++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #24,526 of 29,490
Hello everyone, I'm freshly joined and hoping someone could give me guidance as I choose my headphones.

Up until now I have been using these phillips headphones (they kicked the bucket on me after 1.5 yrs),
http://www.aztekcomputers.com/SHL500028-PHILLIPS-2109133.html

As implied in the title I am looking at the Shure SRH 440, KRK KNS 6400, and Fostex T40RPmkII. As someone who listens mainly to jazz, blues, classical, folk, indie, etc. as well as rock and even the occasional metal or punk band, I am looking for a balanced sound. What gets me is a nice, balanced bass with good texturing, and natural sounding mids/highs (when the guitar plays an E2, I want to hear that beautiful texture, when the clarinet plays a D3, I want to hear the rosewood in its tone).

In other words I'm not in to artificially pumped or damped sound, really in any way. I love to hear everything my music and instruments can provide in and of themselves. I think I want the closed headphone style as I am in college and isolation is necessary sometimes. I use my headphones out and about as well, not just at home. I've been creeping the forums for a while now, so I believe I want one of these, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Guidance on my first foray into the audiophile world will be greatly appreciated.

Price point
$100 (saving game here)

Use
Vinyl records, mp3+phone, computer
various genres
walking about outside, library, dorm room, everywhere essentially

Thank you in advance
~Justin

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #24,527 of 29,490
I posted a thread before stupidly as I didn't notice this one but -

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones (which have decent isolation, there'll be alot of traffic noise when I'm listening to them sometimes) and work very well non-amped. I don't think I want something overly bass-y as I know something like this or with with excessive treble can mean that it may be too much to listen to for more than 20 minutes at a time. So comfort is also important, I don't want to feel them crushing my head or just weighing me down all the time.

Originally I had in mind the Beyerdynamic DT 250 - 80 Ohms as they seemed perfect for what I was looking for, very nice sound quality overall and fairly neutral. But I was dismayed to find out that the soundstage was less than impressive, quite 2 dimensional in fact. I then looked towrads the DT 990's, seeing them very well reviewed by many of you, even though they had prominent bass and treble many of you felt it was within reason and made them the more "fun" headphones from DT series, I also liked their circumaural design and read they were really comfortable, but again ended up annoyed at finding out they were open, so no isolation. I've also heard that the 770s, 880s, and 990s all require an amp more than the 250s to work to their full potential.

Soundstage is really important for me (so the 250s aren't looking too good, unless I can't find something else of course), I'm looking for a pair of phones with a large and decent soundstage.

Budget is not a problem for me right now. I've head Ultrasones and possibly Sony's Voda M-100 and MDR-1R may be alright for what I'm looking for too.

Thanks in advance anyway!

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #24,528 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm freshly joined and hoping someone could give me guidance as I choose my headphones.

Up until now I have been using these phillips headphones (they kicked the bucket on me after 1.5 yrs),
http://www.aztekcomputers.com/SHL500028-PHILLIPS-2109133.html

As implied in the title I am looking at the Shure SRH 440, KRK KNS 6400, and Fostex T40RPmkII. As someone who listens mainly to jazz, blues, classical, folk, indie, etc. as well as rock and even the occasional metal or punk band, I am looking for a balanced sound. What gets me is a nice, balanced bass with good texturing, and natural sounding mids/highs (when the guitar plays an E2, I want to hear that beautiful texture, when the clarinet plays a D3, I want to hear the rosewood in its tone).

In other words I'm not in to artificially pumped or damped sound, really in any way. I love to hear everything my music and instruments can provide in and of themselves. I think I want the closed headphone style as I am in college and isolation is necessary sometimes. I use my headphones out and about as well, not just at home. I've been creeping the forums for a while now, so I believe I want one of these, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Guidance on my first foray into the audiophile world will be greatly appreciated.

Price point
$100 (saving game here)

Use
Vinyl records, mp3+phone, computer
various genres
walking about outside, library, dorm room, everywhere essentially

Thank you in advance
~Justin

Although I haven't heard that model of the Fostex, I think you're on the right track--although I would add the CAL! to your list.

But here's the thing: rarely will you get a $100 headphone to sound as good as what you have described that you want.  You'll generally have get into the neighborhood of $200 and up to reach that level of quality.  Further, most of the those cans either need or greatly benefit from an amp.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #24,529 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I posted a thread before stupidly as I didn't notice this one but -

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones (which have decent isolation, there'll be alot of traffic noise when I'm listening to them sometimes) and work very well non-amped. I don't think I want something overly bass-y as I know something like this or with with excessive treble can mean that it may be too much to listen to for more than 20 minutes at a time. So comfort is also important, I don't want to feel them crushing my head or just weighing me down all the time.

Originally I had in mind the Beyerdynamic DT 250 - 80 Ohms as they seemed perfect for what I was looking for, very nice sound quality overall and fairly neutral. But I was dismayed to find out that the soundstage was less than impressive, quite 2 dimensional in fact. I then looked towrads the DT 990's, seeing them very well reviewed by many of you, even though they had prominent bass and treble many of you felt it was within reason and made them the more "fun" headphones from DT series, I also liked their circumaural design and read they were really comfortable, but again ended up annoyed at finding out they were open, so no isolation. I've also heard that the 770s, 880s, and 990s all require an amp more than the 250s to work to their full potential.

Soundstage is really important for me (so the 250s aren't looking too good, unless I can't find something else of course), I'm looking for a pair of phones with a large and decent soundstage.

