++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #24,226 of 29,490
Quote:
The new Denon is generally viewed in low regard. 

yeah I read some reviews. but some seem to really like em. what do u think of the other choices? are there maybe some other options i haven't yet considered for my planed use (with metal music and as complementation to the hd 700)?

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #24,228 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm new around here and I'm looking for some headphones for somewhere around $200 or hopefully lower.
I am in college, and so looking for something that is closed, not open so I can use them in my noisy dorm with good sound isolation if I want to study or just listen to music without hearing everything around me or bothering my roommate.
I have a gift card to amazon, so I'd like to purchase from there.
I've done a bit of research, and I think that a headphone doesn't need a DAC or amp will be the best option, although I will definitely look into purchasing those at a later date.
Headphones I was considering:

Sennheiser HD 380 Pro $170. Also considering getting one that is Used-Like New for $120
I listened to my friends HD280 and liked it, so I was considering the HD380 Pro as a similar but improved headphone.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 $120
These seem to be highly regarded here so I am considering them.

AKG K167 TIESTO $150
Saw these recommended in another thread.

Philips CitiScape Uptown $90
Saw in the holiday gift guide.

Skullcandy Aviator $105
Not sure about the noise isolation on these, otherwise they look pretty good.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 $170 for the 250 ohm version
If I got the 250 ohm version, I would have to get an amp/DAC so unless the sound will be significantly better I don't really want to spend that much more money.

Comfort is important, along with looks. However I like the looks of all the above headphones so I'm not too picky. I want to listen to these for hours, and be comfortable so headphones with sound characteristics that could become irritating over longer listening periods aren't something I want. The headphones I currently have are some cheap Sony IEMs (Sony MDR-EX082LP), they aren't bad but they definitely get harsh over longer listening periods. I've been listening to my roommates Nokia Purity IEMs, and can definitely tell a huge difference, but I want even better sound. I have an ASUS laptop with audio by Bang & Olufsen so hopefully it won't be too limiting as a sound source. Some of my favorite bands are Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Guns N' Roses, MGMT, Broken Bells, The Cars, The Strokes, Adventure Club, and Aerosmith.

As far as sound signature goes, I'm looking for something that will complement the kind of music I like to listen to, with bass that will be there when I want it for more bass-heavy electronic music but won't overpower the midrange or treble in the rock I usually listen to. I'm really not sure how well I can describe the sound I'm looking for, but I love hearing detail & clarity in the music and I don't like it when one aspect of the sound signature seems to overpower the rest of the song compared to how I remember the song sounding (like if I'm playing around with an EQ and raising the bass/midrange/treble over the others).

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I edited my post with information on music and sound signature as per the request of KG Jag

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #24,229 of 29,490
Hello fellow Head-fiers!

If you can put it like this, which one of these two headphones, are the best(in terms of sound quilty, "coloring" of the music, highs, mids and lows, etc.).

thanks in advance, for all the help that i can get 
bigsmile_face.gif
 !

AKG K 550: 
http://us.akg.com/akg-k550-us/k-550.html .

Ultrasone HFI 780:
http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/hfi-780.html?phpMyAdmin=F%2C10wyDPvdbTSUKb0bFsP82LYqa&phpMyAdmin=-bRZSviO4b0rfbpf62n-9Lwy159 .

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #24,230 of 29,490
Closed Can with Sound sig similar to Westone 4

I've been reading (literally) hundreds of threads but I can't seem to find the right headphone yet, what made me decide to create an account and ask your advice. I apologize if it has been answered before.

What I am looking for is a closed headphone (over the ear) for use at home, that has the same sound sig as the Westone 4, maybe with better soundstage or detail.
My only source is an iPhone 4S, and the tracks are mostly apple lossless or 320kbps.

I listen classical 90% of the time, and the other 10% could be anything from led zeppelin, genesis, to the most shallow pop.
The Westone 4 shines in every genre to my ears, with great detail and texture even in tracks with many layers of sound (I.e. Bach's Brandenburg Concerto N.3 ).

I don't have a Dac or Amp yet. In my country (Argentina) not all the products are available.
If amps were required, I could only get a fiio e11 or e17, but I'd rather keep unamped if possible.

I also have a b&w p5 ( i don't like at all the muffled sound and excessive bass and lack of detail), and a Grado SR60 which I find not as good as the W4 in detail, fatiguing and sometimes excessively bright.

These are some of the closed headphones available here, I'm looking forward to know your opinions on these, as I'm new to audiophile so references in comparison to the W4 will be of great help:

Shure 840
Shure 940
Beyer t5p
Beyer dt250 (80 ohm)
Beyer dt1350
Ath m50
Akg k242
Akg 271

Thanks in advance for your advices,

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #24,231 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The new Denon is generally viewed in low regard. 

yeah I read some reviews. but some seem to really like em. what do u think of the other choices? are there maybe some other options i haven't yet considered for my planed use (with metal music and as complementation to the hd 700)?

