++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #24,001 of 29,490
I would really recommend throwing down some extra money to get the M50's, theyre durable and have extremely good quality for the price. Besides I don't know your personal preferences mate, tell me what is important for you in a headphone and I will be glad to help out:)

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #24,004 of 29,490
Hi Chaps
After some somewhat thorough research I have eyes set on the DT990 Pro (32 ohm). I need opinions from people who have similar priced/quality cans with low impedence and how they work with an iPod/laptop and any alternatives such as the custom one pros or the 32 Ohm 770's/880's or other brands.
Many thanks

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #24,005 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
With what you already have, you should save an extra $200 and get the HE-500.

However, if you want to spend just under $500 now, the Grado RS-2i is a good choice.

How do you compare the Grado RS-2i to the Senns' and the Beyers? Is the HE-500 really worth the extra 200$ and how well does it perform in rock and classical? Btw to take note the Senn's 650 are now on amazon.com for 413$. Wish me good luck in convincing my dad to allow me to get headphones for 700$ even though I myself have the money for it :p

Note: these are going to be my first audiophile grade headphones which is why it is hard to convince my parents to allow me to pay so much for headphones, even though it is okay for them to spend 2000$ on speakers and vinyl player and amps. haha:) Thanks for help anyway!

Coming from the other side of the age (and financial) divide, I'm not sure I should help you to spend more money--especially if its not yours.

That said; the RS 2i is very different from the other two.  It's ear cups are wood encased, which I believe accounts from its very natural and organic sound.  It's sound state is more airy and dispersed than the other two--more like the Q701.  Without nearing basshead territory, its bass is very much present--much more than anything in the downline Grado SR cans.  The only thing that have caused some trouble is the treble, which some find can be harsh or even sibilant.

The HE-500 is simply the very best can within about $200 of its price range--and maybe more.  It is a beautiful and near complete presentation of a neutral sound signature that works for all genres of music.

This thread reviews & covers all the cans discussed:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_RS2I

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #24,006 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys.

I've been wearing a pair of Sennheiser HD485's I bought in early 2009. They've served me quite well and some people have differing opinions, but I really like the sound of these, and I'm looking for something similar to replace them since they are out of production. These phones have been through quite a few rounds of hell and they are in really bad shape, and have been relegated to desk duty where they probably belonged in the first place.

I'm looking for something to replace them with a max. price range of $130 (the 485's list price).

I purchased a pair of HD448's in 2011 and I really don't like them. They sound nice, but they don't provide enough compression for me, since Senn has gone for a "lighter and sleeker" approach to headphone  design, thus there's no in-between for too small and enough pressure to hold them to my head and provide enough seal to sound good without holding them. I don't know if there's a guerilla solution to that problem, but they basically sit unused since I've got an acceptable pair of IEMs for portable use.

I want something to replace the 485's for desk duty that might sound similar, but these always fell flat on the high end, a fact the 448's brought to my attention. A long cord, detachable is a plus, I don't mind if a headphone starts off with a lot of pressure like Senn's used to, I think it's why these 485's sit so well. I'm guessing open-back will contribute t'words the sound I want, as well. Not really brand loyal after the 448's and just have no idea what to expect with other brands.

I do not listen through an amplifier, I use an old Audigy II ZS card in my computer, but it can drive these headphones dangerously high, so I think I might be able to play with a bit more impedence, but not much.

Thank you for your advice.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #24,007 of 29,490
Quote:

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Well, the 485 are open...

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #24,009 of 29,490
Quote:

LOVE YOUR ICON!!!!

Hi to all, first time poster, although I've known about and read from this site for almost a year now.

I was hoping for a little advice. I have a pair of HD595's, and I simply love everything there is about these cans (soundstage, warmth, everything!).

I recently had to give up my ATH-M50's, so I ordered a pair of Momentums, and upon receiving them today, I love the sound, but it will take a little bit of time adjusting my ears to the narrow soundstage and somewhat recessed tone that these cans have.

That being said, I'm looking to purchase a second pair of closed ear cans that match the way my HD595's sound as close as possible.
I'm not sure how the HD25-1 II's or the HD25-SP II's compare. Any thoughts? Any recommendations on other models?

I'm looking to spend in the $200-300 range.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #24,011 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Yes--but they leak very little from what I have read about them--much less than the average open can.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #24,012 of 29,490
Hello together,

i really like the sound of my Sennheiser HD540 Rerference II.
The Problem: I don't like it's fit - i prefer the newer series, e.g. HD515 (but don't like its sound).

Is there a Headphone, which sounds nearly similar? 
I tried 558, but it wasn't that satisfying (imho less Detail, much more bass, but still sounded a little bit boring).

Any Ideas?

Thanx in advance
flatulenzio
blink.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #24,013 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

LOVE YOUR ICON!!!!

Hi to all, first time poster, although I've known about and read from this site for almost a year now.

I was hoping for a little advice. I have a pair of HD595's, and I simply love everything there is about these cans (soundstage, warmth, everything!).

I recently had to give up my ATH-M50's, so I ordered a pair of Momentums, and upon receiving them today, I love the sound, but it will take a little bit of time adjusting my ears to the narrow soundstage and somewhat recessed tone that these cans have.

That being said, I'm looking to purchase a second pair of closed ear cans that match the way my HD595's sound as close as possible.
I'm not sure how the HD25-1 II's or the HD25-SP II's compare. Any thoughts? Any recommendations on other models?

I'm looking to spend in the $200-300 range.

There is no direct comparable.  The Shure SRH 940 may be the closest within your budget (and they need to be amped).

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #24,014 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello together,

i really like the sound of my Sennheiser HD540 Rerference II.
The Problem: I don't like it's fit - i prefer the newer series, e.g. HD515 (but don't like its sound).

Is there a Headphone, which sounds nearly similar? 
I tried 558, but it wasn't that satisfying (imho less Detail, much more bass, but still sounded a little bit boring).

Any Ideas?

Thanx in advance
flatulenzio
blink.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Most of us have not heard the Sennheiser HD540 Rerference II.  Is it about ten years or more old?  My guess is that it is a mid-centric can.

In any case you'll have to describe its sound signature for us to help.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #24,015 of 29,490
I'm looking for headphones that have good bass but not so much that it makes everything else unbalanced. I want headphones to listen to on the go and sometimes at home. I listen to christian rap. I'm thinking about getting the SHURE SRH750 DJ. Is that a good choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back