++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #23,266 of 29,490
Quote:
So I've been lurking for a while recently, and thought I might as well join up and ask a few questions.

I'm finishing up grad school, and thought that I could use a pair of fullsize over ear headphones. I started doing lots of research, and have come up with a list of some cans that sound like they over really good value. The problem is that sometimes reviews are conflicting, or they aren't compared to each other.

My uses:

These will be used almost exclusively at home (use Brainwavz M1 IEM for carrying around to campus and work). I've been listening to mostly electronica lately (pandora... I don't own much music at all). I'll be listening to music on them when I don't want to disturb my wife (in the other room though), and I game a fair amount, but not competitively at all (starcraft 2, skyrim, portal 2, etc). So I'm not worried about the soundstage being as big as possible, but I don't want them to be flat and terrible.

Preferences/background:

I do know that I like the sound of my brainwavz, and that I DON"T like the sound of the koss porta pro (tried buddies, they sounded muddy and thick to me in the bass). In my home theater system I prefer the smoother highs of silk dome tweeters to klipsh style horns, and I like the sound of my denon hooked up to my polk audio RTI's. I listen to music for fun, not to analyze it (I don't produce, edit, or even play any instruments), but I like to think that I like flat response curves (because I know I don't like the porta pros or home theater systems with muddy bass).

I will be running these on my home computer off of a Fiio E10. Most of these don't appear to need amping, but I've been using the Fiio for almost a year as a DAC to my 2.0 computer setup so I already have this.

I have looked at I think almost the entire spectrum of headphones, but think I've narrowed it down to a few.

Superlux HD668B: I think these are the first cans that I heard referred to as "giant killers". Most of the reviews say they're great, but occasionally you find people who hate how bright they are in the high end. And according to the reviews, these might be more comfortable than the SR850, or maybe they're not. It appears to depend on who you ask. Same thing about the bass. Some people say they have none, some say they are great.

Samson SR850: I understand that these are essentially the same as the 668b (32ohm, non detachable cable, maybe a bit more clamping force. Is that about right?). Any reason why I should look at these above the 668b?

Creative Aurvana Live: These are at the VERY VERY top of my budget. I was originally thinking $50 for the SR850's, then found those were usually closer to $60, so the $75 for the CAL is the most I can spend. These are closed cans, so I understand that they'll likely have a smaller soundstage, and probably more bass, but all of the reviews state that they are pretty good. I hear that these are much more comfortable, and one of the most comfortable cans out there. I know these are rebadged foster OEM's (Denon 1001 IIRC), but not really how they compare to the 668b.

Mostly I'm wanting peoples opinions on how the superlux compares to the CAL. Is the bass overpowering on the CAL? Are the highs on the superlux actually that piercing? Do the superlux cans actually have decent bass? Are either of these headphones responses really very "flat"? Which one would you guys choose if you were me?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I've been feeling a bit lost lately :frowning2:.

Your best choice from this group is the CAL!  While it's not really neutral, it has a balanced and natural sound.  The CAL! is far from basshead territory.

The Superlux is an excellent can for money, but it has that bright spike.

The bass on both is good--better than average--for a balanced can the under $100 segment. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #23,267 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, after reading the OP, I guess this is the thread to post in although please redirect me if I'm wrong (or if you think I should create a new thread).

I am a professional classical musician and also an avid PC gamer (mainly shooters). I've been using my urBeats earphones for everything until recently when I thought i should probably start using a pair of headphones for the health of my ears. Now I'm hunting around for a good pair of headphones for gaming/classical music (I know, a strange combination) and I would really appreciate some advice.

Basically, I've been doing a lot of reading and research and I've narrowed my search down to the Sennheiser 380 Pro and the HD 598. The shop that I found them at are selling them for 140 Francs and 199 Francs respectively (I live in Switzerland. This equals roughly USD154 and USD218). I am leaning towards the 380 Pro, partly due to the cheaper price but also because of its closed back nature. This would be useful for when I'm doing recordings and also for when I don't want to hear what my girlfriend is watching on the TV when I'm playing on my PC. All the reviews seem to rave about them, but one review did mention that they think it's not the best for classical music, even though it is still a very versatile headset. The HD 598 seem like a safe bet since everyone had good things to say about it and they seem good for just about anything. But they have open backs which I think can get annoying. Basically, I guess I just want to know if the audio quality of the HD 598 is really much better than the 380 Pro or not, especially in terms of classical music. If it is, I'll get the HD 598. If the difference is not that big, I'll settle for the 380 Pro.

