++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 26, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #23,926 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Okay so I am looking for a new pair of headphones for home use with my PC. These headphones will be used for Studio Mixing via 1/4", listening to music and gaming via Astro Mixamp. I have picked out a few headphones just wondering what would be the better choice. Shure SRH840 or AKG Q701, Any other suggestions would be okay. Price Range is $250 or below. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I also use a Behringer 502 5 Channel Mixer with a AT2020 (If the microphone matters..). And I listen to computer sound through the mixer as well. And I have a Fiio E6 I use with my Klipsch S4. Not sure if the E6 would make a difference as a weak amp. I plan on getting a Fiio E11 or something in that price range. I also use the Astro Mixamp when gaming.

Wouldnt buy the Q701 cause the K701 are allmost the same for much less money. You should also take a look at the Beyersynamic Dt800 600Ohm.

In the U.S., the Q701 can be had for $230 +/-, which is significantly cheaper than the price of its K brothers 701/2.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #23,927 of 29,490
Quote:
In the U.S., the Q701 can be had for $230 +/-, which is significantly cheaper than the price of its K brothers 701/2.

OK makes no sense for me why there are such differences between regions/prices 
blink.gif
... but not bad! than that's of course the better option!

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #23,928 of 29,490
i was not aware to post in this thread for advice, so i posted a new thread.
sorry for that

but anywayz

i am going to buy dt 880 600 ohms or 250 ohms with fiio e17 or a better dedicated desktop amp
(if u have some recomendations i am glad to read it)

But i have another question. I have here bose 901 speakers. I got it from my fam. Its
from the 2 series or 1 series i quess. So is pretty old. Like 25-30 years. But they sound wonderfull
i have a jvc dynamic stereo amp for it (maybe 10 years old. Do you think this amp can drive the dt880 600 ohm well?
i read on the back of the stero amp that it has only maximum of  4-16 ohm output and 8-16 ohm output.

another question, Is there a headphone that sounds like the bose 901? I know its a pretty dumb lame question. of course
headphones cant reproduce speaker sound. But when i heard the dt880 i was pretty impressed to buy my
first headphone because of the clarirty etc. the only thing missimg was the bass, but i heard it unamped. so can
a stereo amp provide bass for the dt800 600 ohm?

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #23,929 of 29,490
Quote:

I originally thought this as well... but as a D100 owner there is only one possibility I could think of...

The D100 has been described as very analytical and the amp section as a little polite (but linear) with the bass.  I have noticed my own high impedance cans to be a little bit lighter on the bass with the D100 than other amps (although not a lot...)  It really was the main reason for me ordering a high end dedicated amplifier to pair with the D100's excellent balanced capable DAC.

So that could explain why the HD650 feels a little bass-light, yes? Of course, it fails to explain why it seems bass-light in comparison to the HD598.  However, if he is using the HD598 out of the low impedance output (logically) there could be an impedance mismatch issue (low Z output is built in series with a 40 some ohm resistor) and distortion is often heard as accentuated bass.  This mismatch could also explain why he might find the headphone fatiguing... maybe the mismatch is causing some sort of upper midrange or high frequency peak/distortion.

In all honesty, I wouldn't think the potential for the impedance mismatch with the HD598 combined with the reference for the HD650 out of the high impedance output (cleaner, and potentially audibly more bass light) could cause that drastic of a difference, but you never know.  This can be easily investigated by trying the HD598 out of the high impedance output (careful) and checking the sonic results... and maybe try both phones out of both outputs.

If you notice the sound improves with the HD598, or even that the bass decreases and the sound becomes less fatiguing... I'd say the money would be better spent on a nice amp to match with the D100 (heard good things about the matching A100 which is well under budget and leaves room for cans as well, or the A18 which is a little above the 700 mark).  If you still feel the same way about the HD598 and HD 650 and hear no sonic differences between the outputs, then I'd recommend new headphones all together.

