++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #22,711 of 29,490
Quote:
Fiio E10 is not portable, it is a small USB powered amp/DAC. I will, however, start a new thread in the right category when that time comes. First I must convince my partner that a new set of cans really are needed.

Your best source for the proper matching of an amp or amp/dac are the appreciation threads for those particular cans.

I like the little HiFiMan EF 2A as an entry level desktop amp.  It also has a decent DAC according to reviews, but I have not really used that feature on mine.

Also Schiit has very recently come out with some new budget products, see:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640774/this-schiit-is-bananas-99-schiit-magni-amp-and-99-modi-dac

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #22,712 of 29,490
A local store near me has a pair of used [ aesthetic condition, I'd rate 8- ], in perfect working condition Denon D5000 on sale for 350 euro (about 460$). I did some research, and as I'm quite a basshead, I think I should grab this pair, if only as as investment. I like their sound a lot as well. 

Musical preference: I listen to house, electro, alternative rock, dubstep and DnB

Source: iPod Touch 4G for portable use
Dune B1 --> flac though hdmi --> Yamaha RX-V667 A/V receiver

Budget: about 575$

Any ideas / suggestions?

Cheers,

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #22,713 of 29,490
Quote:
A local store near me has a pair of used [ aesthetic condition, I'd rate 8- ], in perfect working condition Denon D5000 on sale for 350 euro (about 460$). I did some research, and as I'm quite a basshead, I think I should grab this pair, if only as as investment. I like their sound a lot as well. 

I listen to house, electro, alternative rock, dubstep and DnB

Any ideas / suggestions?

Cheers,

That seems like a very good price these days, especially if the wood cups are in good shape.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #22,714 of 29,490
Hi all ! I'm new here, I finally decide to change my Koss porta pro after more than ten year of good and loyal services (1999 !!) I love it, really, but i want a new one, my playlist of music have change since 1999 and i listen now all kind ! But i'm always love with bass, maybe not a basshead, not far, because i try a Beats, and It's sound horrible with both ost i heard, exemple with the music of Dark Knight Rise, Gotham's Reckoning ... OMG... Ok Beats are good with hip hop G-funk and electro, but like i said, i switch from Enya at ACDC...  So i'm looking for a polyvalent headphone, with bass, beautiful and big basses, but the mid and hight need to be great too !! Also, i listen only with my android Galaxy S3 and application PowerAMP for EQ, and my Laptop MSI with Sound blaster Audigy Advanced MB with THX Studio & EQ. And i don't want to buy an headphone AMP, so this headphone have to be drive easily. My max budget : 100 € / $  My choice for now after lot of hours of reading this forum are : 
- Sennheiser PX 360
- Sony MDR XB500
- Sony MDR XB700 (hardnto find)
- Shure SRH 750 or 550
- Sony MDR V55
- RHA S950i 

In advance, thanks for your answers !

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #22,715 of 29,490
Hello all! I am looking for a good pair of cans for $100-$250

Music: Metal, Classic Rock, Folk, and Dubstep

Price: 100-250

Encoding: Mp3-vbr

Amp: If possible i want an amp for around $100 but i have no idea what, i like the warm sound that tube amps provide but i want it to be portable so if that is possible it would be nice

If you would like any additional information i would be happy to tell you but this is all i have thought of right now.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #22,716 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all! I am looking for a good pair of cans for $100-$250

Music: Metal, Classic Rock, Folk, and Dubstep

Price: 100-250

Encoding: Mp3-vbr

Amp: If possible i want an amp for around $100 but i have no idea what, i like the warm sound that tube amps provide but i want it to be portable so if that is possible it would be nice

If you would like any additional information i would be happy to tell you but this is all i have thought of right now.

The cheapest decent (small hybrid desktop) amp with tubes I know of is the HIFiMan EF 2A.

What sound signature are you seeking in your cans?

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #22,717 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm looking for full-sized, noise cancelling headphones and willing to pay up to $400. After doing some research, I'm trying to decide between these headphones:

1. Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9
  2. Bose QuietComfort 15
  3. Sennheiser PXC 450

I've been able to try out the QC 15 and I really like them. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any stores in my area that have the PXC 450 and the ATH-ANC9 available to try.

