++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #24,076 of 29,490
I'm thinking of buying the Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro. They're 150 euro here. But the DT 990 Pro are the same price.

Which one would be better for basic mixing purposes, next to listen pleasure, for mainly Hiphop and R&B ?
I want to plug it in my Yamaha R300 (my speakers are connected to that), would this work ?

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #24,077 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys looking for a secound pair of headphones...
I'm thinking around 400$ budget... All i have right now is a shure 750dj and a cmoy 1227.
Im craving more detail and soundstage i find the 750 to be muddy.

I mainly listen to edm.. Particularly dubstep, drum and bass, ans whatever. You want to call deadmau5. Hoever i also enjoy listening to rock and small amunts of classical music.

I may be a bit of a basshead but i think its starting to go more neutral i still crank the bass up a little on my eq
tongue.gif

Source is mainly 320 encoded aac or mp3 but some of it is 256 aac which dosent sound all that great to be honest... Fu***n itunes.

Started to move over to flac as the bass and soundstage seems to get better a little over 4% of my music is flac.

Im craving a bigger soundstage more detail and beteer more refined bass and pronounced, im thinking the fostex t50rp mad dogs might fit the bill i dont think id feel comfortable tsking it outside so im wondering if and what 100$ amp can power it. Possibly an amp and soundcard if possible im starting to get into digital music production and unfortunatly the realtec aint cutting it. Maybe just amp/dac fiio e17? Or maybe my best bet is simply amp oh btw the jacks on my computer add alot of white noise (distortion?) to the signal so maybe a external soundcard is a viable option idk if a desktop amp or dac can bypass this

Anyways thanks as always

I'm going to get some flack for saying this... But you should see if you can demo a pair of Ultrasone PRO 900's (or especially 2900's if you can find a good deal). They're perfect for EDM, and I personally listened to a good deal of classical and rock on my 900's. I am a low brass player so the extra bass actually "fixed" some of the tuba and trombone deficiencies in a lot of recordings. 
biggrin.gif
 They are also surprisingly good for any kind of piano. Needless to say, you will not require any EQ for bass... But see if you can try them for a week or so before you commit. (I hear Amazon's return policy is good for this.)

I also have a FiiO E17, I like it a lot. I think it's hard to beat at that price point if you want the DAC functionality and portability.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #24,078 of 29,490
Hi guys,

In China ATM and so far have purchased the EPH-100, a new portable rig (Sansa clip zip + amp) and IE80s. Funnily enough i find myself with way too much money left over (lol and its not even new years). As a result of this i'm looking for another full size pair of headphones that sound different to the 650s. The genres i listen to the most is Asian pop and Classical. I love the HD650s but am curious about what other cans will sound like in comparison.

I have around ¥2000 to spend (approx. 315 USD) to spend. Keep in mind that many popular non-chinese brands tend to be overpriced, but by no means does that mean that you shouldn't recommend them. I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks for reading!

P.S: I will be driving the cans with an Aune T1, if any of you know what that is
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #24,079 of 29,490
I dont want to pick a genre in particular. I like them all apart from Metal and all related.

From indie to electro pop, classic, and jazz.

I really have no ideia where to start. Just don´t need a bass head.

I think all frequencies are important.

Quote:
Hi guys.

I am looking for my First pair of headphones.

All I have are a paira of sennheiser px100 a bit overused.

I have a budget of 200 euros.

My maintain concerns is sound Quality. They will be plugged to my Colorfly c3 and my audiolab amp.

What models should I see? I thinking over ears have better sq correct?

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #24,080 of 29,490
Hey guys, been lurking a bit but can't quite make up my mind. I am currently looking for some over the ear headphones for gaming and music. The genre of music I mostly listen to is pretty wide so something that covers everything from bands like tool and puscifer to stuff like vocal trance and electro back down to indy rock.

My budget isn't huge, I would prefer to stay under 100$ or around that area, the place i work has sennheiser HD 558's for 120$ staff but I have heard bad things for the cost. My main goal is to get better sound then my PC 350's I have right now.

I currently don't have an amp/soundcard so they will unlikely be used with one until I can afford one.

The headphones I am currently looking at are...

Sennheiser HD 558 (seem to expensive for what you get)
ATH-AD700's (heard the bass was awful and i want bass)
Superlux HD-668 B (read good things on this site at the start of this thread but unsure if they will out perform my PC 350's, HOWEVER, a lot of people are saying these don't last more than 2-3 months)

Any other suggestions for something under 100$ ideally in the 50-60$ range but I am flexible, right now I am leaning towards the HD 558 just because they seem to get fairly positive reviews but again the price is a little high for what I have to spend.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #24,081 of 29,490
Money is tight so this is pretty much a hypothetical question for quite a ways down the road but I was wanted to know what I was saving for.  My question is if I should go for the HE-400 or spring for the HE-500.  Are the 500's worth the 300$ price premium?  Either one would be connected to my Audioquest Dragonfly but if I were to do the HE-500's I would also pick up the Schiit Asgard headphone amp meaning even more wait time
size]
.  My current setup is my Laptop ---> Dragonfly ----> HD25-II's which would turn into my 'portable' rig.

