++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #22,682 of 29,490
Hello everyone....Sennheiser GAMING/MOVIE headphone setups????????

Im looking for headphones mainly for computer gaming and watching movies.  My friend, who is a bigger audiophile, suggested Sennheiser.  I have a few specific questions:

I was considering these setups:

1. PC350(or special edition) with astro mixamp

2. PC363 which comes with 7.1 audio(USB)

The obvious difference is 1.closed cans  2. open cans

OK QUESTIONS::::

A.  What's the main difference between open and closed cans.....It can get noisy if Im traveling but not so much at home...do I need closed cans for better blocking of background noises or do Open cans have a superior sound?

B.  What's the difference between the 7.1 audio device that comes with PC363 compared to the astro mixamp.

C.  Do i need a soundcard? external amp?  (currently have gigabyte z68a-d3h-b3 with 7.1 onboard audio)

This is mainly for the PC....but I do game on the PS3 and would like to use with that also if possible.

I want to thank you in advance for any suggestions!!   Please comment on this with opinions, suggestions, guesses(lol) 
THANK YOU

If you can talk directly---feel free to message me

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #22,683 of 29,490
Hey to all, Head-Fi! Looking for some new cans. I've never own high end headphones before so I'd like some advice (obviously). I intend on buying a decent sound card for my PC in the future (I'm a big PC enthusiast, so it'll be a nice one for sure), but I will also be using these headphones for my iPod on the go. The biggest thing for me is comfort. Second is quality. I usually listen to rock with punk influences, specifically post-hardcore/post-punk, but also venture to things like Daft Punk and Classical pieces pretty often. My budget is possibly up to $300+, but I'd really like to stay in the $100-200 range. Please do give me some suggestions!

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #22,684 of 29,490
Hi guys I'm new to Head-fi,

I have been looking for new headphones since I lost my old sennheisers from 4 years ago.  After reading up on old posts, I took interest in the Denon 2k's for overall sound quality bc I listen to a wide range of genre's (EDM, house, hip hop/rap, alternative rock, classic rock)  I've been patiently checking the market over a few weeks for some D2K's but at
1 new from $527.80 2 used
ir

from $425.00 Amazon and $400+ and S&H from the UK on ebay, these cans seem a bit overpriced.  Not sure if I should just keep checking past the holiday season or just go ahead and pull the trigger on another comparable pair.  Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Tristen

theyre expensive because the denons r out of prodction now not because of holidays. Look on the trades section. U can find better deals there

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #22,685 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey to all, Head-Fi! Looking for some new cans. I've never own high end headphones before so I'd like some advice (obviously). I intend on buying a decent sound card for my PC in the future (I'm a big PC enthusiast, so it'll be a nice one for sure), but I will also be using these headphones for my iPod on the go. The biggest thing for me is comfort. Second is quality. I usually listen to rock with punk influences, specifically post-hardcore/post-punk, but also venture to things like Daft Punk and Classical pieces pretty often. My budget is possibly up to $300+, but I'd really like to stay in the $100-200 range. Please do give me some suggestions!

What sound signature do you prefer?

Comfort can be a very individual thing.  Without putting the cans on your head, the best we can do is to improve your odds.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #22,686 of 29,490
Quote:

Comfort can be a very individual thing.  Without putting the cans on your head, the best we can do is to improve your odds.

OK had to google a bit to understand what you mean. From this :http://www.head-fi.org/t/554184/the-four-types-of-sound-signature, I'd definitely want a balanced signature. Recessed mids.

As for reference, those giant thumpers made by sony a year or so ago were incredibly comfortable. There site seems to be down, so I can't look up what they are called. I also forgot to mention that I'd like noise cancelling; I'm ok walking around with gigantic cans on my head.

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #22,687 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

OK had to google a bit to understand what you mean. From this :http://www.head-fi.org/t/554184/the-four-types-of-sound-signature, I'd definitely want a balanced signature. Recessed mids.

As for reference, those giant thumpers made by sony a year or so ago were incredibly comfortable. There site seems to be down, so I can't look up what they are called. I also forgot to mention that I'd like noise cancelling; I'm ok walking around with gigantic cans on my head.

Don't know that I would agree with that (overly restrictive) description of sound signature.  Also a balanced sound signature never has recessed mids.  All that said, you apparently want a can with recessed mids; that is a "V" shaped sound signature.  However that makes things a bit more confusing, as most Sony's are mid-centric cans--or at least do not feature recessed mids.  Perhaps you are referring to their XB (extra bass) line.

Active noise canceling cans tend to be quite expensive for what you get.  They are not my thing, but perhaps you can start here if they are yours:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-noise-canceling

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #22,688 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys I'm new to Head-fi,

I have been looking for new headphones since I lost my old sennheisers from 4 years ago.  After reading up on old posts, I took interest in the Denon 2k's for overall sound quality bc I listen to a wide range of genre's (EDM, house, hip hop/rap, alternative rock, classic rock)  I've been patiently checking the market over a few weeks for some D2K's but at
1 new from $527.80 2 used from $425.00 Amazon and $400+ and S&H from the UK on ebay, these cans seem a bit overpriced.  Not sure if I should just keep checking past the holiday season or just go ahead and pull the trigger on another comparable pair.  Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Tristen

I would say my library consists of 50% EDM/dubstep/house, 20% alternative rock/classic rock, 30% hip hop/r&b/rap... Some bands I'm pretty big on are The XX, Knife Party, Arctic Monkeys, Avicii, Kaskade

Sorry for turning this into a recommendation post, I apologize in advance lol

Moving this over from the deals thread :) 

The reason the prices on the D2000 are coming up is that they were completely discontinued when the new line came out. The prices will not be coming down at all. 

