++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 4, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #24,213 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,
I've had hd 202 for quite some years and now as they have degraded I am looking for new ones.
I am considering a price around 50 EUR and so far I found HD 419 and AKG K514 MK2.  Some people also suggested Creative Aurvana Live but that one cannot be found any more.

I only use them in my house, mostly for rock music and they will be connected to AV receiver Yamaha v473 and PC ASUS Xonar. So I don't mind if the headphones are open or semi open, I would like them to be comfortable, without much pressure on the ear and I would expect an improvement over hd202 I had. I generally listen to high volume.

What would be your recommendations between the 2, or either model I should be considering?

Quote:
In the U.S. the semi-open AKG K 240 Studio would fall within your budget.  Too bad you can't find a CAL!

AKG K240 is more then 100 EUR in my country, it would be in the same price range as HD518, above my budget.
Although a little hard to get, should I also consider Grado SR60i? It's about 20 EUR more, would it be better then those 2?

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #24,214 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Do you plan to use an amp?

In case you aren't aware, soundstage = gaming use will suffer by limiting your choices to closed cans--perhaps more so without an amp (depending on your local prices).

I was planning on using it with my computer (Oops, my newbieness shows)
confused_face_2.gif

I have an amp I use with my turntable?

It appears that you will amping them (probably through some kind of receiver) only part of the time.  You might want to check out the KRK KNS 8400--or if they are too much the 6400.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #24,215 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,
I've had hd 202 for quite some years and now as they have degraded I am looking for new ones.
I am considering a price around 50 EUR and so far I found HD 419 and AKG K514 MK2.  Some people also suggested Creative Aurvana Live but that one cannot be found any more.

I only use them in my house, mostly for rock music and they will be connected to AV receiver Yamaha v473 and PC ASUS Xonar. So I don't mind if the headphones are open or semi open, I would like them to be comfortable, without much pressure on the ear and I would expect an improvement over hd202 I had. I generally listen to high volume.

What would be your recommendations between the 2, or either model I should be considering?

Quote:
In the U.S. the semi-open AKG K 240 Studio would fall within your budget.  Too bad you can't find a CAL!

AKG K240 is more then 100 EUR in my country, it would be in the same price range as HD518, above my budget.
Although a little hard to get, should I also consider Grado SR60i? It's about 20 EUR more, would it be better then those 2?

The entry level Grado is a nice little rock can and is very efficient.  Be aware that some find its comfort to be wanting.

You might also check out the Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #24,216 of 29,490
Wondering whats the differnce between these 3 headphones, Audio Technica ATH-T500,  Audio Technica ATH-M35,  Audio Technica ATH-M40fs . These 3 are 60-70$ with shipping for me, i think they are prolly best bang for buck? but which one i should get.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #24,217 of 29,490
Hello and help.

As many others have experienced, after doing extensive research into which set of full-size closed headphones to buy, my head is spinning and I still do not have an answer.  Here is my situation.

My wife, who works nights as I do, will be switching to a day shift within a week and will thus be going to bed much earlier than me.  The room with our desktop computer is next our master bedroom and I will be playing a lot of FPS PC games after she goes to sleep.  As a result, I would like to purchase a pair of full-size closed headphones.

I would say that the FPS gaming would probably be about 90% of the use of these headphones and music listening while traveling the other 10%.  The problem on the music end is my two favorite music genres are classical and dubstep/techno.

My budget could go as high as $300 for the headphones and maybe an additional $50 to $100 for an amp if needed.  I am currently running a Creative X-Fi Titanium sound card in my PC.

The cans that have risen to the top of the list seem to be all the standards:  the Shure 840 or 940, V-MODA M100, AT M50, and DT770.  It seems as if I finally convince myself that I am going to go with a certain set when I suddenly read something to make me question my decision. 

Any recommendations from the experts for my specific situation would be appreciated and thanks!

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #24,218 of 29,490
Hi - I've been reading reviews on here for the past two months, and while I've learned a lot, I'm actually a bit overwhelmed by the choices available - and not always sure what some of the more technical descriptions in the reviews really mean. So I'd love to get some advice for my specific situation:

I am a classical musician who works in opera.  My work involves listening to a lot of classical recordings, ranging from impeccable studio recordings, to historical live recordings remastered on cd, to live recordings made by contemporary composers works hoping new works. As such, the quality of the source material varies.

I usually listen from my iMac in the office, so portability is not a huge issue, but I would like the headphones I get to be able to be powered sufficiently from my iPad or iPod while traveling. Getting a small amp is not out of the question if necessary, though it would be nice not to have to deal with that.

95% of what I listen to is classical music, mostly opera. Recently I had to borrow a pair of beats from a colleague and the experience was almost painful, and very fatiguing. I know I need something that is really made for classical music.

Having a clear, well defined soundstage, where separation of the instruments and the special relationship between voices in well made recordings is a high priority for me. that being said, I need closed headphones because I will use them in my office, on planes etc. 

Really faithful vocal reproduction - capturing the true timbre of voices - is also crucial, and obviously I'd like something that is faithful to instrumental timbres as well.

Ideally, I'd prefer not to spend more than $500 (US), though if it is really going tho make a significant difference, I will consider spending more.

One last thing - I'm pretty sure ill be happier with circumaural headphones, provided they really fit comfortably over my ears. I have big ears that stick out a bit! I find that headphones that sit on my ears tend to exert uncomfortable pressure - and I will wear these for hours at a time.

I look forward to your feedback and suggestions - and thank you in advance!

I have both the Shure 940's and Soundmagic HP100's that were recommended. The Shure's are extremely detailed and neutral and quite revealing ti the point where it's not worth listening to anything recorded poorly or in poor quality format as it shows all the weaknesses and can get quite fatiguing. They have great soundstage though and good instrument seperation.

