++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #24,048 of 29,490
Quote:
I listen primarily to electronic music, portability would be a nice feature.
As I know open-back headphones wont ever isolate you from outside noise, so idk
Also I dont have any amp, only iPod touch.

If you want portability, open cans make no sense. Not only are they huge they leak noise to everyone around you. At best you could get smaller semi-open cans like the Fidelio L1 but it's still pretty big.

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #24,049 of 29,490
If you want portability, open cans make no sense. Not only are they huge they leak noise to everyone around you. At best you could get smaller semi-open cans like the Fidelio L1 but it's still pretty big.

I've said "would be a nice feature" this is not a must.
Any ideas about (semi)open cans under 150$ that can be driven with iPod?

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #24,050 of 29,490
Ok so I am brand new to this site and I figured why not ask the best headphone site for help haha. I recently own soul by ludacris SL150's which i know are not perfect for audiophiles, but I like the extra bass. I am looking for a headphone that has more bass than the SL150's, but not muddy bass like the beats by dre studio. I know I am only listing rapper designs, but that is because that is what i have heard. I listen to rap and hip-hop, as well as dub step and techo music. Never rock or others. I am looking for headphones very good on bass, but that does not give up all of the mids and highs. I would like an over the ear headphone that is comfortable. I would not use an amp because I would be carrying these around a lot. I have heard alot about the M50's but do not know if they have enough bass unamped. I have a 200 dollar price range, because then i could get the soul SL300's, which i assume there is more bass. I loved the SL150's, they just did not have enough bass and broke on me... I am more than willing to go to any brand, I just want a headphone that looks decent, and that sounds good.

P.S- Also, noise canceling would be very helpful! But by no means necessary, as long as the passive noise cancelation works well enough. I use my headphones to drown out my roommate singing, and his music blasting. And the soul sl150's could block out all of that, but noise cancelation would just be nice. 

Thank you very much in advance!

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #24,051 of 29,490
I'm looking for something under 100 Pounds. Genres: Trance, House, Rock, Metal, Classical, Synthpop, watching movies. The phones are for home use, need to be very comfy for prolonged listening sessions, reasonably sturdy, should not require an amp, though I am willing to buy one if there is no other way.
I submitted a bigger thread a dozen pages ago, I am going for a concise request this time.

Thanks for your time!

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #24,052 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for a headphone that has more bass than the SL150's, but not muddy bass like the beats by dre studio.

Bass-emphasis and muddy sound go hand in hand, unfortunately. It's the reason why I can't stand bassy cans, even though I listen to a fair amount of metal and dubstep. But if you're wanting Beats-level bass, I doubt you will find much help here. Beats have a 20db boost in the bass and that's far higher than any of the "bass-head" cans (HFI-580, DT770/80, M100) that will be recommended by people here. It's just a muddy mess.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #24,053 of 29,490
Ultrasone HFI 780 or PRO 750 would both be good. HFI 780 would be a better portable option, but the PRO 750 might have a wider soundstage. Ultrasones are known for bass, but these two (particularly the 780) are fairly balanced compared to some others.  You just have to keep an eye out for a good deal, as Amazon's prices jumped significantly lately. B&H are probably cheapest if you go that route, and they're decent to deal with.

I haven't heard the Shure.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #24,054 of 29,490
question, i have never heard a good set of headphones, im thinking of jumping in and getting the HE-500's with my income tax before i blow it on something stupid, and waiting  couple weeks and getting the Woo audio WA7, as someone who has only owned sp2500 speakers from corsair, is this right to do or should i start lower then the he-500's. say the he-400's and maybe fiio or schiit mm combo? i enjoy jazz, ambient, female vocal, occasional hip hop, acoustic. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #24,055 of 29,490
Hello everyone..

I'm looking for some new headphones, mainly for portable use straight out of my iPod Touch 4G.
Currently I own: Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm's and SHURE SE215 IEM's.

Even though I have the SHURE's, I prefer to only use them in certain situations as IEMS just aren't comfortable enough for me.
However I am looking for something that isolates sound quite well (inside and out).
I would also possibly consider active noise cancelling headphones.

My budget is around 200 euros.
I even considered the DT770 32Ohm edition as I love my beyers quite a bit.

Advise please, it is appreciated! :)

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #24,056 of 29,490
Quote:
question, i have never heard a good set of headphones, im thinking of jumping in and getting the HE-500's with my income tax before i blow it on something stupid, and waiting  couple weeks and getting the Woo audio WA7, as someone who has only owned sp2500 speakers from corsair, is this right to do or should i start lower then the he-500's. say the he-400's and maybe fiio or schiit mm combo? i enjoy jazz, ambient, female vocal, occasional hip hop, acoustic. 

If you have the money, go straight to the HE-500.  Just know they won't sound like they should until they are properly amped.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #24,057 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm currently in the same boat and have made my leap. However I do have a good understanding of good sound having lived with my brother for a number of years who is a consummate audiophile. Really, he is the worst kind. I didn't know how bad it bit me until I was totally without.

I did have some Shure SE500/SE530s until they died about a month or so ago.  I've got no tunes and I'm really starting to freak out. Well, I have the A161s, but they don't really count. I'm just using them for listening to tunes/audio books at the gym.   I'm getting serious shakes and twitches... can't get off these forums and stop reading reviews. So with my brothers connections I got a great deal on the HD800's and they're on their way. I have a Shiit Lyr and Bifrost on the way as well.  I also have a Schiit Asgard I'm working to get my hands on via the trade forums here (for comparison purposes). 

Speaking of which, I gotta call headphone bar... they seem to be great Canadian presence for the Schiit product line.

I completely forgot about income tax! I'm thinking I may have to get a bit smart and use it to put a dent in the debt I'm busy racking up.  Gotta slow this train wreck down. I haven't even even received or auditioned anything and I'm still on the prowl.  Nothing can get here fast enough.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #24,058 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone..

I'm looking for some new headphones, mainly for portable use straight out of my iPod Touch 4G.
Currently I own: Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm's and SHURE SE215 IEM's.

Even though I have the SHURE's, I prefer to only use them in certain situations as IEMS just aren't comfortable enough for me.
However I am looking for something that isolates sound quite well (inside and out).
I would also possibly consider active noise cancelling headphones.

My budget is around 200 euros.
I even considered the DT770 32Ohm edition as I love my beyers quite a bit.

Advise please, it is appreciated! :)

What sound signature are you seeking (my guess is bassy)?

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #24,059 of 29,490
Quote:
What sound signature are you seeking (my guess is bassy)?

Hmmm that is a good question. I've had the following headphones and I've loved them all :p
Sennheiser HD555
Grado SR60
Beyerdynamic DT770's.

All with different purposes I guess... But I do really love the sound of my beyers and their comfort level.
Reading through the website I've actually started to wonder if I should buy a decent headphone amp instead and just carry around the DT770s I currently have :p

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #24,060 of 29,490
Hi guys.

I am looking for my First pair of headphones.

All I have are a paira of sennheiser px100 a bit overused.

I have a budget of 200 euros.

My maintain concerns is sound Quality. They will be plugged to my Colorfly c3 and my audiolab amp.

What models should I see? I thinking over ears have better sq correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back