++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #24,152 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, guys this will be my first serious headphones and I really want to make the right choice.
I don't have the finances to buy lots of headphones until I find one close to my requirements.
Until now the best headphone that I have user are Sony MDR-301 :)

I listen a lot of different styles of music but mostly:

- acoustic music (Acoustic Alchemy, Bozzio Levin Stevens, Donovan...)
- classic & spanish guitar music (Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Ali Khattab, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Ana Vidovic, Andy McKee, Armik, John Williams... )
- electric guitar music (Joe Satriani, Marty Friedman, Steve Vai...)
- rock (Dire Straits, Deep Purple, DIO, Guns n Roses, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Scorpions, Uriah Heep...)
- progressive (Ayreon, Kaipa, Dream Theater...)
- metal (Blind Guardian, Edguy, Epica, Falconer, Kamelot, Sabaton, Savatage, Tarja Turunen...)
- classic (piano sonatas and symphonies)

All files are lossless or directly from audio cd.
At first I can use Vortex 2, Creative Live 24 bits or integrated motherboard audio through spdif to my receiver Kenwood KRF-V8070D. I can buy a used amp if needed.
When I have more money to spend I will buy proper dac and headphone amp, but that will be a subject for another thread.

Budget: max 350 EUR (only for the HP)
I think to buy them from amazon.de.
Or If you can recommend some other site that delivers to Eastern Europe and has good prices.

Based on what I read here for now I'm focused on:
Sennheiser HD598/HD600/HD650
Beyerdynamic DT-880

But I'm open to any other suggestions in that budget.

Thank you.

You seem to be on the right track.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #24,153 of 29,490
Quote:
Greetings everybody,

Since I didn't get a good reply last time I asked, I'll ask again. These will be my first decent headphones. I'm looking for a headphone in the 200 dollars range. I'll be using them most in the following order: Gaming, Music, Movies. They have to have a good soundstage. I'd prefer if they were open headphones since I won't be moving them out of my comfortable chair. I'm using an onboard soundcard at the moment, but I will upgrade it once I have picked out my headphones, I also do not have an amp.

Right now my mind is set on these:

- Q701( I've read that they require a good amp to sound to their full potential but I'm not getting an Amp until about 2-3 months.)
- AD900 (Doesn't require an amp + cheaper, right now leaning to those, I'm not a basshead but I'd still like it if it'd be there.)

I'm VERY OPEN to other suggestions!
Thank you!

The answer will probably be the same as before.  Without an amp get the AT; with a decent amp get the Q701.  Both are good cans.

The Sony MDR-MA 900 is also a good choice without amp.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #24,154 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright so far so good, the following are the headphones that meet my criteria I posted previously for the hunt of the perfect pair:

- Ultrasone HFI-2400 (recommended by a member of head-fi)
- Sony MDR-CD2000 (A LEGENDARY GEM I FOUND ON HEAD-FI)
- Shure SRH440 (based on my own crappy/newbie/non-scientific search)

I really don't know which one is best.

To be honest, I don't care which one is open, semi-open, or closed EVEN THOUGH I KNOW OPEN PROVIDES BETTER SOUND :/
But in the same time closed provides better isolation for subway and bus. But whatever, each one has it's ups and downs.
I just care that my headphones are circumaural, as real and as natural sound as possible, no amp, all purpose all around performer, lightweight, standard/non-proprietary 3.5mm male to male audio cable, durable high grade plastic, lightweight and foldable.

Shank you all ferry mach for zee helb!! =D

The Sony is approaching 15 years old.  You will be hard pressed to find very many people who have heard it. 

The Ultrasone needs an amp and is much more expensive than the Shure.  The better 840 and much better 940 (which also needs an amp) are closer in price to the 2400.

Your picks appear to be all over the map.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #24,155 of 29,490
Themplax, if it were me I'd save yourself about $100 and get some Grado SR80i phones for around $85. Easily driven without an amp, and are very good for the money. You could replace the pads and still be under $100 total.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #24,156 of 29,490
Quote:
Themplax, if it were me I'd save yourself about $100 and get some Grado SR80i phones for around $85. Easily driven without an amp, and are very good for the money. You could replace the pads and still be under $100 total.