Also, I don't have a special sound card and is just using the onboard device. Would this end up being the bottleneck so no matter which headphones i get, they'll all sound pretty much the same? Thanks a lot guys!

The 598 is a great can, but I don't think that an open headphone will work for you situation.  It appears that you need the isolation and low sound leakage that are found in closed cans.  However, quality closed cans will not give you the sound stage of quality open or semi-open cans in the same price range.

If you go with closed cans, you should consider the KRK KNS 6400 or 8400, depending on your budget and prices in your market.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #23,268 of 29,490
Quote:
hi everyone

I want to buy a over-ear headphone for maximum 400$. I was reading a lot about it in these forums but might still missing some points. So I'd like to share my thoughts and ask for any recommendations. thx a lot.

open/closed: I decided that I want some closed headphones. I will mostly listen to them at home where it doesn't matter. but occasionally, I also want to be able to use them in a train/plane without upsetting everyone. So as long as they are closed I don't care to much about their isolation.

types of music: everything (classical music, pop, rock, folk, minimal, drum and base, ...). In general I like rhythmic music though.
I think a strong and good bass is important, but it doesn't have to be predominant.

experience with other headphones: I have very little experience. I just bought some Bose AE2 for my brother for Christmas, mostly because they were rly comfortable and I hadn't the time to do any research (yeah, I now saw that you guys here don't like Bose very much ^^). While I liked hearing to them in general, they clearly lacked in bass and are therefore no option.

source: I mostly hear to music using my laptop (Thinkpad) and else my iphone. I have no amp at the moment but would consider buying a portable one if the headphone would need it (recommendations are appreciated). I think I will consider buying an external soundcard for the laptop at some point in future, but not right now.

others: Comfort is very important to me, since I would like to be able to wear them the whole day without any pain.
My head is rather big.
Exchangeable cords would be a plus, since I tend to roll over these things with my chair. (dunno which ones have these)

Headphones I found with prices I could buy them (the prices are in CHF, but thats nearly the same as $ right now). I have tried to summarize them in some short words, from what i've read:

ULTRASONE Pro 750:                 360$ (comfortable, to much treble?, to expensive?)
DENON AH-D2000:                     350$ (very comfortable, worth the price?)
SONY MDR-XB1000:                   270$ (very comfortable, heavy, very big, just good for bass?)
AKG K 550:                                209$ (very comfortable, mb a bit thin and clinical)
AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-M50:       170$ (uncomfortable?)
BEYERDYNAMIC DT 770 Pro 80: 165$ (very comfortable, v-shaped, to much bass?)
SENNHEISER HD 558:                159$ (uncomfortable, heavy, not much bass, boring?)

Have I missed any?

I know it would be best to test them myself but its kind of hard to find a store where I can actually try them on :/

Right know I'm leaning towards the AKG K 550 or mb the dt 770.

Thanks a lot, for all comments/answers/suggestions!

Here's the problem: none of the cans you listed works well for fill you described preferred sound signature and for unamped use in both your home and on the go.  All of them are big.  Only the Pro 750 would be even OK in terms of size and design for portable use.  It has a sound signature you might enjoy if you are OK with bright headphones, but it needs an amp.

In my view you first need to decide whether to put your money in one can that will do all the things you want, or use it to buy two cans--one for home and one for the road.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #23,269 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I own the M-100 and it's definitely not balanced-sounding. You can check out my review for them in my signature and/or my profile page and/or my review on Amazon USA (my Amazon name is narfybob). The L1 might be a better choice in this regards since the M-100's sound is bewen the LP and the M-80.
The M-100 excels with electronic and DNB music though

Thanks for your review, it was pretty informative.
So what can I get for 200-300$ for Electronic music? I thought M-100 is the best choice + customization is pretty cool...
I would like to have detachable cable idealy.
Any ideas?