Based on your listening preferences, I'd really recommend looking into a orthodynamic headphone. A great starter headphone is the Fostex T50rp, that is modded. The Mad Dog and Paradox headphones are commercial products based on the Fostex T50RP.  Another easy to recommend entry orthodynamic would be the hifiman HE-400. I'm not sure if you're looking for something portable, or for a more at home usage. The reason this sticks out is I really got into the XX with my Mad Dog headphones. Orthodynamics really control bass to the point you can really hear individual notes. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #22,689 of 29,490
Quote:

Moving this over from the deals thread :) 

The reason the prices on the D2000 are coming up is that they were completely discontinued when the new line came out. The prices will not be coming down at all. 

Based on your listening preferences, I'd really recommend looking into a orthodynamic headphone. A great starter headphone is the Fostex T50rp, that is modded. The Mad Dog and Paradox headphones are commercial products based on the Fostex T50RP.  Another easy to recommend entry orthodynamic would be the hifiman HE-400. I'm not sure if you're looking for something portable, or for a more at home usage. The reason this sticks out is I really got into the XX with my Mad Dog headphones. Orthodynamics really control bass to the point you can really hear individual notes. 

Thanks!  I have heard a lot of good things about HE-400, I'll look into them as well. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #22,690 of 29,490
I am possibly looking into getting some new headphones. Right now I own Sennheiser RS120 which I do enjoy, but I think I need a upgrade to better sounding headphones. These are wireless and I do like the freedom it offers being able to walk around the house and not worrying about a wire shorting out or something to where only one side only works (this is the big reason why I went wireless). However I will consider wired headphones with a detachable cord. One set of headphones I was thinking about was the Shure SRH750DJ cause I heard some good things about them. I was also thinking about the Sennheiser RS160 since they are wireless and have Kleer Audio. So yea, what do you guys recommend? My budget would be between $150-$200.

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #22,691 of 29,490
Quote:
I am possibly looking into getting some new headphones. Right now I own Sennheiser RS120 which I do enjoy, but I think I need a upgrade to better sounding headphones. These are wireless and I do like the freedom it offers being able to walk around the house and not worrying about a wire shorting out or something to where only one side only works (this is the big reason why I went wireless). However I will consider wired headphones with a detachable cord. One set of headphones I was thinking about was the Shure SRH750DJ cause I heard some good things about them. I was also thinking about the Sennheiser RS160 since they are wireless and have Kleer Audio. So yea, what do you guys recommend? My budget would be between $150-$200.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #22,692 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

It is for home use and it is for the computer. I don't have a AMP and I don't think I would need one right now. Basically the set up is plug the headphones into the jack and listen lol. As for them leaking sound, I don't really want them to leak sound, but I don't mind. As for the format, mp3 and some FLAC audio. As for what kind of sound signature, something that is good all around since I listen to lots of different kinds of music (from Classical to Rock to Techno, etc). Yea it is very basic.

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #22,693 of 29,490
I have sold all of my mediocre headphones in order to transform my collection away from quantity and steer more against quality. I ended up with HD25 as my sealed portable choice and JVC FX-HA80 for when IEM are needed. I can, however, not decide what to buy when it comes to full size, open headphones for home use.

I am hoping I can find some headphones that will accomodate my wishes for under $400 (including amplifier if needed).

The sound I am looking for is best described as defined, detailed, clear and open. The bass should be snappy and powerful, but at the same time not overpowering. I do not care to much about total flat and analytical sound signature, I am after all listening to music, not analyzing it.

When it comes to comfort I am not very picky, but I will be using them for hours at a time, so it can not be a total disaster in this area.

They will be used both for music and movies, but the main focus lays in the music. I listen to most genres, but with an emphasis in rock and hip hop. At the moment Tom Waits, Muse and Common are at the top of my most played (internationally known) artists.

I have previously owned Beyerdynamic DT770 pro, Audio Technica ath-m50 and everything below.

The only brands that are sold locally are AKG, (some) Sennheiser, (some) Beyerdynamic, Sony, Denon and a lot that I would not even consider based on reviews I have read. If I order from abroad I will have to pay 25% extra in VAT + some customs handling fee and of course shipping.

Thank you...

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #22,694 of 29,490
I'll just quote myself here since I've been kinda ignored the last couple of pages.
Quote:
Hey guys

Ever since I got more interested in music, my pair of old logitech speakers is anything but satisfying. Now I am looking for a closed, preferably around the ear headphone to get me started into audiophiledom

Audio Source: PC Mainboard sound without any Amp

Used for: Music exclusively. Minimal/Ambient/Dub Techno, UK Garage/Funky/Dubstep, Deep House, Drone, Ambient, Post-Rock, Hardcore Punk/Screamo/Emoviolence, Emo, Post-/Black Metal, Free Jazz/Bebop/Swing, Trip/Hip Hop, Noise, Pop ... basically anything. I got in-ears for outside use, so I don't need straight up portables. Although it would be a plus to be able to use them on a longer trip by train or something like that.

Extra: Should I get a proper Soundcard or an Amp or something like that? And if so what would you suggest?

Budget: ~200€ tops for the headphones, below or about 300€ including  soundcard/amp etc.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #22,695 of 29,490
Can someone recommend a pair of closed cans good for music and movies in the sub 100$ region. Was thinking about Sennheiser HD449 or something similar and wondering if there' something better for the money. Would be great if it were widely available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back