++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #24,136 of 29,490
Anybody have experience directly comparing the AKG K271 and the K550?  The K550 costs around twice as much (currently $289 vs $125 on Amazon) -- is it twice as much quality-wise?

I'm seeing in various reviews that the K550 has a much more open soundscape, a bit more color, and more bass, while the K271 is often considered to be more comfortable, and more analytic.  I'm going to be running through a tube amp (a Dared MP-5, actually), so the amp will provide a bit of color, and I'm not a bass-head.  In essence, I'm wondering if the K550 is worth the extra $160.

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #24,137 of 29,490
Quote:

You can consider Ultrasone pro 550 , ATH M50  for over ear examples but IMO an old but still very good Sennheiser hd 25 II is the best option ! neverthelesss it's on-ear :) . These cans are all designed for profesionnal use and have strong clamping force . they're all built as tank

I've been reading really good things about the Roland RH-300, does anyone know what the isolation is and how sturdy they are?

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #24,138 of 29,490
Hi everyone!!

I'm newbie in the headphone arena but been a lifetime fan of EDM, trance, Electro, techno etc. (you get where i'm going with this..:wink:..) music. Was using bose headsets all these years (IE and OE) and now I feel its time to get into the real world. I love the music I listen and want to feel the beautiful bass created by some great dj's out there just they way they intend to be heard. So, I'm looking for the right set of cans in achieving this audio heaven..possibly in the $150-$170 range..:p Another reason i'm here is coz everyone i know talks about the 'bling' headsets which i personally feel is more for the fashion statement than for music.

I usually listen to music from my ipod nano 4G (planning to upgrade to an ipod touch 5G in a couple of months)
Prefer a headset that won't need an amp and still render the awesome bassy effect of the above mentioned genres (a small step to the audiophile world).
I'm a student and carry it around on campus, so portability is preferable but not a must.

Few headsets I've looked into and I'm really interested in are
Ultrasone hfi 780
Sennheiser HD 558

Would appreciate all the help I can get!!
Thank you in advance!

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #24,139 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone!!

I'm newbie in the headphone arena but been a lifetime fan of EDM, trance, Electro, techno etc. (you get where i'm going with this..:wink:..) music. Was using bose headsets all these years (IE and OE) and now I feel its time to get into the real world. I love the music I listen and want to feel the beautiful bass created by some great dj's out there just they way they intend to be heard. So, I'm looking for the right set of cans in achieving this audio heaven..possibly in the $150-$170 range..:p Another reason i'm here is coz everyone i know talks about the 'bling' headsets which i personally feel is more for the fashion statement than for music.

I usually listen to music from my ipod nano 4G (planning to upgrade to an ipod touch 5G in a couple of months)
Prefer a headset that won't need an amp and still render the awesome bassy effect of the above mentioned genres (a small step to the audiophile world).
I'm a student and carry it around on campus, so portability is preferable but not a must.

Ultrasone hfi 780
Sennheiser HD 558

Thank you in advance!

And forgot to mention..I listen to music..at least 4 hours everyday..so has to be comfortable for long use and possibly a little durable. (don't want it to burnt out in a year..:wink:)

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #24,141 of 29,490
Hey, I'm interested in buying a pair of JVC DX700's. Can anyone make any significant comparisons to the Denon D5000's? I love the Denons but want a bit more warmth and fun.

(On a side note, would pairing a portable tube amp like the Alo Continental with my D5000's be good or bad combo? Warm + warm = bad?)

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #24,142 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, I'm interested in buying a pair of JVC DX700's. Can anyone make any significant comparisons to the Denon D5000's? I love the Denons but want a bit more warmth and fun.

(On a side note, would pairing a portable tube amp like the Alo Continental with my D5000's be good or bad combo? Warm + warm = bad?)

Aren't the JVC a $700 Japanese import?  In any case few, if any, who are regulars here have probably ever heard it.

The $500 Alo is a hybrid amp.  It is also the only portable amp that I have heard of that uses a tube.  Again it is not a product that receives much, if any, mention here.  So I'll be surprised if anyone here can tell you first hand how it works with a specific (and now discontinued) can.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #24,143 of 29,490
Basically from what ive read its bad to pair the Denons with almost any kind of tube amp. Because they are colored as well, so your getting colored+colored constantly.. I personally wouldn't, but its up to you. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #24,144 of 29,490
Anyone here who own EPH-100 as well as Sennheiser HD650?

If yes so can you please tell me that going for sennheiser HD650 would be an substantial upgrade also if you could compare the sound signature of both?

