++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #24,721 of 29,490
Quote:

If you want my opinion: I had the HD598 and the AKG K701 (which is quite similar to the Q701 I guess) and I would personally always go for the K701! 

Uh, no. Ten foot non-detachable cord? Pass.

Also, the Q series is a bit adjusted away from what is ultimately the greatest weakness of the 701/2 series - the lack of warmth.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #24,722 of 29,490
Sorry for posting again, but my budget was raised quite a bit to get into a higher tier set of headphones.
Please help, there's too many different sets and i can't decide on which one to buy.
Budget: $250>
eBay: Yes
Isolation: Closed or Open is fine with me.
Purpose: 40% gaming, 45% music and 15% movies.
Music Tastes: About everything, but recently: Trip-hop, Orchestral, Piano, Downtempo electronic music, idm and thrash/prog metal.
Previous Experiences: HARX 900 and the HTF600.
Comments:Currently, i'm looking at: The Sennheiser HD598, the DT990 and the AKG Q701 headphones. Right now, i plan on going for the HD598, but i've heard that the bass was really lacking.
Also, does the HD598 need an amp to sound good?

Thanks again for helping.

Just realised there was a discussion about what i just typed a few posts ago, sorry about not reading.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #24,723 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry for posting again, but my budget was raised quite a bit to get into a higher tier set of headphones.
Please help, there's too many different sets and i can't decide on which one to buy.
Music Tastes: About everything, but recently: Trip-hop, Orchestral, Piano, Downtempo electronic music, idm and thrash/prog metal.
Comments:Currently, i'm looking at: The Sennheiser HD598, the DT990 and the AKG Q701 headphones. Right now, i plan on going for the HD598, but i've heard that the bass was really lacking.

Just realised there was a discussion about what i just typed a few posts ago, sorry about not reading.

Just throwing this out there... ATH AD900X. They are very good open cans, with a wonderful soundstage. You could probably get them for less than $250 on amazon/ebay (or approx $200 on amazon japan using tenso). They compare very favorably to the HD598 (not my own experience, but from someone I know who has both). The bass is very nice. And they don't need an amp - I can play them off of my clip zip if I want to. But an amp helps bring the most out of them.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #24,724 of 29,490
Quote:

Just throwing this out there... ATH AD900X. They are very good open cans, with a wonderful soundstage. You could probably get them for less than $250 on amazon/ebay (or approx $200 on amazon japan using tenso). They compare very favorably to the HD598 (not my own experience, but from someone I know who has both). The bass is very nice. And they don't need an amp - I can play them off of my clip zip if I want to. But an amp helps bring the most out of them.

That sounds wonderful, how do they work for 'sound whoring' in FPS games?

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #24,725 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

If you want my opinion: I had the HD598 and the AKG K701 (which is quite similar to the Q701 I guess) and I would personally always go for the K701! 

Uh, no. Ten foot non-detachable cord? Pass.

Also, the Q series is a bit adjusted away from what is ultimately the greatest weakness of the 701/2 series - the lack of warmth.

The Q 701 comes with two detachable cords.

The strength or weakness of the sound signature of the AKG is in the ear of the beholder.  Many will say that the Senn is too veiled.

The new K 701 65th Annie (with a detachable cord) is better than all of them.  Of course it's also more expensive.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #24,726 of 29,490
Quote:

Anyone who says that the bass of the HD 598 is "really lacking" [and has heard them] is a basshead.  Frankly I'm getting a bit peeved with folks saying such things about neutral-ish cans.  Please stick to an accurate assessment, such as:  I really love bass emphasized headphones and these cans don't do that. 

Folks are certainly entitled to like whatever sound signature they prefer.  However, to communicate (especially on a recommendations thread), we need to be using essentially the same metric.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #24,728 of 29,490
Quote:
The Q 701 comes with two detachable cords.

I meant as in the K701. Also, the Q701 is actually cheaper than the K701 on the online market for some reason.

It is in the U.S., but many have reported that the K 701 & 702 are cheaper in Europe, where they are made. 

The Q is the later version and comes with more stuff.  Go figure the U.S. prices--not that I'm complaining.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #24,729 of 29,490
Quote:
That sounds wonderful, how do they work for 'sound whoring' in FPS games?

Sorry, gaming (or sound whoring for that matter lol) are not my specialties. I suspect that they work great for gaming though. I love them for movies.

Quote:
Anyone who says that the bass of the HD 598 is "really lacking" [and has heard them] is a basshead.  Frankly I'm getting a bit peeved with folks saying such things about neutral-ish cans.  Please stick to an accurate assessment, such as:  I really love bass emphasized headphones and these cans don't do that. 