I personally don't think those headphones are the best for rap music... but let's make sure it isn't the D100's amp section that's bugging you, because then getting a new can won't solve your problem
wink_face.gif

Also make sure the sound file itself is in good shape.  Rap music has a bad reputation for being not only recorded poorly, but often compressed and encoded poorly.  If the files were downloaded I'd check on those

Firstly thank you very much for your time and effort offering your very valuable advice! :)

1) You know it’s quite funny that you mention that, because I previously convinced myself that this Yulong D100 has made all my headphones sound analytical, thin, cold.. whatever the correct term is for it. Hence, I have made a conscious decision to eventually upgrade to a La Figaro 339 tube amp – hoping this will provide a warmer smooth sound that I think I much prefer.

2) I have always played around with both impedance outputs however never stopped to think about what you’ve mentioned. This is what I found:
Low Output:
- HD598’s bass is definitely punchier than the HD650s. I’m not sure if it is distortion as you mentioned, however I just seems like a punch to me – nothing really crackly or anything distorting.
- The HD650s don’t appear as much punchy bass, but I can tell it has more rumbling sub bass etc. Further, the midrange seems a little more veiled from this output compare to the high output.
High Output:
HD598s have much less “punchy bass” here so I tend to never use them here. However, this output really does open up the midrange etc. and sound much better. I guess it is maybe a little less fatiguing then before.
- The HD650s sound much much better out of here and the veil is almost gone now. Again, HD650s have the same amount of bass as before – very little punch, but not bad sub bass rumble etc.

3) 
- I, like yourself, am questionable of the Amp section of the Yulong to making my music analytical and cold for my liking. So, if I was to connect the La Figaro 339 for example, would the amp section of the Yulong interfere with the La Figaro amp? Or would the Yulong D100 only use it’s DAC section and not use any of its amp section? In other words should I get a whole new (hopefully neutral) DAC? 
- On a side note, how do the balanced ports work? Is the best way to connect another high end amp through these balanced ports? Sorry I’ve got no idea about this yet.

4) As for music quality, I’ve been trying to download FLAC files only. Also keep in mind, I do listen to other genres which I would probably keep the HD650s for and hopefully complement with a hard punching open can for my "bassy" music.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #23,930 of 29,490
Quote:
There's something wrong here.  The only ways that the HD 650 has less bass than the HD 598 are that you have a defective HD 650 or (and this is much more likely) that you aren't giving the HD 650 sufficient power to drive them properly.  There is almost certainly something(s) in your system, staring with your music file to the last piece of equipment to the cans, that is problematic.

I will also add that very few people have found the HD 598 to be fatiquing.

Your description of the D5000 is reasonable, although I don't happen to share it; at least not in degree.

I don't share your taste in music, but for $700 (in the U.S.) I would recommend almost everyone to get the HE 500--and make sure you can drive it properly.

Thank you for your response - really appreciate it.

Hmm that is quite odd then that I am different to everyone else. I try to use only FLAC files so that shouldn't be the problem. Also note that I am saying the HD598s definitely appear to have more PUNCH. The HD650s have deeper bass overall but definitely less punch on my Yulong D100MK2. In terms of fatigue, I find this only when I turn the volume up high (which I tend to do a lot) where the vocals are just too overpowering for my preference on my HD598s.

R-Audiohead mentioned that my Yulong D100 is analytical and perhaps creating the reduced bass punch on HD650s? I also feel this might be the case as my Denons felt very recessed in the midrange due to its analytical nature - however the bass was quite punchy on the Denons - so I am still not sure. I will hopefully look at a powerful warm tube amp eventually which might help out/tell us if this was the problem.

