++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 17, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #24,871 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks but I've got one more question for you: According to InnerFidelity the Shure was "retired" due to the Logitech UE 6000. Out of the two, should I still opt for the Shure?

Hi, I'm new here but I've had Shure SRH-840's since September, these are my first "hi-fi" headphones, but I decided on them after doing a lot of research. They are very good headphones from a well respected brand and I think that the "mid-bass hump" does not colour music excessively, but really makes vocal types of music sound great. The effect is maybe a bit more warm than neutral. I would not call these "bass monsters" and I feel they're a bit lacking with bass focused genres since they drop off in the audible sub-bass region. Since you listen to rock and punk I think you would be very happy with Shure headphones :)

As for Logitech UE 6000, be careful of letting a single review sway your judgement, read what as many people say as you can find. Logitech is mostly focused on consumers and gamers so I would be hesitant to buy their headphones without at least listening to them first.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #24,872 of 29,490
They
Man those are beast! How are they compare with m80? And are they like beats? Full of bass and muffles the highs and mids as it is a dj headphone and most of it are quite bassy though and damn I need one with remote control though for travel uses..

They actually don't sound like DJ headphones are are quite good. They are not warm sounding and don't sound anything like the beats (despise beats greatly!). The bass is like the best bass I've ever heard and theyre definily a well balanced headphone. Totally recommend them and they are quite better than the m-80. They don't have crazy bass quantity but man these things aren't muddy at all. Great mids.

Also, for $200, if you can save up, get the UE 6000. It has a detachable cable, remote on it, looks nice, and sounds awesome. It has a tad more bass than the k167. Here's a review:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #24,873 of 29,490
Hello again,

My new Audio Tehnica AD900x will be arriving within a week. I was wondering if the sound card Xonar DX will be enough for them, because I really do not have any more money to get anything better right now. Is an amp necessary for them?

Thank you very much.

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #24,874 of 29,490
Hi everyone :)

I'm thinking of branching into the world of closed, over ear headphones and am looking for some advice on isolation/leaking.

I recently bought some Shure se215 IEMs for portable use, however listening to my brother trying them out I found that sitting opposite him at a table I could hear quite a bit of what he was listening to - that tinny leak guaranteed to irritate people around you. I don't know if he just wasn't wearing them right but I really don't want to repeat this mistake when I buy some headphones.

Reason being that I'm a student, and I need to be able to use the headphones in a dead silent library, with other people studying around me. I've owned a pair of sennheiser ear buds for years and was safe in the knowledge that nobody around me could hear a sound from my ears, even if I cranked the volume right up. I NEED this to be the case with whatever headphones I buy!

I was considering the Beyer dt770/80ohms because from what I've read they're comfy, bassy, and I thought the isolation was meant to be pretty decent...it just might not be decent enough!

So, my budget is around £200, though I could stretch quite a bit further if necessary so don't pay too much attention to that. I'm happy to look into sound profiles/amps/price myself, what I'm after is a list of the most low leaking headphones people can think of!

Many thanks in advance :) x

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #24,876 of 29,490
Originally Posted by jessthebest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm thinking of branching into the world of closed, over ear headphones and am looking for some advice on isolation/leaking.

Are you willing to do a little bit of legwork to achieve it? My mod on the AKG K167 can give you exactly what you're looking for.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #24,879 of 29,490
Quote:
The 750 is better at everything--plain and simple, including build quality.  As one of the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread accurately states: "an all around more refined version of the HFI-780."

how are they comfort wise? can they be used for 6+ hours a day?

also do the 750's require an amp for computer use?

I'm looking at the 750's vs the DT770's for PC/gaming use using this, is this enough to power them adequately?

http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamp-pro-2013-edition

Power Output: 70mW 32ohm per channel    

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #24,880 of 29,490
I'm taking the plunge on my first post after lurking around here for a month or so.

I am looking to upgrade my home set up, primarily for use at the computer; headphones, amp, and DAC. I don't have any extra PCI slots so a sound card upgrade is not possible. I will also use the headphones around my apartment with a Fiio E11 and a home theater receiver.