I listen to pretty much everything except rap/hard metal.  For example I am listening to the not-yet-released Spotify version of Fleetwood Mac's new album as I type, this morning to wake me up I listened to my meager pop FLAC collection, after class I was listening to my extensive country playlist and when I got home I threw on some Norah Jones with some Jack Johnson thrown in the mix.

Or maybe there is something that will provide a substantial upgrade to my HD25-II's?  Still new at this thing! 
size]

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #24,082 of 29,490
Quote:
Money is tight so this is pretty much a hypothetical question for quite a ways down the road but I was wanted to know what I was saving for.  My question is if I should go for the HE-400 or spring for the HE-500.  Are the 500's worth the 300$ price premium?  Either one would be connected to my Audioquest Dragonfly but if I were to do the HE-500's I would also pick up the Schiit Asgard headphone amp meaning even more wait time
size]
.  My current setup is my Laptop ---> Dragonfly ----> HD25-II's which would turn into my 'portable' rig.

I listen to pretty much everything except rap/hard metal.  For example I am listening to the not-yet-released Spotify version of Fleetwood Mac's new album as I type, this morning to wake me up I listened to my meager pop FLAC collection, after class I was listening to my extensive country playlist and when I got home I threw on some Norah Jones with some Jack Johnson thrown in the mix.

Or maybe there is something that will provide a substantial upgrade to my HD25-II's?  Still new at this thing! 
size]

Thanks!

The HE-500 is good enough to be an end game can for many.  If you can afford it.  Get it.  There's nothing priced anywhere close that can touch it.  It does not hurt that it sounds great with everything (unless you want distorted or colored sound).  Sheldon would.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #24,083 of 29,490
Hi

I need a little advice. I have Woo WA22 with the usual tube upgrades plus Beyer T1's.  Looking at either HD800 or LCD3. I use a Musical Fidelity M6 CD player. Listen to mainly metal and prog. Are the 3's worth the extra....i had heard they have a darker sound. Or should i look at something else entirely?

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #24,084 of 29,490
Hello,

I need some help. I need some headphones for primarily gaming, secondarily music. I do not have an amp. My price range is around 200 dollars. They should preferably be open headphones with
a large soundstage. They don't need to be portable. They should be comfortable as comfortable as possible. I have already considered the AD700 but people are scaring me with the lack of bass, so any reccomendations please? Thank you very much. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #24,085 of 29,490
Hi.

Recently I have been researching and trying to find a new pair of headphones to use with my PC and possibly iPod while at home. The music I listen to is mainly pop-punk and post-hardcore although I will also listen to pop and dubstep occasionally. The headset will also be used for gaming. I have a budget of 150 to 200 Australian Dollars to spend.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #24,087 of 29,490
Hi,

I need a recommendation for a new cans. I listen to a lot of genre but mainly electronic, chill out, lounge, jazz, etc. My budget is about $200, yeah that not much but I hope I can get something nice. I will use it at home, so I think I prefer open back. Comfort is the number one priority, then the sound itself. I don't have any amps at the moment so, I prefer something that doesn't need an amp.

I've tried Goldrings, ATH M50...and I don't think those cans suits me...

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #24,088 of 29,490
Sorry for the late reply! The 540 have good mids, lots of highs (sometimes too much), "reserved" but existing bass. Actually, pretty balanced with lots of detail and a good "three-dimensionality" (don't know how to say it in english). I hope you understand... :wink: flatulenzio

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #24,089 of 29,490
Hello All,

I'm looking for some advice on my next headphone purchase. At the moment I am torn between the HiFiMAN HE-400s and HE-500s. I'm not sure which would complement my current cans better. I started out with the DT 880s and picked up the DT 990s for a bit more bass. With that said, I am curious how the HE-400's bass compares to the DT 990's? Is there any point to owning both, based on bass alone? From what I gathered reading, the DT 990s have the bass quality and quantity over the He-400s. So, with that thought, I'm kind of leaning towards the 500s. But I'd like to hear some opinions before I make a decision.

Also I currently have a TubeMagic A1 as my main amp with a D2 as my DAC, but am looking to upgrade to a La Figaro 339 amp very shortly. For the meantime, will the A1 suffice for both the 400 and 500?

My current headphones:
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 600 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 600 ohm
Sony XB500

Thanks

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #24,090 of 29,490
FYI 

Sennheiser HD800 HP's are on backorder into Canada. At least, my order is. So is my Schiit. I aint got no Shiit. Won't see any Schiit from anyone until mid February most likely. I'm so depressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back