++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #24,646 of 29,490
Recently purchased a pair of Shure SRH-940's. Absolutely adored them! For me the sound quality was simply, sublime. However after only two weeks the arm that allows you to adjust the size cracked. Unfortunately I can't recommend them as the build quality is below par! Before I purchased the Shure's I was split between them and the AKG K550's. So I was wondering what the consensus was on these pair?

To be used on the go and for some recording.

Sound/Build quality - good or bad? 
I listening to a range of genres from rock, hip-hop, electronic, some classical.

Thanks in advance head-fi'ers!

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #24,647 of 29,490
Quick question, is it likely that I would enjoy a pair of Mad Dog Alpha headphones coming from a pair of DT770 Pro 80Ohm? I do like some bass punch, and I am a bit worried that the Mad Dog's might lack a bit compared to DT770's.

I know MrSpeakers has a return policy but it's only for US customers, I am not one of them. I am very interested in the Mad Dog headphones but just a bit worried I won't end up liking them as I can't return them if I don't.

Thanks for any answers! :)

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #24,648 of 29,490
Quote:
Quick question, is it likely that I would enjoy a pair of Mad Dog Alpha headphones coming from a pair of DT770 Pro 80Ohm? I do like some bass punch, and I am a bit worried that the Mad Dog's might lack a bit compared to DT770's.

I know MrSpeakers has a return policy but it's only for US customers, I am not one of them. I am very interested in the Mad Dog headphones but just a bit worried I won't end up liking them as I can't return them if I don't.

Thanks for any answers! :)

I believe the Mr Speaker Mad Dogs with Alpha pads is very close to the old Denon DX000 sound and maybe even better from what I've been told.

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #24,649 of 29,490
Yo sup folks! looking to buy some new headphones over the internet and was hoping you folks could help me out since i really don't know enough to make solid decision :s.

What I'm looking for:

- Looking to spend $250-300
- Closed and Comfortable
- Strong build

Some songs to help out if you got the free time:

Lemon Jelly - Stay With You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERwYBwldPs
Skream - Summer Dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJM96Y5EE3M
Dnell - This Thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATo3jKAKLLM

Thank you guys, I'm really hoping for a good 1st experience with some cans over $50!

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #24,650 of 29,490
Quote:
My bad I misread what your counsins favorite sound. He may like the bower and wilkins P5 or shure shr940, assuming he will want them to be portable. Otherwise check and see if he could get an used hd600 or 650. That would be ideal.

Hey, no problem at all man.. I am going to try and audition some of those myself at my local audio store. Hopefully I can try most of them there (I've heard the P5's before I think..)  Thanks again.. this helped more than you know dude.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #24,651 of 29,490
Quote:
Go with the CAL!   I don't know your individual equipment.  I have not yet found anything that is decent that won't drive them--or the 440.  As I have said more than once, the Superlux is harder to drive and not all decent low power portable and computer audio will drive them adequately.

So the 440 and the CAL! are equally easily driven. That's good. Do you know how well the CAL! wires hold up? They look more on the flimsy side from the pictures. That's how my last pair of phones broke- wire got loose and my left side conked out. Because of the irritation of my headphones breaking I'm kind of interested in a durable headphone as well as good sounding (and would be willing to pay more cash for it- It will pay itself off anyway, right?)

Thanks for your help

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #24,652 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
V moda m100. They are stylish but still have a good sound and great for the genre's of music you listed. Good luck convincing him on changing his mind though, beats fanboys are very persistant. It's nearly impossible to convince them that beats are extremely over priced..

What about.. an alternate to Bassheavy cans at the $300 price range?

Where Vocals/Soundstage is important?

Shure SRH 940--but he'll need an amp.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #24,653 of 29,490
Quote:
New here... looking for some advice from the experts.

I'd like to try some open headphones just to have something different.  I currently have some closed headphones (Sennheiser) and various IEM's.  I really love the comfort of the Sennheiser headphones, but I want to try something open for the different sound quality.

The most important qualifiers for me are:
- Price (under $100 USD)
- Comfort (I have big ears and most headphones hurt my ears after a few minutes)
- Open back

I listen to a very broad range of music from classical to metal and EDM. I'd like some headphones that can do a variety of music in terms of decent bass, warm sounding mids, and clear highs.  I know for under $100 all this might not be possible, but I'd like to hear some suggestions of some headphones that come close to meeting those request.  Just to reiterate, I'm only looking for a set of open headphones right now, I'm pretty happy with the closed headphones I have. 

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Grado SR 80i, Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Semi open: AKG 240 Studio, Superlux HD668B

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #24,654 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Go with the CAL!   I don't know your individual equipment.  I have not yet found anything that is decent that won't drive them--or the 440.  As I have said more than once, the Superlux is harder to drive and not all decent low power portable and computer audio will drive them adequately.

So the 440 and the CAL! are equally easily driven. That's good. Do you know how well the CAL! wires hold up? They look more on the flimsy side from the pictures. That's how my last pair of phones broke- wire got loose and my left side conked out. Because of the irritation of my headphones breaking I'm kind of interested in a durable headphone as well as good sounding (and would be willing to pay more cash for it- It will pay itself off anyway, right?)

