++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #24,091 of 29,490
Quote:
Read a lot of conflicting information on this site.

Can Sennheiser HD598 be enjoyed without an amp? Can I plug this headphone straight into my computer and enjoy it?

The HD-598 is designed to be and is marketed as suitable for even portable devices. However, you won't get a unanimous opinion on whether or not an amp is required.

Have you tried asking in the HD-598 Appreciation Thread?

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #24,093 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi

I need a little advice. I have Woo WA22 with the usual tube upgrades plus Beyer T1's.  Looking at either HD800 or LCD3. I use a Musical Fidelity M6 CD player. Listen to mainly metal and prog. Are the 3's worth the extra....i had heard they have a darker sound. Or should i look at something else entirely?

Those cans are about $1,500 and up.  That is a subject for the Summit-Fi  section of the forum.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #24,094 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello All,

I'm looking for some advice on my next headphone purchase. At the moment I am torn between the HiFiMAN HE-400s and HE-500s. I'm not sure which would complement my current cans better. I started out with the DT 880s and picked up the DT 990s for a bit more bass. With that said, I am curious how the HE-400's bass compares to the DT 990's? Is there any point to owning both, based on bass alone? From what I gathered reading, the DT 990s have the bass quality and quantity over the He-400s. So, with that thought, I'm kind of leaning towards the 500s. But I'd like to hear some opinions before I make a decision.

Also I currently have a TubeMagic A1 as my main amp with a D2 as my DAC, but am looking to upgrade to a La Figaro 339 amp very shortly. For the meantime, will the A1 suffice for both the 400 and 500?

My current headphones:
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 600 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 600 ohm
Sony XB500

Thanks

Both the HE-400 & 500 are more like the 880 than the 990.  Since you appear to seeking cans that emphasize bass, neither will work for you.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #24,095 of 29,490
Both the HE-400 & 500 are more like the 880 than the 990.  Since you appear to seeking cans that emphasize bass, neither will work for you.

Well I'm not really looking for another basshead headphone just yet. That's why I brought up the point of owning both the HE-400s and the DT 990s, and whether or not it would be pointless. As, I'm under the impression that bass is the main reason to chose the HE-400 over the HE-500.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #24,096 of 29,490
[size=small] Hey guys, I am a normally-headed human being, with slightly bigger ears than usual and glasses.[/size]

[size=small] I am looking for very comfortable, inexpensive headphones.[/size]

[size=small] I so far ruled down my possibilities to the[/size]

[size=small]
  1. Sony MDR-V6
  2. Koss PRO DJ-100
  3. Shure Shr440
  4. edit: I have also at hand a pair of JVC harx700 I may get for about 20€ (~25US$)

[/size] [size=small] As you can see I do not really want to spend much money on that. The main feature I am looking for is comfort. Then sound quality, and eventually built quality and portability. These will run out of my mac at work.[/size]

[size=small] I currently own a pair of senns hd25-1 ii and AKG k701s.[/size]

[size=small] I am in Europe, if this makes any difference.[/size]

[size=small] What would you recommend? Feel free to suggest other alternatives as well![/size]

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #24,097 of 29,490
Budget: $100
Source: PC, Ipod Touch (w/Filo E6)
Headphone Type: Around the Ear, Closed/Semi-Closed
Musical Genres: Everything but country and dubstep

Well the honeymoon with the Panasonic RPHTF600S is over, and I'm looking to move on. What would you guys recommend that has impressive sub-bass extension, but also with midrange-clarity and a decent soundstage? Isolation and looks aren't factors as they won't be leaving my house.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #24,098 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Well I'm not really looking for another basshead headphone just yet. That's why I brought up the point of owning both the HE-400s and the DT 990s, and whether or not it would be pointless. As, I'm under the impression that bass is the main reason to chose the HE-400 over the HE-500.

Your impression is incorrect.  Both have excellent (if slightly different) bass.

The only reasons I can ascertain for going with the HE-400 over the HE-500 are price, amping (HE-500 requires more) and somewhat colored (HE-400) over neutral (HE-500) sound signature.