Music is mostly progressive rock/metal, but I also listen to quite a bit of electronic and dance music and 80s pop stuff (e.g. Duran Duran or New Order), and I dabble in pretty much everything else besides country and dirty rap.

I currently have a pair of modded HD555s and a pair of DT770/80s.  Overall I enjoy the sound profile of the HD555s more since it seems the mids come through a little better and the bass is a little less pronounced.  However I do really like the DT770s as well and don't have any real complaints about them.  I will undoubtedly spend more money on this later, but not thousands...yet, so ability to scale up is also something to consider.

I was pretty set on getting the HD650s and then was looking at a Magni/Modi combo as a cheap entry into a desktop setup.  But then I heard about the HE400s as an alternative and am interested in the whole orthos thing (faster response, more accurate sound?).  I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #24,881 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm new here but I've had Shure SRH-840's since September, these are my first "hi-fi" headphones, but I decided on them after doing a lot of research. They are very good headphones from a well respected brand and I think that the "mid-bass hump" does not colour music excessively, but really makes vocal types of music sound great. The effect is maybe a bit more warm than neutral. I would not call these "bass monsters" and I feel they're a bit lacking with bass focused genres since they drop off in the audible sub-bass region. Since you listen to rock and punk I think you would be very happy with Shure headphones :)

As for Logitech UE 6000, be careful of letting a single review sway your judgement, read what as many people say as you can find. Logitech is mostly focused on consumers and gamers so I would be hesitant to buy their headphones without at least listening to them first.

Thanks for the input, its very much appreciated. I will be getting the Shure SRH-840's. Since my last post I've been looking at reviews of both headphones and it seems as the Shure has more positive ratings so that pretty much cemented my decision. Once I receive them, I might make a follow up post. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #24,882 of 29,490
do you find the tiestos comfortable?

Not stock. Modded, they're the cat's meow.

Yeah, I'm willing to put in as many (wo)man hours as required! I'm pretty technically minded...on the other hand I know absolutely nothing about headphones...how tricky was your mod to do? ...And what did you do?!
tongue.gif

Well, you need the headphone, obviously, and you need to get a set of Shure SRH-750 pads from Amazon (if you live in the U.S., they cost only about $15), as well as a bottle of superglue.

1. First, what you do is you peel off the stock pads from the AKG and set them aside, you'll be using them later.
  2. Take the Shure pads and attach them to the AKG. They'll fit like they were made for them.
  3. Then, take the stock AKG pads, put a line of superglue around the rim of the lip of the bottom of the pad, and place them on top of the Shure pads, making sure they're as centered as possible (once you put them on, they're on for good), and pressing down on the pads for about twenty seconds.

Bang. Crazy isolating headphone. Essentially improved from stock in every way.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #24,883 of 29,490
Interested in buying some closed back full size headphones (can be open too if good). Will listen ampless on ipod touch or laptop. Bass is very important, the more the better, but not while overshadowing mids much (like xbr5000). Listen to all kinds of music but would like a good, deep bass. (hip hop, dubstep, also rock)  Budget is 0-150$.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #24,884 of 29,490
Interested in buying some closed back full size headphones (can be open too if good). Will listen ampless on ipod touch or laptop. Bass is very important, the more the better, but not while overshadowing mids much (like xbr5000). Listen to all kinds of music but would like a good, deep bass. (hip hop, dubstep, also rock)  Budget is 0-150$.

Sounds like Audio Technica M50 would be good. I think they fit all your criteria pretty well.

I haven't personally heard them, but I did some quick Google-fu and I think the Creative Aurvana Live might fit your preferences as well. Someone else should weigh in on that before you take my word for it though.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #24,885 of 29,490
Quote:

Sounds like Audio Technica M50 would be good. I think they fit all your criteria pretty well.

I haven't personally heard them, but I did some quick Google-fu and I think the Creative Aurvana Live might fit your preferences as well. Someone else should weigh in on that before you take my word for it though.

Thanks for answer.
M50 seems good but i heard its low on bass. Was considering beyer dt770 but i heard their not very good ampless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back