++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #23,881 of 29,490
Quote:
Know of anything similar just with more isolation? 

No, sorry. 
size]
  People say K550 have decent bass but I haven't heard those.

Edit: here's a solution- you can give her your D5000 and put those funds towards something for yourself. 
size]

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #23,884 of 29,490
Quote:
i'm new at this forum and i really dont have any knowledge about headphones
i want to buy new headphone and i have interest in this headphone : superlux hd661, hd668b, hd660, sennheiser hd219, audio technica sj55, and co:caine sound clash
which one of these headphone do you recommend?
my budget is up to $50-$60, i want the one with strong bass but not too strong, i prefer not to use amp, thank you

The superluxes need an amp, the HD661 is less demanding though. Never tried the HD219 and cocaine, from those contenders your best choice is SJ55 if you want strong bass

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #23,885 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, hoping someone can help me out here, I've got my eye on a the Beyerdynamic DT770 simply because I want headphones that will not leak sound out while listening at a relatively mid-high volume, I mostly listen to blues/classic rock, the odd occasion of some 90s hip hop. I don't have any interest in electronic music such as trance techno dubstep etc, are the DT770's good for sound isolation? or is there similar choices you can recommend me as I'm quite private when it comes to my music. I would like to keep the price under £200.

I had the sennheiser hd595's before I got my current headset which is corsair vengeance 2000 that leak out quite a bit when I'm using them.

This will also be my first time jumping into getting an amp/dac combo and was thinking of getting FiiO E10, would this be a good for the dt770's, strictly for desktop use as I won't be using them outside.

DT770 with E10 will be a good pairing, perhaps you want to try the SRH840 too

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #23,886 of 29,490
Thought I'd through in my info in this thread, even though I already made a thread, just in case there are any headphones I should check out before I decide on a pair.

Mainly listen to metal/rock/indie/electronic/classical, looking for closed 'phones, $300 budget (maybe $350 max if they're really worth it). Mainly power out of my laptop and Ipod touch. Headphone/amp combo is fine if the budget is met. Also, I don't care about the price, as long as it meets the budget. If it's a $200 pair vs. a $300 pair, don't let the price factor in to the recommendation.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #23,887 of 29,490
Quote:
Thought I'd through in my info in this thread, even though I already made a thread, just in case there are any headphones I should check out before I decide on a pair.

Mainly listen to metal/rock/indie/electronic/classical, looking for closed 'phones, $300 budget (maybe $350 max if they're really worth it). Mainly power out of my laptop and Ipod touch. Headphone/amp combo is fine if the budget is met. Also, I don't care about the price, as long as it meets the budget. If it's a $200 pair vs. a $300 pair, don't let the price factor in to the recommendation.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #23,888 of 29,490

Quote:

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

I'd rather not go with open ones. I'm considering getting the 598s after some time, but for now I want to go with closed. I have to turn my music down a lot whenever I'm on campus, unless I'm outside. But all I have are Beats Studios right now, this is my first 'hi-fi' buy.

Format, I'm going with MP3 320 for most of my tunes. Not enough memory to focus on FLAC. As far as other sounds, well they'll be mostly for music, except for episodes of Doctor Who when I have time
popcorn.gif

As far as sound signature, well that's not something I'm very good with at this point. I want a solid bass, since I listen to a lot of metal, but I am by no means looking for bass monsters. I feel like I also want solid mids too, nothing recessed in that range. I like a good sound stage, and...that's all I can think of. I'd love to try out a bunch of headphones, but that'd probably require some searching for stores in the city and a good amount of gas.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #23,889 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I'd rather not go with open ones. I'm considering getting the 598s after some time, but for now I want to go with closed. I have to turn my music down a lot whenever I'm on campus, unless I'm outside. But all I have are Beats Studios right now, this is my first 'hi-fi' buy.

Format, I'm going with MP3 320 for most of my tunes. Not enough memory to focus on FLAC. As far as other sounds, well they'll be mostly for music, except for episodes of Doctor Who when I have time
popcorn.gif

As far as sound signature, well that's not something I'm very good with at this point. I want a solid bass, since I listen to a lot of metal, but I am by no means looking for bass monsters. I feel like I also want solid mids too, nothing recessed in that range. I like a good sound stage, and...that's all I can think of. I'd love to try out a bunch of headphones, but that'd probably require some searching for stores in the city and a good amount of gas.

Mmmm...$300 budget for a good closed all arrounder with a good bottom end that is portable and that does not need an amp.

That pushes me toward portable and portable-ish cans, including the Beyer DT 1350, Audio Technica ATHESW9A and (with a good deal, used or refurbed) Senn Amperior or Momentum.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #23,890 of 29,490
Hi all, I know that the following question has been asked many times in this forum, but I think my version is a little different as I now include a couple of fairly new sets of phones in my comparison list.
I've been lurking around this forum for some time, amassing information and views, but I'm still struggling to reach a conclusion.