Thanks for your help

I've had no problem, but I don't expose them to rough duty either.  Exposed wires are always a weak point for those that do.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #24,655 of 29,490
Quote:
Yo sup folks! looking to buy some new headphones over the internet and was hoping you folks could help me out since i really don't know enough to make solid decision :s.

What I'm looking for:

- Looking to spend $250-300
- Closed and Comfortable
- Strong build

Some songs to help out if you got the free time:

Lemon Jelly - Stay With You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERwYBwldPs
Skream - Summer Dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJM96Y5EE3M
Dnell - This Thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATo3jKAKLLM

Thank you guys, I'm really hoping for a good 1st experience with some cans over $50!

Preferred sound signature?

Are you OK with open cans?  They leak sound and tend not to isolate well?

What equipment will be powering them?  Will you be using and amp?

Do you need them to be portable and/or intend to us them when out and about?

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #24,656 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

My brother is after some headphones to use with his ipod and I have not kept up to date with the headphone market over the last few years so was hoping for some advice.

The budget would be a maximum of £300 and top priority would be:

1) Capable of being driven by ipod without sacrificing much sound quality
2) Soundstage
3) Isolation

I was hoping if someone could advise me on a few key issues:

a) I am not very knowledgeable as to to how easy this price range of headphones is to drive with a portable source like the ipod. Is it merely a case of how loud you can drive the headphones or do you also lose sound quality if you don't use an amp?

b) He doesn't intend to buy even a portable amp as it detracts from the ease of use and lightweight nature of the ipod - so is it even worth buying headphones at this price range - or does not using an amp essentially make £100 headphones indistinguishable from £300 ones?

If you guys could just suggest a few models - I will of course do the rest of the research myself - just needed some direction to look in.

Many thanks!

PS sound signature wise - he'd probably like something quite neutral with maybe a bit of added weight to the bass - in terms of impact but not boom - 

Have you checked the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread--and especially those cans rated a "1"?

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #24,657 of 29,490
Quote:
I would like to recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X as a good contender for closed-back headphones in the $200-$300 price range. Very fun cans and good all-arounder; rich, full-bodied sound while still remaining very flat in the frequency response measurements. Will play anything you throw at it - music, games, movies - and impress.

Some people have said that the highs on these cans can be a little harsh though and Im really picky about the highs.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #24,658 of 29,490
Quote:
Some people have said that the highs on these cans can be a little harsh though and Im really picky about the highs.

Some people's ears are also broken. :wink: Do you know how many people said the A900X and K550 sound similar? These two cans sound like night and day.

The highs on A900X are NOT harsh in the slightest. I actually get more sibilance issue with K550 than A900X. The A900X is sparkly without sibilance - it's just perfect.  Part of the reason is because of how pronounced the mids are, as well as the upper-treble - it's balanced in such a way that they don't make the 7K-10K peak sound harsh.  The K550 on the other hand rolled off upper-treble too early and the mids are too recessed in comparison, which causes a very harsh upper-mids/lower-treble, where the peak is (especially because you have to turn up the volume with the K550 due to thin and relatively recessed mids).

Sibilance occurs mostly in the lower/mid-treble; the delayed treble roll-off on the A900X does not cause sibilance, it simply brings out a lot more details relative to the K550 (whose overall treble presentation I consider to be on the soft side). I think instruments sound a lot more textured and natural on the A900X.

Anyway, people's tastes differ and I am not you - so if you are curious I would recommend you go listen to a pair and see for yourself.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #24,660 of 29,490
Hi folks. I've been thinking of getting some new headphones. I got my first pair of not-stock-earphone set a few years ago after perusing this site for a while, and got some budget-y JVC M750s on the basis of some fairly positive opinions around this site. So far they have been excellent and head & shoulders above any really really cheap stuff I've had before.

But, now I'm thinking of getting something better. I was thinking of spending around $200. I've done enough reading on this site and others to have a general idea of the better ones around that price range, but that's not really my question. I'm wondering more if going from an approximately $60 dollar set of headphones to a $200 set will provide a noticeable enough difference to warrant that kind of investment. 

I would imagine that there will be an improvement, but I'm not entirely sure how much of an improvement there will be. Its somewhat hard to tell with all the reviews I've read because in most positive reviews one might read something like, "they sound great", which doesn't necessarily describe the magnitude of the greatness. And its quite clear the actual retail price of the product does not always equate to its quality relative to others. 

So, is an upgrade to that range worth it? For instance, perhaps a possible answer to this question could be, 'if your current headphones are working fine, then wait until they really start to fail, and then save up for a $400 pair instead'. Or, maybe its 'yes! You will notice a significant difference with that increase in quality, do it, do it now!'.

I've gone to a shop or two and listened to a few more expensive headphones, and I must admit I can't.... quite tell the difference. But, perhaps I'm not enough of a listener just yet to truly appreciate the subtleties. 

My sources for music are typically my compy, and various mp3 players.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back