++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 3, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #24,166 of 29,490
Quote:
Quick question: is there a difference in detail between the Beyerdynamic dt770-80 and dt880-250, or is it just a matter of sound signature?

The answer is yes. My 880 Pro has way more detail than my 770 Premium 600 ohm. There's more of a difference in detail retrieval than I thought there would be.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #24,167 of 29,490
Quote:
You seem to be on the right track.

Thank you, I will try to find HD600/650 and DT880 and listen to them before I decide witch way to go.

dt880smile.png

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #24,168 of 29,490
Hey guys I was wondering which of the following would be a good addition to my Sennheiser HD 700s. Should be mostly for "aggressive" music while gaming (metal etc.). with some bass and somehow similar to the sennheiser hd 650 but still something new 
happy_face1.gif

Deneon Ah-d 7100

Denon Ah-d 600

Hifiman HE-500

Ultrasone Edition 8

Beyerdynamic DT 880

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #24,169 of 29,490
Source: 24-96 flac via foobar2000
              Fiio E17 + E09K

Genres: Classic Rock (lots of acoustic, like CSN, Neil Young, etc.), Classic Jazz (not exactly classic jazz, but I love Steely Dan),  some Classical, but mostly jazz and rock.

Can preference: Circumaural, closed, absolutely comfortable for long listening sessions, hopefully something that folds and comes with a   case for transport to work in a backpack

Preferred sound signature: Fairly neutral, I do like detail (but detest sibilance), a spacious soundstage (harder to achieve w/closed), lush vocals, tight/punchy bass that doesn't bleed. Overall, something very non-fatiguing if possible.

Price range: Maximum of $350, used are definitely an option for me.

Current headphones: Koss DJ100. I like them, but I want more - I want to be blown away, and I think it's possible coming from these entry-level cans.

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #24,170 of 29,490
Hello again, I was seriously thinking about buying a mid-fi headphones for the past 2 weeks and I'm on the fence what to buy.
So I can buy one of these:
AKG K 550 (200$)
Sennheiser HD 598 (180$)
Philips Uptown (120$) + Fiio E7 (120$)
Or save up for V-Moda M100 (400$) or Sony MDR-1R (400$)
All prices listed above are best offers from my local stores.
Open cans will be used only at home, closed might be used outside.
I have listened to K550, Uptown and 1R already and they are really comfortable and sound good to me, but K550 and Uptown don't have detachable cable...
Source: iPod Touch 4g, ALAC
I listen to electronic and hip-hop music (mostly instrumentals) and a lil bit of everything.
So what is the best choice? 

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #24,171 of 29,490
Lol.. I created a new thread.. but I realized there are such thread here.. um.. just wanna ask that are there any overear headphones that cost around $200? (on-ear should be alright)

Primary usage of the headphone will be for listening to music and gaming(fps and LoL)
might be bringing it to school to listen to music during my Free period. 

Thank you!! 
(Newbie here... dont know the rules yet)

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #24,172 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello again, I was seriously thinking about buying a mid-fi headphones for the past 2 weeks and I'm on the fence what to buy.
So I can buy one of these:
AKG K 550 (200$)
Sennheiser HD 598 (180$)
Philips Uptown (120$) + Fiio E7 (120$)
Or save up for V-Moda M100 (400$) or Sony MDR-1R (400$)
All prices listed above are best offers from my local stores.
Open cans will be used only at home, closed might be used outside.
I have listened to K550, Uptown and 1R already and they are really comfortable and sound good to me, but K550 and Uptown don't have detachable cable...
Source: iPod Touch 4g, ALAC
I listen to electronic and hip-hop music (mostly instrumentals) and a lil bit of everything.
So what is the best choice? 

I own both the MDR-1R and the M-100's. I'd go with the M-100.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #24,173 of 29,490
Quote:
Source: 24-96 flac via foobar2000
              Fiio E17 + E09K

Genres: Classic Rock (lots of acoustic, like CSN, Neil Young, etc.), Classic Jazz (not exactly classic jazz, but I love Steely Dan),  some Classical, but mostly jazz and rock.

