++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #24,196 of 29,490
Quote:
Good afternoon, gentlemen!

My lovely girlfriend recently bought me a pair of ATH-M50's (my first entry into decent headphones.) Do you have any suggestions on what to pair with it as far as maybe a DAC or Amp goes? I'm listening to primarily hip-hop through my computer, with no need for anything portable.

Let me know if this question would be better posted in another thread. Thanks!

Hope you get an answer, but this question is best posted on the M-50 appreciation thread or on one of the amp sections of the forum.

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #24,197 of 29,490
Quote:

Sound: mid-centric signature for vocals but with a nice punchy bass that does not bleed to the mids and rolled highs because I'm too sensitive to high frequencies(a darker presentation would do). and as much spaciousness and depth as possible with those other characteristics.
Type of cans: full size, I do prefer open cans but I think they'll have to be closed or semi-closed(ported) to be able to use them outside(I want to get a FiiO X3)
construction: don't really care the weight or the size just that they have detachable or at least easily replaceable cables and are not fragile I love my M-80's for their construction although I'm aware I might not find the same thoughness on other cans.
budget: no more than $500

so far the ones that got my attention are the HE-300 and HE-400.

Quote:

For excellent mid centric cans, put about $100 or more toward an amp and get the closed Sony MDR-7520, open box Beyerdynamic T 70 P or Sony Mdr-cd900st.  For closed cans, the HE 400, Senn HD 600 or 650.

I'm guessing these are typos, but HE300, HE400, HD600 & HD650 are all open headphones.  Can't think of anything closed that has punchy bass, gentle highs and great soundstage, sorry.  SRH840 come close but they don't sound spacious at all.  Most closed headphones with strong bass also have rather pronounced treble (DT770, D5000, D7000 Edition 8) and many good ones are a little bass-shy (DT250, K271, SRH940).  HD600 would fit the signature but are open.  In your shoes I'd get those and some cheap but decent iems for going outdoors.

edit: people say that K550 and modded T50RP have these characteristics but I haven't heard them.

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #24,198 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello there peoples of head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a complete newbie at headphone shopping. I've never cared too much about which I had, because It's never really been a problem using my speakers. The few times I've needed headphones, I've survived with the fantastic iPhone in-ears. Yep.
Now I feel, that it's tiem to upgrade. Seriously upgrade. I know nothing about all the technical stuff behind, so I'd appreciate help ALOT.
Here's what I need:

Use: I'm going to primarily use these for gaming and music. Which is probably why I'm in so much doubt about what to choose - should I go for a great gaming headset and compromise music, or the other way around? Sometimes, I'll also use them for a movie or two.
"Demands: I'm not at all very demanding of the headphones. I've been used to in-ears for years now - it shouldn't be hard to find a better upgrade. My biggest demand will be for them to be comfortable to wear.
Price range: I don't have millions to move around with. I'd say my maximum price lies about 115£ or 183 USD.
Musical genres: Rock. I listen to Muse, Coldplay, Metallica and AC/DC the most.
Gaming: I play strategic games like Battle for Middle Earth and Warcraft or horror games like Amnesia and Slender. I need the good headphones especially for the latter.
Open/closed: Closed! I'm getting these specifically to not force others to listen to my games and music.
Portability and size: I'll play mostly at home in front of the PC, but it'd be great to be able to have them with me once in a while. The size isn't important for me, though I'd like them to be big enough to be comfortable to wear, and small enough to not be a pain in the beep.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you plan to use an amp?

In case you aren't aware, soundstage = gaming use will suffer by limiting your choices to closed cans--perhaps more so without an amp (depending on your local prices).

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #24,199 of 29,490
Hello there peoples of head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

QUESTION: SENNHEISER MOMENTUM versus LOGITECH UE6000 (or any other suggestions)

Audiophile newb. I own a Razer Carcharias, ATH M30, HD202, Triton PS3 headset. I need a replacement for my Bose QC15s as i stupidly left it on the bus last week.

Use: Listen to music while on the bus, walking to work,
Wants: Comfortable, decent quality, works without an amp (iphone, ipad)
Price range: Below $400 (live in Canada)
Musical genres: Movie OST (hans zimmer, LoTR), Anime OST, Game OST
Open/closed: idk. i used it as a hat to keep my ears warm in the winter as well
Portability and size: Must be very portable, for use when outside walking around. Would be nice to have NC

I just bought a pair of sennheiser momentums, but i find that it lacks..oomph. i mean..its clearer, but.. anyways, im considering returning the momentums unless someone can convince me that i should stick with it

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #24,200 of 29,490
   Hi all, newb here. Been lurking for 6 or 7 years but just signed up a few weeks ago. My wallet has already felt the sting of this amazing hobby, love it. But back on topic, I'm lookin for a new set of full sized cans. I've got the v moda lps, dt770 and 990 250 ohm just to name a few, these are my "higher end" cans. I've read everything til my eyes are crossed but was wondering if anyone knows if the m 100 is an upgrade over my 770s. I love my beyers, sooo comfy. I'm a bit of a basshead but I listen to everything. Trying to stay under $400 bones. I have a fiio e11, fournier hta 2 and a bravo v2 to power. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #24,202 of 29,490
I've always been an IEM guy, but I have some interest in trying some full size cans out for home use. One thing holding me back is the need for a better source, I've always thought.

