++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 12, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #24,541 of 29,490
Quote:
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Grado ear pads are easily changed by carefully pulling them off and them slipping a new set (L-Cush?) on.

Hey,

i tried subscribing wasnt sure if you got my post or not... here it is again :)

Currently I use the FiiO E17 as a DAC/AMP.
I am getting in a Schiit Magni amp as well

Format:
Mostly mp3/flac/m4a ideally stuff will be stored either on a hard disk, from itunes/purchased online or my phone as a media device but i am not aiming for portability here.

I suspect mostly music will be electronica/rock/heavy metal and bass (ie Devin Martin and Dubstep),

Other audio? Well i dont really have them targeted for movies but i may watch blu-ray dvds with them if during the day I can do so, since i am usually working the movie part isnt critical to me.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #24,542 of 29,490
Quote:
I am thinking about buying the ath-ad900. Is there any other comfortable open air headphones that I should look at?

What is your budget?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable (like the AD 900) and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #24,544 of 29,490
Right here right now scratch the beats off your list if you love bass. While they put out a lot of mid bass noise, its some of the worst bass I have ever heard. Compared even to my $7 iem, the bass is trashy, boomy, has terrible extension and lacks any definition. Add that to the fact that its so boosted it rattles the cheap plastic housing and it bleeds all over the mids like the elevator in the shining and they really aren't worth anyone's ears

The Sonys have good bass but it tends to bleed into the mids a lot which can to some make it sound muddy. Have you considered the beyerdynamic dt770 pro?

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #24,545 of 29,490
Hi I'm looking for a headphone with 'Musical' and 'Forgiving' nature. Should have good bass and mids

My preferred signature comes from IEM - Brainwavz M2.

Can anyone tell me if V-Moda M80 will be suitable for my preferred signature? Also if you know any other headphones which has signature similar to Brainwavz M2 please let me know

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #24,547 of 29,490
Quote:
For $600 - HD 650s amped or HE-500s unamped (soonest possible date for an amp upgrade is many months down the road)? Unfortunately, I'm not a millionaire like everyone here seems to be :-/

Unamped HE 500 is a foolish purchase--unless you put it in your hope chest until you can buy a decent amp.

BTW--won't an extra $100 for some new Schiit be enough to power the the HE 500?

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #24,548 of 29,490
Quote:
For $600 - HD 650s amped or HE-500s unamped (soonest possible date for an amp upgrade is many months down the road)? Unfortunately, I'm not a millionaire like everyone here seems to be :-/

Consider also HE-400 with a Fiio E07K/E17, or an Audio-Gd NFB-12
beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #24,550 of 29,490
Right here right now scratch the beats off your list if you love bass. While they put out a lot of mid bass noise, its some of the worst bass I have ever heard. Compared even to my $7 iem, the bass is trashy, boomy, has terrible extension and lacks any definition. Add that to the fact that its so boosted it rattles the cheap plastic housing and it bleeds all over the mids like the elevator in the shining and they really aren't worth anyone's ears

Thanks for your review but now should I buy ath pro700mk2 or xb700 as I am a great lover of bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back