Thank you for your recommendation of HE500. I will definitely look into it - from what I've read, it has everything one would want in a headphone. Lets just hope it has some hard punching bass for my ears :p

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #23,931 of 29,490
As a newbie to the market, I'm looking for a pair of cans that are preferably closed, and therefore minimal leakage, looking for high quality cans that will be used predominantly with an iPod/laptop and without an amp either full size or portable. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, dub, electronic, progressive and the like. I'm looking to spend about $300. I'm open to any brand although Sennheiser, Beyersdynamic and AKG as I have easy access to said suppliers. On a side note, what is the general consensus on Beats and Bose? Many thanks chaps

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #23,932 of 29,490
Quote:
As a newbie to the market, I'm looking for a pair of cans that are preferably closed, and therefore minimal leakage, looking for high quality cans that will be used predominantly with an iPod/laptop and without an amp either full size or portable. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, dub, electronic, progressive and the like. I'm looking to spend about $300. I'm open to any brand although Sennheiser, Beyersdynamic and AKG as I have easy access to said suppliers. On a side note, what is the general consensus on Beats and Bose? Many thanks chaps

Don't like bose but I think beats wireless is quite good for a wireless can.. haven't tried the other beats models (I have the beats for working out cause they got punch and the "audiophily" is not that important while hitting the weights!). I think akg (I had the k 701) has not that much bass and is not suitable. Sennheiser hd 650 which I currently own is really good in bass (but not that xtremely poerfull as beats) but MUCH clearer and overall MUCH better in sound quality! but they are both best for home use.. so maybe if you want something portable the new momentum is a choice but i havent tried it. haven't tried Beyerdynamic. So I would say the HD650 would be most likely the best choice for your music but its maybe hard to drive without amp and open. ( on the other hand I tried it with a htc one x+.. worked without problems)

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #23,933 of 29,490
Hello everybody, 

I have just gotten into the audiophile community and after some research and some visits at different stores I have come here to ask for any recommendations for Full Size headphones (max 500$, doesnt matter to me if they're closed or open as long as I can listen to them without any discomfort after many hours). I already have a pretty full size amp/dac from Denon, which sounds really nice imo (might get a headphone amp/dac just for the headphones later if I want it). I listen to classical, folk, rock, and various techno genres and I really enjoy having good mids and bass, and the high frequencies not biting my ears as it sometimes happens. I have looked at the Hifiman HE 400, Sennheiser 650 and the Denon AH-D600.

^^ Please help me out as I am really unexperienced and dont want to waste any money for something that I dont want. I have listened to the AH-D600's and they simply sound amazing but I have not heard the HD650's or the HIFIMAN's. How would you compare these headphones and, which other headphones in this price range would you recommend. I am open to any suggestions and mainly want to use these headphones for home use and am aiming for quality. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #23,934 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everybody, 

I have just gotten into the audiophile community and after some research and some visits at different stores I have come here to ask for any recommendations for Full Size headphones (max 500$, doesnt matter to me if they're closed or open as long as I can listen to them without any discomfort after many hours). I already have a pretty full size amp/dac from Denon, which sounds really nice imo (might get a headphone amp/dac just for the headphones later if I want it). I listen to classical, folk, rock, and various techno genres and I really enjoy having good mids and bass, and the high frequencies not biting my ears as it sometimes happens. I have looked at the Hifiman HE 400, Sennheiser 650 and the Denon AH-D600.

^^ Please help me out as I am really unexperienced and dont want to waste any money for something that I dont want. I have listened to the AH-D600's and they simply sound amazing but I have not heard the HD650's or the HIFIMAN's. How would you compare these headphones and, which other headphones in this price range would you recommend. I am open to any suggestions and mainly want to use these headphones for home use and am aiming for quality. 

