++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #24,841 of 29,490
What kind of sound signature do you want?

Great question... but I don't exactly know how to answer that. 
confused_face_2.gif

I don't really think I have a preference at the moment since I don't have much experience with this. What would you recommend with taking into account the type of music that I listen to?

Right now, I'm reading over "Describing Sound" thread and I want to say analytical since I'm thinking that it means everything is highly detailed but I feel like I'm not answering your question correctly. /fail.

Honestly, the best I can come up with is that I don't want excessive bass (nothing boomy). I guess more emphasis on the mids and highs..?

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #24,842 of 29,490
Quote:
looking at DT770 Pro's, ultrasone HFI 780's or the 750 Pro's.

OK I plan on using these mainly for listening to music on my PC and gaming on my xbox 360, I also have already purchased a 2013 Astro mix-amp for gaming and live streaming while using any of these headphones.

from what I have read it seems the 750 pros's have a tighter/cleaner bass than the 780's but less quantity, but have the removable cable (which I like) and the better velour pads.

I listen mainly to EDM, trance, chill step , dub step, etc. but listen to everything from Lana Del Rey, Nightwish, Epica, to country and led zeppelin.

I know the ultrasones excel in the genres mentioned, how do the DT770's do? and will I need/want an amp besides the astro mix-amp?

also comfort is a huge concern, as I'll be wearing these easily for 6+ hours a day, I wear glasses and have a shaved head if that makes any difference lol.

this is my first foray into closed headphones I have a few pair of IEM's that I like.

I started off with klipsch s4's then moved to Monster Gold Turbine Pros, if I could get something very similar sound signature wise to the MGTP's I'd be in heaven.

My budget is pretty firm @ $200, if there is another pair of headphone's I've over looked feel free to mention them please!.

thanks in advance for the help

edit: I have a feeling that the DT770's are the better "overall" sound, but the ultasones excel in the EDM/electric stuff?

Chad

The mids of the 770's are very recessed. 

The Pro 750 is by far the best of this group, especially if you want strong bass but a balanced sound.  They need an amp, but I have no idea what yours can push. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #24,843 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for some cans in the maximum of 200 dollar range. I've used Denon AH-D1000s for years and loved them. lets say something bad happened with them and have to look for another pair of cans.. I do prefer more bass  type cans like the Denons but it isnt that big of a deal. When I wear cans, i literally bring them around everywhere so they have to be durable, comfortable, but something that clamps down enough so the cans don t fall off the ears constantly outside. Use mostly with the ipod touch/smart phone, dont really use amps etc.. As far as High Mid etc goes, I'd prefer something thats decent all around.

I've looked into the m50s and Sennheiser 439s. they both sound great from what ive read but the fact that the 439s fall of the ears easily is a big downside for me. I was thinking of just buying the Denon 1001s but I wanted to try out another brand for once. I see you guys recommending the senn Amperior. 

ps im just sad fed ex messed up mailing my rewired Denon 2000s and in turn someone stole them apparently =\ 

Hi

I dont like Fed Ex since I saw that video of the Fed Ex Guy throwing from the sidewalk a LCD screen to the yard of the house :frowning2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZN28PNPP7A

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #24,844 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone! I'm new to this community (actually this is my first post out of hopefully many more to come). Right now I'm at the brink of buying my first higher end type of headphone. I've skimmed through some threads in this site and even read some reviews at InnerFidelity. Out of everything that I read, these headphones were either mentioned the most or caught my attention in one way or another (lol):

Audio-Technica ATH M-50
Ultrasone HFI-580
Sony MDR-XB700 
V-MODA Crossfade LP2
V-MODA M-100 
Noontec Zoro
Philips Fidelio L1
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD 239

Now here's some info about myself to give a better idea of how I'm going to use these headphones:

Comfort is going to be a big thing since I have to commute to go to school and during my breaks I travel. So these headphones need to be comfortable and they shouldn't leak a lot. But I don't mind minor leaking and I don't have the volume up too loud anyway (less than 40%).

Usage wise - Kind of already discussed that I'm going to do a lot of traveling but other than that home/office use. Oh and I also do some gaming.

Type of music I listen to - Pretty much everything except country and jazz (those I listen to sparingly). If I had to name what I listened to the most then it would be Alternative, Pop, Indie Rock, and Punk. Although, recently I've been listening to a lot of Classical.

Durability - I tend to be careful with my stuff but since I, again, do a lot of traveling sometimes stuff happens so I don't want anything that will break easily.

Two more things: 

1)I'm not really looking into in-ear/earbuds type of headphones since that's what I've been using until now. But other than that, I don't care whether your recommendation is over ear, on ear, closed, open, etc.

2)Budget: max is $200 (As I previously mentioned, this is going to be my first major headphone purchase and I just want to "test" how things go first. If I have a good experience with this, I'll probably be more willing to spend more cash but for now I'm thinking that $200 is plenty.)

I've tried to be as specific as possible to, hopefully, make it easier on you guys to make recommendations. Thanks for any help!

P.S. The headphones listed above aren't the headphones that I'm currently choosing from. I also know the importance of actually trying the headphones out before actually buying them and I get that a lot of the "choosing process" is connected to personal preference but it never hurt to ask for an experienced response. I have also already tried some headphones including Bose QuietComfort 15, Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD, Soul by Ludacris, Klipsch, Sennheiser, Sony, and whatever else was available at Best Buy. 

Almost all of the cans on your list are bass oriented. which are terrible for classical and a number of other genres.  The Philips is above your budget.  The Senn is just OK.  The best of what you can afford is clearly the Shure SRH 840.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #24,845 of 29,490
Quote:
Almost all of the cans on your list are bass oriented. which are terrible for classical and a number of other genres.  The Philips is above your budget.  The Senn is just OK.  The best of what you can afford is clearly the Shure SRH 840.

