++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #24,181 of 29,490
Since my musical tastes are 60% orchestrals/ classical, 25% Rock, 10% Hip-hop, and 5% oldies, and my budget is anywhere around $300- $400, I'd probably be stuck between semi-closed or sealed back cans because I'll be powering them with my cellphone (samsung galaxy s3). I'll be purchasing an amp down the road but not at the moment. The music formats are mostly 320kbps mp3 and flac. As for soudn signature, I'm just looking for non-fatiguing highs and luscious mids, maybe a splash of bass but nothing overwhelming.
Quote:
The V-Moda M-100 is a good can for a basshead lite.  It is not so good for orchestral/classical music.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #24,182 of 29,490
Hi all,
I've had hd 202 for quite some years and now as they have degraded I am looking for new ones.
I am considering a price around 50 EUR and so far I found HD 419 and AKG K514 MK2.  Some people also suggested Creative Aurvana Live but that one cannot be found any more.

I only use them in my house, mostly for rock music and they will be connected to AV receiver Yamaha v473 and PC ASUS Xonar. So I don't mind if the headphones are open or semi open, I would like them to be comfortable, without much pressure on the ear and I would expect an improvement over hd202 I had. I generally listen to high volume.

What would be your recommendations between the 2, or either model I should be considering?

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #24,183 of 29,490
Quote:
I've heard from an elder that the Sony's are timeless, but he hasn't told me f they need an amp.
So the Ultrasone will sound weak if I rely on the iPhone's amp?
And the Shure 840 need an amp too? So from what I understood, the SRH440's don't sound good regardless if I use an amp or not?

Ok, so now I'll have to narrow down my search to full size circumaural cans that don't require an amp. Of course, while considering all previous preferences.

Nevermind, I feel dumb for not doing my research.
The SRH440's also need an amp because they are above the iPhone 4's amp rating.
Since I won't be using an amp, I can forget about the Shure SRH440 and the Ultrasone HFI-2400.
Therefore, last perfect option that really respects all my criteria so far is the Sony MDR-CD2000.
I guess I'll wait a week before buying these cans and see if anybody can hit me with some feedback on some other
similar cans that might hopefully be cheaper since the Sony's are expensive and very old and outdated.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #24,184 of 29,490
Quote:
Since I won't be using an amp, I can forget about the Shure SRH440 and the Ultrasone HFI-2400.
Therefore, last perfect option that really respects all my criteria so far is the Sony MDR-CD2000.
I guess I'll wait a week before buying these cans and see if anybody can hit me with some feedback on some other
similar cans that might hopefully be cheaper since the Sony's are expensive and very old and outdated.

Where do you see these "amp rating", are you talking about sensitivity?

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #24,185 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Source: 24-96 flac via foobar2000
              Fiio E17 + E09K

Genres: Classic Rock (lots of acoustic, like CSN, Neil Young, etc.), Classic Jazz (not exactly classic jazz, but I love Steely Dan),  some Classical, but mostly jazz and rock.

Can preference: Circumaural, closed, absolutely comfortable for long listening sessions, hopefully something that folds and comes with a   case for transport to work in a backpack

Preferred sound signature: Fairly neutral, I do like detail (but detest sibilance), a spacious soundstage (harder to achieve w/closed), lush vocals, tight/punchy bass that doesn't bleed. Overall, something very non-fatiguing if possible.

Price range: Maximum of $350, used are definitely an option for me.

Current headphones: Koss DJ100. I like them, but I want more - I want to be blown away, and I think it's possible coming from these entry-level cans.

Try the Audio Technica ES-10

Agreed--+1.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #24,186 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The Sony is approaching 15 years old.  You will be hard pressed to find very many people who have heard it. 

The Ultrasone needs an amp and is much more expensive than the Shure.  The better 840 and much better 940 (which also needs an amp) are closer in price to the 2400.

Your picks appear to be all over the map.

I've heard from an elder that the Sony's are timeless, but he hasn't told me f they need an amp.
And the Shure 840 need an amp too? So from what I understood, the SRH440's don't sound good regardless if I use an amp or not?

Ok, so now I'll have to narrow down my search to full size circumaural cans that don't require an amp. Of course, while considering all previous preferences.

The 2400 and 940 need an amp beyond your iPhone.

The 840 will work well enough (except it won't reach high volume) from an iPhone--better with an amp.

Check the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  Once there, look for cans rated "1".  Some rated "2" will work but its hit or miss depending on your equipment.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #24,187 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The 440 works fine right out of my iPhone 4. 

Check the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  Once there, look for cans rated "1", which accurately includes the 440.  Some rated "2" will work but it's hit or miss depending on your equipment.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #24,189 of 29,490
Quote:
Lol.. I created a new thread.. but I realized there are such thread here.. um.. just wanna ask that are there any overear headphones that cost around $200? (on-ear should be alright)

Primary usage of the headphone will be for listening to music and gaming(fps and LoL)
might be bringing it to school to listen to music during my Free period. 