Their limited sound stage makes them less than optimal for games and movies.  This remains true through the line to at least the SR 225i

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #24,159 of 29,490
Quote:
Anybody have experience directly comparing the AKG K271 and the K550?  The K550 costs around twice as much (currently $289 vs $125 on Amazon) -- is it twice as much quality-wise?

I'm seeing in various reviews that the K550 has a much more open soundscape, a bit more color, and more bass, while the K271 is often considered to be more comfortable, and more analytic.  I'm going to be running through a tube amp (a Dared MP-5, actually), so the amp will provide a bit of color, and I'm not a bass-head.  In essence, I'm wondering if the K550 is worth the extra $160.

Thanks!

I owned the K271 and thought that they seriously lacked in bass.  I had a chance to compare them to a bunch of headphones and they had less bass than any other headphone.  Classical music was ok but this killed the fun with most other kinds of music.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #24,160 of 29,490
As of now, my musical tastes are 60% orchestrals/ classical, 25% Rock, 10% Hip-hop, and 5% oldies. My budget is anywhere around $300- $400. Is there a full-sized can that will suit my needs? Will the V-moda M-100s quench my thirst? Thanks in advance.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #24,161 of 29,490
I'm looking to buy a new pair of open headphones after I had to throw out two different pairs of Beyerdynamic DT990 because after a few months of use they both eventually developed a rattling/buzzing noise whenever the headphones played a low frequency sound. I think maybe a hair got stuck in the driver or something, but I took it apart and couldn't find any. I don't want to waste any more money than I already have, so I don't think I want to buy another Beyerdynamic.

So I'm wondering what headphones to try now. I've tried the Grado SR225 but hated it because it was too treble heavy and the it was horrendously uncomfortable. I also tried the DT880 and it sounded great but I just barely liked the DT990 more because it had more bass. I've also tried the HD280 but thought it had too much bass.

I don't really have a budget, but I guess I want something around $200-250. They will mostly be used for gaming and rock music. Comfort is important too, because I'm on the computer for hours at a time.

What about the Q701/K701? Or the AD900? They caught my eye on some of the buying guide threads. How does the bass on them compare to the headphones I've owned? Or maybe there's something else entirely that suits me better?

I don't know, I look forward to hearing people's thoughts on this! :)

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #24,162 of 29,490
Quote:
As of now, my musical tastes are 60% orchestrals/ classical, 25% Rock, 10% Hip-hop, and 5% oldies. My budget is anywhere around $300- $400. Is there a full-sized can that will suit my needs? Will the V-moda M-100s quench my thirst? Thanks in advance.

The V-Moda M-100 is a good can for a basshead lite.  It is not so good for orchestral/classical music.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #24,163 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking to buy a new pair of open headphones after I had to throw out two different pairs of Beyerdynamic DT990 because after a few months of use they both eventually developed a rattling/buzzing noise whenever the headphones played a low frequency sound. I think maybe a hair got stuck in the driver or something, but I took it apart and couldn't find any. I don't want to waste any more money than I already have, so I don't think I want to buy another Beyerdynamic.

So I'm wondering what headphones to try now. I've tried the Grado SR225 but hated it because it was too treble heavy and the it was horrendously uncomfortable. I also tried the DT880 and it sounded great but I just barely liked the DT990 more because it had more bass. I've also tried the HD280 but thought it had too much bass.

I don't really have a budget, but I guess I want something around $200-250. They will mostly be used for gaming and rock music. Comfort is important too, because I'm on the computer for hours at a time.

What about the Q701/K701? Or the AD900? They caught my eye on some of the buying guide threads. How does the bass on them compare to the headphones I've owned? Or maybe there's something else entirely that suits me better?

I don't know, I look forward to hearing people's thoughts on this! :)

The AKG and AT cans you listed are great but will have too little bass for you--less than the DT 880.

I'll turn it over for others to recommend a bass heavy or bass oriented can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back