Yeah definitely, the M-100 is a great choice for electronic music. I usually don't listen to electronic or DNB, but when I do, I always turn to my M-100's for that nice chest-thumping bass, even if the midrange is laid-back and the soundstage isn't as wide as I would like it to be. And yes, the customisation is a really unique feature for V-MODA products, but those come at an additional cost.

Normally for electronic music, people would recommend an Ultrasone headphone, but those tend to not be very balanced-sounding from my experience.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #23,270 of 29,490
Hi, as a late christmas gift, I can get headphones that cost around $60.
I listen mainly to metal/rock
The headphones should be circum aural and closed back
I can get an amp if needed.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #23,271 of 29,490

For your use you might want to check out Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 as well. They're also open back but for your needs and budget you will get more quality with an open can.

I'll have a look into them, but unfortunately the shop I usually go for tech stuff doesn't stock Audio-Technica. I don't suppose you have any suggestions for good, cheap international online stores that's particularly good for audio equipment? (as in, something other than eBay or Amazon).

Quote:
The 598 is a great can, but I don't think that an open headphone will work for you situation.  It appears that you need the isolation and low sound leakage that are found in closed cans.  However, quality closed cans will not give you the sound stage of quality open or semi-open cans in the same price range.

If you go with closed cans, you should consider the KRK KNS 6400 or 8400, depending on your budget and prices in your market.

Thanks a lot for your advice! Yes, I would prefer the sound isolation provided by closed cans, but how big is the difference exactly in terms of sound quality? Man i would love to try them out but it's hard to find a place here that let's us do that. I'll look into the KRK cans. A quick look at the store I usually shop at shows the KNS 8400 being available for CHF179 which is roughly USD190, does that sound like a good deal? Also, would you say these are better than the 380 Pro in terms of sound stage but not as good as the HD 598? Thanks again!

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #23,272 of 29,490
Hey guys,
I'm still new here so I hope this is in the right place.

As I travel a lot, I am looking for a pair of active**** noise canceling headphones:

***:  I would consider non NC headphones if they otherwise match what I am looking for

Budget:  350 USD

I care more about audio performance than noise canceling but NC would be nice.
(I recently had the Bose QC 15 and hated them)

I listen to a wide genre of music, but mostly Electronic (house, trance, dub step), Rap, Indy Rock (of monsters and men), and I dabble in metal.

My source will be my iPhone 4 or my macbook pro, WITHOUT amplification (however, if needed, I would consider purchasing a portable amp)

MY CONSIDERATIONS:

I'm looking for something with adequate bass to handle electronic music, but something with a nice sound signature and great soundstage for  rock.

- polk audio ultrafocus 8000

- AKG K 490

-  AKG K 495

-  Audio Technica ATH-ANC 9 

It would be great if I could get some help.

Thanks for your time,

Nick

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #23,273 of 29,490
First post post ever! I am looking for some help on finding a good pair of headphones for movies/tv shows. I listen to music also, but I watch way more than I listen to music. I am trying to find over the ear type of headphones for $50 and below.  

I was thinking about the Monoprice 8323, Panasonic RP HTX7, and Incipio NX-103 f38. 

I wanted the sound quality and comfort (because I'd be wearing them for a long period of time) to be the best possible for the money. I am not too good with modding and so I was hoping I could find advice on the best SQ and comfort. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #23,274 of 29,490
Quote:
First post post ever! I am looking for some help on finding a good pair of headphones for movies/tv shows. I listen to music also, but I watch way more than I listen to music. I am trying to find over the ear type of headphones for $50 and below.  

I was thinking about the Monoprice 8323, Panasonic RP HTX7, and Incipio NX-103 f38. 

I wanted the sound quality and comfort (because I'd be wearing them for a long period of time) to be the best possible for the money. I am not too good with modding and so I was hoping I could find advice on the best SQ and comfort. 

Well, you've certainly got some good choices there already.
But, I personally think, if you are looking for headphones more for movies and such more than music, the Panasonic HTF-600 would be a better choice, due to it being a semi-open can. Semi-open gives a better soundstage, which is a big plus for movies and tv. Music, too, of course.

