++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #23,986 of 29,490
Looking for a new set sub-$300.

I tend to prefer a bit of heavier bass, but only really so much that I don't start sacrificing mid clarity or soundstage to get it. A bit of impact is necessary, something around the level of the DT770s. Enough so I can feel it, but nothing overkill.

I listen to a very wide range of music, but I'd say classical and electronic are the most common.
The best way I can describe my preferences would be to list headphones I have used in the past.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80 Ohm. The bass is about where I like it, and the comfort is great. The soundstage is a bit smaller than I would care for, but not by too much.

ATH-M50s were too closed off and a little too bassy for my taste. Soundstage wasn't quite there, definitely one of the bigger negatives.
The comfort was also not quite what I was looking for with long sessions of use.

AKG-701s had about the soundstage I like, and the right clarity for mids and highs, however the bass was far too lacking for my preference.

I used HD590s fairly far in the past, so I don't remember everything exactly, however I believe it had my favorite soundstage but was a bit too bright overall with a weaker bass than I like.

Overall, I would say I favor 'fun' over pure accuracy, but not so much 'fun' that it degrades the quality.

Currently looking at the Beyerdynamic series, Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, and Shure's closed series, however I am open to suggestions of any brand.
Does not necessarily need to be closed as long as the bass is there.
Using an Asus Xonar Essence STX as my primary source, so anything up to 600 ohms should work out fine.

Any insight would be awesome.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #23,987 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some headphones for around $150-200, I listen to mostly rock & rap. They will be amped with a fiio e9 or schiit magni, and they can be open or closed. I have been looking at a couple headphones like:

DT770 Pro 80
DT770 Pro 250
Sennheiser HD598

All suggestions are appreciated thanks.

I'd toss out the first one.

The DT 770 and Senn HD 598 are very different.  What sound signature do you seek?

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #23,988 of 29,490
I am long time Music/High End Audio nut. I lost everything in the 2011 Brisbane floods including my entire music collection. However I am now Mac based and wanting to get back into it with the headphone scene. I have been ogling a pair of the Sennheiser HD800 for a very good price. However my collectiuon is now entirely iTunes based and funds are limited.

I have the following equipment.

MacBook Pro retina 15 with B&W MM-1 desktop speakers. For headphones I use IEM Shure SE535's played out of the dedicated Headphone amp in the MM-1's. I am thinking of going to a Audioquest Dragon Fly DAC to drive the HD800's - not ideal I understand. Any suggestions would be most welcome please.

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #23,989 of 29,490
I am looking for a sub 500$ headphones for rock and classical. I already have an amp and am mainly looking for comfort and precision in sound. It can be neutral but a bit of coloring in the bass, mid zone won't hurt. Current headphones - Beyer DT8880 600Ohm, Sennheiser HD650, HD600, Audiotechnica AD9000 (I know these are 200$) and I've glanced at some other pairs but am not sure. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #23,990 of 29,490
Quote:
I am long time Music/High End Audio nut. I lost everything in the 2011 Brisbane floods including my entire music collection. However I am now Mac based and wanting to get back into it with the headphone scene. I have been ogling a pair of the Sennheiser HD800 for a very good price. However my collectiuon is now entirely iTunes based and funds are limited.

I have the following equipment.

MacBook Pro retina 15 with B&W MM-1 desktop speakers. For headphones I use IEM Shure SE535's played out of the dedicated Headphone amp in the MM-1's. I am thinking of going to a Audioquest Dragon Fly DAC to drive the HD800's - not ideal I understand. Any suggestions would be most welcome please.

The HD 800 is price way north of $1,000, which places it on the turf on the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #23,991 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for a sub 500$ headphones for rock and classical. I already have an amp and am mainly looking for comfort and precision in sound. It can be neutral but a bit of coloring in the bass, mid zone won't hurt. Current headphones - Beyer DT8880 600Ohm, Sennheiser HD650, HD600, Audiotechnica AD9000 (I know these are 200$) and I've glanced at some other pairs but am not sure. 

With what you already have, you should save an extra $200 and get the HE-500.