Thank you!! 
(Newbie here... dont know the rules yet)

Not especially portable, but otherwise the KAM HP-1 may be your best match.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #24,190 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading my headphones. I currently have HD555(barely use them anymore mainly because of the long cable) and M-80 (my current go to can because of portability, short cable and the bass sorta gives me energy to do my chores)

so in essence I'm looking for a higher quality headphone that sort of merges and upgrades the characteristics of my current headphones both construction and sound signature wise. so I can give away my current gear to some family members.

Sound: mid-centric signature for vocals but with a nice punchy bass that does not bleed to the mids and rolled highs because I'm too sensitive to high frequencies(a darker presentation would do). and as much spaciousness and depth as possible with those other characteristics.
Type of cans: full size, I do prefer open cans but I think they'll have to be closed or semi-closed(ported) to be able to use them outside(I want to get a FiiO X3)
construction: don't really care the weight or the size just that they have detachable or at least easily replaceable cables and are not fragile I love my M-80's for their construction although I'm aware I might not find the same thoughness on other cans.
budget: no more than $500

so far the ones that got my attention are the HE-300 and HE-400. 

A sub $10 amp is not a good base for powering quality headphones.

For excellent mid centric cans, put about $100 or more toward an amp and get the closed Sony MDR-7520, open box Beyerdynamic T 70 P or Sony Mdr-cd900st.  For closed cans, the HE 400, Senn HD 600 or 650.

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #24,191 of 29,490
Quote:
Since my musical tastes are 60% orchestrals/ classical, 25% Rock, 10% Hip-hop, and 5% oldies, and my budget is anywhere around $300- $400, I'd probably be stuck between semi-closed or sealed back cans because I'll be powering them with my cellphone (samsung galaxy s3). I'll be purchasing an amp down the road but not at the moment. The music formats are mostly 320kbps mp3 and flac. As for soudn signature, I'm just looking for non-fatiguing highs and luscious mids, maybe a splash of bass but nothing overwhelming.
Quote:
The V-Moda M-100 is a good can for a basshead lite.  It is not so good for orchestral/classical music.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Until you get an amp, look to the Audio Technica ATH-ES10, Beyer DT 1350 or Senn Amperior.

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #24,192 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,
I've had hd 202 for quite some years and now as they have degraded I am looking for new ones.
I am considering a price around 50 EUR and so far I found HD 419 and AKG K514 MK2.  Some people also suggested Creative Aurvana Live but that one cannot be found any more.

I only use them in my house, mostly for rock music and they will be connected to AV receiver Yamaha v473 and PC ASUS Xonar. So I don't mind if the headphones are open or semi open, I would like them to be comfortable, without much pressure on the ear and I would expect an improvement over hd202 I had. I generally listen to high volume.

What would be your recommendations between the 2, or either model I should be considering?

In the U.S. the semi-open AKG K 240 Studio would fall within your budget.  Too bad you can't find a CAL!

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #24,193 of 29,490
Good afternoon, gentlemen!

My lovely girlfriend recently bought me a pair of ATH-M50's (my first entry into decent headphones.) Do you have any suggestions on what to pair with it as far as maybe a DAC or Amp goes? I'm listening to primarily hip-hop through my computer, with no need for anything portable.

Let me know if this question would be better posted in another thread. Thanks!

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #24,194 of 29,490
Hello there peoples of head-fi. :)

I'm a complete newbie at headphone shopping. I've never cared too much about which I had, because It's never really been a problem using my speakers. The few times I've needed headphones, I've survived with the fantastic iPhone in-ears. Yep.
Now I feel, that it's tiem to upgrade. Seriously upgrade. I know nothing about all the technical stuff behind, so I'd appreciate help ALOT.
Here's what I need:

Use: I'm going to primarily use these for gaming and music. Which is probably why I'm in so much doubt about what to choose - should I go for a great gaming headset and compromise music, or the other way around? Sometimes, I'll also use them for a movie or two.
"Demands: I'm not at all very demanding of the headphones. I've been used to in-ears for years now - it shouldn't be hard to find a better upgrade. My biggest demand will be for them to be comfortable to wear.
Price range: I don't have millions to move around with. I'd say my maximum price lies about 115£ or 183 USD.
Musical genres: Rock. I listen to Muse, Coldplay, Metallica and AC/DC the most.
Gaming: I play strategic games like Battle for Middle Earth and Warcraft or horror games like Amnesia and Slender. I need the good headphones especially for the latter.
Open/closed: Closed! I'm getting these specifically to not force others to listen to my games and music.
Portability and size: I'll play mostly at home in front of the PC, but it'd be great to be able to have them with me once in a while. The size isn't important for me, though I'd like them to be big enough to be comfortable to wear, and small enough to not be a pain in the beep.

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #24,195 of 29,490
Quote:

SRH840 actually work very well without an amp.  They're extremely good closed headphones for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back