The HTF-600 costs around $30-35 on Amazon. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #23,275 of 29,490
Quote:

For your use you might want to check out Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 as well. They're also open back but for your needs and budget you will get more quality with an open can.

I'll have a look into them, but unfortunately the shop I usually go for tech stuff doesn't stock Audio-Technica. I don't suppose you have any suggestions for good, cheap international online stores that's particularly good for audio equipment? (as in, something other than eBay or Amazon).

Quote:

Thanks a lot for your advice! Yes, I would prefer the sound isolation provided by closed cans, but how big is the difference exactly in terms of sound quality? Man i would love to try them out but it's hard to find a place here that let's us do that. I'll look into the KRK cans. A quick look at the store I usually shop at shows the KNS 8400 being available for CHF179 which is roughly USD190, does that sound like a good deal? Also, would you say these are better than the 380 Pro in terms of sound stage but not as good as the HD 598? Thanks again!

I have not heard the 380 Pro, but have read that at least some classical music lovers find them to be too bassy for that genre.  Fact is that I don't know of any closed can that has even an OK sound stage by quality open and semi-open can standards until you get to the Shure SRH 940.  The 8400 is an outstanding balanced closed can in its price class.  I got mine this past summer for $110 (a very good price).  At the moment they are $132 at Amazon.

In the end you will have to compromise on sound stage (by buying a quality close can) or on leakage and isolation (by buying a quality open can).  Perhaps a semi-open can will fall into the middle ground that is most acceptable to your needs.

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #23,276 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,
I'm still new here so I hope this is in the right place.

As I travel a lot, I am looking for a pair of active**** noise canceling headphones:

***:  I would consider non NC headphones if they otherwise match what I am looking for

Budget:  350 USD

I care more about audio performance than noise canceling but NC would be nice.
(I recently had the Bose QC 15 and hated them)

I listen to a wide genre of music, but mostly Electronic (house, trance, dub step), Rap, Indy Rock (of monsters and men), and I dabble in metal.

My source will be my iPhone 4 or my macbook pro, WITHOUT amplification (however, if needed, I would consider purchasing a portable amp)

MY CONSIDERATIONS:

I'm looking for something with adequate bass to handle electronic music, but something with a nice sound signature and great soundstage for  rock.

- polk audio ultrafocus 8000

- AKG K 490

-  AKG K 495

-  Audio Technica ATH-ANC 9 

It would be great if I could get some help.

Thanks for your time,

Nick

Noise cancelling headphones will ALWAYS sound worse than regular cans in the price range. 
Noise cancellation is good, but, simple isolation is better in terms of comfort.

From what you are telling me, it sounds like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro would be a great choice for your needs. 
They isolate well, and, with their unique sound slider on the headphone, allow the headphone to be great for generally every genre, especially electronic, because the slider changes the amount of bass that the headphone produces.
Plus, they have a VERY low impedance, so, an amp is not needed at all.
The Custom One Pro goes around $180-$200 on Amazon.

If you do want to spend a bit more, I would take a look at the Audio Technica ATH-A900x

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #23,277 of 29,490
Quote:
I have not heard the 380 Pro, but have read that at least some classical music lovers find them to be too bassy for that genre.  Fact is that I don't know of any closed can that has even an OK sound stage by quality open and semi-open can standards until you get to the Shure SRH 940.  The 8400 is an outstanding balanced closed can in its price class.  I got mine this past summer for $110 (a very good price).  At the moment they are $132 at Amazon.

In the end you will have to compromise on sound stage (by buying a quality close can) or on leakage and isolation (by buying a quality open can).  Perhaps a semi-open can will fall into the middle ground that is most acceptable to your needs.

Thanks again for the great advice. I haven't come across any mentioning of a semi-open can, could you please provide an example? But speaking of the Shure, I just looked it up on my shop's website and they have the Shure SRH 840 for CHF187 (approx. USD205), how is that? Would you say they're close to the SRH940 and better than the KNS 8400?

