++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 11, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #24,513 of 29,490
Quote:

Music genres: Classic Rock - I also am a gamer
Price range: Less than 400.00 
Amped: Sounblaster ZXR
Closed/Open: Closed - more about me not hearing others than them hearing me - I am not completely rigid here and realize I have never heard open 
Headphone preference:  - I have ATH A700, looking for a step up from there
from looking around here I like the Ultrasone Pro 900, Alpha Mad Dogs, I also like the looks of the DT 880s.

I find the ATH A700 that I have now, fairly comfortable.  I have a big head.  My ears get hot and sweat after a while, I don't enjoy that.  
I have a small child that has caused these headphones to go flying off the desk.  They have survived that well. I plan on chaining my child to a wall after I get new phones but in case his mother sets him free, durability isn't a bad thing for me.

First you'll have to decide on sound signature you want.  The 900 is a basshead class can while the others are far more neutral and balanced audiophile oriented.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #24,514 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

Music preferences: random most are not bass intense but I have Devin Martin music would like to get more feedback from bass without busting overall presence of instruments etc.

After: Open ear design
Why: during the day i want to listen to music but hear people around me
         dont care if i can hear pcs etc/doesnt matter if others can hear too.
         I currently have: A700X

After: balanced headphones with natural bass and a bit more bass than the A700X
          would like another headphone company though just prefer variety.
price: Around $200 - $280
Restrictions: International shipping avaliable please if you are able to readily grab that.

I did some grubbing into the Grado series but it seemed the price range sub-300 did not have sufficient ear-pads or so it seemed, dont know about exchanging/changing earpads never done it dont know whats involved.

Thanks

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Grado ear pads are easily changed by carefully pulling them off and them slipping a new set (L-Cush?) on.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #24,515 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi!

Definitely someone new to buying a more expensive set of headphones. I'm looking to buy a new set of headphones and have a budget of around $100. (Yes, I know a really good pair could cost a lot more...but when I've only really used what has come with a product I have bought...this is a big step :) ) I listen to a lot of progressive rock...so I want to be able to hear the whole range of what is going on.  For the most part, I would be using them at home...but definitely want to take them on the road.  They will either be plugged into my iPod touch or home entertainment system.  From what I've read, the Sennheiser 230pros are supposed to be good bang for the buck...but would love to hear any other thoughts on headphones that would meet my needs.

Thanks!

Among the best cans that are about $100 or less and don't need an amp are: the CAL!, Alessandro MS-1, KRK KNS 6400, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and Sony MDR-7506 or 7510.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #24,516 of 29,490
Quote:
The Q701 presents bass, but its dialed down relative to the mids and highs.  Much as you might wish otherwise, it does not meet your articulated standard for bass.  The new, more expensive and limited K 702 65th Annies are a better choice.  They have more bass.

All the AKG K/Q 70x cans require an amp.  Unamped none will work with set-up #1 above.  They might work at least reasonably well with #2.  However, the headphone out on receivers made during the last 20 to 25 years have been so watered down so often, only someone with your particular model receiver can give you a reliable answer-provided they also have the can you want tested.

There are a number of decent portable amps within your budget.  You might want to check the appreciation thread for the can that you ultimately select to get a good match.

The bass is not 'that' big a deal, really. The main ingredient would have to be clear, articulate sound. I just want perfect sound. It would now seem I will be getting a cheaper class portable amp. Are there some other alternatives to Q701 I could consider?

Requirements for the headphones:

0. They are an upgrade to K501
1. Perfect sound for me
2. Possibly open, since I don't know if closed will work with glasses that well.
3. Gaming, music, movies.
4. YES lively, clear, unveiled, articulate, definitive, revealing sound, a little warmth is +, natural; NOT overly sterile or cold
5. Decent oomph in the bass (can be obtained by eq is fine with me), great mids, non-tiring highs
6. Guitars (metal and acoustic), vocals, piano need to sound good
7. Comfortable to wear hours on end

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #24,517 of 29,490
Quote:
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Grado ear pads are easily changed by carefully pulling them off and them slipping a new set (L-Cush?) on.

hey,

Currently I use the FiiO E17 as a DAC/AMP.
I am getting in a Schiit Magni amp as well

Format:
Mostly mp3/flac/m4a ideally stuff will be stored either on a hard disk, from itunes/purchased online or my phone as a media device but i am not aiming for portability here.