TIA
-Abhi

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #24,145 of 29,490
Basically from what ive read its bad to pair the Denons with almost any kind of tube amp. Because they are colored as well, so your getting colored+colored constantly.. I personally wouldn't, but its up to you. 

Yeah thats what people keep telling me but I guess until Ive heard it with my own ears I'll never know. Ive got an Apex Glacier on the way so hopefully that'll pair well with my D5000's.

As for the JVC DX700's, Ive read they have more rolled off highs and are quite warm and fun. One reviewer went so far to say he could live with the JVC DX700's over his D5000's and headfonia gave the big brother DX1000's a really rave review.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #24,146 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioram20

Hi everyone!!

I'm newbie in the headphone arena but been a lifetime fan of EDM, trance, Electro, techno etc. (you get where i'm going with this..:wink:..) music. Was using bose headsets all these years (IE and OE) and now I feel its time to get into the real world. I'm looking for the right set of cans in achieving this audio heaven..possibly in the $150-$170 range..

listen to music..at least 4 hours everyday..so has to be comfortable for long use and possibly a little durable. (don't want it to burnt out in a year..:wink:)

Ultrasone hfi 780
Sennheiser HD 558
ATH M50

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #24,147 of 29,490
Hi, guys this will be my first serious headphones and I really want to make the right choice.
I don't have the finances to buy lots of headphones until I find one close to my requirements.
Until now the best headphone that I have user are Sony MDR-301 :)

I listen a lot of different styles of music but mostly:

- acoustic music (Acoustic Alchemy, Bozzio Levin Stevens, Donovan...)
- classic & spanish guitar music (Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Ali Khattab, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Ana Vidovic, Andy McKee, Armik, John Williams... )
- electric guitar music (Joe Satriani, Marty Friedman, Steve Vai...)
- rock (Dire Straits, Deep Purple, DIO, Guns n Roses, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Scorpions, Uriah Heep...)
- progressive (Ayreon, Kaipa, Dream Theater...)
- metal (Blind Guardian, Edguy, Epica, Falconer, Kamelot, Sabaton, Savatage, Tarja Turunen...)
- classic (piano sonatas and symphonies)

All files are lossless or directly from audio cd.
At first I can use Vortex 2, Creative Live 24 bits or integrated motherboard audio through spdif to my receiver Kenwood KRF-V8070D. I can buy a used amp if needed.
When I have more money to spend I will buy proper dac and headphone amp, but that will be a subject for another thread.

Budget: max 350 EUR (only for the HP)
I think to buy them from amazon.de.
Or If you can recommend some other site that delivers to Eastern Europe and has good prices.

Based on what I read here for now I'm focused on:
Sennheiser HD598/HD600/HD650
Beyerdynamic DT-880

But I'm open to any other suggestions in that budget.

Thank you.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #24,148 of 29,490
Greetings everybody,

Since I didn't get a good reply last time I asked, I'll ask again. These will be my first decent headphones. I'm looking for a headphone in the 200 dollars range. I'll be using them most in the following order: Gaming, Music, Movies. They have to have a good soundstage. I'd prefer if they were open headphones since I won't be moving them out of my comfortable chair. I'm using an onboard soundcard at the moment, but I will upgrade it once I have picked out my headphones, I also do not have an amp.

Right now my mind is set on these:

- Q701( I've read that they require a good amp to sound to their full potential but I'm not getting an Amp until about 2-3 months.)
- AD900 (Doesn't require an amp + cheaper, right now leaning to those, I'm not a basshead but I'd still like it if it'd be there.)

I'm VERY OPEN to other suggestions!
Thank you!

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #24,149 of 29,490
I have narrowed down my choice to the Shure SRH750DJ and the Ultrasone HFI-780. Which one would be better for rap? If you don't think those would be sufficient enough, suggest some headphones for rap but, they have to be $150
Or under.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #24,150 of 29,490
Alright so far so good, the following are the headphones that meet my criteria I posted previously for the hunt of the perfect pair:

- Ultrasone HFI-2400 (recommended by a member of head-fi)
- Sony MDR-CD2000 (A LEGENDARY GEM I FOUND ON HEAD-FI)
- Shure SRH440 (based on my own crappy/newbie/non-scientific search)

I really don't know which one is best.

To be honest, I don't care which one is open, semi-open, or closed EVEN THOUGH I KNOW OPEN PROVIDES BETTER SOUND :/
But in the same time closed provides better isolation for subway and bus. But whatever, each one has it's ups and downs.
I just care that my headphones are circumaural, as real and as natural sound as possible, no amp, all purpose all around performer, lightweight, standard/non-proprietary 3.5mm male to male audio cable, durable high grade plastic, lightweight and foldable.

Shank you all ferry mach for zee helb!! =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back