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #23,278 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again for the great advice. I haven't come across any mentioning of a semi-open can, could you please provide an example? But speaking of the Shure, I just looked it up on my shop's website and they have the Shure SRH 840 for CHF187 (approx. USD205), how is that? Would you say they're close to the SRH940 and better than the KNS 8400?

Two excellent semi-open cans are the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro) and AKG Q 701.  Since I can't recommend the Beyer 80 Ohm version, both of these cans need to be amped.  Therefore, they probably will not work for you with your current equipment.  The AKG K 240 Studio is the next step down.  It is very good for only $61 or so that we can now snap it up in the U.S. at Amazon.  It was good in former $100 +/- range.

The Shure SRH 840 and SRH 940 have different sound signatures.  The 840 has a mid-bass hump and somewhat recessed highs, while still being not too far from neutral.  The 940 is very close to neutral and has great clarity.  It is my favorite closed headphone in its price class and would be a very strong choice for listening to classical music with a closed can.

The 8400 is more neutral than the 840.  It has less bass and is brighter.  The 8400 is the better choice for classical music.  The 8400 is a very good can in its price class, but clearly a tier below the 940 in terms of quality (and price).

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #23,279 of 29,490
I am looking for an over-ear closed headphone with a maximum price of 330 US Dollar/250 Euro. It must replace my 8 year-old Sony MDR-V700.

It must not be extremely big. Have only one cable. It's not for on the go, but I have to put it back in a shelf everyday after working though. No amplifier will be used and it must go directly into my iPhone. I do prefer a high amount of noise cancellation, so I will not be hearing my colleagues talking. It's important nearby people don't hear my music.

I will only play progressive electronic music. I like a good/reasonable amount of bass, but not more then the producer created. It must be comfortable to wear. I listen up to 4 hours daily and the headphone band must be very comfortable so it doesn't start irritating with my head and hair. I will be using it for about 70 hours/month and it must be sturdy so I can use it at least for 3 years.

In 2009 I bought an Alien Ears 3-driver custom IEM to replace my Sony MDR-V700. Unfortunately the mold didn't fit well of one ear and there already was a cable defect after 3 weeks of using them. Since then it's still in it's case. I plan to remold it and buy new cables for it. But it never could replace the Sony's. With the IEM's I wasn't being able to take my headphone off immediately and this is necessary when I receive a phone call.

If I like the new headphone, I will buy one for at home too. There I will be using it in my home theater with a 110" projector screen. I watch tv series late at night, before I go to bed and I don't want to annoy my neighbours, I am used to headphones while watching instead of using a surround system. It always come in handy when this new headphone also works good with home theater sounds, but it's not a must.

Any thoughts on which headphones I should check out? I would be happy to receive some model type names, so I can read more about them.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #23,280 of 29,490
Quote:
Two excellent semi-open cans are the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro) and AKG Q 701.  Since I can't recommend the Beyer 80 Ohm version, both of these cans need to be amped.  Therefore, they probably will not work for you with your current equipment.  The AKG K 240 Studio is the next step down.  It is very good for only $61 or so that we can now snap it up in the U.S. at Amazon.  It was good in former $100 +/- range.

The Shure SRH 840 and SRH 940 have different sound signatures.  The 840 has a mid-bass hump and somewhat recessed highs, while still being not too far from neutral.  The 940 is very close to neutral and has great clarity.  It is my favorite closed headphone in its price class and would be a very strong choice for listening to classical music with a closed can.

The 8400 is more neutral than the 840.  It has less bass and is brighter.  The 8400 is the better choice for classical music.  The 8400 is a very good can in its price class, but clearly a tier below the 940 in terms of quality (and price).

Hmm I'm not sure what you meant by you couldn't recommend the Beyer 80 Ohm and that they need to be amped. Sorry! I just looked up the Shure SRH 940 and unfortunately it is too expensive for me. Also, I had a quick look on my favourite store's website and they do stock the DT 880 Pro, but at CHF275, it is also too high above my price range. However, they do have the DT 990 Pro for CHF190 for some reason. I presume with the higher model number, it is the better one but then it is much cheaper. What do you think? But would I need extra hardware to make these work? Otherwise, I might just go with the 8400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back