Folks are certainly entitled to like whatever sound signature they prefer.  However, to communicate (especially on a recommendations thread), we need to be using essentially the same metric.

Good point. And I should point out that although I find the bass on the ad900x's to be more than satisfying, I doubt that it would satisfy a basshead (those bassheads are a crazy breed after all lol!).

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #24,730 of 29,490
Hey guys! 

Glad I joined the community...I recently picked up a pair of AKG F550's. I've watched a few reviews on youtube, read posts on this forum and I was sold on them. I got my package today, gave them a listen and they sounded incredible...I just want a little more bass. I returned them because the build quality has gone extremely down. I thought they were built out of aluminum but mine were all plastic which was a bummer. I did love the sound quality of them and the fact they're closed back headphones. I do understand you have to listen up to 100 hours before they "burn" in, but even with my e10 on bass boost it wasn't something I wanted. Also I made sure they were sealed perfectly...

Anyways, I've owned 2 pairs of Beat by Dre's but hated them. I loved their simplicity and their sound wasn't that bad for the type of music I listen to. I had the Studios/Pro's. Studios I loved the bass in those, but sometimes at high volumes they'd hurt my ears and they leak like crazy. Vocals would get distorted, etc...You guys know. Beat Pro's squeezed my head and I got headaches.

The type of headphones i'd like would be something that sound identical to the AKG F550's but with more bass. I hate the look of DJ headphones, so i don't want anything looking too crazy. I'd use these majority for home/school use. I was originally interested in the Sennheiser HD600 / 650's but they're open backs. If the leaking isn't that bad, I may go with the sennheiser HD650's. 

I don't consider myself a basshead at all, I love balance with highs & mids, but some days i'd like alittle bass if i'm in the mood :)

Things I'd like in a good pair of cans
- Under $450 
- Can require an amp (I have a Fiio E10 hopefully this is something I could work with)
- Aesthetically pleasing / Simple design 
- Closed back or Open Back 
- Minimal Leaking (if possible)

Let me know what you guys think I may look into. 

Thanks! 

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #24,731 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks, i might order them tomorrow.
Do they need anything to drive them?

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #24,732 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, i might order them tomorrow.
Do they need anything to drive them?

No, but you'll get the most out of them with a bit of amping.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #24,733 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys! 

Glad I joined the community...I recently picked up a pair of AKG F550's. I've watched a few reviews on youtube, read posts on this forum and I was sold on them. I got my package today, gave them a listen and they sounded incredible...I just want a little more bass. I returned them because the build quality has gone extremely down. I thought they were built out of aluminum but mine were all plastic which was a bummer. I did love the sound quality of them and the fact they're closed back headphones. I do understand you have to listen up to 100 hours before they "burn" in, but even with my e10 on bass boost it wasn't something I wanted. Also I made sure they were sealed perfectly...

Anyways, I've owned 2 pairs of Beat by Dre's but hated them. I loved their simplicity and their sound wasn't that bad for the type of music I listen to. I had the Studios/Pro's. Studios I loved the bass in those, but sometimes at high volumes they'd hurt my ears and they leak like crazy. Vocals would get distorted, etc...You guys know. Beat Pro's squeezed my head and I got headaches.

The type of headphones i'd like would be something that sound identical to the AKG F550's but with more bass. I hate the look of DJ headphones, so i don't want anything looking too crazy. I'd use these majority for home/school use. I was originally interested in the Sennheiser HD600 / 650's but they're open backs. If the leaking isn't that bad, I may go with the sennheiser HD650's. 

I don't consider myself a basshead at all, I love balance with highs & mids, but some days i'd like alittle bass if i'm in the mood :)

Things I'd like in a good pair of cans
- Under $450 
- Can require an amp (I have a Fiio E10 hopefully this is something I could work with)
- Aesthetically pleasing / Simple design 
- Closed back or Open Back 
- Minimal Leaking (if possible)

Let me know what you guys think I may look into. 

Thanks! 

Do you mean the K 550?

If so; if you had a good seal; if had enough power to drive them; and if you still found their bass to be wanting--you are probably at least a basshead lite.

The Senns leak to much for your intended use--even if the more bassy of the two, the HD 650, with its mid bass hump, had enough bass for you.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #24,735 of 29,490
Hey Guys, which one is the more suitable overall headphone (already know about comfort and build and stuff) for the type of music I like: R&B, Hip Hop, Rock/Alternative, J-Rock/Pop, Classical/ Hans Zimmer.
•DT-770 pro 80
•UE6000
•MDR MA900

I'll be playing them out of an iPod touch 4g w/and/or a fiio e11.

Reminder: I already know about the MA900 being open and all that good stuff, just looking for pure sound.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back