++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #24,886 of 29,490
I am looking for a pair of headphones under around 100 euros.

Usage: Music.

Sources: Colorfly C3 and Sansa Clip+, later I´ll get a DAC/AMP for the PC.

My options are:

-Yamaha HPH 100
- AKG 142 HD
- BeyerDynamic DT 860
- BeyerDynamic DT 440
- Audio Technica ATH T500
- Audio Technica ATH AD700
- Audio Technica ATH 910 Pro
- Sennheiser HD 558
- Sennheiser HD 518
(- Sennheiser HD 598 around 150 euros)
-Grado Sr80i

I cannot try anyothers than the Sennys.
They need to have SQ and confort.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #24,887 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The 750 is better at everything--plain and simple, including build quality.  As one of the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread accurately states: "an all around more refined version of the HFI-780."

how are they comfort wise? can they be used for 6+ hours a day?

also do the 750's require an amp for computer use?

I'm looking at the 750's vs the DT770's for PC/gaming use using this, is this enough to power them adequately?

http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamp-pro-2013-edition

Power Output: 70mW 32ohm per channel    

Most people find the 750 to be very comfortable.  However, here comes my cut and paste:

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

I can tell you that the 750 needs to be amped.  I don't use a computer for my serious music listening.  You will have to get information about the capability of your sound card elsewhere, perhaps the in the computer audio section of the forum.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #24,888 of 29,490
I'm taking the plunge on my first post after lurking around here for a month or so.

I am looking to upgrade my home set up, primarily for use at the computer; headphones, amp, and DAC. I don't have any extra PCI slots so a sound card upgrade is not possible. I will also use the headphones around my apartment with a Fiio E11 and a home theater receiver.

Music is mostly progressive rock/metal, but I also listen to quite a bit of electronic and dance music and 80s pop stuff (e.g. Duran Duran or New Order), and I dabble in pretty much everything else besides country and dirty rap.

I currently have a pair of modded HD555s and a pair of DT770/80s.  Overall I enjoy the sound profile of the HD555s more since it seems the mids come through a little better and the bass is a little less pronounced.  However I do really like the DT770s as well and don't have any real complaints about them.  I will undoubtedly spend more money on this later, but not thousands...yet, so ability to scale up is also something to consider.

I was pretty set on getting the HD650s and then was looking at a Magni/Modi combo as a cheap entry into a desktop setup.  But then I heard about the HE400s as an alternative and am interested in the whole orthos thing (faster response, more accurate sound?).  I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

From what I know it takes a good amp to get the best out of the 650's whereas the Hifiman 400's are much easier to reach their full potential.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #24,889 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for a pair of headphones under around 100 euros.

Usage: Music.

Sources: Colorfly C3 and Sansa Clip+, later I´ll get a DAC/AMP for the PC.

My options are:

-Yamaha HPH 100
- AKG 142 HD
- BeyerDynamic DT 860
- BeyerDynamic DT 440
- Audio Technica ATH T500
- Audio Technica ATH AD700
- Audio Technica ATH 910 Pro
- Sennheiser HD 558
- Sennheiser HD 518
(- Sennheiser HD 598 around 150 euros)
-Grado Sr80i

I cannot try anyothers than the Sennys.
They need to have SQ and confort.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?  You have a large number on your list and have mentioned portable use.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #24,890 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?  You have a large number on your list and have mentioned portable use.

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

No problem with open cans.
Main use will be at home.

I plan to listen all kinds of music. No genre prefered.

Sound signature, probably, the one thats more true to the music without being boring.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #24,891 of 29,490
Well I recently purchased an Hd-650 and had the he-400 but I found I wasn't a big fan of either sound signature. I mean the ortho bass on the he-400 was great and so was the sound stage but it was a bit boring aside from the great clarity and separation. I am basically looking for a headphone with a good sound stage, well defined bass like on the he-400 not bloated bass like the M-50's but with a more forward treble. I found the treble on the Hd-650 to be way too laid back for my taste it and same thing with the he-400. I am basically looking for something that requires very little amplification and sounds great to amazing out of a sansa fuze. The most important things for me in order of preference is treble, bass, sound stage and mids. I have auditioned a couple of headphones and haven't really found a signature I like I tried the he-400, hd-650, m50, m100.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #24,892 of 29,490
Not stock. Modded, they're the cat's meow.

Well, you need the headphone, obviously, and you need to get a set of Shure SRH-750 pads from Amazon (if you live in the U.S., they cost only about $15), as well as a bottle of superglue.

• First, what you do is you peel off the stock pads from the AKG and set them aside, you'll be using them later.
  • Take the Shure pads and attach them to the AKG. They'll fit like they were made for them.
  • Then, take the stock AKG pads, put a line of superglue around the rim of the lip of the bottom of the pad, and place them on top of the Shure pads, making sure they're as centered as possible (once you put them on, they're on for good), and pressing down on the pads for about twenty seconds.

Bang. Crazy isolating headphone. Essentially improved from stock in every way.