Sound leakage is not important. Budget is ~$400. Would be primarily using them from an ASUS laptop with 320 mp3 and some FLAC. Assuming I need some kind of DAC/AMP possibly, which would make a $400 budget not so good for the headphone and that..

I listen primarily to kpop/cpop and some EDM. Warm/laid back with smooth vocals is good. Nothing fatiguing. Up front mids is good too.

For people who know IEMS, I loved the IE8 and like the SM3v2. RE262 was also good. Some full sized I owned are the HD25 and Grado SR60 - didn't like either a whole lot.

Assuming I'd love the HD650 but buying that new and a decent amp for $400 isn't gonna happen I'd reckon.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #24,203 of 29,490
I'm new around here and I'm looking for some headphones for somewhere around $200 or hopefully lower.
I am in college, and so looking for something that is closed, not open so I can use them in my noisy dorm with good sound isolation if I want to study or just listen to music without hearing everything around me or bothering my roommate.
I have a gift card to amazon, so I'd like to purchase from there.
I've done a bit of research, and I think that a headphone doesn't need a DAC or amp will be the best option, although I will definitely look into purchasing those at a later date.
Headphones I was considering:

Sennheiser HD 380 Pro $170. Also considering getting one that is Used-Like New for $120
I listened to my friends HD280 and liked it, so I was considering the HD380 Pro as a similar but improved headphone.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 $120
These seem to be highly regarded here so I am considering them.

AKG K167 TIESTO $150
Saw these recommended in another thread.

Philips CitiScape Uptown $90
Saw in the holiday gift guide.

Skullcandy Aviator $105
Not sure about the noise isolation on these, otherwise they look pretty good.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 $170 for the 250 ohm version
If I got the 250 ohm version, I would have to get an amp/DAC so unless the sound will be significantly better I don't really want to spend that much more money.

Comfort is important, along with looks. However I like the looks of all the above headphones so I'm not too picky. I want to listen to these for hours, and be comfortable so headphones with sound characteristics that could become irritating over longer listening periods aren't something I want. The headphones I currently have are some cheap Sony IEMs (Sony MDR-EX082LP), they aren't bad but they definitely get harsh over longer listening periods. I've been listening to my roommates Nokia Purity IEMs, and can definitely tell a huge difference, but I want even better sound. I have an ASUS laptop with audio by Bang & Olufsen so hopefully it won't be too limiting as a sound source. Some of my favorite bands are Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Guns N' Roses, MGMT, Broken Bells, The Cars, The Strokes, Adventure Club, and Aerosmith.

As far as sound signature goes, I'm looking for something that will complement the kind of music I like to listen to, with bass that will be there when I want it for more bass-heavy electronic music but won't overpower the midrange or treble in the rock I usually listen to. I'm really not sure how well I can describe the sound I'm looking for, but I love hearing detail & clarity in the music and I don't like it when one aspect of the sound signature seems to overpower the rest of the song compared to how I remember the song sounding (like if I'm playing around with an EQ and raising the bass/midrange/treble over the others).

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #24,204 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm new around here and I'm looking for some headphones for somewhere around $200 or hopefully lower.
I am in college, and so looking for something that is closed, not open so I can use them in my noisy dorm with good sound isolation if I want to study or just listen to music without hearing everything around me or bothering my roommate.
I have a gift card to amazon, so I'd like to purchase from there.
I've done a bit of research, and I think that a headphone doesn't need a DAC or amp will be the best option, although I will definitely look into purchasing those at a later date.
Headphones I was considering:

Sennheiser HD 380 Pro $170. Also considering getting one that is Used-Like New for $120
I listened to my friends HD280 and liked it, so I was considering the HD380 Pro as a similar but improved headphone.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 $120
These seem to be highly regarded here so I am considering them.

AKG K167 TIESTO $150
Saw these recommended in another thread.

Philips CitiScape Uptown $90
Saw in the holiday gift guide.

Skullcandy Aviator $105
Not sure about the noise isolation on these, otherwise they look pretty good.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 $170 for the 250 ohm version
If I got the 250 ohm version, I would have to get an amp/DAC so unless the sound will be significantly better I don't really want to spend that much more money.

Comfort is important, along with looks. However I like the looks of all the above headphones so I'm not too picky. I want to listen to these for hours, and be comfortable.
Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

We need to know the sound signature that you are seeking.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #24,206 of 29,490
Hi - I've been reading reviews on here for the past two months, and while I've learned a lot, I'm actually a bit overwhelmed by the choices available - and not always sure what some of the more technical descriptions in the reviews really mean. So I'd love to get some advice for my specific situation:

I am a classical musician who works in opera.  My work involves listening to a lot of classical recordings, ranging from impeccable studio recordings, to historical live recordings remastered on cd, to live recordings made by contemporary composers works hoping new works. As such, the quality of the source material varies.