However, if you want to spend just under $500 now, the Grado RS-2i is a good choice.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #23,992 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a new set sub-$300.

I tend to prefer a bit of heavier bass, but only really so much that I don't start sacrificing mid clarity or soundstage to get it. A bit of impact is necessary, something around the level of the DT770s. Enough so I can feel it, but nothing overkill.

I listen to a very wide range of music, but I'd say classical and electronic are the most common.
The best way I can describe my preferences would be to list headphones I have used in the past.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80 Ohm. The bass is about where I like it, and the comfort is great. The soundstage is a bit smaller than I would care for, but not by too much.

ATH-M50s were too closed off and a little too bassy for my taste. Soundstage wasn't quite there, definitely one of the bigger negatives.
The comfort was also not quite what I was looking for with long sessions of use.

AKG-701s had about the soundstage I like, and the right clarity for mids and highs, however the bass was far too lacking for my preference.

I used HD590s fairly far in the past, so I don't remember everything exactly, however I believe it had my favorite soundstage but was a bit too bright overall with a weaker bass than I like.

Overall, I would say I favor 'fun' over pure accuracy, but not so much 'fun' that it degrades the quality.

Currently looking at the Beyerdynamic series, Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, and Shure's closed series, however I am open to suggestions of any brand.
Does not necessarily need to be closed as long as the bass is there.
Using an Asus Xonar Essence STX as my primary source, so anything up to 600 ohms should work out fine.

Any insight would be awesome.

I think I can simplify my question a little bit for a TLDR version:

Would the Beyer DT990 Pro 250 be too much of a step down from the bass impact of the DT770 Pro 80 to justify their other qualities?
What of the sound bleed between them?

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #23,993 of 29,490
Quote:
With what you already have, you should save an extra $200 and get the HE-500.

However, if you want to spend just under $500 now, the Grado RS-2i is a good choice.

How do you compare the Grado RS-2i to the Senns' and the Beyers? Is the HE-500 really worth the extra 200$ and how well does it perform in rock and classical? Btw to take note the Senn's 650 are now on amazon.com for 413$. Wish me good luck in convincing my dad to allow me to get headphones for 700$ even though I myself have the money for it :p

Note: these are going to be my first audiophile grade headphones which is why it is hard to convince my parents to allow me to pay so much for headphones, even though it is okay for them to spend 2000$ on speakers and vinyl player and amps. haha:) Thanks for help anyway!

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #23,994 of 29,490
Hi guys.

I've been wearing a pair of Sennheiser HD485's I bought in early 2009. They've served me quite well and some people have differing opinions, but I really like the sound of these, and I'm looking for something similar to replace them since they are out of production. These phones have been through quite a few rounds of hell and they are in really bad shape, and have been relegated to desk duty where they probably belonged in the first place.

I'm looking for something to replace them with a max. price range of $130 (the 485's list price).

I purchased a pair of HD448's in 2011 and I really don't like them. They sound nice, but they don't provide enough compression for me, since Senn has gone for a "lighter and sleeker" approach to headphone  design, thus there's no in-between for too small and enough pressure to hold them to my head and provide enough seal to sound good without holding them. I don't know if there's a guerilla solution to that problem, but they basically sit unused since I've got an acceptable pair of IEMs for portable use.

I want something to replace the 485's for desk duty that might sound similar, but these always fell flat on the high end, a fact the 448's brought to my attention. A long cord, detachable is a plus, I don't mind if a headphone starts off with a lot of pressure like Senn's used to, I think it's why these 485's sit so well. I'm guessing open-back will contribute t'words the sound I want, as well. Not really brand loyal after the 448's and just have no idea what to expect with other brands.

I do not listen through an amplifier, I use an old Audigy II ZS card in my computer, but it can drive these headphones dangerously high, so I think I might be able to play with a bit more impedence, but not much.