But the P.S. in my post clearly states: "The headphones listed above aren't the headphones that I'm currently choosing from." In the beginning of my first post, I simply stated that those headphones were mentioned on more than one occasion while I was browsing through forums and reviews so I listed them to get people's opinions on them. Also, in my second post, I said that I didn't want excessive bass. Bass is fine, nothing wrong with bass. 
smile.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #24,846 of 29,490
Quote:
Look into the Soundmagic HP100's. Excellent for their price and very durable.

I looked, and they look quite promising, although the parts that get me are that;
The max input power seems quite low, considering I have a big mix of stuff theyll be getting source from, rather its my Fiio, a big PA, home theater, etc and Im not so sure about that low an input limit.

It also is off-putting that they arent as portable as some people would like, although the durability does look solid, and its foldable

Quote:
Ultrasone Pro 750 just squeak into your budget.  You're Fiio should probably drive them, but I can't say for sure.

Those seem right where Id like but outside my budget, Im quite firm on the 200 max for these cans, and I very much ask for new phones vs refurb or otherwise. Otherwise great recommendation though, thanks!

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #24,847 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
thanks again Urbex Girl.

I don't think I can honestly go wrong with either...time to flip a coin lol.

LOL Yw :D

I got hooked with the sound of Beyerdynamics :) , bought my DT 770's almost a year ago and I just recently upgraded with the DT990's and Im really in love of this new one too. :)

990's are open and won't work for travel.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #24,849 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

But the P.S. in my post clearly states: "The headphones listed above aren't the headphones that I'm currently choosing from. In the beginning of my first post, I simply stated that those headphones were mentioned on more than once occasion while I was browsing through forums and reviews so I listed them to get people's opinions on them. Also, in my second post, I said that I didn't want excessive bass. Bass is fine, nothing wrong with bass. 
smile.gif

You listed 9 cans.  One would assume that they are the top 9 from your research.  If not--what's the point of naming them?

Bass oriented = bass significantly above neutral = excessive bass.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #24,850 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Ultrasone Pro 750 just squeak into your budget.  You're Fiio should probably drive them, but I can't say for sure.

Those seem right where Id like but outside my budget, Im quite firm on the 200 max for these cans, and I very much ask for new phones vs refurb or otherwise. Otherwise great recommendation though, thanks!

Just saw a new pair from an Amazon third party seller for $199.95.  Under the old math I was taught that works for a budget of $200 or less.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #24,851 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys! 

Glad I joined the community...I recently picked up a pair of AKG F550's. I've watched a few reviews on youtube, read posts on this forum and I was sold on them. I got my package today, gave them a listen and they sounded incredible...I just want a little more bass. I returned them because the build quality has gone extremely down. I thought they were built out of aluminum but mine were all plastic which was a bummer. I did love the sound quality of them and the fact they're closed back headphones. I do understand you have to listen up to 100 hours before they "burn" in, but even with my e10 on bass boost it wasn't something I wanted. Also I made sure they were sealed perfectly...

Anyways, I've owned 2 pairs of Beat by Dre's but hated them. I loved their simplicity and their sound wasn't that bad for the type of music I listen to. I had the Studios/Pro's. Studios I loved the bass in those, but sometimes at high volumes they'd hurt my ears and they leak like crazy. Vocals would get distorted, etc...You guys know. Beat Pro's squeezed my head and I got headaches.

The type of headphones i'd like would be something that sound identical to the AKG F550's but with more bass. I hate the look of DJ headphones, so i don't want anything looking too crazy. I'd use these majority for home/school use. I was originally interested in the Sennheiser HD600 / 650's but they're open backs. If the leaking isn't that bad, I may go with the sennheiser HD650's. 

I don't consider myself a basshead at all, I love balance with highs & mids, but some days i'd like alittle bass if i'm in the mood :)

Things I'd like in a good pair of cans
- Under $450 
- Can require an amp (I have a Fiio E10 hopefully this is something I could work with)
- Aesthetically pleasing / Simple design 
- Closed back or Open Back 
- Minimal Leaking (if possible)

Let me know what you guys think I may look into. 

Thanks! 

vmoda m100 is a really nice bass-emphasizing headphones. I really like them, but I am not an audiophile. The bass does have good impact without being muddy. All the other frequencies seems clear to me and the bass is tight and punchy. My ears are not as well-developed as other people here though, but I would suggest you try it! 

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #24,852 of 29,490
Quote:
You listed 9 cans.  One would assume that they are the top 9 from your research.  If not--what's the point of naming them?

I presumed there were different levels of how much a pair of headphones was bass oriented... I'm just confused. Ok, toss that idea out. I think to make this easier on both of us, I'll just go with the 9 that I listed and just toss out the fact that I said I've started listening to classical more. It isn't really that big a deal since I still listen to other genres. Which of those 9 would you recommend? The Shure?

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #24,853 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I presumed there were different levels of how much a pair of headphones was bass oriented... I'm just confused. Ok, toss that idea out. I think to make this easier on both of us, I'll just go with the 9 that I listed and just toss out the fact that I said I've started listening to classical more. It isn't really that big a deal since I still listen to other genres. Which of those 9 would you recommend? The Shure?

Yes.  BTW: they give a mid bass hump but at the same time don't take you too far beyond neutral.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #24,855 of 29,490
Im almost centered on the HFI-780s for the good mix of good, clear, non-one note bass, the forward mids and the clear and extended highs, the foldable and very durable design, and the $150 for them. What does the extra $50 do for the 750 pros? If its a big noticeable difference besides sound quality (I dont see many differences besides that) I may consider that jump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back