++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #24,826 of 29,490
As
I have actually thought about it before. But for the design I won't really be fond with. It looks like it is for gamers and I don't like the fact that it can't be folded for portable use. Thanks for your recommendations though!

Aw man, your killing me. IMO, they look beautiful! Well, OK let me think of something else...

Well these dont have a detachable cable and do fold: AKG K167 TIËSTO. You can get them for $150 new via amazon.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #24,827 of 29,490
As
Aw man, your killing me. IMO, they look beautiful! Well, OK let me think of something else...

Well these dont have a detachable cable and do fold: AKG K167 TIËSTO. You can get them for $150 new via amazon.
Man those are beast! How are they compare with m80? And are they like beats? Full of bass and muffles the highs and mids as it is a dj headphone and most of it are quite bassy though and damn I need one with remote control though for travel uses..

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #24,828 of 29,490
Hi friends Im new user in this forum but already got some gear by reading it more than a year ago :D

I love music a lot I love mixing music in my free time and I love making  tons of new friends :D

Sorry if I wrote this in the wrong place, this website is huge :)

popcorn.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #24,829 of 29,490
Ill simplify what Im looking for to keep it easy.

I want a comfortable pair of closed cans, but I want more stress put on the durability of them. Plastic is almost not an option unless its out of the ordinary.

I need over the ear closed for isolation and the environments I work in.
I want accurate punchy bass, as well as emphasis on not bleeding out into other frequencies.
Clear mids are a big point of contention, as well as highs that at least dont exhibit sibilance or hiss. Needless to say from that, I want good separation.

Also needs to be able to be driven by at most, a Fiio e07k dac/amp.

Beyond that, pluses if it has; detachable cable and/or some parts are easily replaceable. Also a plus if its foldable, but again I want durability first alongside sound quality. Big cans are no problem as long as theyre fine around an average neck/head.

Price range no more than 200

Some sets that came to mind and researched

ATH-m50s; seems too punchy and over-emphasized in bass for what Id like
ATH-PRO700mk2 seems too bass heavy and DJ oriented
DT880/770 out of my price range
Ultrasone HFI580/780 have recessed mids, although these get really close to what Im looking for.
KNK KNS8400 I would love to except its more neutral across all frequencies (being as their monitoring phones beyond anything), rather than playing back recordings with emphasis on what they intended. Ergo from what I read, it normalizes the frequencies rather than plays them back accurately as-is

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #24,830 of 29,490
looking at DT770 Pro's, ultrasone HFI 780's or the 750 Pro's.

OK I plan on using these mainly for listening to music on my PC and gaming on my xbox 360, I also have already purchased a 2013 Astro mix-amp for gaming and live streaming while using any of these headphones.

from what I have read it seems the 750 pros's have a tighter/cleaner bass than the 780's but less quantity, but have the removable cable (which I like) and the better velour pads.

I listen mainly to EDM, trance, chill step , dub step, etc. but listen to everything from Lana Del Rey, Nightwish, Epica, to country and led zeppelin.

I know the ultrasones excel in the genres mentioned, how do the DT770's do? and will I need/want an amp besides the astro mix-amp?

also comfort is a huge concern, as I'll be wearing these easily for 6+ hours a day, I wear glasses and have a shaved head if that makes any difference lol.

this is my first foray into closed headphones I have a few pair of IEM's that I like.

I started off with klipsch s4's then moved to Monster Gold Turbine Pros, if I could get something very similar sound signature wise to the MGTP's I'd be in heaven.

My budget is pretty firm @ $200, if there is another pair of headphone's I've over looked feel free to mention them please!.

thanks in advance for the help

edit: I have a feeling that the DT770's are the better "overall" sound, but the ultasones excel in the EDM/electric stuff?

Chad

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #24,831 of 29,490
Quote:
looking at DT770 Pro's, ultrasone HFI 780's or the 750 Pro's.

OK I plan on using these mainly for listening to music on my PC and gaming on my xbox 360, I also have already purchased a 2013 Astro mix-amp for gaming and live streaming while using any of these headphones.

from what I have read it seems the 750 pros's have a tighter/cleaner bass than the 780's but less quantity, but have the removable cable (which I like) and the better velour pads.

I listen mainly to EDM, trance, chill step , dub step, etc. but listen to everything from Lana Del Rey, Nightwish, Epica, to country and led zeppelin.

I know the ultrasones excel in the genres mentioned, how do the DT770's do? and will I need/want an amp besides the astro mix-amp?

also comfort is a huge concern, as I'll be wearing these easily for 6+ hours a day, I wear glasses and have a shaved head if that makes any difference lol.

this is my first foray into closed headphones I have a few pair of IEM's that I like.

I started off with klipsch s4's then moved to Monster Gold Turbine Pros, if I could get something very similar sound signature wise to the MGTP's I'd be in heaven.

