++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #22,696 of 29,490
I got Grado SR60i recently, I love the sound quality but I'm not fond of how they feel. After lurking in the mod thread for a while I decided I'm either going to create c-pads or just buy new headphones.

I don't have any experience with high end headphones. Koss Portapro was my last pair.

I love the design of the Incase Sonics as well as aiaiai. I have a huge head and everything I have read says Sonics are the most comfortable thing ever. They look like they won't be hurt by the rain, the cable doesn't look like it's trying to strangle me. However I don't want to buy them if they will sound worse than what I already have. I mostly listen to rock, progressive rock and metal. I like classical, instrumental music and soundtracks. The biggest difference I noticed between my Grados and Koss headphones is how different the piano sounds. I think this is because of an improved high frequency.

I have read that Grados are not neutral headphones, and I'm not sure if I like that. It seems like a better idea to get something that sounds good with everything. I listen to a wide variety of genres. I don't have enough experience to know if I would actually prefer something neutral, though.

I'll mostly be listening to mp3s from my macbook and ipod. I use Skype and watch movies. I don't have an amp but I may buy one in the future. I don't want to spend more than $100.

So what do you think? Should I go for the Sonics? Try something else? Or just accept what I have right now and wait until I can afford to get two pairs rather than totally replacing my Grados?

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #22,698 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

It is for home use and it is for the computer. I don't have a AMP and I don't think I would need one right now. Basically the set up is plug the headphones into the jack and listen lol. As for them leaking sound, I don't really want them to leak sound, but I don't mind. As for the format, mp3 and some FLAC audio. As for what kind of sound signature, something that is good all around since I listen to lots of different kinds of music (from Classical to Rock to Techno, etc). Yea it is very basic.

Excellent in their/your price class wired cans with detachable cables and that do not need an amp include the Shure SRH 840 and KRK KNS 8400.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #22,699 of 29,490
Audio Source: Ipod, Iphone, Shuffle, Computer

Used for: Rap, Hip-Hop, Dubstep, rock, Electro. (Mainly Rap)

Budget: 150 dollars and under,

What i understand tilll now is 780's and m50's are great can anyone steer me onto the path for which head set i should go with, (btw im looking for over ears or on ears)

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #22,700 of 29,490
Quote:
I have sold all of my mediocre headphones in order to transform my collection away from quantity and steer more against quality. I ended up with HD25 as my sealed portable choice and JVC FX-HA80 for when IEM are needed. I can, however, not decide what to buy when it comes to full size, open headphones for home use.

I am hoping I can find some headphones that will accomodate my wishes for under $400 (including amplifier if needed).

The sound I am looking for is best described as defined, detailed, clear and open. The bass should be snappy and powerful, but at the same time not overpowering. I do not care to much about total flat and analytical sound signature, I am after all listening to music, not analyzing it.

When it comes to comfort I am not very picky, but I will be using them for hours at a time, so it can not be a total disaster in this area.

They will be used both for music and movies, but the main focus lays in the music. I listen to most genres, but with an emphasis in rock and hip hop. At the moment Tom Waits, Muse and Common are at the top of my most played (internationally known) artists.

I have previously owned Beyerdynamic DT770 pro, Audio Technica ath-m50 and everything below.

The only brands that are sold locally are AKG, (some) Sennheiser, (some) Beyerdynamic, Sony, Denon and a lot that I would not even consider based on reviews I have read. If I order from abroad I will have to pay 25% extra in VAT + some customs handling fee and of course shipping.

Thank you...

Have no idea what your local prices are.  That said, the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro)--at least 250 Ohm version-- or Senn HD 650.  Both should be amped.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #22,701 of 29,490
Has anyone heard the jbl j88?back in 08 i had their 410 reference on the ear hp.they had lot of bass thump for some small hp's.i haven't bought any hp since then until recently...i needed some closed,over the ears , with a detachable cord hps.i bought the hesh 2.0...horrible buy.i also bought the gemini hrs-1000 from amazon for $81.i been reading a lot of theads.i wanted the ath pro700 mk2 but couldnt find them anywhere under $200.i really need something with the above plus bass w/wo an amp.im planning on getting the fiio E12.price range: below $160.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #22,702 of 29,490
Quote:
I'll just quote myself here since I've been kinda ignored the last couple of pages.
Quote:
Hey guys