I suspect mostly music will be electronica/rock/heavy metal and bass (ie Devin Martin and Dubstep),

Other audio? Well i dont really have them targeted for movies but i may watch blu-ray dvds with them if during the day I can do so, since i am usually working the movie part isnt critical to me.

Edit: Sorry left out amp model.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #24,518 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The Q701 presents bass, but its dialed down relative to the mids and highs.  Much as you might wish otherwise, it does not meet your articulated standard for bass.  The new, more expensive and limited K 702 65th Annies are a better choice.  They have more bass.

All the AKG K/Q 70x cans require an amp.  Unamped none will work with set-up #1 above.  They might work at least reasonably well with #2.  However, the headphone out on receivers made during the last 20 to 25 years have been so watered down so often, only someone with your particular model receiver can give you a reliable answer-provided they also have the can you want tested.

There are a number of decent portable amps within your budget.  You might want to check the appreciation thread for the can that you ultimately select to get a good match.

The bass is not 'that' big a deal, really. The main ingredient would have to be clear, articulate sound. I just want perfect sound. It would now seem I will be getting a cheaper class portable amp. Are there some other alternatives to Q701 I could consider?

Requirements for the headphones:

0. They are an upgrade to K501
1. Perfect sound for me
2. Possibly open, since I don't know if closed will work with glasses that well.
3. Gaming, music, movies.
4. YES lively, clear, unveiled, articulate, definitive, revealing sound, a little warmth is +, natural; NOT overly sterile or cold
5. Decent oomph in the bass (can be obtained by eq is fine with me), great mids, non-tiring highs
6. Guitars (metal and acoustic), vocals, piano need to sound good
7. Comfortable to wear hours on end

Maybe you should just read through this excellent series of reviews.  From it pick the can that is still in production; is within your budget and best describes the "perfect sound for me":

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_HE400

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #24,519 of 29,490
Quote:
If you are in the U.S., you must not be looking very hard.  One example:

http://www.pssl.com/!8FbFITithFtMd!WZursNRQ!/Sennheiser-PC360-Pro-Gaming-Headphone-Headset-s?gclid=CL_BwoewrLUCFWaoPAodNRoAxw

No, I was looking plenty hard. It's been discontinued. Whatever stock that store has left is the last of them, and I likely won't have enough money before they're gone. But thanks anyways.

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #24,520 of 29,490
Quote:
Do you care about closed/open? For a while, Ultrasone marketed the old 700's specifically as excellent for DVDs (and then Alienware did the same for gaming). I can attest they're very good at both. The newer model is the HFI 780. You can get that for 150, and that would leave you budget to get a DAC if you don't have a good source already (like a gaming soundcard). HFI 780 and FiiO E17 would put you in at just under 300.

Thanks man. I've already got the E17. Wonderful DAC and the EQing is phenomenal. I'll check out the HFI 780, but I've also been keeping an eye on Sennheiser's new PC 363D. Looks interesting, and I can only assume the reason they discontinued the PC 360 is to push the market towards this new model.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #24,521 of 29,490
Quote:
I've researched a bit more and I'm back for advice on headphones. 

- Budget up to 200$

- decent soundstage for dolby headphone usage

- prefer closed but I'm okay with open headphones if they are better for the same price

- I like good bass and clean balanced sound, not too much boom but also not without boom if you get me :)

- not too hard to drive without an amp, will mostly be used with pc soundcard (still deciding which one to buy)

- usage: gaming, music (rock, club, classical)  (ordered by significance)

If you can, get the Beyerdynamic MMX 300. It's pretty much exactly what you asked for, but it's a bit more pricy (around $250).

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #24,523 of 29,490
Let me approach this a different way...

If I wanted the all-around best sounding closed or semi-closed (circumaural) headphone for progressive rock, with sensitivity and impedance suitable for a portable DAP, and ≤$500, what should I be auditioning?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #24,524 of 29,490
I have an Aune T1 (well, "have" as in bought... still waiting on it) and was looking at a used Sennheiser 598. Are there any other open headphones in this price range that I should look towards? I would prefer to keep things under $200, thanks.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #24,525 of 29,490
I have an Aune T1 (well, "have" as in bought... still waiting on it) and was looking at a used Sennheiser 598. Are there any other open headphones in this price range that I should look towards? I would prefer to keep things under $200, thanks.

AKG Q701 is an oft-mentioned competitor to the HD598.

I had mine and enjoyed it until I bought my Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back