Budget is not a problem for me right now. I've head Ultrasones and possibly Sony's Voda M-100 and MDR-1R may be alright for what I'm looking for too.

Thanks in advance anyway!

Basically it come down to you want the advantages of an open can in the body of a closed can.  That's just not going to happen--especially to the degree to which you are asking.  I find the Shure SRH 940 to have a very nice sound stage, but it doesn't match those of quality open cans in its price class.  The Ultrasones are are designed with S-Logic, which some folks like, but other folks don't hear a difference in sound stage; and still others hear an increased sound stage but one that is artificial and unnatural in sound.

Topic #2 comfort (I'm now to the point of copying and pasting this): 

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #24,531 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've seen thought that the kg550s and ath900x have decent soundstage, not sure about their isolation though , any thoughts on the t5p's?

The T5p is a $1,400 very large "portable" headphone.  Perhaps discussion of it belongs in the Summit-Fi section of the forum; perhaps in the portable/IEM forum section; perhaps both; but definitely not here.  In any case I don't think many, if any, who are regulars here have heard it.

Don't remember either of the other two cans being reviewed by anyone who said that their sound stage approached the K 701 & 702/Q701 or the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900(+/-X).  Their sound stages would not especially good in comparison to equivalent priced quality open or semi-open cans.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #24,532 of 29,490
Thank you.

It's good to know I'm on the right track. I realize that to completely experience what I was talking about I need to drop some more coin than I have. I may have gotten a little too excited
beyersmile.png
I am looking for something that points more in that direction than in the cold & analytical or highly emphasized directions, though I know I won't get there on my current budget. I am actually considering even cheaper headphones* after reading the 107 headphone shootout thread due to my price point, though it's unfortunate that I have to.

*(Maxell DHP-II, Numark PHX Pro, Superlux HD668B, Fischer Audio FA-004)

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #24,533 of 29,490
I recently just got a new job and I'm looking for some advice for a new pair of over-ear noise cancelling headphones. I want to be able to tune out the co-workers and general office noise in the background while still getting very good audio quality when I want to listen to music (mostly dubstep, so the highs and lows are equally appreciated) or watch a customer's video.

I'm a -little- in the know when it comes to detecting good or bad quality headphones, as I majored in Broadcast Sound & Engineering for a few years, but that was a long time ago. My budget is $500 or less. I'm hoping to get a pair that doesn't require batteries (has a USB charger or something) but batteries for the noise cancellation will be alright if necessary. 

Bose QC15 is basically the standard in noise cancelling on Head-Fi, and they're pretty bassy going by the frequency response graph.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #24,537 of 29,490
OK guys I have a tough one here. My old man is upgrading. His creative zen xtra crapped out and I've convinced him to replace it with a sansa clip (I plan on getting one myself). Now since this thing is so small and flash based for extra vibration resistance, he's going to use it to replace his "lawn mowing rig" an old no name dap and a set of iem he got free with some batteries.
I really do see a chance to get him into HiFi headphones. He has a decent home theatre system and is has been a musician all his life. But in his own words, "spending more than $20 on a set of headphones is stupid" and "I'd rather listen to speakers, headphones don't sound real".
So the challenge is this; I need reccomendations on a very good isolating headphone that he will want to use even once the mowing is done. He told me he'd much rather full sized cans than iem because the vibration makes them uncomfortable. Sound signature, figure bassy and fun, but still flat enough to be use able for home studio work. He doesn't like my mdr-v7 but had his toe tapping when I let him demo the Phillips cityscape metro (horrid sounding and going back this week BTW). Also, he's a drummer so bass impact has to be there. I doubt I could get him to drop more than $30, but $20 will probably work as he spoke of getting a set of Sony mdr-v250 like he used to have (junk, but went for about $25 when he had them)

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #24,538 of 29,490
Hello,

I recently just got a new job and I'm looking for some advice for a new pair of over-ear noise cancelling headphones. I want to be able to tune out the co-workers and general office noise in the background while still getting very good audio quality when I want to listen to music (mostly dubstep, so the highs and lows are equally appreciated) or watch a customer's video.

I'm a -little- in the know when it comes to detecting good or bad quality headphones, as I majored in Broadcast Sound & Engineering for a few years, but that was a long time ago. My budget is $500 or less. I'm hoping to get a pair that doesn't require batteries (has a USB charger or something) but batteries for the noise cancellation will be alright if necessary.

Any suggestions or advice are extremely appreciated.

Thanks!

Not my thing, but this may be helpful:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-noise-canceling

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #24,539 of 29,490
I have 5 headphones in my list which one should I buy??
1 beats solo hd
2 audio technica ath pro700mk2
3 audio technica m50s
4 Sony xb 700
5 Ultrason HFI-580

I love to hear hip hop and hard rock and I love bass very much!!

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #24,540 of 29,490
I have 5 headphones in my list which one should I buy??
1 beats solo hd
2 audio technica ath pro700mk2
3 audio technica m50s
4 Sony xb 700
5 Ultrason HFI-580

I love to hear hip hop and hard rock and I love bass very much!!

Right here right now scratch the beats off your list if you love bass. While they put out a lot of mid bass noise, its some of the worst bass I have ever heard. Compared even to my $7 iem, the bass is trashy, boomy, has terrible extension and lacks any definition. Add that to the fact that its so boosted it rattles the cheap plastic housing and it bleeds all over the mids like the elevator in the shining and they really aren't worth anyone's ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back