++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 31, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #22,741 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Haven't heard them, but have read that they have bass significantly beyond neutral and even beyond the mid bass hump of the SRH 840.

My budget just shrank so outside of the KRK is there another set of headphones you would recommend between 100-150 bucks?

The CAL! (which has a short/long detachable/plug together cable system) and semi-open AKG K 240 Studio are good--and both under $100.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #22,743 of 29,490
Quote:

If it's Monster, there's almost always going to be much better options, and this situation goes right along with that.

Agreed. I've listened to Monster products on various occasions, and I scoff as my $80 earbuds can even beat them out in many different scenarios. Nevertheless, you're sacrificing potential quality vs. price for "fashionability" and a name. Many people here are very pro Sennheiser, Shure, and other not as well known brands, such as Etymotic. 

Best of Luck!

~Kami

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #22,744 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't know that I would agree with that (overly restrictive) description of sound signature.  Also a balanced sound signature never has recessed mids.  All that said, you apparently want a can with recessed mids; that is a "V" shaped sound signature.  However that makes things a bit more confusing, as most Sony's are mid-centric cans--or at least do not feature recessed mids.  Perhaps you are referring to their XB (extra bass) line.

Active noise canceling cans tend to be quite expensive for what you get.  They are not my thing, but perhaps you can start here if they are yours:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-noise-canceling

I specifically mentioned the Sony's because of the comfort, not sound. Beside that, if you think V signature is restrictive, then you tell me what to get; that's why I'm here. Also, those noise cancelling cans are too much for me; open ear is fine. Just point me in the right direction.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #22,745 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Don't know that I would agree with that (overly restrictive) description of sound signature.  Also a balanced sound signature never has recessed mids.  All that said, you apparently want a can with recessed mids; that is a "V" shaped sound signature.  However that makes things a bit more confusing, as most Sony's are mid-centric cans--or at least do not feature recessed mids.  Perhaps you are referring to their XB (extra bass) line.

Active noise canceling cans tend to be quite expensive for what you get.  They are not my thing, but perhaps you can start here if they are yours:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-noise-canceling

I specifically mentioned the Sony's because of the comfort, not sound. Beside that, if you think V signature is restrictive, then you tell me what to get; that's why I'm here. Also, those noise cancelling cans are too much for me; open ear is fine. Just point me in the right direction.

I don't think you have yet been able to be specific enough to produce a good result.  Maybe you can try some headphones at a local store and tell us, within your budget, what you liked and what you didn't--and why. 

Another good place to start is to read the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread.  Read the full reviews of the cans that appeal to you.  The links to those reviews are provided in the guides. Then once again, within your budget, tell us what you liked and what you didn't--and why.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #22,746 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't think you have yet been able to be specific enough to produce a good result.  Maybe you can try some headphones at a local store and tell us, within your budget, what you liked and what you didn't--and why. 

Another good place to start is to read the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread.  Read the full reviews of the cans that appeal to you.  The links to those reviews are provided in the guides. Then once again, within your budget, tell us what you liked and what you didn't--and why.

OK, I'll go out tomorrow and try some on and see what I like. I'll try and get back to you tomorrow night.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #22,747 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The CAL! (which has a short/long detachable/plug together cable system) and semi-open AKG K 240 Studio are good--and both under $100.

How would you compare the KRK  KNS-6400 compare to those you just listed and if the 6400 are better overall, would the KRK 8400 worth the extra money?

All of that depends on the uses your intend for them and personal preference. 

The KRK has the best build and folds flat.  The other two offer a little more bass, but the AKG is a poor choice for portable use.  The CAL! is light and comfortable, but lightly built.  Only the CAL! comes with a cord suitable for portable use out of the box.  Such a cord for the KRK will cost you another $15 to $20 shipped.

I suggest that you look up each in the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread.  Longer reviews of each are in turn linked from the buying guides.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #22,748 of 29,490
Hey guys, I just bought the DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphones from Amazon.  Anyways I'm asking what are the best amps to go with these?  Looking to spend no more than $200.

Thanks

I listen to mainly hip-hop/rap, R&B, some electronic

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #22,749 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I just bought the DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphones from Amazon.  Anyways I'm asking what are the best amps to go with these?  Looking to spend no more than $200.

Thanks

I think it would be wise to know if this amp is going to be portable or not.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #22,752 of 29,490
Quote:

The KRK has the best build and folds flat.  The other two offer a little more bass, but the AKG is a poor choice for portable use.  The CAL! is light and comfortable, but lightly built.  Only the CAL! comes with a cord suitable for portable use out of the box.  Such a cord for the KRK will cost you another $15 to $20 shipped.

I suggest that you look up each in the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread.  Longer reviews of each are in turned linked from the buying guides.

Well they won't be for portable use I don't really care about that. It sucks that I can't just listen to them to see what I like more. I don't have any "good" headphones to compare to see what I really like. I know it is between the AKGs and KRK 6400. I would like something would good bass, but nothing that might overwhelm everything else. I have no idea if I would like something that is flat sounding or not. I read that the KRKs are suppose to be more accurate to how the song is suppose to be, but I wonder if it will make "low quality" songs sound worse. It seems that KRK might be a good headset for a person who has a diverse music taste though. The big thing the AKGs have going for them for me right now is price as they are only $62 on Amazon atm. Anyways thanks for the help.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #22,753 of 29,490
Quote:
It's at or near the Amazon historically low price according to the Camelizer.

bought it for 104.86 $ :) and now price is back to 200

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #22,754 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks

There's only a limited number of amps that will reliably push 600 Ohm cans (in general) at that price point.  Too bad you missed the Mass Drop for the Matrix M-Stage at $177 shipped.  Take a look at the O2 at JDS Labs.

Don't know if the new "Little Schiit" Magni will power them.  However, Schiit claims it will push the HE-500.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #22,755 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I suggest that you look up each in the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread.  Longer reviews of each are in turned linked from the buying guides.

Well they won't be for portable use I don't really care about that. It sucks that I can't just listen to them to see what I like more. I don't have any "good" headphones to compare to see what I really like. I know it is between the AKGs and KRK 6400. I would like something would good bass, but nothing that might overwhelm everything else. I have no idea if I would like something that is flat sounding or not. I read that the KRKs are suppose to be more accurate to how the song is suppose to be, but I wonder if it will make "low quality" songs sound worse. It seems that KRK might be a good headset for a person who has a diverse music taste though. The big thing the AKGs have going for them for me right now is price as they are only $62 on Amazon atm. Anyways thanks for the help.

Both the KRK and AKG are well respected studio quality cans.  The one you pick may or may not be perfectly suited to your taste, but you will have a quality headphone in this general price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back