++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 13, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #24,677 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
New member looking for some new hifi cans that I can use at home or work. I liked this format so I borrowed it too.

Where do you live and in what country do you plan to buy?
USA

What is your budget?
$100-$250

Are you ok with open cans (they leak sound)?
Maybe. I plan to use them at work and can not have my music heard by others nearby. Conversely I must be able to hear if someone speaks to me as my position requires that I assist co-workers if they need help.

What equipment will be powering these cans? Will you be using an amp?
Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2), laptop or iPod Classic

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
Mix of lossless and low bit tunes purchased from iTunes and or Google Music

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
Balanced sounds about right

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
Mostly 80s 90s Hard Rock, along with blues, jazz, metal, old school rap, techno, dub step and even some blue grass for good measure.

Do you plan to use them outside your home? If so, in what way & with what
Smartphone or iPod Classic.

As you can tell, I listen to just about everything and I can go from one genre to another at any time. My main listening would be hard rock or metal but I dont want to sacrifice other genre's just to get the best sound for one specific type.

Back in the days of the first sony discmans, I had a set of sony studio monitor cans but cant remember the model. What I recall from 20 yrs ago is that I could only listen for about 45 mins before fatigue would set in. They sounded ok to my 20 yr old ears with the same genres I still enjoy. I need somethung similar but more refined and comfortable for hours at a time.

I have read many of the reviews here but still cant pick a clear choice. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss. Sorry for the long drawn out post.

Ok so doing more searching and would love to know what you all think about rhe Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 coupled with FiiO E11?

Noooo....they are far from balanced.  The mids are very recessed.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #24,678 of 29,490
Quote:
Noooo....they are far from balanced.  The mids are very recessed.

Failed to see his preference lol. I'd recommend Soundmagic HP100 and Fioo E11. I had this combo and the Soundmagic's are very well balanced in their presentation with good detail & a bit of punch in the bass when called for.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #24,679 of 29,490
Quote:

I used to be like you, I had my $100 ATH-M50s and I just never understood paying extra for marginal, unnoticeable improvements in audio quality in more expensive models, especially with diminishing returns. To me, there were good headphones and bad headphones. Bad headphones were beats and skullcandy... As long as you had a decent pair of cans, you didn't need to spend $500+ to enjoy your music. Even a $100 set of cans- and in your case, a $60 set of headphones- would do.

That is, until I heard the AH-D5000. They sounded so unbelievably good that I couldn't bring myself to say my M50s provided a satisfactory listening experience. And once you get over the hurdle of being unable to justify spending extra money on audio gear then it becomes less about the price tag and more about searching for a completely satisfactory sound- as elusive and ambiguous that is. If you think you have that with your $60 JVC's then your headphone journey can end there. For me the K701/K702 comes very close. Of course, that doesn't stop me from trying more higher-end models. If I experience the same thing with one of the $1000+ flagships then I wouldn't hesitate to save up for them.

TL;DR: There's refurbished Audio-Technica A900X's selling for $150. Grab'em. http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATHA900XRB

Hm... that's a fair way of looking at it, and certainly something I wouldn't discover until I took the plunge for myself. I suppose if I replaced "headphones" with another product that I know quite a lot about and am able to appreciate those subtle differences, it makes lots o' sense. Thanks! 

(p.s. in my case, that word would be "skis". :)

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #24,680 of 29,490
Quote:
I agree that the MS-1i is better than the 80i it it is also over your max budget of $100, albeit not by much.

I prefer the MS-1i over the AD700, but they are so different that it's almost like apples and oranges. Neither is a bass oriented can, but the Alessandro has more.

With regard to comfort, most find the AT to be very comfortable, while many find the Alessandro (and its Grado siblings) to be uncomfortable.  However, you may or may not be in the majority in either/both case(s).

I really liked the 80's sound but I'm in the group who can't wear them. Just too much pain even after, bending, pad washing & pad swap.  It's too bad because they do sound great.
At $100 I've yet to find a open can that sounds good.  I've tried most of the cheapo's(Superlux etc!!!) and they just sound "OFF".  I'm a little biased being a Senn Fan but I'll say the cheapest( somewhat) best open can I've heard is the HD 558.  It Really sounds Great!!   For sure over the OP'S budget by about $80 or so.  But you can get a Refurb for around $120 shipped!!!   Just a thought!!!  For me it's always better to save awhile then make a buy just because!!   $100 is A Lot of money to Starving Student-(Not Myself) Might as well buy something that you won't need the feel to upgrade for awhile!!

