++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #24,661 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi folks. I've been thinking of getting some new headphones. I got my first pair of not-stock-earphone set a few years ago after perusing this site for a while, and got some budget-y JVC M750s on the basis of some fairly positive opinions around this site. So far they have been excellent and head & shoulders above any really really cheap stuff I've had before.

But, now I'm thinking of getting something better. I was thinking of spending around $200. I've done enough reading on this site and others to have a general idea of the better ones around that price range, but that's not really my question. I'm wondering more if going from an approximately $60 dollar set of headphones to a $200 set will provide a noticeable enough difference to warrant that kind of investment. 

I would imagine that there will be an improvement, but I'm not entirely sure how much of an improvement there will be. Its somewhat hard to tell with all the reviews I've read because in most positive reviews one might read something like, "they sound great", which doesn't necessarily describe the magnitude of the greatness. And its quite clear the actual retail price of the product does not always equate to its quality relative to others. 

So, is an upgrade to that range worth it? For instance, perhaps a possible answer to this question could be, 'if your current headphones are working fine, then wait until they really start to fail, and then save up for a $400 pair instead'. Or, maybe its 'yes! You will notice a significant difference with that increase in quality, do it, do it now!'.

I've gone to a shop or two and listened to a few more expensive headphones, and I must admit I can't.... quite tell the difference. But, perhaps I'm not enough of a listener just yet to truly appreciate the subtleties. 

My sources for music are typically my compy, and various mp3 players.

Thanks!

You will definitely notice a difference in sound quality going form a $60 can to a $200 can. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #24,663 of 29,490
Quote:
Grado SR 80i, Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Semi open: AKG 240 Studio, Superlux HD668B

After some more research based on your suggestions.  It seems the Alessandro MS-1 might be a little more well-rounded than the SR-80i.  I'm sure the Ad700 is more comfortable than either the MS-1 or the SR-80i.  So the question now becomes, is there a big enough difference in the sound qualities of the MS-1/SR80i and the AD700 to justify the MS-1/80i over the AD700?  In other words, is the bass so weak on the ad700 that I should really just suck it up and deal with the possibility of some discomfort from the MS-1/80i for the additional sound quality or will there be such a minor difference between the three that I should pick the most comforable (ad700)?

Thanks
Mike

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #24,664 of 29,490
Wow, you've replied to nearly all the requests. I'm very grateful for your response.

If there are no closed backs with a nice soundstage, then at least one with great isolation. I mean nearly no sound from outside can be heard once the headphones are on. Something with a good amount of clamp and that fits generally well.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #24,665 of 29,490
[size=small] Budget - ~$300[/size]

[size=small] Source - Macbook, iPod (mainly), iPad[/size]

[size=small] Requirements for Isolation - I do travel quite a bit and spend time in places like my college library[/size]

[size=small] Preferred Type of Headphone - Big dude, looking for something comfortable in an over ear type of headphone.[/size]

[size=small] Preferred Tonality - I like my bass, but do not have a refined audio pallet[/size]

[size=small] Past headphones - POS cheapo earbuds[/size]

[size=small] Preferred Music - Country, Rock, Rap, Dubstep[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Basically I have tried reading through a lot of these forms to find someone who is looking for the same thing I am. Found some information but nothing concrete. Ive seen a lot of M50 suggestions for and against. Also a lot of HD598. As far as size and feel (not quality) i do like the feel of the Beats Pro and the Sony X10s that are common among the choices at best buy. I know these are not the best quality by any means.[/size]

[size=small] Most likely my next job will require a lot of travel so noise reduction and isolation is a big plus for me. Also am looking for something that runs big as I am a big guy. Other than that I am open to suggestions and looking to learn.[/size]

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #24,666 of 29,490
Quote:

[size=small] Requirements for Isolation - I do travel quite a bit and spend time in places like my college library[/size]

[size=small] Preferred Type of Headphone - Big dude, looking for something comfortable in an over ear type of headphone.[/size]

[size=small] Preferred Tonality - I like my bass, but do not have a refined audio pallet[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Basically I have tried reading through a lot of these forms to find someone who is looking for the same thing I am. Found some information but nothing concrete. Ive seen a lot of M50 suggestions for and against. Also a lot of HD598. As far as size and feel (not quality) i do like the feel of the Beats Pro and the Sony X10s that are common among the choices at best buy. I know these are not the best quality by any means.[/size]

[size=small] Most likely my next job will require a lot of travel so noise reduction and isolation is a big plus for me. Also am looking for something that runs big as I am a big guy. Other than that I am open to suggestions and looking to learn.[/size]

What kind of sound signature are you after?

