++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #24,736 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm freshly joined and hoping someone could give me guidance as I choose my headphones.

Up until now I have been using these phillips headphones (they kicked the bucket on me after 1.5 yrs),
http://www.aztekcomputers.com/SHL500028-PHILLIPS-2109133.html

As implied in the title I am looking at the Shure SRH 440, KRK KNS 6400, and Fostex T40RPmkII. As someone who listens mainly to jazz, blues, classical, folk, indie, etc. as well as rock and even the occasional metal or punk band, I am looking for a balanced sound. What gets me is a nice, balanced bass with good texturing, and natural sounding mids/highs (when the guitar plays an E2, I want to hear that beautiful texture, when the clarinet plays a D3, I want to hear the rosewood in its tone).

In other words I'm not in to artificially pumped or damped sound, really in any way. I love to hear everything my music and instruments can provide in and of themselves. I think I want the closed headphone style as I am in college and isolation is necessary sometimes. I use my headphones out and about as well, not just at home. I've been creeping the forums for a while now, so I believe I want one of these, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Guidance on my first foray into the audiophile world will be greatly appreciated.

Price point
$100 (saving game here)

Use
Vinyl records, mp3+phone, computer
various genres
walking about outside, library, dorm room, everywhere essentially

Thank you in advance
~Justin

I own the SHL5000/28 also.  It is currently for sale at less than $8 new on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHL5000-28-Headband-Headphone/dp/B004JU0E7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360901054&sr=8-1&keywords=shl+5000.  I very highly recommend them at that price.  (I bought them for $5 used, by the way.) There are two Philips headphones that I would consider to be natural steps up from it.  They are the SHL5500, currently available for less than $22 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHL5500-28-Headband-Headphone/dp/B004JU0E8K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360901193&sr=1-1&keywords=shl+5500) and the Philips SHL 5605 (Cityscape Downtown), which costs less than $60.  If you are on a tight budget, the SHL 5500 at $22 would make sense.  See the thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/574331/the-philips-shl5500-natural-sounding-can, which includes a comparison with the Cityscape Downtown.  Other good choices below $60 include the Beyerdynamic DT235 and the Koss TBSE ($50 at Tuesday Morning).  For a little more money, the CAL! is the best sounding of the bunch and brings out the "texture" that you want.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #24,738 of 29,490
Quote:
help me please!!

You're gonna need to put out some more info than that =X.

What is your budget?  What kind of music to you listen to?  What will you be using your headphones for (portable vs. home use)?  Is it important that they prevent sound from leaking in or out? Is comfort a concern?

Things like that.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #24,739 of 29,490
Absent a closeout type sale, I can't recommend any full sized cans that are $30 or less. 

These are about the cheapest I would consider recommending for someone on a tight budget:

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3TMR6IEFCG0JX&coliid=I16HB003BCGZ2V
ir

You need to get to around $50 to really get something decent.

Despite how incredibly elitist this sounds, ill bother to reiterate my point. My dad doesnt want to spend more than $20 on a set of cans. He needs good isolation, easy drive, and a fun sound sig, and for the record there are plenty of sub $50 cans that are well regarded around here. Also, im clearly asking for closed back. Reccomending semi-open cans (especially ones with a very analytical sound sig when im asking for fun) clearly shows that you failed to read any of my needs for this specific application of mowing the lawn

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #24,741 of 29,490

What is your budget?  What kind of music to you listen to?  What will you be using your headphones for (portable vs. home use)?  Is it important that they prevent sound from leaking in or out? Is comfort a concern?

Things like that.

Budget = <200$
music = all sorts of music (rap, dubstep, rock etc)
Use = portable
comfort = yes comfort is a big concern

Ok?
Now please help!!

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #24,742 of 29,490

Things like that.

Budget = <200$
music = all sorts of music (rap, dubstep, rock etc)
Use = portable
comfort = yes comfort is a big concern

Ok?
Now please help!!

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #24,743 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Absent a closeout type sale, I can't recommend any full sized cans that are $30 or less. 

These are about the cheapest I would consider recommending for someone on a tight budget:

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3TMR6IEFCG0JX&coliid=I16HB003BCGZ2V
ir

You need to get to around $50 to really get something decent.

Despite how incredibly elitist this sounds, ill bother to reiterate my point. My dad doesnt want to spend more than $20 on a set of cans. He needs good isolation, easy drive, and a fun sound sig, and for the record there are plenty of sub $50 cans that are well regarded around here. Also, im clearly asking for closed back. Reccomending semi-open cans (especially ones with a very analytical sound sig when im asking for fun) clearly shows that you failed to read any of my needs for this specific application of mowing the lawn

I don't think that you received the not so hidden message: I can't help you and I doubt that anyone here can either.  I will add the elitist opinion that it is probably not safe to mow the lawn with cans on, even with a manual push mower.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #24,744 of 29,490
Quote:
It is in the U.S., but many have reported that the K 701 & 702 are cheaper in Europe, where they are made. 

The Q is the later version and comes with more stuff.  Go figure the U.S. prices--not that I'm complaining.

exactly! the Q701 is much more expensive

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #24,745 of 29,490
Quote:

you might buy something used on ebay

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #24,746 of 29,490
Quote:

Honestly, the only headphones i even know that exist in that price range are Sennheiser HD 201's.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #24,747 of 29,490
Quote:

Honestly, the only headphones i even know that exist in that price range are Sennheiser HD 201's.

Yeah, the 201...Just Add some Velours and a Denon AHD-2000 cable and you're set
biggrin.gif

(My budget Beaters)

But seriously, OP the Monoprice might fit the Bill?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #24,749 of 29,490
Quote:

they are really good for the money.. I mean come on for THAT price they are awesome

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #24,750 of 29,490
Quote:

Love me some headphones with a modified cable.

LOL, Yeah I'm a big fan of the Denon 2000 cables. Most people hate it but if you shorten it down to 4ft or so it really is easier to manage.  Plus it is a hell ove a lot better then those crappy stock cables on most lower end phones.

Here's another on my Denon AHD 1000:  Silver #1, shortened to 4ft just like the 201's , My Silver #2 has the full Denon Cable,10ft

Silver #1

Silver #2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back