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #24,681 of 29,490
Looking to spend $150-$220
I currently own ad700's but need more bass.

Mainly listen to progressive house, house, electro, trance, dubstep, trap, anything EDM really but I also really enjoy acoustic music. I want better bass, i don't need headphones that are pure bass with nothing else. I've been pointed to DT770's but some users but what do you guys think?

mainly for at home listening, with a titanium hd sound card but i may buy a usb dac/amp.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #24,682 of 29,490
Reposting from the HE-5LE thread, since I might get more replies here:

So, seeing as how two separate sites have both the 5LE and the 500s on sale, I figured I'd ask those who may have tried both what the better deal would be: $625.39 (after shipping) for the HE-5LE from Moon-Audio, or $651.82 (after shipping) for the HE-500 from TTVJ. Initially, I was planning on just saving up for a pair of LCD-2s but I loved the HE-400s (save for the cable connectors, but I can overlook those for the sound quality) and would like to stick with the HiFiMan sound since the price is right.

I live up in Canada, so the only other real option for me to pick up a pair of HiFiMan headphones is from Headphone Bar and while Travis is freaking awesome...  $750 for the HE-500 kind of bites.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #24,683 of 29,490
Quote:
What sound signature do you want? It'll be much easier for us to help you if we know what type of sound you like.

I guess Im quite new to the idea of signature. But I guess what I am looking for is a "warmer" sound than anything. I listen to a lot of country music. Anything that would help that would be great. And I do realize if it's crappy quality music a good headset will only help so much. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #24,684 of 29,490
Quote:
I guess Im quite new to the idea of signature. But I guess what I am looking for is a "warmer" sound than anything. I listen to a lot of country music. Anything that would help that would be great. And I do realize if it's crappy quality music a good headset will only help so much. 

Maybe the Soundmagic HP100's. They're well balanced and on the slightly warm side. Very smooth & good detail retrieval. They also have a decent bass punch when the song calls for it. These are a good all-rounder can in my opinion. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #24,686 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to spend $150-$220
I currently own ad700's but need more bass.

Mainly listen to progressive house, house, electro, trance, dubstep, trap, anything EDM really but I also really enjoy acoustic music. I want better bass, i don't need headphones that are pure bass with nothing else. I've been pointed to DT770's but some users but what do you guys think?

mainly for at home listening, with a titanium hd sound card but i may buy a usb dac/amp.

If you want to stick with open headphones, I'd suggest the ATH-AD900 or AD900X as an upgrade. The 700s are very focussed on accoustic, with the 900s adding a bit more bass.

If the thought of spending another $200-300 scares you off a bit, I can also highly reccomend the ATH-TAD500. I use these almost everyday when I go for a walk (for excercise). I usually listen to trance, hard dance, rnb or progressive on an android while doing that, and with some equalization, these really shine for that sort of music if "bass over the top of everything else" is not what you're after.

I also have the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro - if you said you listen to a lot of dnb and dubstep than these combined with a portable amp have the potential to send you deaf. The bass THUMPS. Absolutely thumps. Hard.

Since bass slamming over the top of everything else is not your pleasure, I wouldn't reccomend them for your purpose. Seriously, look strongly at the TAD500 instead, followed by the AD900X. The TAD500 has the best bass of any open headphone i've ever tried, but definitely not overpowering.

The TAD500 is very easy to drive, easy to listen to and with marginally smaller earcups and a sort of loose headband across the top rather than the 3D wing design, they will fit better too, especially if your head is a bit smaller (that won't be much of an issue for you sitting at home though). They're excellent value too - you should get them around $100 - look on ebay and in particular Japanese sellers are good because that's where Audio Technica comes from.

A USB DAC may improve the quality, particularly the AD900/X may benefit from that, but you definitely won't *need* an amp.

The DT770 requires an amp and also has a narrow soundstage compared to the AD900/TAD500 due to the fact that the DT770 is a closed model.

