++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #23,581 of 29,490
Quote:
spend the extra 50 and get the AKG K550's

Or get them "like new" for $230:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006IBILRO/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&colid=3TMR6IEFCG0JX&coliid=IKDES5OOZ2CTM&condition=used

Warning: you need a good seal for the K 550 to perform the way that they should.  Facial hair and glassses can defeat this.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #23,583 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone i am in a bit of a quandary. I am able to get my hands on a pair of HD 700's for around 700, but i am also able to get a pair of HD 800's for about a grand. My problem is stemming from my amplification. i currently have the little dot 1+ and that is coming from the Shiit Modi, with my desktop being a source. I have heard that people would rather listen to a pair of 800's with poor amplification than the 700's with proper. Given the set-up i am using which would be a better idea to get? Looking at this situation now, not in a perspective that i can spend more money on amps in the future. 

Given the price of the HD 800, that is probably a question better asked in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #23,586 of 29,490
Quote:
I want to buy the HE-500, but I am concerned about the amount of power they pull. I have an Objective 2, would that be enough to drive them?

Yes. Along with the K701 and some others, the O2's designer used the HE-500 as a goal for his design. He also used them in validating the finished O2. You can find details on his blog, but posting a link to a banned member's site is verboten.

I believe the O2 has been discussed in the HE-500 thread here. Because I don't follow it, I could be wrong. I just don't want to be tempted into buy one. Accidentally.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #23,588 of 29,490
Alright, posting again since my situation has changed. Not looking for a sound card at the moment. The problem I was having with my current one mysteriously fixed itself.

I'm looking for a good closed-ear set with a good soundstage, and crisp highs and mids. Bass must be average or recessed; accurate, but not overemphasized, so that I can simply adjust my EQ settings when I'm in the mood for bass. I would like to be able to pinpoint rustling bushes, footsteps, or shouts from my enemies. It should be noted that this isn't only for FPS, but also for RPGs and adventure titles, so I'd like it to be able to reproduce RPG-ish music fairly well (which may be a lot to ask for in a closed-ear set).

I'm currently considering Audio Technica ATH-A900x, but would like some other options as well. My budget is "below 400 USD".

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #23,589 of 29,490
Hi everybody!
I'm looking for open headphones for home use. Main priority is sound, then comfort. Price range is about 200$ - 250$.
Already have HiFiMAN RE262. For me they sound great but I don't want to use them at home, just don't need so much isolation and I really want something with better sound. 
Currenty thinking about Gardo SR225i, Sennheiser H598 or something like this(or maybe not 
wink.gif
 )
Also I have stereo amp and O2 so I don't thin that impedance will be an issue.
Any suggestions are welcome.
PS: no "designer" stuff, don't look at default avatar :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #23,590 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everybody!
I'm looking for open headphones for home use. Main priority is sound, then comfort. Price range is about 200$ - 250$.
Already have HiFiMAN RE262. For me they sound great but I don't want to use them at home, just don't need so much isolation and I really want something with better sound. 
Currenty thinking about Gardo SR225i, Sennheiser H598 or something like this(or maybe not 
wink.gif
 )
Also I have stereo amp and O2 so I don't thin that impedance will be an issue.
Any suggestions are welcome.
PS: no "designer" stuff, don't look at default avatar :)

The Grado and Senn are both quite good, but very, very different.  What sound signature are you seeking?

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #23,591 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright, posting again since my situation has changed. Not looking for a sound card at the moment. The problem I was having with my current one mysteriously fixed itself.

I'm looking for a good closed-ear set with a good soundstage, and crisp highs and mids. Bass must be average or recessed; accurate, but not overemphasized, so that I can simply adjust my EQ settings when I'm in the mood for bass. I would like to be able to pinpoint rustling bushes, footsteps, or shouts from my enemies. It should be noted that this isn't only for FPS, but also for RPGs and adventure titles, so I'd like it to be able to reproduce RPG-ish music fairly well (which may be a lot to ask for in a closed-ear set).

I'm currently considering Audio Technica ATH-A900x, but would like some other options as well. My budget is "below 400 USD".

Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone review discusses positioning, bass and overall competitiveness of many, many headphones, check it out.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #23,593 of 29,490
Short and sweet;

I currently have a cmoy bb amp with the super accurate and detailed hf5.

I now would like a full sized headphone with

Bass
Clarity in mids and highs
Great soundstage
Minimal sound leakage (plan to wear these at work)

The only one I tried are the dt770 pro 80 ( too bassy, veiled mids). I would try the ath m50s, but got the impression that the dt770s are the same thing minus the comfort.
I

I'm lookin to spend 200-250 bucks and listen to all types of music-

Thanks!

Bump :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #23,594 of 29,490
Quote:
I guess that begs the question, are these headphones suitable for the type of music I listen to? Death metal I usually listen to (just as one example) doesn't sound especially different, except in songs that used to have a really impenetrable wall of sound production. Where as before, it all sounded like a wall of sound, now I can now hear details of all of the entire song, except things that used to stand out like, let's say the incredible heavy punch of the bass and fast guitars don't seem to stand out as much. Instead these aspects of the music now make it sound a bit flatter. So it's not a degradation in sound quality, as much as it's simply making it different; perhaps not even in a way that makes it more or less enjoyable. The biggest question I have as of this moment, is what is more important? Is an amplifier more important than a DAC? Would an amplifier even make the music sound a bit more like how I want it to? Since, I only want one pair of be-all-end all kind of headphones, are these the most well balanced? I think the even bigger issue, which should over-all be the most important is, are high end headphones even for me? I mean yeah, I do think they're a bit better than my old ones, but how much of that is just the placebo effect? I can't tell if I really do think these headphones are better or if it just seems that way because I'm convincing myself that that's the case. Would different headphones be more enjoyable? I can't tell if that should lead me to return them, or if after all I'll really feel like I love them. That's all there is to it for me I supposed. I didn't know what I wanted when I ordered these, and I still don't know if they're what I want even now after extended listening.

A different amplifier or dac would not change the signature very much (not counting certain vacuum tubes or non-os dacs which would make them sound even softer).  If you want a more aggressive sound the HE400 might not be for you.  SR225 are extremely good with electric guitar, you could start there and keep trying and comparing headphones until you will find something you really like. Like anything else, the more you hear different headphones, the more you will be able to hear differences between them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back