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #24,667 of 29,490
Quote:

[size=small]  [/size]

The M50 is a good place to "start" because it has the tendency to "wow!" people who are just entering the hi-fi world. It's got a bit of an U-shaped response; so heavy on bass and lots of details on the treble (some will find that bitey or sharp). They being so popular though, you can probably find them on display in a nearby store, so just go try them out and see if you like them.

For "refined" but still bassy headsets I see a lot of people recommending Denons. I am an Audio-Technica person myself - it's less bassy than the Denons, with more emphasis on the mid-range. If you can find an ATH-A900X on display, try them out. Can't hurt. :)

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #24,668 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi folks. I've been thinking of getting some new headphones. I got my first pair of not-stock-earphone set a few years ago after perusing this site for a while, and got some budget-y JVC M750s on the basis of some fairly positive opinions around this site. So far they have been excellent and head & shoulders above any really really cheap stuff I've had before.

But, now I'm thinking of getting something better. I was thinking of spending around $200. I've done enough reading on this site and others to have a general idea of the better ones around that price range, but that's not really my question. I'm wondering more if going from an approximately $60 dollar set of headphones to a $200 set will provide a noticeable enough difference to warrant that kind of investment. 

I would imagine that there will be an improvement, but I'm not entirely sure how much of an improvement there will be. Its somewhat hard to tell with all the reviews I've read because in most positive reviews one might read something like, "they sound great", which doesn't necessarily describe the magnitude of the greatness. And its quite clear the actual retail price of the product does not always equate to its quality relative to others. 

So, is an upgrade to that range worth it? For instance, perhaps a possible answer to this question could be, 'if your current headphones are working fine, then wait until they really start to fail, and then save up for a $400 pair instead'. Or, maybe its 'yes! You will notice a significant difference with that increase in quality, do it, do it now!'.

I've gone to a shop or two and listened to a few more expensive headphones, and I must admit I can't.... quite tell the difference. But, perhaps I'm not enough of a listener just yet to truly appreciate the subtleties. 

Thanks!

I used to be like you, I had my $100 ATH-M50s and I just never understood paying extra for marginal, unnoticeable improvements in audio quality in more expensive models, especially with diminishing returns. To me, there were good headphones and bad headphones. Bad headphones were beats and skullcandy... As long as you had a decent pair of cans, you didn't need to spend $500+ to enjoy your music. Even a $100 set of cans- and in your case, a $60 set of headphones- would do.

That is, until I heard the AH-D5000. They sounded so unbelievably good that I couldn't bring myself to say my M50s provided a satisfactory listening experience. And once you get over the hurdle of being unable to justify spending extra money on audio gear then it becomes less about the price tag and more about searching for a completely satisfactory sound- as elusive and ambiguous that is. If you think you have that with your $60 JVC's then your headphone journey can end there. For me the K701/K702 comes very close. Of course, that doesn't stop me from trying more higher-end models. If I experience the same thing with one of the $1000+ flagships then I wouldn't hesitate to save up for them.

TL;DR: There's refurbished Audio-Technica A900X's selling for $150. Grab'em. http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATHA900XRB

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #24,669 of 29,490
Quote:

I used to be like you, I had my $100 ATH-M50s and I just never understood paying extra for marginal, unnoticeable improvements in audio quality in more expensive models, especially with diminishing returns. To me, there were good headphones and bad headphones. Bad headphones were beats and skullcandy... As long as you had a decent pair of cans, you didn't need to spend $500+ to enjoy your music. Even a $100 set of cans- and in your case, a $60 set of headphones- would do.