My budget is pretty firm @ $200, if there is another pair of headphone's I've over looked feel free to mention them please!.

thanks in advance for the help

edit: I have a feeling that the DT770's are the better "overall" sound, but the ultasones excel in the EDM/electric stuff?

Chad

Hi

I have the DT 770 and  the Ultrasone Pro 900, Both are closed and the bass is awesome in both. I chose the DT 770 to use it  in the street because Im mostly all the time outside , with my cowon and  sometimes a Fiio e11 amp.   For the price the DT 770 Pro 80 ohms is more close to your budget I guess :) , the Pro 900 sounds more cool for me to listen to well recorded live concerts like Depeche Mode 101 or Pink Floyd Pulse :) and the price is much more higher than the DT770's  so I prefer keeping them safe at home.

DT770's are super comfy over glasses I use them over sun glasses and I have no issues.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #24,832 of 29,490
Hello everyone! I'm new to this community (actually this is my first post out of hopefully many more to come). Right now I'm at the brink of buying my first higher end type of headphone. I've skimmed through some threads in this site and even read some reviews at InnerFidelity. Out of everything that I read, these headphones were either mentioned the most or caught my attention in one way or another (lol):

Audio-Technica ATH M-50
Ultrasone HFI-580
Sony MDR-XB700 
V-MODA Crossfade LP2
V-MODA M-100 
Noontec Zoro
Philips Fidelio L1
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD 239

Now here's some info about myself to give a better idea of how I'm going to use these headphones:

Comfort is going to be a big thing since I have to commute to go to school and during my breaks I travel. So these headphones need to be comfortable and they shouldn't leak a lot. But I don't mind minor leaking and I don't have the volume up too loud anyway (less than 40%).

Usage wise - Kind of already discussed that I'm going to do a lot of traveling but other than that home/office use. Oh and I also do some gaming.

Type of music I listen to - Pretty much everything except country and jazz (those I listen to sparingly). If I had to name what I listened to the most then it would be Alternative, Pop, Indie Rock, and Punk. Although, recently I've been listening to a lot of Classical.

Durability - I tend to be careful with my stuff but since I, again, do a lot of traveling sometimes stuff happens so I don't want anything that will break easily.

Two more things: 

1)I'm not really looking into in-ear/earbuds type of headphones since that's what I've been using until now. But other than that, I don't care whether your recommendation is over ear, on ear, closed, open, etc.

2)Budget: max is $200 (As I previously mentioned, this is going to be my first major headphone purchase and I just want to "test" how things go first. If I have a good experience with this, I'll probably be more willing to spend more cash but for now I'm thinking that $200 is plenty.)

I've tried to be as specific as possible to, hopefully, make it easier on you guys to make recommendations. Thanks for any help!

P.S. The headphones listed above aren't the headphones that I'm currently choosing from. I also know the importance of actually trying the headphones out before actually buying them and I get that a lot of the "choosing process" is connected to personal preference but it never hurt to ask for an experienced response. I have also already tried some headphones including Bose QuietComfort 15, Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD, Soul by Ludacris, Klipsch, Sennheiser, Sony, and whatever else was available at Best Buy. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #24,833 of 29,490
Quote:

Hi

I have the DT 770 and  the Ultrasone Pro 900, Both are closed and the bass is awesome in both. I chose the DT 770 to use it  in the street because Im mostly all the time outside , with my cowon and  sometimes a Fiio e11 amp.   For the price the DT 770 Pro 80 ohms is more close to your budget I guess :) , the Pro 900 sounds more cool for me to listen to well recorded live concerts like Depeche Mode 101 or Pink Floyd Pulse :) and the price is much more higher than the DT770's  so I prefer keeping them safe at home.

DT770's are super comfy over glasses I use them over sun glasses and I have no issues.

thanks for the quick reply.

yeah the $200 budget is pretty much set in stone after springing for the mix amp for console gaming.

I'm worried that the DT770's need to be amped though compared to the ultrasones is this the case, or will the mixamp + pc setup be ok?

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #24,834 of 29,490

I want a comfortable pair of closed cans, but I want more stress put on the durability of them. Plastic is almost not an option unless its out of the ordinary.

I want accurate punchy bass, as well as emphasis on not bleeding out into other frequencies.
Clear mids are a big point of contention, as well as highs that at least dont exhibit sibilance or hiss. Needless to say from that, I want good separation.

Beyond that, pluses if it has; detachable cable and/or some parts are easily replaceable. Also a plus if its foldable, but again I want durability first alongside sound quality. Big cans are no problem as long as theyre fine around an average neck/head.