Thank you for your advice.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #23,995 of 29,490
I'm thinking about buying a gaming headset. My price range would probably be $75-125, maybe more if it's worth it. I have a pair of ATH-M50's that I got recently, they're great for music but not very good for gaming, I would like a better sound stage and I'm looking for something open, and definitely circumaural because I hate stuff pressing on my ears. The main reason I want a headset is because I need a microphone. I have a cheap microphone now but I can NOT stand to use a microphone or talk at all when wearing closed headphones, it drives me crazy not being able to hear myself. I would have to monitor my own voice through the headphones and I don't know how to do that with zero latency. Another option would be buying some open headphones like the Sennheiser HD 518's and using a Blue Snowball or something, but that's twice what I want to spend... (plus microphone = extra desk clutter)

I'm using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro as my sound card which has one 1/4" headphone jack, but I guess if I got a headset with 3.5mm jacks, I could just put 1/4 adapters on either one and plug the mic into one of the inputs, right? I don't want to have to buy another sound card just for a headset.

I do NOT want a surround headset. (the kind with multiple speakers per earcup) Virtual surround maybe. I don't really want any frills, just something durable and comfortable. Mic doesn't have to be super high quality, just something that doesn't suck and does a really good job isolating background noise. All the "gaming" branded headsets I see just disgust me, they look like they're marketed to 12 year olds and like they would probably sound horrible, that's why I've been reluctant to think about buying one. I would like something with a more or less flat sound, a little bit bass heavy is okay.

So what do you think would be the best solution for me, and could I have some model recommendations? Will I find anything good at my price range? *sigh* Just don't suggest I go out and buy something that's $400...

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #23,996 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying a gaming headset. My price range would probably be $75-125, maybe more if it's worth it. I have a pair of ATH-M50's that I got recently, they're great for music but not very good for gaming, I would like a better sound stage and I'm looking for something open, and definitely circumaural because I hate stuff pressing on my ears. The main reason I want a headset is because I need a microphone. I have a cheap microphone now but I can NOT stand to use a microphone or talk at all when wearing closed headphones, it drives me crazy not being able to hear myself. I would have to monitor my own voice through the headphones and I don't know how to do that with zero latency. Another option would be buying some open headphones like the Sennheiser HD 518's and using a Blue Snowball or something, but that's twice what I want to spend... (plus microphone = extra desk clutter)

I'm using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro as my sound card which has one 1/4" headphone jack, but I guess if I got a headset with 3.5mm jacks, I could just put 1/4 adapters on either one and plug the mic into one of the inputs, right? I don't want to have to buy another sound card just for a headset.

I do NOT want a surround headset. (the kind with multiple speakers per earcup) Virtual surround maybe. I don't really want any frills, just something durable and comfortable. Mic doesn't have to be super high quality, just something that doesn't suck and does a really good job isolating background noise. All the "gaming" branded headsets I see just disgust me, they look like they're marketed to 12 year olds and like they would probably sound horrible, that's why I've been reluctant to think about buying one. I would like something with a more or less flat sound, a little bit bass heavy is okay.

So what do you think would be the best solution for me, and could I have some model recommendations? Will I find anything good at my price range? *sigh* Just don't suggest I go out and buy something that's $400...

Get a Sennheiser HD598 with a Zalman clip on mic. Amazon has good prices for both of these. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Headphones-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359376423&sr=8-1&keywords=hd598
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=pd_sim_e_6

These sennheisers are one of the most comfortable open ear headphones at this price range:):). If you want something cheaper check out the Audio Technica AD900.

Cheers!

One of the reviewers added this about the mic for better performance.
"I got this microphone because of all the good reviews it got. Some people say people can't hear them, etc. This is true until you turn up the mic volume and give it boost. You have to go into your Realtek HD settings for the microphone. Once in there, check all the noise, echo, directional suppression boxes. Then it will ask to calibrate and you have to read some sentences. Put the meter to about 40. Also in the settings there is a mic boost option. I used it all the way to the +30 decibals. Now, the mic works excellent and is a tolerable level and sounds very clear. Make sure you at least check echo suppression if you don't do the others, otherwise you will just hear static. But for the price this mic rocks. Beware the cord is double the length of a twin size bed."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back