++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 29, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #24,062 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
What sound signature are you seeking (my guess is bassy)?

Hmmm that is a good question. I've had the following headphones and I've loved them all :p
Sennheiser HD555
Grado SR60
Beyerdynamic DT770's.

All with different purposes I guess... But I do really love the sound of my beyers and their comfort level.
Reading through the website I've actually started to wonder if I should buy a decent headphone amp instead and just carry around the DT770s I currently have :p

Those three cans put you all over the map in terms of sound signature.  I suggest that you check out the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread and see what impresses you.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #24,063 of 29,490
Hey everybody,

I am currently using a set of Bose QC3's but I would like to upgrade to a nicer pair of headphones. I have done quite a bit of research and I know that I will be needing a closed pair as I will be around other people while using the headphones. My budget is ~150 to 300. I am looking for a pretty well balanced pair with a little bias towards the base as I like hip hop and techno (but I also occasionally listen to rock, jazz, and classical). The headphones that have caught my eye so far are:

ATH m50's (I like them but am looking for better build quality)
AKG K550 (love the way these look and all the metal used)
Beyerdynamic 770 pro (really do not like how these look)
Ultrasone pro 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone HFI 780

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate some help in narrowing down my search, and if there are other headphones not on my list that fit the bill please do tell. It is worth noting that I have a CMoy BB amp...

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #24,064 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hey everybody,

I am currently using a set of Bose QC3's but I would like to upgrade to a nicer pair of headphones. I have done quite a bit of research and I know that I will be needing a closed pair as I will be around other people while using the headphones. My budget is ~150 to 300. I am looking for a pretty well balanced pair with a little bias towards the base as I like hip hop and techno (but I also occasionally listen to rock, jazz, and classical). The headphones that have caught my eye so far are:

Ultrasone pro 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone HFI 780

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate some help in narrowing down my search, and if there are other headphones not on my list that fit the bill please do tell. It is worth noting that I have a CMoy BB amp...

Thanks!

The Beyer's are open if you didn't know.

The DT 770 is technically closed. I think Beyerdynamic claims 18dB attenuation for this model but, if it's like their T 70, the isolation is only a little better than the (open) DT 990.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #24,067 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everybody,

Ultrasone pro 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone HFI 780

Thanks!

I recommend looking at the Ultrasone DJ1 also.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #24,068 of 29,490
I posted here in December and got some good advice from KG Jag but my situation's changed slightly and I'd appreciate some more input.

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD590s which I've finally received back from repair. I also now have a Little Dot Mark III amp with M8100/CV4010 tubes. While the HD590s were in I had to run the amp in with a pair of Koss Porta Pros. Now I've got the Sennheisers back I'm reminded that I'm just not in love with their sound signature.

I like a warm, bass-heavy sound. I love the little Porta Pros but they obviously aren't surefooted or detailed enough for serious home listening. The Sennheisers are OK: supremely comfortable and decent soundstage but they lack bottom end oomph and used to get a bit shrill at higher volumes although the tube amp has taken the edge off that.

I'm looking for audiphile cans with heavy, controlled bass that will play well with the Little Dot. KG Jag recommended the Beyer 880s which I'll certainly listen to, and I'll have to hear the HD650s, but I'm concerned that Beyer might be too bright and the 650s just a slightly better version of what I have. Any other serious contenders? 

Music: All sorts. Not much classical but a lot of rock, alt. country, indie, hard rock, soul.

Games: N/A

Amped/Unamped: Little Dot Mk III with M8100/CV4010

File Encoding: Vinyl, 24/96 vinyl rips or FLAC

Price Range: up to $400 but I'm prepared to wait, save up and go higher if there's something that fits my requirements.

Closed/Open: Either. Home use only. Must be comfortable and preferably not too hot. 

Past Headphones: HD580, HD590, Koss Porta Pro

Currently Looking At: Beyer 880, HD650

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #24,069 of 29,490
Will this new fubar hd work well with dt880 250 ohm?
is this new fubar better than fiio e17?

information about fubarhd:

''FubarHD is a USB DAC Headphone Amplifier with Coaxial and Optical Input. Its Headphone Amplifier belongs to Push-Pull with Class B which has the Class-B efficiency, but distortion. Owning whole digital input interface as USB, Coaxial and Optical and is different from the original Fubar DAC/Headphone Amplifier as Fubar3/4/4+ version (High Priority of USB Input) can let the user to manually choose their ideal transfer medium to satisfy the needs of sound quality by themselves in order to make the users feel the real and natural sound.

Technical Specifications
* Power Structure : Virtual-Ground power supply, Switching power supply
* Amplifier Structure : Coupling capacitor less, Push-Pull with Class-B
* Gain Control : High / Low (Only Digital input, attenuation 15dB)
* Headphone Impedence : 32 ohm to 600 ohm
* Circuit Protect : Output short / Over current protect
* Support Format : S/PDIF : 24-bit, 32kHz ~ 192kHz
                   USB : 24-bit, 44.1kHz / 48kHz / 96kHz

Connectivity
* Power Input : Dual Supply *1
                DC Jack (2.0mm) *1
* S/PDIF Input : Coaxial Jack *1
                 Optical Jack *1
* Analog Input : RCA Jack *1 (share with Analog Output)
* USB Interface : B-Type USB Jack *1
* Analog Output : RCA Jack *1 (share with Analog Input)
6.3mm PhoneJack *1

Chips
* USB Decoder : Tenor - TE7022L
* Digital Receiver : AKM - AK4113
* D/A Converter : AKM - AK4396
* LPF OPAmp : NS - LM4562
* OPAmp : NS - LM4562
* DC Servo : TI - TL072

