++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #23,851 of 29,490
Quote:

I wouldn't even say it's as much as 2%. Maybe .5%

I dont know about the D2000s, but I just finished doing the mods on my D5000s. Its not 2% or anything like that, but it is noticeable. The pads made the most difference, and it was easily noticeable. More than 10%. The mods in general make it a much more balanced headphone, and make a large difference specifically in detail. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #23,852 of 29,490
Quote:
Get the CAL!  For a good all-arround, easy to power can with balanced sound, it is very hard to beat at $70 something

Quote:
Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed headphone, mail order from Asia (Hong Kong & China) for $80.

thanks for the quick reply guys. 
i can't seem to find any reviews of the takstar (apart from some japanese site). i can get them both for roughly the same price (74usd for cal! and 76usd for takstar).

from what i can tell from golden ears review (complete noob regarding headphones), the takstars are technically better, with more accurate sound and less resonance, and yet, the reviewer gave them (if i read the chart correct) less points than the cal!.
any thoughts? 

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #23,853 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all, im in the process of trying to find as good of a set up as i can in my price range.

My price range on headphones that im budgeting is around 300, a bit more or less is possible IF it is severely worth the additional.

The player is undecided but my choices are between the Cowon Z2, and a Sony Z series

I listen to an extremely broad range of music, all the way from Classical Symphonies and soloists (usually violinists like Pearlman, Joshua Bell ETC) to Rock (Metallica, Disturbed, All that Remains) to Mexican Mariachi, to Pop (Christina Aguilara, Older Shakira, Marc Anthony)

As far as features go, Noise Cancellation would be nice but not required, however if it can be had in this price range without major sacrifice in sound quality it would be preferred, Noise Isolation is kind of a must because i will be using these headphones at school, and on the bus to school where it is a bit noisy and i want to block out background noise.

Now i will add if i buy either of these two players, and your headphone recommendation would require the use of an AMP, please tell me so that way i can continue my research down that path as well. Thanks a million

Anybody else have some feedback on this? So far the Shures are the only response ive recieved

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #23,857 of 29,490
headphones do not nessecarily have to be closed to isolate. They could use active noise cancelling, but really I have never heard of any kind of open headphones with noise cancelling features. So basically its possible but its gotta be closed. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #23,860 of 29,490
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been looking for THE PERFECT PAIR OF HEADPHONES for quite a while but can't seem to find anything.
What I'm looking for I think is quite niche. And if you read further, it might sound like I want the Beats Pro, and they are perfect for me except for two things: The MASSIVE weight and the OKAY sound quality. BUDGET LIMIT: $200. I think that with all the criteria here, it's a given that the sound quality is at least better than the pro beats.

My perfect pair of headphones (by importance):

1) Detachable cable, it seems not every manufacturer is always clear about this and I have to research like a maniac to make sure that a pair has a detachable cable or not. But the problem is I'm not just looking for a pair that has a detachable cable, I'm looking specifically for a pair that has a standard detachable cable for use with any other cable (instead of buying the special expensive ones each company sells). IN A NUTSHELL, I'm looking for a pair that has a standard 3.5mm male to male cable included.

2) Weight. They absolutely need to be lighter than the Pro Beats.

3) Circumaural, I find that these are the most comfortable of all headphone from my experience and they don't tend to grip on your head. Not hard to find these, that's why it's the last criterion.

Here's to hoping somebody finds my perfect pair!

AND (optional):
Durability is also important to me. As long as the pair is NOT made of plastic, I'll take it right away! I can somewhat accept durable plastic.
I am willing to up the budget to 250 or even 300 if the headset itself has no plastic.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #23,861 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been looking for THE PERFECT PAIR OF HEADPHONES for quite a while but can't seem to find anything.
What I'm looking for I think is quite niche. And if you read further, it might sound like I want the Beats Pro, and they are perfect for me except for two things: The MASSIVE weight and the OKAY sound quality. BUDGET LIMIT: $200. I think that with all the criteria here, it's a given that the sound quality is at least better than the pro beats.

1) Detachable cable, it seems not every manufacturer is always clear about this and I have to research like a maniac to make sure that a pair has a detachable cable or not. But the problem is I'm not just looking for a pair that has a detachable cable, I'm looking specifically for a pair that has a standard detachable cable for use with any other cable (instead of buying the special expensive ones each company sells). IN A NUTSHELL, I'm looking for a pair that has a standard 3.5mm male to male cable included.

3) Circumaural, I find that these are the most comfortable of all headphone from my experience and they don't tend to grip on your head. Not hard to find these, that's why it's the last criterion.

AND (optional):
Durability is also important to me. As long as the pair is NOT made of plastic, I'll take it right away! I can somewhat accept durable plastic.
I am willing to up the budget to 250 or even 300 if the headset itself has no plastic.

Most of us here believe that it is quite easy to beat (pun intended) the sound quality of Beats--and for much less money.  From what you posted, I would guess that you are looking for a bass emphasized sound signature, but for clarity, please tell us:

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

BTW: asking for no plastic and light weight might be going a bridge too far.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #23,862 of 29,490
Quote:

AND (optional):

Just two things:
The Pros are one of the heaviest and most uncomfortable pairs of headphones around, you're still open to, I'd say 95% of the headphone market if you want something lighter.
And oftentimes high-grade plastic headphones are much more durable than metal ones. Usage of aluminum/steel is nice, but often just gets in the way (heavier, more uncomfortable, prone to more damage if dropped due to weight). In other words, metal=/=durable.

You didn't mention anything about portability, so I'm assuming fullsized cans are okay? Something about music/genre preferences might be useful.

I'd go for the HFI-2400. It's under $200 right now on Amazon.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #23,863 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

AND (optional):

Just two things:
The Pros are one of the heaviest and most uncomfortable pairs of headphones around, you're still open to, I'd say 95% of the headphone market if you want something lighter.
And oftentimes high-grade plastic headphones are much more durable than metal ones. Usage of aluminum/steel is nice, but often just gets in the way (heavier, more uncomfortable, prone to more damage if dropped due to weight). In other words, metal=/=durable.

You didn't mention anything about portability, so I'm assuming fullsized cans are okay? Something about music/genre preferences might be useful.

I'd go for the HFI-2400. It's under $200 right now on Amazon.

The HiFi 2400 are open cans (low leakage for open cans, but open cans none-the-less).  The poster needs to tells us whether or not he is OK with them as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back