++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #23,822 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for good headphones, right now I just have $20 earbuds. My criteria:

1) Price: $75-150
2) What I'll use it on: Laptop/Desktop mostly, iPod rarely, guitar practice amp maybe.
3) Comfortable for big ears, I want them to wrap around my ears!\
4) What I listen to: Progressive and Thrash Metal, and Classical.
5) Of course, good sound quality, whatever that means!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #23,823 of 29,490
Hello I am new to Head-fi and wanted advice on an amp. I just bought a pair of Koss pro dj100's for use as my new walking around phones. They sound amazing. Much more balanced than my ad700 but I hear they really benefit from an amp and I want your recommendation for the best home amp under $75. I have heard good things about the T-amps for sail on Ebay but I am a newbie to the whole amp thing. I don't care about portability and I can buy vintage (as long as I can still find it relatively easily) if that's what it takes to get good sound.

Also I plan on buying much better headphones when I have more money (possibly Dt 880s or Hfi 2400's) so I would like it to be able to handle fancy headphones like those (at least as well as it can for my low budget).

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #23,825 of 29,490
Hi new member here. After lurking around here for quite awhile, I have narrowed down to two headphones and I don't know which one to choose. I have $360 right now and I'm planning to get either used Denon D2k's or AKG K550's. With the AKG's, I'm thinking I'll also get an amp with the spare cash i have left over. My problem is whether to get just the Denons or AKG's with an amp. I know down the road if I buy the Denons, I'll eventually get an amp, but I don't know if they will be driven properly with my computer while I'm using them. Any help would be awesome

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #23,826 of 29,490
The denons dont actually require an amp. Do they sound a good amount better with one? Sure, but what headphones dont? Imo if you like the D2k sound sig, and everything about them, go ahead and buy them while they are still available. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #23,827 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello I am new to Head-fi and wanted advice on an amp. I just bought a pair of Koss pro dj100's for use as my new walking around phones. They sound amazing. Much more balanced than my ad700 but I hear they really benefit from an amp and I want your recommendation for the best home amp under $75. I have heard good things about the T-amps for sail on Ebay but I am a newbie to the whole amp thing. I don't care about portability and I can buy vintage (as long as I can still find it relatively easily) if that's what it takes to get good sound.

Also I plan on buying much better headphones when I have more money (possibly Dt 880s or Hfi 2400's) so I would like it to be able to handle fancy headphones like those (at least as well as it can for my low budget).

Sorry--you're in the wrong section of the forum.  As the heading of this thread (now) clearly says, it's for advice & recommendations for full sized headphones.  There are other sections of the forum that deal with amps.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #23,828 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi new member here. After lurking around here for quite awhile, I have narrowed down to two headphones and I don't know which one to choose. I have $360 right now and I'm planning to get either used Denon D2k's or AKG K550's. With the AKG's, I'm thinking I'll also get an amp with the spare cash i have left over. My problem is whether to get just the Denons or AKG's with an amp. I know down the road if I buy the Denons, I'll eventually get an amp, but I don't know if they will be driven properly with my computer while I'm using them. Any help would be awesome

Denon have more bass, K550 have a cleaner sound, bigger headstage and blacker backgorund

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #23,829 of 29,490
hey guys. 

so i've got roughly $75 (us) to blow on some good head phones. 
background: sony mdr-v100 on ear, and my in-ear noname $18 phones. 
i love music, mostly listen to funk, soul, rock (60's 70's), blues, some jazz, dubstep, rap, hipster... well anything really.  mostly flac/lossless/320kbps.

they will mostly be used for music + some gaming (no headsets, and no head phones adapted for gaming, music is the main reason for buying). 

now, since I live in sweden, prices are a bit off compared to some of the prices mentioned in various buy guides on this forums. i need help to choose the right/best cans for me.

my options (open for suggestions):
Sony MDR-V6       - $79.2
CAL                    - $72.4
Sennheiser 419     - $55.5
JVC HA-M750E      - $33.7

i can stretch my budget a little to get one of these, assuming it's worth it:
Shure SRH240A      -$84
Denon AH-D510R    -$89.8
Koss PRODJ100      -$93.7

some over ears:
noontec zoro pro      -$67.7
Philips SHL5205BK     -$76.5
AKG K518DJ             -$68.8

i prefer over-ear cans.
also, first post on these forums
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #23,830 of 29,490
Quote:
Mkay, any other reccomendations for even open headphones? IMO the denons are basically open to me lol. Any opinions of the Audio Technica ATH-W1000x? She loves the looks of them, and sound signature seems similarish, to the denons. 
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ath-w1000x

W1000X has a little peak on uppermidrange - lower treble region, romantic and lush sounding phones with good bass ( mainly midbass ). Medium to slow paced, not recommended for fast music

W1000X is different than W1000

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #23,831 of 29,490
Quote:

You'll have to tell us quite a bit more before we can be of much help--including:

What equipment will be powering these cans? 

Will the amp you are considering be a portable or desktop?  Wil you also need a DAC?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Have you tried out the AKG to know whether you can get a good seal?  Facial hair, sideburns and/or glasses have prevented this for some.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #23,832 of 29,490
Quote:
The denons dont actually require an amp. Do they sound a good amount better with one? Sure, but what headphones dont? Imo if you like the D2k sound sig, and everything about them, go ahead and buy them while they are still available. 

D2000 is quite revealing to the source material, if you feed it with poor source the sound can be harsh

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #23,833 of 29,490
Quote:
hey guys. 

i love music, mostly listen to funk, soul, rock (60's 70's), blues, some jazz, dubstep, rap, hipster... well anything really.  mostly flac/lossless/320kbps.

they will mostly be used for music + some gaming (no headsets, and no head phones adapted for gaming, music is the main reason for buying). 

now, since I live in sweden, prices are a bit off compared to some of the prices mentioned in various buy guides on this forums. i need help to choose the right/best cans for me.

Shure SRH240A      -$84
Denon AH-D510R    -$89.8

some over ears:

i prefer over-ear cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Get the CAL!  For a good all-arround, easy to power can with balanced sound, it is very hard to beat at $70 something

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #23,834 of 29,490
Quote:
Shure SRH240A      -$84
Denon AH-D510R    -$89.8
some over ears:
i prefer over-ear cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed headphone, mail order from Asia (Hong Kong & China) for $80.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #23,835 of 29,490
Hello all, im in the process of trying to find as good of a set up as i can in my price range.

My price range on headphones that im budgeting is around 300, a bit more or less is possible IF it is severely worth the additional.

The player is undecided but my choices are between the Cowon Z2, and a Sony Z series

I listen to an extremely broad range of music, all the way from Classical Symphonies and soloists (usually violinists like Pearlman, Joshua Bell ETC) to Rock (Metallica, Disturbed, All that Remains) to Mexican Mariachi, to Pop (Christina Aguilara, Older Shakira, Marc Anthony)

As far as features go, Noise Cancellation would be nice but not required, however if it can be had in this price range without major sacrifice in sound quality it would be preferred, Noise Isolation is kind of a must because i will be using these headphones at school, and on the bus to school where it is a bit noisy and i want to block out background noise.

Now i will add if i buy either of these two players, and your headphone recommendation would require the use of an AMP, please tell me so that way i can continue my research down that path as well. Thanks a million

Users who are viewing this thread

Back