I can tell the difference between the HE-400 and Audio Tehnica ath-m50 in a week or so. When they have been shipped over seas. Not that the m50 is in your way or anything. Others may have a replay sooner tho. :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #23,935 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everybody, 

I have the HD650. U should really try them if u can cause they might suit your taste and fit your preferences. But unfortunately i haven't tried the other ones.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #23,936 of 29,490
Im not sure whether the m50's can compare to these cans, correct me if I'm wrong, but yes I did have some intensive research done on the M50's but the main problem with them is that they sound really well with Techno music but don't perform well in genres where more detail would be required (classical, acoustic guitar), but yeah I might get the M50's someday due to the fact that they are so popular among many audiophiles. Thanks :) However I am more interested in higher end headphones now due to the fact that my father is also going to use them and I would like an overall really well sounding headphones in most genres under 500$. Thanks for the replies:))

Do you already have the HE-400 or the ATH M50's? Because I'm really interested in hearing what the HE 400's sound like in comparison to other headphones.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #23,937 of 29,490
Greetings Head-fi.org

First I'd like to thank you for providing so much information and knowledge on this site through the posts. I have read many of them, but a clear solution that integrates my few but important requirements for this purchase still eludes me. I'll provide below what I believe I am looking for and explain the reason why as this may be helpful as well.

The general purpose for these headphones is to wear at work. There is a buzz from the air vents, and a general irregular (footsteps / hallway conversations) ambiance I wish to block out more and focus. Often I will listen to Jazz, Funk, and classical music. Sometimes I will listen to nothing and want something to block out noise. 

I am not fixed on noise cancelation, but not opposed to it. I would rather have wonderful sounding headphones that block out enough noise to "feel" in my own world, rather than OK sounding ones that block out incrementally more. My price range is from $150 - $500.

I value quality, but if for example a $200 pair will be giving me an 90% quality of a $400 pair I would go with the former.

---

Based on the above I am looking for:

1. "clearly"  over the ear and extremely comfortable      

For Comfort and duration of use. I write "clearly" because my ears while not giant are larger than normal: 3" about, and any pressure or restrictive feeling I find distracting. Comfort and clearance of the ears is paramount. I want a "world" in there. :--D

Portability is a plus, but definitely of secondary importance.

2. Closed Headphones

I am in an office (in my own cubicle) but with adjacent cubes 4 feet away. I can't have sound leakage for courtesy reasons.

3. No Massive Impedence - iphone "compatible"

4. I have to plug into to my iphone and computer 1/8 " ports. I understand based on these sources that a $500 pair of headphones may be ridiculous. i.e. I am paying for a fidelity reproduction not in the source itself. However, I am not sure hence my deferment of judgement to head - fi.

---

I have been considering the sennheiser mm 550 for $300. I am however not sure if it meets criteria #1. My Dad had a Senn phone in the 90's that were giant with velour pads and extremely comfortable. If there is a model they have with a closed back that meets the above criteria I would love to know about it.

I am also considering a Denon 2000, or 5000 but found they were discontinued. Moreover I am not sure how these relate to criteria #4.

I looked at the Bose qc 15 and tried them. They just feel so cheap. I wasn't blown away by the sound either and kind of want to be for this purchase.

---

I haven't written much about the type of sound I like. In short, at this level of headphone, I am not sure as I have never had a pair that really blew me away. I would err on the side of something warm but clear. 

Please let me know your thoughts, and if there are any questions I can answer. I erred on providing more information than necessary, so I hope this was helpful.

Thank you!

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #23,938 of 29,490
Quote:

Firstly thank you very much for your time and effort offering your very valuable advice! :)

1) You know it’s quite funny that you mention that, because I previously convinced myself that this Yulong D100 has made all my headphones sound analytical, thin, cold.. whatever the correct term is for it. Hence, I have made a conscious decision to eventually upgrade to a La Figaro 339 tube amp – hoping this will provide a warmer smooth sound that I think I much prefer.

