++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 17, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #24,856 of 29,490
WHAT HEADPHONES SHOULD I GET

Headphones for hip hopmetal, rock and some electronic

Im new here and need some help :)

Iam looking into getting headphones for portable use eg. on the train
I also want to use it for when Im studying and doing school work!

My budget is 150-200, max 250

his includes headphones and cables + amp if needed

I DONT CARE ABOUT LOOKS !

but if they look good id be happy :)

I listen mainly to old school sampled boom bap hip hop, some metal and a little bit of electronic and rock.

favourite artists are wu tang, kendrick lamar, big l, metalica, oasis and of course J DILLA

I have been told that vmoda's are good, are they ?

I currently have sienheiser 280 pros for music production and want other headphones for listening purposes

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #24,857 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.  BTW: they give a mid bass hump but at the same time don't take you too far beyond neutral.

Thanks but I've got one more question for you: According to InnerFidelity the Shure was "retired" due to the Logitech UE 6000. Out of the two, should I still opt for the Shure?

I haven't heard the UE 6000, so I can't tell you.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #24,858 of 29,490
Quote:
Im almost centered on the HFI-780s for the good mix of good, clear, non-one note bass, the forward mids and the clear and extended highs, the foldable and very durable design, and the $150 for them. What does the extra $50 do for the 750 pros? If its a big noticeable difference besides sound quality (I dont see many differences besides that) I may consider that jump.

The 750 is better at everything--plain and simple, including build quality.  As one of the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread accurately states: "an all around more refined version of the HFI-780."

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #24,859 of 29,490
WHAT HEADPHONES SHOULD I GET

Headphones for hip hopmetal, rock and some electronic

Im new here and need some help :)

Iam looking into getting headphones for portable use eg. on the train

I also want to use it for when Im studying and doing school work!

My budget is 150-200, max 250

his includes headphones and cables + amp if needed

I DONT CARE ABOUT LOOKS !

but if they look good id be happy :)

I listen mainly to old school sampled boom bap hip hop, some metal and a little bit of electronic and rock.

favourite artists are wu tang, kendrick lamar, big l, metalica, oasis and of course J DILLA

I have been told that vmoda's are good, are they ?

I currently have sienheiser 280 pros for music production and want other headphones for listening purposes

The vmoda m80 are very good IMO for a bassy can and seem pretty rugged. They might struggle a bit with certain subgenres of electronic music due to the smaller soundstage, but otherwise will do well. They have them on display at some radioshacks and third party apple/cellular stores. Your local mall is sure to have a set for you to try

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #24,861 of 29,490
Quote:
I cant tell wether there fashion head phones like beats or actuall good headphones

V-Moda makes lifestyle headphones that are deeper than just their looks.  One, the very same M-80, is even on Tyll's Wall Fame:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #24,862 of 29,490
Quote:
Yup--read for yourself:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/superlux-hd-668b-and-hd-681-headphones

Thanks. He talks about how excessively bright sounding they both are, but are better if you equalize them. Since I don't have a way to equalize them with my receiver, should I pass on them for movies? Or is the bright sound not a problem for movies? My 3rd choice was the Samson SR850.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #24,865 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Yup--read for yourself:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/superlux-hd-668b-and-hd-681-headphones

Thanks. He talks about how excessively bright sounding they both are, but are better if you equalize them. Since I don't have a way to equalize them with my receiver, should I pass on them for movies? Or is the bright sound not a problem for movies? My 3rd choice was the Samson SR850.

Your receiver does not have treble adjustment?  That's essentially what Tyll did with his phone.

Beyond that the Sampson is $60.  That's the same price as the KRK KNS 6400 here:

http://www.hellomusic.com/

Get the 6400 while the price holds.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #24,866 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
990's are open and won't work for travel.

They work for me I use them while I walk in the street. I  can be more aware of cars around and I like the urban sounds mixing with my music :wink:

But the folks around you on the street are also more aware of you, LOL...

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #24,867 of 29,490
are there any other headphones better, Cause they keep being compared to beats and those other crappy headphones

I just want head phones that sound good not beutifull looking ones

They really are quite well regarded around here. They get compared to beats because they are a "basshead can". Personally if found the bass a little too much, but if you mainly listen to beat driven music (eg every genre you listed) they are a great choice. I preferred the Logitech ue6000 in my listening tests but it will need batteries to get the same bass impact and its a touch less controlled with the active circuits on. Note also that I prefer a sterile studio sound, with a touch of eq to inject the "fun"
Why dont you tell us what you think of your 280s? What do they do well? Where could they use improvement

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #24,869 of 29,490
Quote:
Your receiver does not have treble adjustment?  That's essentially what Tyll did with his phone.

Beyond that the Sampson is $60.  That's the same price as the KRK KNS 6400 here:

If it does have treble adjustmant, I don't know about it. It's an older dolby digital receiver. But I wouldn't want to have to mess with it every time I use headphones anyway. Then set it back again after. So do you think I should pass on the HD681 and HD668 then? And the KRK you mention says it's a closed design.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #24,870 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

If it does have treble adjustmant, I don't know about it. It's an older dolby digital receiver. But I wouldn't want to have to mess with it every time I use headphones anyway. Then set it back again after. So do you think I should pass on the HD681 and HD668 then? And the KRK you mention says it's a closed design.

I'd save up more money.  At your budget point, you're just going to have to pick your poison.  The KRK is closed, but has a balanced sound signature and a very good sound stage for a closed can.

All these semi open cans are trying to be the AKG K 240 Studio--or something very close to it.  A real one costs between $60 and $100 at Amazon.  Unfortunately, it is currently near the high end of that range.  It was at the low end about a month or so ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back