I am not very familiar with the HD 700.

I don't think that any of the cans on your list sounds like the HD 650.

About all I can tell you is that the DT 880 is an excellent value on the "low" end of your budget and that the HE 500 is the best can on the list and a great value to boot.

Read about most of the cans you have referenced here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #24,232 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I'm new around here and I'm looking for some headphones for somewhere around $200 or hopefully lower.
I am in college, and so looking for something that is closed, not open so I can use them in my noisy dorm with good sound isolation if I want to study or just listen to music without hearing everything around me or bothering my roommate.
I have a gift card to amazon, so I'd like to purchase from there.
I've done a bit of research, and I think that a headphone doesn't need a DAC or amp will be the best option, although I will definitely look into purchasing those at a later date.
Headphones I was considering:

Sennheiser HD 380 Pro $170. Also considering getting one that is Used-Like New for $120
I listened to my friends HD280 and liked it, so I was considering the HD380 Pro as a similar but improved headphone.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 $120
These seem to be highly regarded here so I am considering them.

AKG K167 TIESTO $150
Saw these recommended in another thread.

Philips CitiScape Uptown $90
Saw in the holiday gift guide.

Skullcandy Aviator $105
Not sure about the noise isolation on these, otherwise they look pretty good.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 $170 for the 250 ohm version
If I got the 250 ohm version, I would have to get an amp/DAC so unless the sound will be significantly better I don't really want to spend that much more money.

Comfort is important, along with looks. However I like the looks of all the above headphones so I'm not too picky. I want to listen to these for hours, and be comfortable so headphones with sound characteristics that could become irritating over longer listening periods aren't something I want. The headphones I currently have are some cheap Sony IEMs (Sony MDR-EX082LP), they aren't bad but they definitely get harsh over longer listening periods. I've been listening to my roommates Nokia Purity IEMs, and can definitely tell a huge difference, but I want even better sound. I have an ASUS laptop with audio by Bang & Olufsen so hopefully it won't be too limiting as a sound source. Some of my favorite bands are Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Guns N' Roses, MGMT, Broken Bells, The Cars, The Strokes, Adventure Club, and Aerosmith.

As far as sound signature goes, I'm looking for something that will complement the kind of music I like to listen to, with bass that will be there when I want it for more bass-heavy electronic music but won't overpower the midrange or treble in the rock I usually listen to. I'm really not sure how well I can describe the sound I'm looking for, but I love hearing detail & clarity in the music and I don't like it when one aspect of the sound signature seems to overpower the rest of the song compared to how I remember the song sounding (like if I'm playing around with an EQ and raising the bass/midrange/treble over the others).

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I edited my post with information on music and sound signature as per the request of KG Jag

Can't say whether or not you will like their looks, but the Gemini DJ HSR-1000 is worth a look & listen.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #24,233 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello fellow Head-fiers!

If you can put it like this, which one of these two headphones, are the best(in terms of sound quilty, "coloring" of the music, highs, mids and lows, etc.).

thanks in advance, for all the help that i can get 
bigsmile_face.gif
 !

AKG K 550: 
http://us.akg.com/akg-k550-us/k-550.html .

Ultrasone HFI 780:
http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/hfi-780.html?phpMyAdmin=F%2C10wyDPvdbTSUKb0bFsP82LYqa&phpMyAdmin=-bRZSviO4b0rfbpf62n-9Lwy159 .

The K 550 is the better pick over the much less expensive HiFi 780, on condition that you can get a good seal with the K 550.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #24,234 of 29,490
Quote:
Closed Can with Sound sig similar to Westone 4

I've been reading (literally) hundreds of threads but I can't seem to find the right headphone yet, what made me decide to create an account and ask your advice. I apologize if it has been answered before.

What I am looking for is a closed headphone (over the ear) for use at home, that has the same sound sig as the Westone 4, maybe with better soundstage or detail.
My only source is an iPhone 4S, and the tracks are mostly apple lossless or 320kbps.

I listen classical 90% of the time, and the other 10% could be anything from led zeppelin, genesis, to the most shallow pop.
The Westone 4 shines in every genre to my ears, with great detail and texture even in tracks with many layers of sound (I.e. Bach's Brandenburg Concerto N.3 ).

I don't have a Dac or Amp yet. In my country (Argentina) not all the products are available.
If amps were required, I could only get a fiio e11 or e17, but I'd rather keep unamped if possible.

I also have a b&w p5 ( i don't like at all the muffled sound and excessive bass and lack of detail), and a Grado SR60 which I find not as good as the W4 in detail, fatiguing and sometimes excessively bright.

