++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 10, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #24,496 of 29,490
Quote:
Is there an easy to drive little brother of the HD650? :xf_eek: Similar sound sig, smooth/laid back but easier to drive and a bit cheaper?

There's always the HD439. They are 32 ohm and are made to be driven by iPods and small Amps. They cost about $110.00. Very nice phone for the money. The Marketing materials say they have "enhanced bass" but that wasn't my experience. Nice Bass, but not heavy bass. The Audio Technica M50s (also great bang for the buck) were much Bassier for instance, but had a harsher top end. 

Sennheiser HD439

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #24,497 of 29,490
Quote:
What I can tell you is the the CAL! is the best choice for the needs you described--base on U.S. pricing.

The K 240 is also good, but your computer on board audio may not be able to power it well enough to satisfy you.

I have not heard the downline AD 500--only the AD700 & 900.

Thanks, i will look for the best prices and chose one. My last doubt is about the CAL comfort.. I will look for some reviews.

Thank you

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #24,498 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
What I can tell you is the the CAL! is the best choice for the needs you described--base on U.S. pricing.

The K 240 is also good, but your computer on board audio may not be able to power it well enough to satisfy you.

I have not heard the downline AD 500--only the AD700 & 900.

Thanks, i will look for the best prices and chose one. My last doubt is about the CAL comfort.. I will look for some reviews.

Thank you

The CAL! is considered by most to be a very comfortable  can.  I have mine on now.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #24,499 of 29,490
Quote:
Is there an easy to drive little brother of the HD650? :xf_eek: Similar sound sig, smooth/laid back but easier to drive and a bit cheaper?

No such animal.

Among those that are still in production, the closest you'll get are probably the HD 558 & 598--but they don't have as much bass, etc., etc.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #24,500 of 29,490
Quote:
Go to the post immediately above yours and answer all the questions that you have not already addressed in your request (appearing with this response).

Where do you live and in what country do you plan to buy?
United States

What is your budget?
Around $100, i can raise it a little.

Are you OK with open cans like the ones you mentioned (they leak sound)?
Yes

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?
If i can place one into my budget then sure.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

I plan on also doing casual gaming with these, but music wise i'd say FLAC and MP3.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
About everything, but mainly VGM, Drum n Bass, Trip-Hop, Thrash/Prog Metal and Orchestral.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?
Not really.

I hope this is enough information for you to come up with a decision, thanks again.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #24,501 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Go to the post immediately above yours and answer all the questions that you have not already addressed in your request (appearing with this response).

Where do you live and in what country do you plan to buy?
United States

What is your budget?
Around $100, i can raise it a little.

Are you OK with open cans like the ones you mentioned (they leak sound)?
Yes

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?
If i can place one into my budget then sure.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

I plan on also doing casual gaming with these, but music wise i'd say FLAC and MP3.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
About everything, but mainly VGM, Drum n Bass, Trip-Hop, Thrash/Prog Metal and Orchestral.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?
Not really.

I hope this is enough information for you to come up with a decision, thanks again.

Without an amp get the CAL!, unless you go in a basshead direction--in which case I can't help you.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #24,503 of 29,490
Looks like I will be jogging/biking more often now.  Would my ears stay dry if I jogged with Grados on?  I don't own any open headphones, but I think that would be best to use for awareness.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #24,504 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Without an amp get the CAL!, unless you go in a basshead direction--in which case I can't help you.

Thank you for your response, do you know how durable they are? In the photos the cable looks pretty thin.

Not recommended for throwing in or yanking out of your back pack with a bunch of other stuff, especially things that are heavy.  They are fine if your are reasonably careful.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #24,505 of 29,490
Quote:
Looks like I will be jogging/biking more often now.  Would my ears stay dry if I jogged with Grados on?  I don't own any open headphones...

Not the full sized Grados.  You might want to check out the iGrados, which have the same drivers as the 60i.  That might work.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #24,506 of 29,490
I've researched a bit more and I'm back for advice on headphones. 

- Budget up to 200$

- decent soundstage for dolby headphone usage

- prefer closed but I'm okay with open headphones if they are better for the same price

- I like good bass and clean balanced sound, not too much boom but also not without boom if you get me :)

- not too hard to drive without an amp, will mostly be used with pc soundcard (still deciding which one to buy)

- usage: gaming, music (rock, club, classical)  (ordered by significance)

I can chose from these offers: http://ronis.hr/slusalice/34/    (6kn = 1$)

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #24,507 of 29,490
Quote:
No offense intended, but you say you don't like bright headphones.   In contradiction to this 3 of the 4 headphones on your list are bright.  The only one that isn't is the HD 650.

That is probably due to my inexperience with buying headphones. While I knew the M50's would have a brighter sound signature, I kept them as an option due to their reputation. The others were touted somewhere or another as having fuller mids and lows, which might not be the case if they are indeed bright. I will try to get back to you with some more models for consideration, but this has been very helpful to me so far. Thanks a bunch!

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #24,508 of 29,490

Music genres: Classic Rock - I also am a gamer
Price range: Less than 400.00 
Amped: Sounblaster ZXR
Closed/Open: Closed - more about me not hearing others than them hearing me - I am not completely rigid here and realize I have never heard open 
Headphone preference:  - I have ATH A700, looking for a step up from there
from looking around here I like the Ultrasone Pro 900, Alpha Mad Dogs, I also like the looks of the DT 880s.

I find the ATH A700 that I have now, fairly comfortable.  I have a big head.  My ears get hot and sweat after a while, I don't enjoy that.  
I have a small child that has caused these headphones to go flying off the desk.  They have survived that well. I plan on chaining my child to a wall after I get new phones but in case his mother sets him free, durability isn't a bad thing for me.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #24,509 of 29,490
Hi,

Music preferences: random most are not bass intense but I have Devin Martin music would like to get more feedback from bass without busting overall presence of instruments etc.

After: Open ear design
Why: during the day i want to listen to music but hear people around me
         dont care if i can hear pcs etc/doesnt matter if others can hear too.
         I currently have: A700X

After: balanced headphones with natural bass and a bit more bass than the A700X
          would like another headphone company though just prefer variety.
price: Around $200 - $280
Restrictions: International shipping avaliable please if you are able to readily grab that.

I did some grubbing into the Grado series but it seemed the price range sub-300 did not have sufficient ear-pads or so it seemed, dont know about exchanging/changing earpads never done it dont know whats involved.

Thanks

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #24,510 of 29,490
Hi!

Definitely someone new to buying a more expensive set of headphones. I'm looking to buy a new set of headphones and have a budget of around $100. (Yes, I know a really good pair could cost a lot more...but when I've only really used what has come with a product I have bought...this is a big step :) ) I listen to a lot of progressive rock...so I want to be able to hear the whole range of what is going on.  For the most part, I would be using them at home...but definitely want to take them on the road.  They will either be plugged into my iPod touch or home entertainment system.  From what I've read, the Sennheiser 230pros are supposed to be good bang for the buck...but would love to hear any other thoughts on headphones that would meet my needs.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back