++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 8, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #24,376 of 29,490
Quote:
Main source is iPhone 4S

Looking for something with:

Very good instrumental separation
Wide soundstage
High level of detail and depth
Extended sparkly treble and an overall bright sound signature
Mids can be slightly recessed but must be smooth
Bass must be present but great quantities are not required, I'm looking for tightness

MUST BE CLOSED CANS, not really a fan of on-ears though I do plan on purchasing a pair of ATH-ES700s soon.

~$100 budget for portable use on the bus to and from college. I've got a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7, several different IEMs including a pair of JVC FXD80s which I use on a daily basis, and just ordered a pair of Senn HD219s for $10.99 just for the hell of it.

I'm thinking maybe the Senn HD449s would work well?

You're not going to get all that for about $100--especially unamped and closed.  Maybe the closest thing to what you want is the Shure SRH 940, which needs an amp and is currently on sale for about as low as its ever been at $229.

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #24,377 of 29,490
You're not going to get all that for about $100--especially unamped and closed.  Maybe the closest thing to what you want is the Shure SRH 940, which needs an amp and is currently on sale for about as low as its ever been at $229.

Yeah i agree. Ive got a virtually new pair for sale in the trade section for $200.

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #24,378 of 29,490
Hello guys

Apologies if this is in the incorrect place, I'm looking for some advise regarding IE80's.

The problem I'm having is with fit of them, I just can't keep the wire over my ears, it always slips off. I have tried the ear hooks but cant get on with them they are a rubbish design.
I have previously had se215 & for a time Se535 so I appreciate a decent fit.

I am after a replacement cable that has memory cable at the earphone end, is there such on the market ?
Ive contacted a few of the sellers of replacement cables on eBay but they have stated they do not have the memory cable, does any one know if there is such on the market?
Or does anybody have any other soloution? Or does every one at sennheiser have huge ears and long hair ?!

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #24,379 of 29,490
I'm looking for a pair of full-sized <$50, since I'm on a budget. I prefer a more balanced sound signature, and it doesn't matter whether the cans are portable or not. Isolation means a lot to me so I would prefer circumaural ones. Can you give me some suggestions on what to buy? Thanks!

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #24,380 of 29,490
i have read a lot of pages about the q701 and hd 600/650
i am tired of reading and thinking so i am about to order one today.

should i get q701 or hd600

i just cant decide which one
i want a natural sounding phone without too much colourisation
it also has to be musical

my ears kept touching the driver of the dt880 so i had to send it back
it has too be very comfortable ( i have big ears, so i think q701 fits better but i  like
the looks of the cup style of sennheiser more,)

i want realiastic soundstage in wide en depth, quality bass (not quantity), i prefer quality low bass instead of midbass

i think i like the sound of akg more but i like the looks of hd600 more.

i listen to, rap/jazz/soul/instrumentals/latino music/classic/all kinds of music
mostly rap though and jazz

i will use it alot for ps3 gaming also. so i has to be comfortable coz i will be wearing it for hours for gaming (sometimes 4 / 5 hours straight)
i was also thinking bout he-400, but i quess its not very comfortable for  hours of gaming or am i wrong?
i was also wondering on which of these 3 hp this song sounds the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-za64oHPgQ

i can get hd600 and q701 for exactly the same price , i just dont know which one to order

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #24,381 of 29,490
Quote:

it has too be very comfortable ( i have big ears, so i think q701 fits better but i  like

i want realiastic soundstage in wide en depth, quality bass (not quantity), i prefer quality low bass instead of midbass

i listen to, rap/jazz/soul/instrumentals/latino music/classic/all kinds of music

i will use it alot for ps3 gaming also. so i has to be comfortable coz i will be wearing it for hours for gaming (sometimes 4 / 5 hours straight)
i was also thinking bout he-400, but i quess its not very comfortable for  hours of gaming or am i wrong?

i can get hd600 and q701 for exactly the same price , i just dont know which one to order

I think u cant go wrong with the 600. For your music I think the 600 would be a good choice (just imo). But the 650 would be even better!
didnt listen 2 the HE-400 yet.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #24,382 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of full-sized <$50, since I'm on a budget. I prefer a more balanced sound signature, and it doesn't matter whether the cans are portable or not. Isolation means a lot to me so I would prefer circumaural ones. Can you give me some suggestions on what to buy? Thanks!

Not all circumaural headphones isolate well and some supra-aural headphones do actually isolate quite well.

The best <$50 I've ever heard, by far, is the Beyerdynamic DT 235 but it is pretty much supra-aural. However, if you have small to medium sized ears they might be circumaural for you. They also don't isolate extremely well. Maybe checkout the Monoprice 8323 it is really great for the price. The only thing I don't like about them is their very narrow soundstage.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #24,383 of 29,490
Hi

this is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a while, a LOT of info here, and decided to create an account to ask a more custom question.

I want a pair of closed, over the head , headphones. The price should be ~100$, not much.
Until now the one that I want is Sennheiser HD-449 .

I've want to use it : on the go, at home (at night when I cannot listen to my speakers) and at office also .. but mostly will be for on the go listening (subway, street, train).

source: I have ordered a colorfly C3 , and also a ELE EL-D01 DAC for home use . I've read good reviews about both. Didn't listened to none.