These are some of the closed headphones available here, I'm looking forward to know your opinions on these, as I'm new to audiophile so references in comparison to the W4 will be of great help:

Shure 840
Shure 940
Beyer t5p
Beyer dt250 (80 ohm)
Beyer dt1350
Ath m50
Akg k242
Akg 271

Thanks in advance for your advices,

Many of us on this section of the forum are not familiar with sound signature of the Wetstone 4.  You have to describe it for us.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #24,235 of 29,490
Quote:
The Shure SRH 840 is the best compromise for all uses from your list.  If you can get a good seal (beware: facial hair of any kind and glasses) the AKG K 550 is a good choice.

KG - thanks for the response.  I have done much reading on the k550s and am now leaning that direction.  I found very few dissatisfied owners and the couple people who ended up with a different choice state it was because they liked another set of headphones slightly better, not that there was something wrong with the k550s.  I do not have facial hair or wear glasses, so that helps.  I might stop by BB to check out a pair. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #24,237 of 29,490
Source: 24-96 flac and 320mp3 (for the less available stuff) via foobar2000
              Fiio E17

Genres: Metal- mainly melodeath, stuff like Opeth (kind of melodeath), Be'lakor, Insomnium, but also technical death metal like The Faceless, as well as various metal bands like Anaal Nathrakh. Rap- Almost solely Eminem and Hopsin. Classical- Beethoven, Beethoven, Beethoven

Can preference: Circumaural, preferably closed but open if fine too, comfort is a plus, but not a serious consideration. I have a pretty big head, long hair, and facial hair, which can make a difference with seals. I where glasses, but can compromise (I made due for the longest time with my current/previous headphones).

Preferred sound signature: I love the sound signature of my Ety hf3 and Superlux HD662f, so I would say reproductively accurate with a flat curve. I don't mind somewhat harsh highs, and love detail, but overall accuracy to the way things really sound is the biggest thing.

Price range: Cheaper the better. I don't like buying used, and would be willing to save for a while if it is worth it. Preferably under $200, but like I said, I can flex quite a bit if the pay off is present.

Current headphones: Superlux HD662f which developed a crackling in the right ear. I have put thousands of hours through them, and Superlux is not know for build quality, so it is what it is, as well as Ety hf3. Love them both.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #24,238 of 29,490
Quote:
Source: 24-96 flac and 320mp3 (for the less available stuff) via foobar2000
              Fiio E17

Genres: Metal- mainly melodeath, stuff like Opeth (kind of melodeath), Be'lakor, Insomnium, but also technical death metal like The Faceless, as well as various metal bands like Anaal Nathrakh. Rap- Almost solely Eminem and Hopsin. Classical- Beethoven, Beethoven, Beethoven

Can preference: Circumaural, preferably closed but open if fine too, comfort is a plus, but not a serious consideration. I have a pretty big head, long hair, and facial hair, which can make a difference with seals. I where glasses, but can compromise (I made due for the longest time with my current/previous headphones).

Preferred sound signature: I love the sound signature of my Ety hf3 and Superlux HD662f, so I would say reproductively accurate with a flat curve. I don't mind somewhat harsh highs, and love detail, but overall accuracy to the way things really sound is the biggest thing.

Price range: Cheaper the better. I don't like buying used, and would be willing to save for a while if it is worth it. Preferably under $200, but like I said, I can flex quite a bit if the pay off is present.

Current headphones: Superlux HD662f which developed a crackling in the right ear. I have put thousands of hours through them, and Superlux is not know for build quality, so it is what it is, as well as Ety hf3. Love them both.

Maybe Shure 940's as they are extremely detailed & neutral, although they are a bit shy in the bass department.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #24,239 of 29,490
Many of us on this section of the forum are not familiar with sound signature of the Wetstone 4.  You have to describe it for us.

I will describe it with the words of DavidMalher in his review of the Westone 4:

TONAL BALANCE: The Westone 4's tonality is just a bit warmer than neutral. However, its tonal balance manages to get fairly close to the neutral mark.

BASS: When comparing the Westone 4's bass presentation to that of the Westone 3 and the UM3X, the Westone 4's sounds flatter and better controlled. The Westone 3's bass presentation features a significant mid-bass hump. In comparison, the Westone 4's bass presentation is leaner, but with superior extension.

MIDS: I find that the midrange presentation here is fairly flat, yet with a bloomy quality that gives it a lush presentation.

GENRE MASTER: I think the Westone 4 could be described as a jack of all trades. It handles every genre well, especially classical. If I listened primarily to rock music then I would probably opt for the Westone 3 instead; if I listened primarily to jazz then I would probably go with the UM3X.

IMAGING: I think that the Westone 4 images quite well. While its ability to precisely render the placement of instruments does not quite measure up to that of the UE10 Pro, it probably possesses most spatial acuity of all the universal-fit IEMs that I've tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back