? Noise isolation and sound quality are key and portability will help as I travel a few times a year. Also anyone familiar with vminnovations - the sellers of the refurbs?

My bad. Just realized the HD25 was on ear vs over ear.

I'm thinking I will probably use a portable amp, I am now weighing the HP100 vs. the Beyerdynamic dt770 80 ohm (or possibly the custom one). How about a comparison of the hp100 and the dt770? Alternatively, the dt770 32ohm which is priced a bit higher, but if it doesn't need an amp it's in the same ballpark.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #24,942 of 29,490
I need great EDM genre type cans, I'm looking for a well balanced presentation with some "impact" on the bass but nothing that overpowers everything. A lot of my music is either no vocals, or music that has a heavy emphasis on great vocls with a thum thump thump going in the back around.

alesso, edward maya, laidback luke, gareth emery are some examples.

I've been looking at a wide range
A900X
dt770 80ohms
koss dj pro 100
sound magic hp100

I need something with noise isolation so closed are prefered.

any other ideas? Are v-moda's offering good? I also game so its kind of important but I have ad700's too. I'm looking for a step up from ad700's

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #24,943 of 29,490
I'm vacillating between the Crossfade LP's and the Audiotechnica M50's.

So, I'm considering one of the two headphones. I know the M50's have a better "overall sound" while the Crossfades are more bass inclined (although good all-around). So if it were just a matter of sound quality, I would buy the M50's. But my issue is with the design and build of the M50's. I'm on the move quite a bit, and the case provided with the Crossfades would reassure me that they wouldn't get crushed by accident. That and the fact that they have a detachable wire (in case something goes wrong) is a plus to me.

So, my question is, are the M50's good enough that they warrent a purchase over the more travel friendly Crossfade LP's. And how is the quality of the plastic on the M50's? Are they durable?

My limit for spending on headphones right now is 130 dollars, so if anyone has any other reccomendations (of over the ear headphones) I would be open to that too. Thanks!

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #24,944 of 29,490
My bad. Just realized the HD25 was on ear vs over ear.

I'm thinking I will probably use a portable amp, I am now weighing the HP100 vs. the Beyerdynamic dt770 80 ohm (or possibly the custom one). How about a comparison of the hp100 and the dt770? Alternatively, the dt770 32ohm which is priced a bit higher, but if it doesn't need an amp it's in the same ballpark.

I think the Beyers will be quite bass heavy and have more of a v shaped presentation where as the HP100's are more neutral and well balanced.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #24,945 of 29,490
Quote:
Lol that's like asking for the best tire for driving in New England. IMO headphones for progressive need to be very fast, and have good imaging. Other than that you really need to share more like budget, preferred sound sig, where and how you'll be using them, what bands you listen to (dream theatre, for example needs a bit brighter sound than, say opeth to show off portnoys cymbal collection)

sorry . i listen to both dream theater and opeth . my source is sony a845 > LOD > fiio e11 . i have ms1i and i love it . but its open back so yah i need it to be closed back + portable . budget is around 200-300 . thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back