However the HP100s are ob the slightly warmer side of neutral and probably have a more natural timbre and bit more bass emphasis. Their soundstage isnt as wide as the Shure's but their sound signature isnt at all fatiguing and is really well presented and smooth with good detail.

Hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #24,219 of 29,490
Hi! 
I am looking for new headphones, since i don't like my Beyerd.DT231Pro anymore (they lack a lot of comfort).

Price: Below 100€ [~120 USD]
Required specifications: Closed, circumaural, comfortable to wear for a couple of hours.
Bonus: Detachable cable (My DT231 had a broken cable 2 times), foldable

Music: I mostly listen to music via my notebook and Technics amplifier, but they should sound fine using only a MP3Player as well.
The sound should be clear and distinguished (to get the most out of Pink Floyd), as well as being able to blast some nice and smooth bass sounds (DrumnBass, Trance).

What i stumbled upon so far:
Ultrasone Pro-450
Creative Aurvana Live
Sony MDR V6
Denon AHD1100

Please tell me if you have experience with those models, or even more recomendations :) Thanks!

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #24,220 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys I was wondering which of the following would be a good addition to my Sennheiser HD 700s. Should be mostly for "aggressive" music while gaming (metal etc.). with some bass and somehow similar to the sennheiser hd 650 but still something new 
happy_face1.gif

Deneon Ah-d 7100

Denon Ah-d 600

Hifiman HE-500

Ultrasone Edition 8

Beyerdynamic DT 880

Anyone anything?

Do you think the Denon ah-d 600 would be a good choice? I'm really thinking about getting these becaue I read they are almost the same as the ah- 7100. Has anyone tried both of these?
thx in advance

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #24,221 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi! 
I am looking for new headphones, since i don't like my Beyerd.DT231Pro anymore (they lack a lot of comfort).

Price: Below 100€ [~120 USD]
Required specifications: Closed, circumaural, comfortable to wear for a couple of hours.
Bonus: Detachable cable (My DT231 had a broken cable 2 times), foldable

Music: I mostly listen to music via my notebook and Technics amplifier, but they should sound fine using only a MP3Player as well.
The sound should be clear and distinguished (to get the most out of Pink Floyd), as well as being able to blast some nice and smooth bass sounds (DrumnBass, Trance).

What i stumbled upon so far:
Ultrasone Pro-450
Creative Aurvana Live
Sony MDR V6
Denon AHD1100

Please tell me if you have experience with those models, or even more recomendations :) Thanks!

I had the the denons a while ago. liked the sound signature very much but they made an anoying sound everytime i moved my head just a little so i didnt keep them.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #24,222 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys I was wondering which of the following would be a good addition to my Sennheiser HD 700s. Should be mostly for "aggressive" music while gaming (metal etc.). with some bass and somehow similar to the sennheiser hd 650 but still something new 
happy_face1.gif

Deneon Ah-d 7100

Denon Ah-d 600

Hifiman HE-500

Ultrasone Edition 8

Beyerdynamic DT 880

Quote:
Anyone anything?

Do you think the Denon ah-d 600 would be a good choice? I'm really thinking about getting these becaue I read they are almost the same as the ah- 7100. Has anyone tried both of these?
thx in advance

I've only heard the HE-500 and Edition 8s on your list (and the predecessors to the Denons).  HE500 were very very nice but I wouldn't describe them as aggressive.  Edition 8s are very forward and exciting with many kinds of music, but I think you can do much better for the price with an open headphone.  For example RS-1 are as enjoyable and aggressive as the ED8 imo, and have a slightly more natural presentation (but worse positioning) for half the price.  From what I've read the DT880s could be a good match as well but I haven't heard those.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #24,223 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello and help.

As many others have experienced, after doing extensive research into which set of full-size closed headphones to buy, my head is spinning and I still do not have an answer.  Here is my situation.

My wife, who works nights as I do, will be switching to a day shift within a week and will thus be going to bed much earlier than me.  The room with our desktop computer is next our master bedroom and I will be playing a lot of FPS PC games after she goes to sleep.  As a result, I would like to purchase a pair of full-size closed headphones.

I would say that the FPS gaming would probably be about 90% of the use of these headphones and music listening while traveling the other 10%.  The problem on the music end is my two favorite music genres are classical and dubstep/techno.

My budget could go as high as $300 for the headphones and maybe an additional $50 to $100 for an amp if needed.  I am currently running a Creative X-Fi Titanium sound card in my PC.

The cans that have risen to the top of the list seem to be all the standards:  the Shure 840 or 940, V-MODA M100, AT M50, and DT770.  It seems as if I finally convince myself that I am going to go with a certain set when I suddenly read something to make me question my decision. 

Any recommendations from the experts for my specific situation would be appreciated and thanks!

The Shure SRH 840 is the best compromise for all uses from your list.  If you can get a good seal (beware: facial hair of any kind and glasses) the AKG K 550 is a good choice.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #24,224 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
happy_face1.gif

Deneon Ah-d 7100

Denon Ah-d 600

Hifiman HE-500

Ultrasone Edition 8

Beyerdynamic DT 880

Anyone anything?

thx in advance

The new Denon is generally viewed in low regard. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #24,225 of 29,490
Quote:

I've only heard the HE-500 and Edition 8s on your list (and the predecessors to the Denons).  HE500 were very very nice but I wouldn't describe them as aggressive.  Edition 8s are very forward and exciting with many kinds of music, but I think you can do much better for the price with an open headphone.  For example RS-1 are as enjoyable and aggressive as the ED8 imo, and have a slightly more natural presentation (but worse positioning) for half the price.  From what I've read the DT880s could be a good match as well but I haven't heard those.

OK Thanks that was quite helpful. unfortunately I cant get grade cans where I live 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back