What I want from the sound: clarity, soundstage, instruments separation and NOT too bassy.
I am listening to mostly classical, but also to movie soundtracks, voice music, jazz, blues, and some pop... etc... - audiophile recordings (like chesky)

What do you think, will the HD-449 will give me what I want? Will it be ok with the sources? I read that the sound is balanced and it has "a problem" with the bass, which sounds very good too me, because I hate the idea of subwoofer, too much bass for music and hip-hop music (no flame: just presented my preferences).

Would I need an AMP ? If yes which amp should I got it paired with, at budget?
Overall : what do you think? Should I consider other headphones? Ideas?

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #24,384 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys

Apologies if this is in the incorrect place, I'm looking for some advise regarding IE80's.

The problem I'm having is with fit of them, I just can't keep the wire over my ears, it always slips off. I have tried the ear hooks but cant get on with them they are a rubbish design.
I have previously had se215 & for a time Se535 so I appreciate a decent fit.

I am after a replacement cable that has memory cable at the earphone end, is there such on the market ?
Ive contacted a few of the sellers of replacement cables on eBay but they have stated they do not have the memory cable, does any one know if there is such on the market?
Or does anybody have any other soloution? Or does every one at sennheiser have huge ears and long hair ?!

Not even a full sized headphone question of any stripe.  You need to post in the section of the forum that pertains to EIM's.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #24,385 of 29,490
Quote:

Check the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #24,386 of 29,490
Quote:

Neither one is a perfect match. 

The Q 701 is generally considered to more comfortable but--as oft repeated on this thread--comfort is a very individual thing.  only putting each can on your head and leaving it there for a time equal to your longest listening session will give you a definitive answer on comfort.

You probably won't be satisfied with the bass of either choice.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #24,387 of 29,490
Sometime in the future I want an upgrade to my AKG K501. I'm really thinking of getting the Q701 due to the improvede bass and colour option, although the K701 pleases my eye very very much. Just the Q701 in lime is so gorgeous. I got the Nocs NS400 iem which isn't quite up to par sq wise to the 501 although awesome for its price. I love the isolation on certain occasions but I want full-size (open or sealed? I got glasses, don't know if the sealed ones will work fine? also looking for the K55X) phones for home use that are absolutely the best there is (for me) under 400€.

I want the headphones to have perfect sound. :D I listen to rock, classical, piano stuff, metal, anything. They also need to be good for gaming. I love clear, natural, revealing sound. Oomph in the bass, mids suited for vocals, piano and guitar and non-tiring highs. So what alternatives would there be for Q701?

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #24,388 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi

this is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a while, a LOT of info here, and decided to create an account to ask a more custom question.

I want a pair of closed, over the head , headphones. The price should be ~100$, not much.
Until now the one that I want is Sennheiser HD-449 .

I've want to use it : on the go, at home (at night when I cannot listen to my speakers) and at office also .. but mostly will be for on the go listening (subway, street, train).

source: I have ordered a colorfly C3 , and also a ELE EL-D01 DAC for home use . I've read good reviews about both. Didn't listened to none.

What I want from the sound: clarity, soundstage, instruments separation and NOT too bassy.
I am listening to mostly classical, but also to movie soundtracks, voice music, jazz, blues, and some pop... etc... - audiophile recordings (like chesky)

What do you think, will the HD-449 will give me what I want? Will it be ok with the sources? I read that the sound is balanced and it has "a problem" with the bass, which sounds very good too me, because I hate the idea of subwoofer, too much bass for music and hip-hop music (no flame: just presented my preferences).

Would I need an AMP ? If yes which amp should I got it paired with, at budget?
Overall : what do you think? Should I consider other headphones? Ideas?

Thanks!

Get the CAL! and realize that you are not going to get a great deal of sound stage from a $100-ish closed can.

Second choice: KRK KNS 6400.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #24,389 of 29,490
Quote:
Sometime in the future I want an upgrade to my AKG K501. I'm really thinking of getting the Q701 due to the improvede bass and colour option, although the K701 pleases my eye very very much. Just the Q701 in lime is so gorgeous. I got the Nocs NS400 iem which isn't quite up to par sq wise to the 501 although awesome for its price. I love the isolation on certain occasions but I want full-size (open or sealed? I got glasses, don't know if the sealed ones will work fine? also looking for the K55X) phones for home use that are absolutely the best there is (for me) under 400€.

I want the headphones to have perfect sound. :D I listen to rock, classical, piano stuff, metal, anything. They also need to be good for gaming. I love clear, natural, revealing sound. Oomph in the bass, mids suited for vocals, piano and guitar and non-tiring highs. So what alternatives would there be for Q701?

I doubt that the Q701 is for you, as it certainly does not offer "Oomph in the bass".

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Do you want a can that enhances bass beyond a touch or so above neutral?

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #24,390 of 29,490
Quote:
Get the CAL! and realize that you are not going to get a great deal of sound stage from a $100-ish closed can.

Second choice: KRK KNS 6400.

What CAL are you referring to?

Yeah... I know that the soundstage woun't be the best. For this I will still better use my room speakers. But for the go, I cannot raise my budget yet, and I just stated this to say this is my priority.

Thanks for the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back