Can preference: Circumaural, closed, absolutely comfortable for long listening sessions, hopefully something that folds and comes with a   case for transport to work in a backpack

Preferred sound signature: Fairly neutral, I do like detail (but detest sibilance), a spacious soundstage (harder to achieve w/closed), lush vocals, tight/punchy bass that doesn't bleed. Overall, something very non-fatiguing if possible.

Price range: Maximum of $350, used are definitely an option for me.

Current headphones: Koss DJ100. I like them, but I want more - I want to be blown away, and I think it's possible coming from these entry-level cans.

Try the Audio Technica ES-10

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #24,174 of 29,490
Quote:
I own both the MDR-1R and the M-100's. I'd go with the M-100.

Thanks, I started thinking about buying them from V-Moda online shop, It would be a bit cheaper actualy than buying them from my local store -_-'
What do you think about 1R? I've tried them and they look good to me: super-comfortable, pretty clear sound and great materials used. Or am I mistaken?

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #24,175 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks, I started thinking about buying them from V-Moda online shop, It would be a bit cheaper actualy than buying them from my local store -_-'
What do you think about 1R? I've tried them and they look good to me: super-comfortable, pretty clear sound and great materials used. Or am I mistaken?

The 1R is a nicely built, comfy and attractive hp. However, for my tastes, they are a bit too warm sounding. They have that Sony signature sound. The M-100s also seem to have better separation between the different frequencies (low , mid.high). A common criticism of the M-100 , however, is of slightly recessed mids. Try to audition them first, as I don't know exactly what your tastes are.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #24,177 of 29,490
Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading my headphones. I currently have HD555(barely use them anymore mainly because of the long cable) and M-80 (my current go to can because of portability, short cable and the bass sorta gives me energy to do my chores)

so in essence I'm looking for a higher quality headphone that sort of merges and upgrades the characteristics of my current headphones both construction and sound signature wise. so I can give away my current gear to some family members.

Sound: mid-centric signature for vocals but with a nice punchy bass that does not bleed to the mids and rolled highs because I'm too sensitive to high frequencies(a darker presentation would do). and as much spaciousness and depth as possible with those other characteristics.
Type of cans: full size, I do prefer open cans but I think they'll have to be closed or semi-closed(ported) to be able to use them outside(I want to get a FiiO X3)
construction: don't really care the weight or the size just that they have detachable or at least easily replaceable cables and are not fragile I love my M-80's for their construction although I'm aware I might not find the same thoughness on other cans.
budget: no more than $500

so far the ones that got my attention are the HE-300 and HE-400. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #24,178 of 29,490
Quote:
The 1R is a nicely built, comfy and attractive hp. However, for my tastes, they are a bit too warm sounding. They have that Sony signature sound. The M-100s also seem to have better separation between the different frequencies (low , mid.high). A common criticism of the M-100 , however, is of slightly recessed mids. Try to audition them first, as I don't know exactly what your tastes are.

I think I'm gonna go with M100 and then maybe buy 1RBT as wireless cans.
Sadly I cant try M100's before buying...
Thank you for your mini-review, it is really helpful.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #24,180 of 29,490
Quote:
The Sony is approaching 15 years old.  You will be hard pressed to find very many people who have heard it. 

The Ultrasone needs an amp and is much more expensive than the Shure.  The better 840 and much better 940 (which also needs an amp) are closer in price to the 2400.

Your picks appear to be all over the map.

I've heard from an elder that the Sony's are timeless, but he hasn't told me f they need an amp.
So the Ultrasone will sound weak if I rely on the iPhone's amp?
And the Shure 840 need an amp too? So from what I understood, the SRH440's don't sound good regardless if I use an amp or not?

Ok, so now I'll have to narrow down my search to full size circumaural cans that don't require an amp. Of course, while considering all previous preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back