Ok! That doesn't sound too tricky at all! Ta very much for all the info. Just to check, you're completely sure that modded this way the headphones would be completely soundless to the outside listener? Sorry if it sounds cheeky to check, just want to be utterly and absolutely sure before splashing my cash!
A couple of Qs out of curiosity: what kind of sound do the modded AKGs have? And is there an amp you'd recommend to use with them?
Thanks again for all your help :)

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #24,893 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

No problem with open cans.
Main use will be at home.

I plan to listen all kinds of music. No genre prefered.

Sound signature, probably, the one thats more true to the music without being boring.

The best from your list are the HD 558 & 598.  However, "without being boring" is a very subjective standard.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #24,894 of 29,490
Quote:
Well I recently purchased an Hd-650 and had the he-400 but I found I wasn't a big fan of either sound signature. I mean the ortho bass on the he-400 was great and so was the sound stage but it was a bit boring aside from the great clarity and separation. I am basically looking for a headphone with a good sound stage, well defined bass like on the he-400 not bloated bass like the M-50's but with a more forward treble. I found the treble on the Hd-650 to be way too laid back for my taste it and same thing with the he-400. I am basically looking for something that requires very little amplification and sounds great to amazing out of a sansa fuze. The most important things for me in order of preference is treble, bass, sound stage and mids. I have auditioned a couple of headphones and haven't really found a signature I like I tried the he-400, hd-650, m50, m100.

Try some Grados. Visit a local Grado retailer and try the SR225i, the PS500, and the RS1i.

I think the RS1i might be your headphone. Its treble is more lively than both the HD650 and HE-400. Its bass does not extend super deep like the HE-400, but it has a nice mid-bass emphasis which makes drums and guitars really pop. The sound stage is neither wide nor tall, due to the on-ear design, but the soundstage does have good depth and I think it is enjoyable. And its mids are very lively and exciting.

Nothing sounds like a Grado. Try them.

Oh, and Grados require little to no amplification to sound great!

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #24,895 of 29,490
Quote:

I sounds like you favor a bright can.  The Grado RS 2i is bright, efficient and meets your other requirements.  The DT 880 (+/- Pro) in 250 or 600 Ohm flavors is also excellent, but you will probably need an amp, even with the 250 Ohm version.

It's hard to do something with "boring", especially at this level of cans--which are in or on the edge of audiophile quality.  While you may prefer a certain sound signature, it is mostly the stuff you put in the cans, and not the cans themselves, that is the prime suspect for being boring.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #24,897 of 29,490
Hi, I'd like a recommendation for portable headphones under $150.

My current headphones are a 4-ish year old Sennheiser HD-595s (the earcups cracked and chipped off between the two "n"s, but they still work) and a Hifiman HE-400 that I got as a Christmas gift last year 
size]
. I'm using them with an O2/ODAC combo and appreciate both pairs. My music tastes are pretty wide ranging, although I primarily listen to Kpop (which the 595's are great with) and a lot of electronic music (which I found the better bass on the HE-400 to be perfect for).

I'm looking for portable, ideally closed, headphones under $150 (could possibly stretch to $200) that work well without amplification but also would do well when plugged in to the O2/ODAC. Important factors would be comfort (I have a relatively big head), durability (I live in upstate NY, and I would like to be able to wear it outside in the cold and snow), and headphones that work well with any genre (i.e. not lacking in bass, mids, or treble). A carrying case would be nice too, as I will be primarily using this outside of my room.

I have looked at the V-moda M80, Phiaton MS-400, Ultrasone HFI-580, Denon AH-D1100, Beyerdynamic T50P/DT 1350, and Sennheiser Amperior/Momentum. Unfortunately, the Beyer and the Senns both exceed my budget.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #24,898 of 29,490
Quote:

My current headphones are a 4-ish year old Sennheiser HD-595s (the earcups cracked and chipped off between the two "n"s, but they still work) and a Hifiman HE-400 that I got as a Christmas gift last year 
size]
. I'm using them with an O2/ODAC combo and appreciate both pairs. My music tastes are pretty wide ranging, although I primarily listen to Kpop (which the 595's are great with) and a lot of electronic music (which I found the better bass on the HE-400 to be perfect for).

I'm looking for portable, ideally closed, headphones under $150 (could possibly stretch to $200) that work well without amplification but also would do well when plugged in to the O2/ODAC. Important factors would be comfort (I have a relatively big head), durability (I live in upstate NY, and I would like to be able to wear it outside in the cold and snow), and headphones that work well with any genre (i.e. not lacking in bass, mids, or treble). A carrying case would be nice too, as I will be primarily using this outside of my room.

I have looked at the V-moda M80, Phiaton MS-400, Ultrasone HFI-580, Denon AH-D1100, Beyerdynamic T50P/DT 1350, and Sennheiser Amperior/Momentum. Unfortunately, the Beyer and the Senns both exceed my budget.

I think the Sennheiser Momentum would be a nice pick

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #24,899 of 29,490
Quote:
any suggestions for a under $50ish dollers noise isolation headphones?

Check the buyers guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  There aren't a large selection of quality choices within that budget.  Cheap materials and build tend to limit isolation.  You may be better off looking for an on ear portable headphone.  There is another section of the forum for that:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #24,900 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

size]

I think the Sennheiser Momentum would be a nice pick

Except that its more than double his budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back