2) I have always played around with both impedance outputs however never stopped to think about what you’ve mentioned. This is what I found:
Low Output:
- HD598’s bass is definitely punchier than the HD650s. I’m not sure if it is distortion as you mentioned, however I just seems like a punch to me – nothing really crackly or anything distorting.
- The HD650s don’t appear as much punchy bass, but I can tell it has more rumbling sub bass etc. Further, the midrange seems a little more veiled from this output compare to the high output.
High Output:
HD598s have much less “punchy bass” here so I tend to never use them here. However, this output really does open up the midrange etc. and sound much better. I guess it is maybe a little less fatiguing then before.
- The HD650s sound much much better out of here and the veil is almost gone now. Again, HD650s have the same amount of bass as before – very little punch, but not bad sub bass rumble etc.

3) 
- I, like yourself, am questionable of the Amp section of the Yulong to making my music analytical and cold for my liking. So, if I was to connect the La Figaro 339 for example, would the amp section of the Yulong interfere with the La Figaro amp? Or would the Yulong D100 only use it’s DAC section and not use any of its amp section? In other words should I get a whole new (hopefully neutral) DAC? 
- On a side note, how do the balanced ports work? Is the best way to connect another high end amp through these balanced ports? Sorry I’ve got no idea about this yet.

4) As for music quality, I’ve been trying to download FLAC files only. Also keep in mind, I do listen to other genres which I would probably keep the HD650s for and hopefully complement with a hard punching open can for my "bassy" music.

These results were about what I was expecting and gives a case for potential impedance mismatch.  Yes, a separate amplifier should absolutely solve your problem as the D100's internal amp will not be involved in the circuit and only the DAC section will be utilized.  I'm in the camp that believes you want your signal to be as neutral as possible as you get nearer and nearer to the source in the audio chain.  I think desired colorations are best achieved in the peripherals (amp or headphone).  If you're shooting for a warm signature, that 339 is a decent route and gives you the pleasure of tube rolling to tune your sound.  I'm more of a solid state guy myself, but to each their own... I also probably wouldn't go solid state if I wanted a warm sound signature.

As far as using the balanced outputs of the D100, there are benefits but the exact physics has been a topic of debate around the forums.  Subjectively, most people agree that a balanced headphone is either equal to (only reported in some cases) or better (more often reported) than your traditional single ended (your standard HP jack you're used to).  Of course, these subjective tests weren't performed perfectly and bias could likely be a factor.  Coming from a speaker background, I have still been scratching my head as to why this single ended wiring became a standard for headphones because theoretically it handicaps a few things - but it is likely economic in nature.  You need a specific XLR cable to use the balanced outputs of the DAC, which are line level just like the single ended RCAs.  Unfortunately, it looks as though the 339 accepts RCA (single ended) inputs only, so I wouldn't worry too much about the balancing thing if your heart is dead set on the 339.

I think the D100's amp is fine considering the price of the unit with the nicely implemented DAC, but I have found with picky and difficult to drive headphones that the amp section can run out of steam a bit.  I'd put the HD650 in the "moderately difficult to drive" and not necessarily "difficult" camp, but a discerning ear should hear the benefits of a better amp with the HD650, despite it being not overly picky... especially if you're hearing the differences we discussed between the single ended outputs of the D100.

My vote is to get your new amp and try the headphones on it before making a move on the new set of headphones.  Warm and bassy describes the HD650 pretty well... and that sound like what you're after.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #23,939 of 29,490
Quote:
Greetings Head-fi.org

First I'd like to thank you for providing so much information and knowledge on this site through the posts. I have read many of them, but a clear solution that integrates my few but important requirements for this purchase still eludes me. I'll provide below what I believe I am looking for and explain the reason why as this may be helpful as well.

The general purpose for these headphones is to wear at work. There is a buzz from the air vents, and a general irregular (footsteps / hallway conversations) ambiance I wish to block out more and focus. Often I will listen to Jazz, Funk, and classical music. Sometimes I will listen to nothing and want something to block out noise. 

I am not fixed on noise cancelation, but not opposed to it. I would rather have wonderful sounding headphones that block out enough noise to "feel" in my own world, rather than OK sounding ones that block out incrementally more. My price range is from $150 - $500.