Ever since I got more interested in music, my pair of old logitech speakers is anything but satisfying. Now I am looking for a closed, preferably around the ear headphone to get me started into audiophiledom

Audio Source: PC Mainboard sound without any Amp

Used for: Music exclusively. Minimal/Ambient/Dub Techno, UK Garage/Funky/Dubstep, Deep House, Drone, Ambient, Post-Rock, Hardcore Punk/Screamo/Emoviolence, Emo, Post-/Black Metal, Free Jazz/Bebop/Swing, Trip/Hip Hop, Noise, Pop ... basically anything. I got in-ears for outside use, so I don't need straight up portables. Although it would be a plus to be able to use them on a longer trip by train or something like that.

Extra: Should I get a proper Soundcard or an Amp or something like that? And if so what would you suggest?

Budget: ~200€ tops for the headphones, below or about 300€ including  soundcard/amp etc.

Thanks in advance!

You haven't been ignored.  You probably have not received a response because you are asking about more than headphones, and not all of us know your musical genres.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #22,703 of 29,490
Quote:
Can someone recommend a pair of closed cans good for music and movies in the sub 100$ region. Was thinking about Sennheiser HD449 or something similar and wondering if there' something better for the money. Would be great if it were widely available.

KRK KNS-6400.  Your price range and requirement for closed cans limits your options, especially (but not only) for listening to movies.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #22,705 of 29,490
Quote:
I got Grado SR60i recently, I love the sound quality but I'm not fond of how they feel. After lurking in the mod thread for a while I decided I'm either going to create c-pads or just buy new headphones.

I don't have any experience with high end headphones. Koss Portapro was my last pair.

I love the design of the Incase Sonics as well as aiaiai. I have a huge head and everything I have read says Sonics are the most comfortable thing ever. They look like they won't be hurt by the rain, the cable doesn't look like it's trying to strangle me. However I don't want to buy them if they will sound worse than what I already have. I mostly listen to rock, progressive rock and metal. I like classical, instrumental music and soundtracks. The biggest difference I noticed between my Grados and Koss headphones is how different the piano sounds. I think this is because of an improved high frequency.

I have read that Grados are not neutral headphones, and I'm not sure if I like that. It seems like a better idea to get something that sounds good with everything. I listen to a wide variety of genres. I don't have enough experience to know if I would actually prefer something neutral, though.

I'll mostly be listening to mp3s from my macbook and ipod. I use Skype and watch movies. I don't have an amp but I may buy one in the future. I don't want to spend more than $100.

So what do you think? Should I go for the Sonics? Try something else? Or just accept what I have right now and wait until I can afford to get two pairs rather than totally replacing my Grados?

I have never heard the Sonics.  I know that the KRK KNS-6400 is on neutral turf and is very good.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #22,706 of 29,490
Quote:
You haven't been ignored.  You probably have not received a response because you are asking about more than headphones, and not all of us know your musical genres.

I'm not an expert but I'd say a relatively neutral sounding headphone with mabye a slight edge in the bass region would fit those genres best. Do you have a ~200€ recommendation that fits that signature for me? For the Amp/Soundcard I can go to the according sections. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #22,707 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you, KG Jag.

I can get the HD650 for $440 while DT880 pro 250 ohm can be mine for $375. If I go for one of them, how much is necessary to spend on an amplifier? Can something like Fiio E10 do the job?

My only portable amp is the affordable and powerful--but recently discontinued HeadRoom Total AirHead, so I can't help you much with that.  I have a small collection of desktop amps.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #22,709 of 29,490
Fiio E10 is not portable, it is a small USB powered amp/DAC. I will, however, start a new thread in the right category when that time comes. First I must convince my partner that a new set of cans really are needed.

Thank you again...

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #22,710 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not an expert but I'd say a relatively neutral sounding headphone with mabye a slight edge in the bass region would fit those genres best. Do you have a ~200€ recommendation that fits that signature for me? For the Amp/Soundcard I can go to the according sections. 

The Shure SRH 840 should give you that with its mid bass hump.  [That's based on US pricing.]

Can't help you with the computer questions, as I do almost all my serious music listening by way of CD's and vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back