I prefer closed and unamped. Right now, I use my HiFiMAN RE-0 at home and Apple Earpods everywhere else to listen to music on my iPod Classic 5th, iPhone 5, and laptop. I would use the headphones mostly for listening to music, which I think I spend around 6 hours per day doing, along with occasionally for TV shows and movies. I listen to rock, hip-hop/rap, and electronic. Examples are Adelitas Way, Sick Puppies, Eminem, Swollen Members, Glitch Mob, and Pretty Lights. I haven't owned any headphones before so these would be my first, but I'm hoping that spending a good amount of money would mean good quality and durability to last for a few years.

With the above information, which of these three headphones would you recommend for me? Are there any other headphones I should consider? If there is anything else you'd like to know that would help you make a recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks!

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #22,718 of 29,490
Quote:
The cheapest decent (small hybrid desktop) amp with tubes I know of is the HIFiMan EF 2A.

The sound sig that i enjoy is a punch but not overpowering bass and crisp uppers, I am willing to give up a little on the mids but not too much. Sorry about the bad description but i have not been doing this for very long. Going back to the amp i was not actually saying i wanted a tube amp, i know those cant be portable, so sorry for being unclear i was just wondering if there was an actual portable amp that had a similar sound to it.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #22,719 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

I'm looking for full-sized, noise cancelling headphones and willing to pay up to $400. After doing some research, I'm trying to decide between these headphones:

1. Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9
  2. Bose QuietComfort 15 Dont Choose Bose, in the past i have had very negative experiences with customer service and build quality. ( although i am quite new to this so dont take my opinion as the only good answer i am sure most people here have much more experience so i could be the exception)
  3. Sennheiser PXC 450

I've been able to try out the QC 15 and I really like them. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any stores in my area that have the PXC 450 and the ATH-ANC9 available to try.

I prefer closed and unamped. Right now, I use my HiFiMAN RE-0 at home and Apple Earpods everywhere else to listen to music on my iPod Classic 5th, iPhone 5, and laptop. I would use the headphones mostly for listening to music, which I think I spend around 6 hours per day doing, along with occasionally for TV shows and movies. I listen to rock, hip-hop/rap, and electronic. Examples are Adelitas Way, Sick Puppies, Eminem, Swollen Members, Glitch Mob, and Pretty Lights. I haven't owned any headphones before so these would be my first, but I'm hoping that spending a good amount of money would mean good quality and durability to last for a few years.

With the above information, which of these three headphones would you recommend for me? Are there any other headphones I should consider? If there is anything else you'd like to know that would help you make a recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks!

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #22,720 of 29,490
Does anyone know if on-ears are acceptable for recording? I've never seen a studio with on-ears.

Would the 518s be good for recording? My only other options are 280/380 but I'm afraid they'll get uncomfortable because of the pleather. Anyone else w big ears?

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #22,722 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The sound sig that i enjoy is a punch but not overpowering bass and crisp uppers, I am willing to give up a little on the mids but not too much. Sorry about the bad description but i have not been doing this for very long. Going back to the amp i was not actually saying i wanted a tube amp, i know those cant be portable, so sorry for being unclear i was just wondering if there was an actual portable amp that had a similar sound to it.

Ultrasone HiFi 780 without an amp, or the better (and more expensive) Pro 750 with one.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #22,724 of 29,490
Quote:
Does anyone know if on-ears are acceptable for recording? I've never seen a studio with on-ears.

Would the 518s be good for recording? My only other options are 280/380 but I'm afraid they'll get uncomfortable because of the pleather. Anyone else w big ears?

If your are talking about Senns, the HD 518 is a bit too dark and not neutral enough.  Don't know about the other two.  Almost everything in that price range will have pleather pads.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #22,725 of 29,490
Quote:
If your are talking about Senns, the HD 518 is a bit too dark and not neutral enough.  Don't know about the other two.  Almost everything in that price range will have pleather pads.

If open headphones are an option, I can't stress how good the Takstar Hi2050 are, especially for the price. It's got velour pads, a somewhat-metal build, and is pretty neutral sounding. Goes for about $70 on eBay. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back