++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #24,706 of 29,490
Feb 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #24,707 of 29,490
Hi there everyone, I have one last question I think,

I am deciding between the CAL! and SRH440, but I'm leaning towards the SRH440 due to their rugged design and reputation for a great mids with fairly neutral leveling. My question is what "unforgiving of source quality" actually entails. I can definitely hear the difference between sound in 128kb/s, 320kb/s, flac, vinyl etc. in all player formats except perhaps my extremely cheap ($9) ear buds (and even then I can tell the difference half the time). But some of my music... well, I can't always get that high definition, high speed sound. It doesn't bother me necessarily when something is lower quality, I just notice it and move on. When cans are said to be unforgiving of source quality, does that mean a lower quality recording becomes unlistenable (will hurt your ears, will not play correctly, etc.), or does it just mean that the difference is much more obvious?

I have searched through the forums but can't seem to find a straight answer here.

Thanks for all your help
~Justin

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #24,708 of 29,490
OK guys I have a tough one here. My old man is upgrading. His creative zen xtra crapped out and I've convinced him to replace it with a sansa clip (I plan on getting one myself). Now since this thing is so small and flash based for extra vibration resistance, he's going to use it to replace his "lawn mowing rig" an old no name dap and a set of iem he got free with some batteries.
I really do see a chance to get him into HiFi headphones. He has a decent home theatre system and is has been a musician all his life. But in his own words, "spending more than $20 on a set of headphones is stupid" and "I'd rather listen to speakers, headphones don't sound real".
So the challenge is this; I need reccomendations on a very good isolating headphone that he will want to use even once the mowing is done. He told me he'd much rather full sized cans than iem because the vibration makes them uncomfortable. Sound signature, figure bassy and fun, but still flat enough to be use able for home studio work. He doesn't like my mdr-v7 but had his toe tapping when I let him demo the Phillips cityscape metro (horrid sounding and going back this week BTW). Also, he's a drummer so bass impact has to be there. I doubt I could get him to drop more than $30, but $20 will probably work as he spoke of getting a set of Sony mdr-v250 like he used to have (junk, but went for about $25 when he had them)

Bumping myself here since I seem to have gotten lost in the crowd. I'm looking at the mono price 8323 but i'd like other options please

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #24,711 of 29,490
darthsmile.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #24,712 of 29,490
Slumming it big time compared to most on here, but here goes...

Been using the ear buds that typically come with my iPhones and mp3 players, so obviously not used to good audio. Want to slowly ramp up by trying out a somewhat better solution for the time being to see if they work for me.

Looking to keep it to around $25 or less for a on-ear type headphone. No in-ear canal types, as I hate the underwater feeling they give when ears are plugged. Primarily listen to rock and podcasts, so don't need booming bass etc, just a decent, clean sound for the little cash I want to spend.

Initial research shows these options:
Sennheiser 202 II ($26)
JVC Flats ($12)
Sony ZX100 ($14)
Sony ZX300 ($24)
Monoprice 8323 ($28)

I'd really like to stick to budget, because if I don't then it'll be, for just another $15 I can get the Audio-Technica M30 and for another $5 more, Koss PortaPro, and on and on...

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #24,713 of 29,490
I
Slumming it big time compared to most on here, but here goes...

Been using the ear buds that typically come with my iPhones and mp3 players, so obviously not used to good audio. Want to slowly ramp up by trying out a somewhat better solution for the time being to see if they work for me.

Looking to keep it to around $25 or less for a on-ear type headphone. No in-ear canal types, as I hate the underwater feeling they give when ears are plugged. Primarily listen to rock and podcasts, so don't need booming bass etc, just a decent, clean sound for the little cash I want to spend.

Initial research shows these options:
Sennheiser 202 II ($26)
JVC Flats ($12)
Sony ZX100 ($14)
Sony ZX300 ($24)
Monoprice 8323 ($28)

I'd really like to stick to budget, because if I don't then it'll be, for just another $15 I can get the Audio-Technica M30 and for another $5 more, Koss PortaPro, and on and on...

If I were you Id get the Koss portapros. Theyre excellent for their price.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #24,714 of 29,490
Feb 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #24,715 of 29,490
Quote:

Which one did you enjoy more? I know this is a subjective question, but I feel it helps. :)

If you want my opinion: I had the HD598 and the AKG K701 (which is quite similar to the Q701 I guess) and I would personally always go for the K701! 

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #24,716 of 29,490
Quote:
I
If I were you Id get the Koss portapros. Theyre excellent for their price.

Yes, I see all kinds of good reviews on them, but they're $45 and almost double my cheap budget.  Plus kind of looking for a closed back to dull the environmental sounds a bit.  I grew up in the 70s and 80s, but don't want to look like that again, willingly at least.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #24,717 of 29,490
Quote:
I wanted to ask. I have a headphone, that has 1/4 connector and is really old(30y old), if i get 1/4 to 1/8 simple jack adapter will it work correctly?

Yes--assuming the can was OK in the first place and assuming you give it enough power to drive it properly.  Beware however that not all metal slip or screw on connectors will fit properly on a particular 1/4" jack.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #24,718 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
OK guys I have a tough one here. My old man is upgrading. His creative zen xtra crapped out and I've convinced him to replace it with a sansa clip (I plan on getting one myself). Now since this thing is so small and flash based for extra vibration resistance, he's going to use it to replace his "lawn mowing rig" an old no name dap and a set of iem he got free with some batteries.
I really do see a chance to get him into HiFi headphones. He has a decent home theatre system and is has been a musician all his life. But in his own words, "spending more than $20 on a set of headphones is stupid" and "I'd rather listen to speakers, headphones don't sound real".
So the challenge is this; I need reccomendations on a very good isolating headphone that he will want to use even once the mowing is done. He told me he'd much rather full sized cans than iem because the vibration makes them uncomfortable. Sound signature, figure bassy and fun, but still flat enough to be use able for home studio work. He doesn't like my mdr-v7 but had his toe tapping when I let him demo the Phillips cityscape metro (horrid sounding and going back this week BTW). Also, he's a drummer so bass impact has to be there. I doubt I could get him to drop more than $30, but $20 will probably work as he spoke of getting a set of Sony mdr-v250 like he used to have (junk, but went for about $25 when he had them)

Bumping myself here since I seem to have gotten lost in the crowd. I'm looking at the mono price 8323 but i'd like other options please

Absent a closeout type sale, I can't recommend any full sized cans that are $30 or less. 

These are about the cheapest I would consider recommending for someone on a tight budget:

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3TMR6IEFCG0JX&coliid=I16HB003BCGZ2V

You need to get to around $50 to really get something decent.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #24,719 of 29,490
Quote:
I noticed in your sig that you owned both of these headphones.

Which one did you enjoy more? I know this is a subjective question, but I feel it helps. :)

To be frank, there's not a terrible amount of difference between the two. The HD598 is more pleasing and fun, but the Q701 is more accurate and detailed. It all depends on whether you like a bit more warmth or a bit more detail.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #24,720 of 29,490
Quote:

Yes, I see all kinds of good reviews on them, but they're $45 and almost double my cheap budget.  Plus kind of looking for a closed back to dull the environmental sounds a bit.  I grew up in the 70s and 80s, but don't want to look like that again, willingly at least.

Well, then I'd probably grab the Senns. The mono's are insanely good for their price too - I heard a pair the other week and was surprised at how good they sound. I guess those two are the best option if you want to isolate sound. The porta pros won't isolate much sound but they sound really good for their price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back