Audio Performance (Coaxial in, Line out, 24-bit / 48kHz)
Frequency response (40Hz ~ 15kHz) : +0.02dB ~ -0.01dB
Noise level : -115.9dB
Dynamic range : 115.5dB
THD% : 0.019%
Stereo crosstalk : -114.8dB

Audio Performance (Coaxial in, Phone out, 24-bit / 48kHz)
Frequency response (40Hz ~ 15kHz) : +0.03 ~ -0.01dB
Noise level : -112.1dB
Dynamic range : 112.1dB
THD% : 0.019%
Stereo crosstalk : -110.6dB

Audio Performance (Line in, Phone out)
Frequency response (40Hz ~ 15kHz) : +0.03 ~ -0.01dB
Noise level : -113.0dB
Dynamic range : 112.6dB
THD% : 0.0003%
Stereo crosstalk : -105.7dB

System Requirements
* IntelR PentiumR 2, CeleronR 800MHz or higher computer system
* MicrosoftR Windows 2000R (Service Pack 4) or WindowsR XP (Service Pack 1)
* 128MB RAM
* Available USB port(USB 1.1)

Package Contents
* FubarHD
* DC24V 0.5A power adapter
* RCA wire
* USB wire
* User manual
* Warranty card
* Wrench

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #24,070 of 29,490
Hi guys looking for a secound pair of headphones...
I'm thinking around 400$ budget... All i have right now is a shure 750dj and a cmoy 1227.
Im craving more detail and soundstage i find the 750 to be muddy.

I mainly listen to edm.. Particularly dubstep, drum and bass, ans whatever. You want to call deadmau5. Hoever i also enjoy listening to rock and small amunts of classical music.

I may be a bit of a basshead but i think its starting to go more neutral i still crank the bass up a little on my eq :p

Source is mainly 320 encoded aac or mp3 but some of it is 256 aac which dosent sound all that great to be honest... Fu***n itunes.

Started to move over to flac as the bass and soundstage seems to get better a little over 4% of my music is flac.

Im craving a bigger soundstage more detail and beteer more refined bass and pronounced, im thinking the fostex t50rp mad dogs might fit the bill i dont think id feel comfortable tsking it outside so im wondering if and what 100$ amp can power it. Possibly an amp and soundcard if possible im starting to get into digital music production and unfortunatly the realtec aint cutting it. Maybe just amp/dac fiio e17? Or maybe my best bet is simply amp oh btw the jacks on my computer add alot of white noise (distortion?) to the signal so maybe a external soundcard is a viable option idk if a desktop amp or dac can bypass this

Anyways thanks as always

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #24,071 of 29,490
I'm thinking around 400$ budget... All i have right now is a shure 750dj and a cmoy 1227.

I mainly listen to edm.. Particularly dubstep, drum and bass, ans whatever. You want to call deadmau5. Hoever i also enjoy listening to rock and small amunts of classical music.

I may be a bit of a basshead but i think its starting to go more neutral i still crank the bass up a little on my eq
tongue.gif

Source is mainly 320 encoded aac or mp3 but some of it is 256 aac which dosent sound all that great to be honest... Fu***n itunes.

Started to move over to flac as the bass and soundstage seems to get better a little over 4% of my music is flac.

Im craving a bigger soundstage more detail and beteer more refined bass and pronounced, im thinking the fostex t50rp mad dogs might fit the bill i dont think id feel comfortable tsking it outside so im wondering if and what 100$ amp can power it. Possibly an amp and soundcard if possible im starting to get into digital music production and unfortunatly the realtec aint cutting it. Maybe just amp/dac fiio e17? Or maybe my best bet is simply amp oh btw the jacks on my computer add alot of white noise (distortion?) to the signal so maybe a external soundcard is a viable option idk if a desktop amp or dac can bypass this

Anyways thanks as always

Get the AKG K167, take the pads off of your Shure and put them on the AKG (the stock pads are throwaway trash). They don't need amped at all (though they definitely benefit from it), and they have a pretty flat sound sig. They're super detailed, super comfortable, isolate decently, and mostly neutral.

As for an amp/dac, what are your needs in terms of portability?

As 

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #24,072 of 29,490
Quote:

Get the AKG K167, take the pads off of your Shure and put them on the AKG (the stock pads are throwaway trash). They don't need amped at all (though they definitely benefit from it), and they have a pretty flat sound sig. They're super detailed, super comfortable, isolate decently, and mostly neutral.

As for an amp/dac, what are your needs in terms of portability?

As 

I actually found it better to cut the foam out of the shure earpads and put it behind the K167's stock earpads. This is more comfortable- the Shure pleather pads are the type that gets hot and sticky after a while- whereas the K167's pads are extremely soft and plush. The only problem with the AKG is that there's no cushioning between the baffle and the ear.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #24,073 of 29,490
Quote:

I may be a bit of a basshead but i think its starting to go more neutral i still crank the bass up a little on my eq
tongue.gif

Anyways thanks as always

You should look into the Philips Fidelio L1. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #24,074 of 29,490
Hello guys,

I'm looking for some headphones (my first full-size). The choice is between the
Philips Fidelio L1
AKG K550
Sennheiser Momentum

I can all get them for the same price (€160,-), so which one should I take?
Sound sig I'm looking for is probably a bit on the warmish side, so not to analytical sounding.
I also would like a good 3d soundstage, because it's one of the reasons I want a Full-size can.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #24,075 of 29,490
i guess it dosent really matter, i go out sometimes but ill probably get iems for that later, im mostly a couch potato :D... so im thinking as long as it can plug into my computer its fine.. What do you know about the akg k267, the 167 is around 170$ and it dosent seem like that would be much of an upgrade? are the 267 easy to amp ? what would i need to amp those i can get that around 350$

btw would you say 300$ is a good deal for the fidelio?
and what about the t50rp mad dog?

anyways thanks again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back