++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #23,491 of 29,490
Quote:
The Ohm rating alone does not tell the whole story for any can.  I can play my AD900 right out of a CD player and it sounds great.  Also see the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  Both rate it as a "1" or "amp unnecessary".  That's not to say that an amp won't scale them up a bit.

The HE-400 are plenars, efficient for a pleanar, but plenars none the less.  Their sensativity is rated at 92.5 dB (compared to 100 dB for the AD900).  They crave some power; not a great deal (like the HE-6 or even the HE-500), but some.

Ah, understood.  Thanks for the insight - I definitely have a few options to consider now.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #23,492 of 29,490
Quote:
X2.  For that reason you would take a huge hit in sound quality imo if you were to allocate $450 towards the dac/amp and $410 towards the headphone, as you propose.  Put a bigger slice of the budget towards the best headphone possible (or go with the HD650 to save $) and get a cheaper source.  For example you could get a simple but decent dac/amp, or a dac with rca outputs to a vintage stereo, which you can pick up for very little and has more watts than many dedicated headphone amplifiers, or a $99 airport express with optical outputs to a modern stereo you may already have, etc.

I just picked up a vintage Sherwood to use as my headphone amp. Can you recommend a reasonably priced DAC that has RCA outs?

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #23,493 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones for gaming mainly. I've come across 3 pairs i've been looking at. 

[size=1.7em] Audio Technica ATH-AD700[/size]

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD518[/size]
[size=1.7em] AKG K142HD[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em] The reviews on the Sennheisers are nice, and same with the ATH-AD700s (site reviews) but noones yet done AKG k142HD. Portablity doesnt really matter to me since I'll be using them mainly for gaming. Which of those 3 would you guys recommend? Or if none, which do you recommend? My price limit is around $100. [/size]

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #23,495 of 29,490
Quote:

Please define "reasonably priced". For under $200, you can get an ODAC with RCA jacks.

That would be reasonably priced. Thanks I'll give it a look.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #23,496 of 29,490
Quote:
I just picked up a vintage Sherwood to use as my headphone amp. Can you recommend a reasonably priced DAC that has RCA outs?

Will you be using a computer for a source?  If you plan on connecting via usb, the udac-2 would work well, as would a fiio d5/e10 with a 1/8 line out to rca cable.  If you have optical outputs (e.g. a mac, playstation, cd/dvd player) you could go with a very inexpensive fiio d3.  If you have a computer with ethernet/wireless or iphone or ipod touch and don't mind using itunes another option would be get an airport express (slaved to your router) with optical outputs to a fiio d3.  Connect speakers to the Sherwood and that would also give you wireless streaming of lossless files from anywhere in your house for <$140.  There are many other similar options, you might want to check the dedicated source components thread.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #23,497 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Please define "reasonably priced". For under $200, you can get an ODAC with RCA jacks.

I can vouch for the ODAC with RCA jacks.

Unless the placement of the inputs/outputs really matters to you, I think the ODAC is a very good DAC for the price ($160 USD with the RCA jacks).

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #23,498 of 29,490
How does the ODAC ($159) compare to the Schiit Modi ($99)?

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #23,499 of 29,490
Quote:
X2.  For that reason you would take a huge hit in sound quality imo if you were to allocate $450 towards the dac/amp and $410 towards the headphone, as you propose.  Put a bigger slice of the budget towards the best headphone possible (or go with the HD650 to save $) and get a cheaper source.  For example you could get a simple but decent dac/amp, or a dac with rca outputs to a vintage stereo, which you can pick up for very little and has more watts than many dedicated headphone amplifiers, or a $99 airport express with optical outputs to a modern stereo you may already have, etc.

And in that price category what headphone should I look at?
I didn't really get the stereo-thing, I'm sorry.

Edit: Nevermind, I get it now. The fact is that I've read that the nuforce goes really well with the HD650, and I'm a little afraid of finding myself with a really good pair of headphones but not the right dac or amp to take advantage of them. Being completely new to the subject, I wanted to go for something that would make things easy and maybe allow me to start exploring this new world by slowly taking one step ahead.

Edit 2: Also, since I'm planning to buy the stuff second-handed as many of these products are not easily available for my country if you are not ready to pay a crazy amount of money, an all round solution has its advantages in that aspect too.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #23,500 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed--you need a good and fairly powerful amp (and dac or dac/amp depending on your music/sound sources) to hear what the HD 650 and T1 offer.  The easier to drive 598 is an excellent can, but at least a tier below the other two.

thank you KG Jag and zeinharis. i am going to sell 598. it is really very good looking imo and sounds GREAT (to me) !!!!!

i am choosing an amp now. A1 is an easy option to go with T1 and HD650. as i am from australia, so the choices are limited. i want something below $1k (shipping included). i can get A1 from amazon, very convenient. but i know A1 is not popular, and people all recommend tubes (wa2) to go with T1. however, i dont have many options available. 

do you think A1 (at $750 shipped) will be a fine match to T1 and HD650, in terms of sound quality and value? 

these days, i am using Fiio 17 to amp HD650. definitely not ideal, but better than nothing. as to T1, well, i can do nothing with it at the moment. 