I value quality, but if for example a $200 pair will be giving me an 90% quality of a $400 pair I would go with the former.

---

Based on the above I am looking for:

1. "clearly"  over the ear and extremely comfortable      

For Comfort and duration of use. I write "clearly" because my ears while not giant are larger than normal: 3" about, and any pressure or restrictive feeling I find distracting. Comfort and clearance of the ears is paramount. I want a "world" in there. :--D

Portability is a plus, but definitely of secondary importance.

2. Closed Headphones

I am in an office (in my own cubicle) but with adjacent cubes 4 feet away. I can't have sound leakage for courtesy reasons.

3. No Massive Impedence - iphone "compatible"

4. I have to plug into to my iphone and computer 1/8 " ports. I understand based on these sources that a $500 pair of headphones may be ridiculous. i.e. I am paying for a fidelity reproduction not in the source itself. However, I am not sure hence my deferment of judgement to head - fi.

---

I have been considering the sennheiser mm 550 for $300. I am however not sure if it meets criteria #1. My Dad had a Senn phone in the 90's that were giant with velour pads and extremely comfortable. If there is a model they have with a closed back that meets the above criteria I would love to know about it.

I am also considering a Denon 2000, or 5000 but found they were discontinued. Moreover I am not sure how these relate to criteria #4.

I looked at the Bose qc 15 and tried them. They just feel so cheap. I wasn't blown away by the sound either and kind of want to be for this purchase.

---

I haven't written much about the type of sound I like. In short, at this level of headphone, I am not sure as I have never had a pair that really blew me away. I would err on the side of something warm but clear. 

Please let me know your thoughts, and if there are any questions I can answer. I erred on providing more information than necessary, so I hope this was helpful.

Thank you!

Hi, and welcome to Head-fi.

The D2000/D5000 are very good and still one of the top recommended closed headphones here, but their price has skyrocketed as they are no longer in production. Also, they leak sound quite a bit considering their "closed" design.

If you have a Bestbuy with Magnolia nearby, or an Apple Store, I would highly suggest you visit. Take a listen to the UE6000/9000, AKG K550, and the Sennheiser Momentum. I've owned over ten pairs of headphones that I bought based on recommendations here that I've ended up selling. Hearing them for yourself is far more useful than anonymous impressions online.

I would highly suggest the AKG K550. Seems to fit all your criteria:

Comfortable/Over-ear
Isolation + no leakage
High quality build/feel
Easily driven
Neutral, balanced sound (a little bit of a upper mid hump, but I never really noticed when I owned it) 
Wide soundstage, great for acoustic, classical, and jazz
$300

Good luck!

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #23,940 of 29,490
So I recently made a thread unaware of this one, so excuse me for that haha 
font]
 well I'll just copy and paste what I wrote in the other one:

Hello everyone,

So I recently bought some Audio Technica ATH-A700X headphones and while they sounded great in the highs and mids, they were very lacking in bass. I would like to find a pair of cans that are full and rich in the mids and highs but that also provide a punchy and strong bass. 

I've been looking at tons of reviews and almost ordered the A900Xs, but many reviewers said they sounded similar to the ones I had previously. I've seen the DT990s, D2000s, and various other headphones show up in my searches as well, but I'd like the input from you guys.

I listen mainly to rock and classical with a little bit of pop. I don't want the bass to be so overwhelming that higher frequencies are drowned out, especially because I listen to classical. I also game a lot so I would like a pair with a larger soundstage (I don't really have a preference of open vs closed). When I listen to music I want to feel the bass, I want it to have an impact, which the 700s just didn't provide at all. After all that narrows down the choices, I would also like to remain ~$250 or lower and low impedance cans are preferred. 

I have also seen a lot of mention of German Maestro 8.35D Monitor headphones, but there are very few reviews on them. Does anyone have any knowledge of their classical performance or their soundstage for gaming?

Thanks a lot everyone 
smily_headphones1.gif
!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back