That is, until I heard the AH-D5000. Then the K701. They sounded so unbelievably good that I couldn't bring myself to say my M50s provided a satisfactory listening experience. And once you get over the hurdle of being unable to justify spending extra money on audio gear then it becomes less about the price tag and more about searching for the completely satisfactory sound- as elusive and ambiguous that is.

TL;DR: There's refurbished Audio-Technica A900X's selling for $150. Grab'em. http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATHA900XRB

Definitely agree with this. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #24,670 of 29,490
Ive read a ton of reviews and it seems 50/50 on the love/hate for M50. Ive heard a lot of good things about AKG K550 from many threads. As far as trying them on im limited to best buy which only carries beats, bose, and Sony x10. Believe me ive searched. Any other good suggestions?

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #24,671 of 29,490
Quote:
Ive read a ton of reviews and it seems 50/50 on the love/hate for M50. Ive heard a lot of good things about AKG K550 from many threads. As far as trying them on im limited to best buy which only carries beats, bose, and Sony x10. Believe me ive searched. Any other good suggestions?

What sound signature do you want? It'll be much easier for us to help you if we know what type of sound you like.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #24,672 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks!

Your sources appear to be the weak point in your chain.  If you go to a real audio shop and can't hear the difference between a quality $60 and a quality $200 can, then any money spent is wasted--at least for now.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #24,673 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Grado SR 80i, Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Semi open: AKG 240 Studio, Superlux HD668B

After some more research based on your suggestions.  It seems the Alessandro MS-1 might be a little more well-rounded than the SR-80i.  I'm sure the Ad700 is more comfortable than either the MS-1 or the SR-80i.  So the question now becomes, is there a big enough difference in the sound qualities of the MS-1/SR80i and the AD700 to justify the MS-1/80i over the AD700?  In other words, is the bass so weak on the ad700 that I should really just suck it up and deal with the possibility of some discomfort from the MS-1/80i for the additional sound quality or will there be such a minor difference between the three that I should pick the most comforable (ad700)?

Thanks
Mike

I agree that the MS-1i is better than the 80i it it is also over your max budget of $100, albeit not by much.

I prefer the MS-1i over the AD700, but they are so different that it's almost like apples and oranges. Neither is a bass oriented can, but the Alessandro has more.

With regard to comfort, most find the AT to be very comfortable, while many find the Alessandro (and its Grado siblings) to be uncomfortable.  However, you may or may not be in the majority in either/both case(s).

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #24,674 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

[size=small]  [/size]

What kind of sound signature are you after?

Know that, like most open cans, the HD 598 leaks sound and does not isolate well.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #24,675 of 29,490
New member looking for some new hifi cans that I can use at home or work. I liked this format so I borrowed it too.

Where do you live and in what country do you plan to buy?
USA

What is your budget?
$100-$250

Are you ok with open cans (they leak sound)?
Maybe. I plan to use them at work and can not have my music heard by others nearby. Conversely I must be able to hear if someone speaks to me as my position requires that I assist co-workers if they need help.

What equipment will be powering these cans? Will you be using an amp?
Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2), laptop or iPod Classic

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
Mix of lossless and low bit tunes purchased from iTunes and or Google Music

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
Balanced sounds about right

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
Mostly 80s 90s Hard Rock, along with blues, jazz, metal, old school rap, techno, dub step and even some blue grass for good measure.

Do you plan to use them outside your home? If so, in what way & with what
Smartphone or iPod Classic.

As you can tell, I listen to just about everything and I can go from one genre to another at any time. My main listening would be hard rock or metal but I dont want to sacrifice other genre's just to get the best sound for one specific type.

Back in the days of the first sony discmans, I had a set of sony studio monitor cans but cant remember the model. What I recall from 20 yrs ago is that I could only listen for about 45 mins before fatigue would set in. They sounded ok to my 20 yr old ears with the same genres I still enjoy. I need somethung similar but more refined and comfortable for hours at a time.

I have read many of the reviews here but still cant pick a clear choice. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss. Sorry for the long drawn out post.

Ok so doing more searching and would love to know what you all think about rhe Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 coupled with FiiO E11?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back