++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #23,596 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Short and sweet;

I currently have a cmoy bb amp with the super accurate and detailed hf5.

I now would like a full sized headphone with

Bass
Clarity in mids and highs
Great soundstage
Minimal sound leakage (plan to wear these at work)

The only one I tried are the dt770 pro 80 ( too bassy, veiled mids). I would try the ath m50s, but got the impression that the dt770s are the same thing minus the comfort.
I

I'm lookin to spend 200-250 bucks and listen to all types of music-

Thanks!

Bump
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't think of any closed can that will give you all that.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #23,600 of 29,490
Quote:
Neither the Grado nor HD 598 will give you that.  The Shure SRH 940 will.

Thanks! I'll take them into account. Maybe there is some open analytical and transparent headphones? As I said before I don't need much isolation.

At your budget, the AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-AD900 comes to mind.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #23,601 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Do you know what the drop off is between say the DT 1350 and the 880's/990 (32 Ohm) or even the 598's?

All three of those as full sized open or semi-open cans, so it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

The 1350 is bassier than the 880 and 598 and more balanced and neutral-ish than the 990.

The 1350 has excellent isolation from outside sound and does not leak sound.  The other three don't isolate well and leak sound.

The open cans have superieor sound stage to the closed 1350.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #23,602 of 29,490
Hey guys, made another thread before I saw this, sorry. Hopefully it gets buried!

So my other thread taught me that I can't get a good open back around the ear for $125. I liked the K240 MkII's, but apparently those are more for studio? (They are the 55ohm version, and I have a receiver/amp with a 47ohm phones jack. Would this increase performance over a computer jack?) I listen to math rock, country, classic rock, edm, basically everything but rock. I've never owned a good pair of headphones, so maybe I shouldn't go too big on my first purchase?

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #23,604 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, made another thread before I saw this, sorry. Hopefully it gets buried!

So my other thread taught me that I can't get a good open back around the ear for $125. I liked the K240 MkII's, but apparently those are more for studio? (They are the 55ohm version, and I have a receiver/amp with a 47ohm phones jack. Would this increase performance over a computer jack?) I listen to math rock, country, classic rock, edm, basically everything but rock. I've never owned a good pair of headphones, so maybe I shouldn't go too big on my first purchase?

For about half that price, you can get the almost identical semi-open K 240 Studio.  Regardless of application and in the context of their price range, they sound great for most everything.

Unless someone owns the same receiver, it's almost impossible to advise you on what a can will sound like coming out of a modern receiver.  It was easier in the days of vintage receivers, when the headphone jacks were essentially toned down speaker taps.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #23,605 of 29,490
Quote:
Is everyone here just average music listeners or music producers and mixers?

Average music listeners don't tend to be around here over the long haul.  The folks regularly on the boards have varied backgrounds.  There are undoubtedly more of us that are avid and experienced folks with music and cans, but who don't make our living as producers and/or on the sliders.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #23,606 of 29,490
Alright, my Sennheiser HD 201s are starting to quit and I'm looking to replace them with something slightly higher quality, as I was generally unimpressed with their sound quality (which was to be expected as I only paid 20 some dollars.

So, What are the best sounding around the ear headphones for someone on a budget? Preferably <$50.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #23,607 of 29,490
Quote:
At your budget, the AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-AD900 comes to mind.

Yep a lot of threads recommended me the AD900 for that price range. Plus its not bad looking at all.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #23,608 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright, my Sennheiser HD 201s are starting to quit and I'm looking to replace them with something slightly higher quality, as I was generally unimpressed with their sound quality (which was to be expected as I only paid 20 some dollars.

So, What are the best sounding around the ear headphones for someone on a budget? Preferably <$50.

Pony up and get the CAL! while they are still under $61 at Amazon.

If that's too much, go very cheap and get the Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones (if some leakage is OK with you).

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #23,610 of 29,490
Average music listeners don't tend to be around here over the long haul.  The folks regularly on the boards have varied backgrounds.  There are undoubtedly more of us that are avid and experienced folks with music and cans, but who don't make our living as producers and/or on the sliders.

+1
Listener here, definitely not average :wink:

I'm just getting into cans after years of hifi, then having kids and not being able to turn up my hifi! Most of the stuff I've read in my short time here points to enthusiasts rather than musicians/producers etc. although there are some of those, and they have given some great info from the "other" side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back