How about your own Burson?  Although it has not tubes, it has a bit of that sound flavor.  It does a very good job with the T1.  Have not plugged my 650 into it yet because they are different time zones.

I also like the T1 and HD 650 through the HiFiMan EF5.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #23,501 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all,

I've been looking for a new pair of cans for the past few weeks, but being an entry-level audiophile I've had a rough time narrowing down my choices.

I would really appreciate your guys help.

I am musician and currently own a Bose (I know...). What I am looking for is a HIFI closed can (for isolation from exterior sounds), easily portable ( a bulkish can won't be a problem, but a pliable one would be great), ranging from 100 to 250 $, for all sorts of music (but mainly rock, soul, folk, blues, jazz, pop, latin). I am a heavy user (on average 6 hours a day - at a low volume) so confort is a big issue. Finally, durability is also a big win (my Bose has given up on me after 2 years).

Now the challenge : I am in Paris, so all is not available to me (though we'll probably be touring in the US in a couple of months - I could wait a little if a certain model turns out to be just the one I need).

Finally, I don't have an amp, but I am considering buying one (I mostly listen to music on my Macbook Pro, a old office Dell, and my Samsung Galaxy II). 

Mostly, I want to able to hear musical details better , that brings a song's production closer to the ears, and be able to do so confortably in the subway or at home all day long. 

So far I've narrowed down a couple of available phones in Paris. Do you think any of these (or others) suits my needs ?

AKG K 701 (246€)
Beyerdynamic DT 1350 (250€) (tough I am not sure about supra-aural cans)
Beyerdynamic TP 50 (238€)  (same)
SHURE SRH 940 (219€)
KRK KNS 640 (100€)
KOSS Pro DJ 100 (55€)
V Moda Corssfade M80 (179€)
Beyer DT 770 pro 80 OHMS (on sale for  145€, but is it portable ?)

Thanks a lot!

I'd look into the KRK KNS 8400, and Senn portable cans (which I find to be quite comfortable) the Amperior and HD-25-1 II.

Based on current US Amazon pricing, the Audio Technica ATHESW9A (comfortabe for me) also comes in to play.  Your mileage may vary in France.

Hope to catch you at SxSW.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #23,502 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looking for a good closed classical phone for ~$300 for my dad. I was thinking the Sony MDR-1R or the Mad Dogs(I would give him my FiiO E11((not sure if he's fine with carrying the amp around though)) ) Any other recommendations from other people?

Is this to be used unamped from something like an iPod?

iPad.

Have not heard the Sony, but from what I have read they are too bassy and colored to mesh well with classical music.  I have only briefly heard the Mag Dogs, so can offer no helpful opinion about them.

No amp knocks out some excellent options, like the Shure SRH 940.

That lead us to mostly portable cans like the Senn Amperior (or little brother the HD25-1 II) and Audio Technica ATHESW9A Portable Wooden Headphones. 

If you can still find it, the Sony MDR-V900HD is also a good choice and should be quite a bit below budget.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #23,503 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looking for a good closed classical phone for ~$300 for my dad. I was thinking the Sony MDR-1R or the Mad Dogs(I would give him my FiiO E11((not sure if he's fine with carrying the amp around though)) ) Any other recommendations from other people?

Is this to be used unamped from something like an iPod?

iPad.

Have not heard the Sony, but from what I have read they are too bassy and colored to mess well with classical music.  I have only briefly heard the Mag Dogs, so can offer no helpful opinion about them.

No amp knocks out some excellent options, like the Shure SRH 940.

That lead us to mostly portable cans like the Senn Amperior (or little brother the HD25-1 II) and Audio Technica ATHESW9A Portable Wooden Headphones. 

If you can still find it, the Sony MDR-V900HD is also a good choice and should be quite a bit below budget.

I loved the MDR-1R so I may have him get that. And he can go to the Sony Store to listen to it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #23,504 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Hope you get an answer, but your question is OT.  This is a full sized headphones recommendation thread in the full sized headphone section of the forum.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #23,505 of 29,490
Quote:
Hope you get an answer, but your question is OT.  This is a full sized headphones recommendation thread in the full sized headphone section of the forum.

Actually I already did get an answer and the only reason I posted in this thread is because the gentleman mentioned DACs with RCA outs. Seek knowledge wherever you can find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back