++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 14, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #24,691 of 29,490
Quote:
Reposting from the HE-5LE thread, since I might get more replies here:

So, seeing as how two separate sites have both the 5LE and the 500s on sale, I figured I'd ask those who may have tried both what the better deal would be: $625.39 (after shipping) for the HE-5LE from Moon-Audio, or $651.82 (after shipping) for the HE-500 from TTVJ. Initially, I was planning on just saving up for a pair of LCD-2s but I loved the HE-400s (save for the cable connectors, but I can overlook those for the sound quality) and would like to stick with the HiFiMan sound since the price is right.

I live up in Canada, so the only other real option for me to pick up a pair of HiFiMan headphones is from Headphone Bar and while Travis is freaking awesome...  $750 for the HE-500 kind of bites.

I'd go with the HE 500, but suggest that you check this out before you decide:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-he-5-he-5le-he-6-and-he500-planar-magnetic-headphones

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #24,692 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd go with the HE 500, but suggest that you check this out before you decide:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-he-5-he-5le-he-6-and-he500-planar-magnetic-headphones

Thanks for replying, but I actually got linked to that article on the HE-5LE thread as well. Pretty much solidified my decision to go with the HE-500. The thought is still appreciated.

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #24,693 of 29,490
I am looking for some cans in the maximum of 200 dollar range. I've used Denon AH-D1000s for years and loved them. lets say something bad happened with them and have to look for another pair of cans.. I do prefer more bass  type cans like the Denons but it isnt that big of a deal. When I wear cans, i literally bring them around everywhere so they have to be durable, comfortable, but something that clamps down enough so the cans don t fall off the ears constantly outside. Use mostly with the ipod touch/smart phone, dont really use amps etc.. As far as High Mid etc goes, I'd prefer something thats decent all around.

I've looked into the m50s and Sennheiser 439s. they both sound great from what ive read but the fact that the 439s fall of the ears easily is a big downside for me. I was thinking of just buying the Denon 1001s but I wanted to try out another brand for once. I see you guys recommending the senn Amperior. 

ps im just sad fed ex messed up mailing my rewired Denon 2000s and in turn someone stole them apparently =\ 

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #24,694 of 29,490
I'm looking for over ear heaphones less $500. I want some sort of bass control or really good bass and overall sound quality, i want it mainly for music, movies, and gaming. Noise cancelling would be good too, and maybe iPod/iPhone controls?
Most important: has to be comfortable for a very long period of time.
Any suggestions?

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #24,695 of 29,490
Ok I am going to buy my first overhead headphones...
I am a sony fan boy.
Currently I am using a pair if XBA3 and I love them but at times I feel like I need more bass.
I have looked at the mdr1r forums and I like them....
No I will not get momentums or m100s I want a mdr1.
What I want to know is is the audio quality of the mdr1rbt wired the same as mdr1r or worse.
I really don't need the bluetooth feature but I think its a nice feature to have.

I'm gonna use my note 2 to listen to songs so I'm thinking of getting a fiio e17 with it.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for typos im using my phone.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #24,696 of 29,490
I'm looking for over ear heaphones less $500. I want some sort of bass control or really good bass and overall sound quality, i want it mainly for music, movies, and gaming. Noise cancelling would be good too, and maybe iPod/iPhone controls?
Most important: has to be comfortable for a very long period of time.
Any suggestions?

Sennheiser Momentums. Good clarity and well balanced. They have bass punch but only when it calls for it on the song.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #24,697 of 29,490
Ok I am going to buy my first overhead headphones...
I am a sony fan boy.
Currently I am using a pair if XBA3 and I love them but at times I feel like I need more bass.
I have looked at the mdr1r forums and I like them....
No I will not get momentums or m100s I want a mdr1.
What I want to know is is the audio quality of the mdr1rbt wired the same as mdr1r or worse.
I really don't need the bluetooth feature but I think its a nice feature to have.

I'm gonna use my note 2 to listen to songs so I'm thinking of getting a fiio e17 with it.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for typos im using my phone.

The old Denon line have far better bass than the Sony's. Its high quality bass with slam.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #24,698 of 29,490
I'm looking for a set of closed over ear headphones. These will be my first headphones of decent quality. I'm currently using a Creative Fatality gaming headset.
The main use will be pc video games. Second use is for my electronic drums, I use Superior Drummer 2.0 as a vst.
My budget goes from 50 to 80 Euros. (I have a 50 euro gift card that I can only spend at a few shops, vvv bon for the Dutch guys.)

Sound card:
I have the Asus Xonar D1 sound card in my pc.
http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_D1/

I've only looked at Sennheiser because I know the brand should have good headphones and they have a headphone finder on their website.  The headphone finder gave a few suggestions and the HD 439 is one of them. The other headphones (HD 215, HD 428, HD 429, HD 438) all have those fake leather pads, I don't like those kind of pads.

The HD 439 is well within my budget and it gets good reviews on the Head-Fi website so I think this is a good choose. I also like that it comes with two cables since I need a longer cable when I play the drums. And it is on sale for 58 Euros at the moment. Doesn't get better than this, I guess.
Basically, I'm sold. I just want to confirm that this is a good choice since I only looked at Sennheiser products.

My questions:
Do you guys think that the Sennheisr HD 439 is a good choice for pc games and electronic drums?

Do I need an amplifier?
I will only use the headphones on my pc with the Asus sound card.

Do you have any other tips, suggestions or advice?

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #24,699 of 29,490
Hi, 
I'm looking for a bass headphone for listening to EDM.
Budget is around $150, and I am deciding between crossfade LP(1) and m80.
Q40 and XB series are out of the question as they are black-colored and they get really hot on my ears.
I would prefer headphones with white-colored variation.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #24,701 of 29,490
Quote:
Ive read a ton of reviews and it seems 50/50 on the love/hate for M50. Ive heard a lot of good things about AKG K550 from many threads. As far as trying them on im limited to best buy which only carries beats, bose, and Sony x10. Believe me ive searched. Any other good suggestions?

I highly recommend against the K550, especially for the average user.  It is fairly cold & neutral; it doesn't make music engaging or exciting. There are multiple issues with it in the treble region (look up my review for details). And the worst part is the mids are very thin & lacks body.

It has several traits that may be good for audio professionals, but for people who just listen to music, or watch movies, or play games, they are not a very ideal choice.

For your preferences I suggest checking out the ATH-A900X as aforementioned; it has very very good mids, punchy bass (but not regarded as a basshead set), and detailed & sparkly (but not sharp/sibilant) treble.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #24,704 of 29,490
Quote:
Preferred sound signature?

Are you OK with open cans?  They leak sound and tend not to isolate well?

What equipment will be powering them?  Will you be using and amp?

Do you need them to be portable and/or intend to us them when out and about?

I'm all about the beat and vocals, and i do also like that full sound from the bass in some songs, though I'm not a basshead. I'd prefer no leaking from in and the outside :). My source will be my computer and my mp3 player, and from what I think I understand, I should get an portable amp too though I really won't be going outside much with my headphones. Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back