I'm looking for a pair of closed back cans that offer good isolation, and good solid bass response. Ideally they should offer some level of portability (use on aircraft for example), be robust yet comfortable, offer a good soundstage, not leak much sound and not make me look like something from another planet when I wear them in public.
I listen mostly to blues-rock, brit-pop, and jazz, with some reggae and classical occasionally.

The 'phones I'm considering are:

DT770/80 pro (my favourites so far)
M50S  (uncomfortable?)
Senn Momentum
Custom One Pro
Crossfade LP2
SRH840 (not portable?)
MDRZ1000
MDR1R

My budget is up to about £250. They will be amped for home use (FIIO E17), and I may purchase an amp for portable use (E6 or E11 maybe).
My references are Sony MDR-V6 (which I love, but will any of the above improve on these?)  and AKG K701 (wonderful, but clearly not portable, and leak sound). 

The DT770/80 Pro seems to fit the bill really, but would the extra £100 for the Senn Momentums, or extra £50 for the MDR1R be worth it?

Any views would be appreciated please.  (I don't have the opportunity to hear all the cans in the list before I open my wallet, hence my asking for help from you guys).

Many thanks

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #23,891 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all, I know that the following question has been asked many times in this forum, but I think my version is a little different as I now include a couple of fairly new sets of phones in my comparison list.
I've been lurking around this forum for some time, amassing information and views, but I'm still struggling to reach a conclusion.

I'm looking for a pair of closed back cans that offer good isolation, and good solid bass response. Ideally they should offer some level of portability (use on aircraft for example), be robust yet comfortable, offer a good soundstage, not leak much sound and not make me look like something from another planet when I wear them in public.
I listen mostly to blues-rock, brit-pop, and jazz, with some reggae and classical occasionally.

The 'phones I'm considering are:

DT770/80 pro (my favourites so far)
M50S  (uncomfortable?)
Senn Momentum
Custom One Pro
Crossfade LP2
SRH840 (not portable?)
MDRZ1000
MDR1R

My budget is up to about £250. They will be amped for home use (FIIO E17), and I may purchase an amp for portable use (E6 or E11 maybe).
My references are Sony MDR-V6 (which I love, but will any of the above improve on these?)  and AKG K701 (wonderful, but clearly not portable, and leak sound). 

The DT770/80 Pro seems to fit the bill really, but would the extra £100 for the Senn Momentums, or extra £50 for the MDR1R be worth it?

Any views would be appreciated please.  (I don't have the opportunity to hear all the cans in the list before I open my wallet, hence my asking for help from you guys).

Many thanks

The DT 880 Pro is the best of the lot you listed, but it is open and (like the even bigger DT 770 Pro) is quite large--and does not fold or swivel.

Since you are only a "maybe" on a portable amp, I will stick to cans that don't rquire an amp.  I will recommend only relatively neutral cans, as they best fit the music to which you listen.

The affordable option is the KRK KNS 8400 or Sony MDR-V900HD (if you can still find them).  The Shure SRH 840 is a bit less portable friendly than the KRK, but will also work in a pinch for air travel.

Beyond that you are looking at some excellent portable and portable-isn cans, including the Beyer DT 1350, Senn Amperior, Senn Momentum (less portable, more bass) and Audio Technica ATHESW9A.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #23,892 of 29,490
OK NOW FOR REAL.
i have the Q701 and LOVE THEM !!!

now i do not have a desktop amp... only have the ffio e5 didnt feel any diff amp or unamped.

HOW BIG is the difference with a proper amp for the Q701 ? is it that huge and worth the money ? i am just an ordinary guy i dont do recording or anything, just play HQ music...
my next question is what is the BEST amp\DAC for the Q701 for 80-100$ (perfer to buy from amazon has 100$ gift card)

saw ppl talk about the E9 but i see its a dock or something.. dont feel like buying more stuff, just want amp|dac that does the job well and improve drasticly the soundquality of the Q701

thanks. :)

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #23,893 of 29,490
Quote:
OK NOW FOR REAL.
i have the Q701 and LOVE THEM !!!

now i do not have a desktop amp... only have the ffio e5 didnt feel any diff amp or unamped.

HOW BIG is the difference with a proper amp for the Q701 ? is it that huge and worth the money ? i am just an ordinary guy i dont do recording or anything, just play HQ music...
my next question is what is the BEST amp\DAC for the Q701 for 80-100$ (perfer to buy from amazon has 100$ gift card)

saw ppl talk about the E9 but i see its a dock or something.. dont feel like buying more stuff, just want amp|dac that does the job well and improve drasticly the soundquality of the Q701

thanks. :)

Fiio e10.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #23,895 of 29,490
Okay so I am looking for a new pair of headphones for home use with my PC. These headphones will be used for Studio Mixing via 1/4", listening to music and gaming via Astro Mixamp. I have picked out a few headphones just wondering what would be the better choice. Shure SRH840 or AKG Q701, Any other suggestions would be okay. Price Range is $250 or below. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back