I usually listen from my iMac in the office, so portability is not a huge issue, but I would like the headphones I get to be able to be powered sufficiently from my iPad or iPod while traveling. Getting a small amp is not out of the question if necessary, though it would be nice not to have to deal with that.

95% of what I listen to is classical music, mostly opera. Recently I had to borrow a pair of beats from a colleague and the experience was almost painful, and very fatiguing. I know I need something that is really made for classical music.

Having a clear, well defined soundstage, where separation of the instruments and the special relationship between voices in well made recordings is a high priority for me. that being said, I need closed headphones because I will use them in my office, on planes etc. 

Really faithful vocal reproduction - capturing the true timbre of voices - is also crucial, and obviously I'd like something that is faithful to instrumental timbres as well.

Ideally, I'd prefer not to spend more than $500 (US), though if it is really going tho make a significant difference, I will consider spending more.

One last thing - I'm pretty sure ill be happier with circumaural headphones, provided they really fit comfortably over my ears. I have big ears that stick out a bit! I find that headphones that sit on my ears tend to exert uncomfortable pressure - and I will wear these for hours at a time.

I look forward to your feedback and suggestions - and thank you in advance!

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #24,207 of 29,490
Quote:
Since my musical tastes are 60% orchestrals/ classical, 25% Rock, 10% Hip-hop, and 5% oldies, and my budget is anywhere around $300- $400, I'd probably be stuck between semi-closed or sealed back cans because I'll be powering them with my cellphone (samsung galaxy s3). I'll be purchasing an amp down the road but not at the moment. The music formats are mostly 320kbps mp3 and flac. As for soudn signature, I'm just looking for non-fatiguing highs and luscious mids, maybe a splash of bass but nothing overwhelming.
The V-Moda M-100 is a good can for a basshead lite.  It is not so good for orchestral/classical music.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

"Until you get an amp, look to the Audio Technica ATH-ES10, Beyer DT 1350 or Senn Amperior."

Would the Sennheiser Momentum do me any good?

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #24,208 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Since my musical tastes are 60% orchestrals/ classical, 25% Rock, 10% Hip-hop, and 5% oldies, and my budget is anywhere around $300- $400, I'd probably be stuck between semi-closed or sealed back cans because I'll be powering them with my cellphone (samsung galaxy s3). I'll be purchasing an amp down the road but not at the moment. The music formats are mostly 320kbps mp3 and flac. As for soudn signature, I'm just looking for non-fatiguing highs and luscious mids, maybe a splash of bass but nothing overwhelming.
The V-Moda M-100 is a good can for a basshead lite.  It is not so good for orchestral/classical music.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

"Until you get an amp, look to the Audio Technica ATH-ES10, Beyer DT 1350 or Senn Amperior."

Would the Sennheiser Momentum do me any good?

Too much bass for your top 60%.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #24,209 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi - I've been reading reviews on here for the past two months, and while I've learned a lot, I'm actually a bit overwhelmed by the choices available - and not always sure what some of the more technical descriptions in the reviews really mean. So I'd love to get some advice for my specific situation:

I am a classical musician who works in opera.  My work involves listening to a lot of classical recordings, ranging from impeccable studio recordings, to historical live recordings remastered on cd, to live recordings made by contemporary composers works hoping new works. As such, the quality of the source material varies.

I usually listen from my iMac in the office, so portability is not a huge issue, but I would like the headphones I get to be able to be powered sufficiently from my iPad or iPod while traveling. Getting a small amp is not out of the question if necessary, though it would be nice not to have to deal with that.

95% of what I listen to is classical music, mostly opera. Recently I had to borrow a pair of beats from a colleague and the experience was almost painful, and very fatiguing. I know I need something that is really made for classical music.

Having a clear, well defined soundstage, where separation of the instruments and the special relationship between voices in well made recordings is a high priority for me. that being said, I need closed headphones because I will use them in my office, on planes etc. 

Really faithful vocal reproduction - capturing the true timbre of voices - is also crucial, and obviously I'd like something that is faithful to instrumental timbres as well.

Ideally, I'd prefer not to spend more than $500 (US), though if it is really going tho make a significant difference, I will consider spending more.

One last thing - I'm pretty sure ill be happier with circumaural headphones, provided they really fit comfortably over my ears. I have big ears that stick out a bit! I find that headphones that sit on my ears tend to exert uncomfortable pressure - and I will wear these for hours at a time.

Beyerdynamic DT660 and Soundmagic HP100 are two closed headphones recommended for classical. If you were okay with open or semi-open headphones, you have a lot more options- e.g. AKG K701/Q701s are fantastic for classical.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #24,210 of 29,490
Quote:

That's a very tough assignment--especially when limited to closed and no amp.

What I can recommend is that you get an amp.

Beyond that I can recommend that you check out three things.  The first two are cans that need that amp.  They are the Shure SRH 940 (on the low end of your budget) and the AudioTechnica ATH-W1000X (priced near the top of it).  Third, I suggest that you read this article--at least as it pertains to closed cans within (or at least close to) your budget:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back