Ultrasone HFI580/780 have recessed mids, although these get really close to what Im looking for.
KNK KNS8400 I would love to except its more neutral across all frequencies (being as their monitoring phones beyond anything), rather than playing back recordings with emphasis on what they intended. Ergo from what I read, it normalizes the frequencies rather than plays them back accurately as-is

Look into the Soundmagic HP100's. Excellent for their price and very durable.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #24,835 of 29,490
Quote:
thanks for the quick reply.

yeah the $200 budget is pretty much set in stone after springing for the mix amp for console gaming.

I'm worried that the DT770's need to be amped though compared to the ultrasones is this the case, or will the mixamp + pc setup be ok?

Yw :)

I dont really know the mixamp but in my personal experience with my DT770's I can tell you that I have no problems driving  them with my Cowon Z2 and my Ipod Touch. When I put the mini amp (Fio E11) I just get the pleasure of more tight bass in Dubstep songs or TripHop songs. 80 ohms may sound like they need to much power but not really I get very good volume in my mp3 players when I raise it almost at the top :)

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #24,836 of 29,490
Hello everyone! I'm new to this community (actually this is my first post out of hopefully many more to come). Right now I'm at the brink of buying my first higher end type of headphone. I've skimmed through some threads in this site and even read some reviews at InnerFidelity. Out of everything that I read, these headphones were either mentioned the most or caught my attention in one way or another (lol):

Audio-Technica ATH M-50
Ultrasone HFI-580
Sony MDR-XB700 
V-MODA Crossfade LP2
V-MODA M-100 
Noontec Zoro
Philips Fidelio L1
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD 239

Now here's some info about myself to give a better idea of how I'm going to use these headphones:

Comfort is going to be a big thing since I have to commute to go to school and during my breaks I travel. So these headphones need to be comfortable and they shouldn't leak a lot. But I don't mind minor leaking and I don't have the volume up too loud anyway (less than 40%).

Usage wise - Kind of already discussed that I'm going to do a lot of traveling but other than that home/office use. Oh and I also do some gaming.

Type of music I listen to - Pretty much everything except country and jazz (those I listen to sparingly). If I had to name what I listened to the most then it would be Alternative, Pop, Indie Rock, and Punk. Although, recently I've been listening to a lot of Classical.

Durability - I tend to be careful with my stuff but since I, again, do a lot of traveling sometimes stuff happens so I don't want anything that will break easily.

Two more things: 

1)I'm not really looking into in-ear/earbuds type of headphones since that's what I've been using until now. But other than that, I don't care whether your recommendation is over ear, on ear, closed, open, etc.

2)Budget: max is $200 (As I previously mentioned, this is going to be my first major headphone purchase and I just want to "test" how things go first. If I have a good experience with this, I'll probably be more willing to spend more cash but for now I'm thinking that $200 is plenty.)

I've tried to be as specific as possible to, hopefully, make it easier on you guys to make recommendations. Thanks for any help!

P.S. The headphones listed above aren't the headphones that I'm currently choosing from. I also know the importance of actually trying the headphones out before actually buying them and I get that a lot of the "choosing process" is connected to personal preference but it never hurt to ask for an experienced response. I have also already tried some headphones including Bose QuietComfort 15, Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD, Soul by Ludacris, Klipsch, Sennheiser, Sony, and whatever else was available at Best Buy. 

What kind of sound signature do you want?

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #24,837 of 29,490
Quote:

Yw :)

I dont really know the mixamp but in my personal experience with my DT770's I can tell you that I have no problems driving  them with my Cowon Z2 and my Ipod Touch. When I put the mini amp (Fio E11) I just get the pleasure of more tight bass in Dubstep songs or TripHop songs. 80 ohms may sound like they need to much power but not really I get very good volume in my mp3 players when I raise it almost at the top :)

thanks again Urbex Girl.

I don't think I can honestly go wrong with either...time to flip a coin lol.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #24,839 of 29,490
Quote:

Ultrasone Pro 750 just squeak into your budget.  You're Fiio should probably drive them, but I can't say for sure.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #24,840 of 29,490
I am looking for some cans in the maximum of 200 dollar range. I've used Denon AH-D1000s for years and loved them. lets say something bad happened with them and have to look for another pair of cans.. I do prefer more bass  type cans like the Denons but it isnt that big of a deal. When I wear cans, i literally bring them around everywhere so they have to be durable, comfortable, but something that clamps down enough so the cans don t fall off the ears constantly outside. Use mostly with the ipod touch/smart phone, dont really use amps etc.. As far as High Mid etc goes, I'd prefer something thats decent all around.

I've looked into the m50s and Sennheiser 439s. they both sound great from what ive read but the fact that the 439s fall of the ears easily is a big downside for me. I was thinking of just buying the Denon 1001s but I wanted to try out another brand for once. I see you guys recommending the senn Amperior. 

ps im just sad fed ex messed up mailing my rewired Denon 2000s and in turn someone stole them apparently =\ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back