Read this for an excellent review of both:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_HE500

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #24,099 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=small] Hey guys, I am a normally-headed human being, with slightly bigger ears than usual and glasses.[/size]

[size=small] I am looking for very comfortable, inexpensive headphones.[/size]

[size=small] I so far ruled down my possibilities to the[/size]

[size=small]
  1. Sony MDR-V6
  2. Koss PRO DJ-100
  3. Shure Shr440
  4. edit: I have also at hand a pair of JVC harx700 I may get for about 20€ (~25US$)

[/size] [size=small] As you can see I do not really want to spend much money on that. The main feature I am looking for is comfort. Then sound quality, and eventually built quality and portability. These will run out of my mac at work.[/size]

[size=small] I currently own a pair of senns hd25-1 ii and AKG k701s.[/size]

[size=small] I am in Europe, if this makes any difference.[/size]

[size=small] What would you recommend? Feel free to suggest other alternatives as well![/size]

KRK KNS 8400 is your best bet.  However, comfort is a most individual thing.  Only by putting any can on your own head and wearing it for a time equal to your longest listening session will give you a certain answer.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #24,100 of 29,490
Just started looking for my first pair of headphones. Budget is around 250-300 usd.
They will be used with my macbook and an amp  that i still have to choose and buy.
I mostly listen to music like RHCP / Radiohead / Mutemath / coldplay / arctic monkeys
I currently own the GR07 BE and like them very much. I would like headphones with mayby just a bit more mid, a bit wider soundstage in both directions and a bit more comfortable for hours of listening.
I will only use them at home in a room of around 4*6 meter and they won't bother anyone (in other words: i don't know if i'll prefer closed/open/semi/whatever)

thanks in advance.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #24,101 of 29,490
Most of us here believe that it is quite easy to beat (pun intended) the sound quality of Beats--and for much less money.  From what you posted, I would guess that you are looking for a bass emphasized sound signature, but for clarity, please tell us:

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

BTW: asking for no plastic and light weight might be going a bridge too far.

Sorry I was disconnected by my ISP for a week that's why I didn't answer. Ok so I'm basically looking for all rounded all purpose clean sound. No enhancements, just the way it's suppose to sound. I'll be using for music, gaming, movies, webcam, etc. eveything.
And regular use with standard devices no amp.
And yeah ok just really sturdy and lightweight and everything I mentioned previously. So now take everything into consideration. :D

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #24,102 of 29,490
Hello, gents! I was extremely amazed by the AKG K450 in every possible way - I found it really neutral with slightly pumped, tight bass, wide soundstage and detail, you name it...I listen to rock and eurodance music - nothing else.Source : Arcam rPac, playing mostly flac and wav files.Where else can I find this type of sound or something better? I`d like to improve...Should I go for the AKG K702 or Beyerdynamic DT880? Grados are hard to find in the European Union.Detail, separation and overall neutral sound is what I would be after.Thanks to anyone for his time !

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #24,103 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Most of us here believe that it is quite easy to beat (pun intended) the sound quality of Beats--and for much less money.  From what you posted, I would guess that you are looking for a bass emphasized sound signature, but for clarity, please tell us:

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

BTW: asking for no plastic and light weight might be going a bridge too far.

Sorry I was disconnected by my ISP for a week that's why I didn't answer. Ok so I'm basically looking for all rounded all purpose clean sound. No enhancements, just the way it's suppose to sound. I'll be using for music, gaming, movies, webcam, etc. eveything.
And regular use with standard devices no amp.
And yeah ok just really sturdy and lightweight and everything I mentioned previously. So now take everything into consideration.
biggrin.gif

Welcome back.  Unfortunately, I can' think of any can I can recommend that has a standard detachable cable.  All the cans that I can think of to recommend have proprietary cables.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #24,104 of 29,490
Just two things:
The Pros are one of the heaviest and most uncomfortable pairs of headphones around, you're still open to, I'd say 95% of the headphone market if you want something lighter.
And oftentimes high-grade plastic headphones are much more durable than metal ones. Usage of aluminum/steel is nice, but often just gets in the way (heavier, more uncomfortable, prone to more damage if dropped due to weight). In other words, metal=/=durable.

You didn't mention anything about portability, so I'm assuming fullsized cans are okay? Something about music/genre preferences might be useful.

I'd go for the HFI-2400. It's under $200 right now on Amazon.

Portability I'm ok with anything.
Ok so I'll take good plastic.
All purpose, I just need natural purist sound no mods no enhancements no equalizing and no amps.
And I heard open cans have better sound do the ones you suggest seem good. Does this pair u suggested confirm with all conditions so far? Thanks alot.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #24,105 of 29,490
Alright, first post in this forum...

Recently, my last pair of headphones essentially broke due to the jack being... well, utterly destroyed due to my particularly destructive cat, so I'm at a bit of loss of what to do now. As temporary, I'm using some ifrogz earbuds I got for Christmas (don't blame me, I didn't choose them).

I've searched quite a bit for relatively affordable headphones, and I've narrowed down the search to two I like the specifications of (although, I'm not that knowledgeable of these things). The two are "Monoprice 8323 Premium Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphones"; the second is Sennheiser HD 203 Studio Stereo Headphones, so really my desire is to know who is overall superior.

Although, I suppose suggestions would also be nice, if the headphones are under $50.

Also, my apologizes if the color seems as odd as it does in the exist editor; it was a linking error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back