One thing I'll say in favour of the DT770 is that the isolation is superb - just excellent. If sound leaking in or out is an issue for you, then the DT770 might be better, but the AD900 or TAD500 will provide better overall sound I believe. If you want to hear people talking to you or the phone ring then don't bother with the DT770 because they are a cone of silence. They isolate better than some noise cancelling headphones do!
The DT770 also doesn't excel as much in the midrange so vocals on EDM will be a bit muffled amongst the thump thump thump of the massive ear drum shattering bass. (I don't believe i'm exaggerating there either)

Just for the record my daily drivers at the moment are:
Audio Technica TAD500 - walking/excercise/need to hear traffic
PSB Speakers M4U2 - commuting to/from work (occasionally i'll swap these out for the ATH-A500X (soon to be A900X's) when i need more comfort for longer journeys)
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 - for at work

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #24,687 of 29,490
Quote:
If you want to stick with open headphones, I'd suggest the ATH-AD900 or AD900X as an upgrade. The 700s are very focussed on accoustic, with the 900s adding a bit more bass.

If the thought of spending another $200-300 scares you off a bit, I can also highly reccomend the ATH-TAD500. I use these almost everyday when I go for a walk (for excercise). I usually listen to trance, hard dance, rnb or progressive on an android while doing that, and with some equalization, these really shine for that sort of music if "bass over the top of everything else" is not what you're after.

I also have the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro - if you said you listen to a lot of dnb and dubstep than these combined with a portable amp have the potential to send you deaf. The bass THUMPS. Absolutely thumps. Hard.

Since bass slamming over the top of everything else is not your pleasure, I wouldn't reccomend them for your purpose. Seriously, look strongly at the TAD500 instead, followed by the AD900X. The TAD500 has the best bass of any open headphone i've ever tried, but definitely not overpowering.

The TAD500 is very easy to drive, easy to listen to and with marginally smaller earcups and a sort of loose headband across the top rather than the 3D wing design, they will fit better too, especially if your head is a bit smaller (that won't be much of an issue for you sitting at home though). They're excellent value too - you should get them around $100 - look on ebay and in particular Japanese sellers are good because that's where Audio Technica comes from.

A USB DAC may improve the quality, particularly the AD900/X may benefit from that, but you definitely won't *need* an amp.

The DT770 requires an amp and also has a narrow soundstage compared to the AD900/TAD500 due to the fact that the DT770 is a closed model.

One thing I'll say in favour of the DT770 is that the isolation is superb - just excellent. If sound leaking in or out is an issue for you, then the DT770 might be better, but the AD900 or TAD500 will provide better overall sound I believe. If you want to hear people talking to you or the phone ring then don't bother with the DT770 because they are a cone of silence. They isolate better than some noise cancelling headphones do!
The DT770 also doesn't excel as much in the midrange so vocals on EDM will be a bit muffled amongst the thump thump thump of the massive ear drum shattering bass. (I don't believe i'm exaggerating there either)

Hey man, honestly appreciate your input a lot!

I can make myself more clear.
Most importantly I need
Isolation
Comfort (ad700s leave my ears hurting but head feels fine)
More Bass than ad700s but still retain good vocal clarity, i don't know how to explain bit of a noob but a lot of my edm music has a large focus on very high vocals but also lots of thump thump you know.. i don't want the thump overpower the vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYaxYaxD_M

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #24,688 of 29,490
For around ~$300. Listening to country, rap, some rock (looking for warmth and bass) coming out of my iPod for the majority. Some of main features I am looking for are isolation and to prevent leakage. Huge annoyance when someone is within ear shot of me and I can hear their music like it was right next to me. I do realize that has to do with how loud it is being played as well.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #24,689 of 29,490
Quote:

Hey man, honestly appreciate your input a lot!

I really am interested in closed back headphones, isolation is important.. my gaming/listening area is not in a very quiet are of the area of my home.

some songs i like
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYaxYaxD_M my current headphones obviously produce great vocals but the bass leaves much to be wanted.. i want a happy medium. Bass above else won't work for me.. most of the music I like has a strong vocal emphasis.

What about ultrasone 550s?

Try and get a pair of used Denon D2000's or D5000's. They have awesome bass, only problem is they only isolate about 10 db of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back