++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #22,516 of 29,490
Hey guys!
Looking for a pair of headphones that I plan on using for Gaming/Music.
I generally Listen to Classic Rock (Queen and Foreigner mostly), Rock, and Country with a little bit of Jazz thrown in.
Portability doesn't matter. Durability does.
Looking at the $200 dollar price range.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #22,518 of 29,490
Forgot about this thread, I'll copy my text from my thread.

Hey guys, for the past year I've been loving my hd600s paired with my o2 out of a basic dac/guitar interface(I plan on an odac or something better at least soon) but I seem to sometimes get more enjoyment out of my rock/metal with my vmoda m80s and monster Miles Davis tributes. Maybe the hd600s are too laid back? I was wondering if maybe for my guitar-centric music if I should get another headphone or sell the hd600 and get a better all-rounder. Also I'm wondering if maybe I just need a better amp or dac to help my hd600s. My budget is flexible, I could probably go to $500(maybe 600 depending) without selling my hd600s and even more with selling my 600s. Also I'm not opposed to saving up even more over time.

As some background, I generally use lame encoded 320kpbs and my favorite rock/metal/fusion are very guitar centric (Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Dream Theater, Mattias Eklundh, Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe, etc.). I hear grados are great for rock but I'm leaning towards around ear since all on ears kill me after awhile, probably from my tense muscles caused by my chronic migraines.

I've been interested in planars like the he400/500 and mad dog but I'm not sure what is the right direction. I don't care if the phones are open or closed and like I said, I'm open to headphone/dac recommendations if that is a better direction.

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #22,519 of 29,490
Can someone give me a suggestion on how I do a minor upgrade on my HD 650's? I currently have an O2 + ODAC plugged into it. I really don't want to buy any new DAC or AMP for my phone just maybe a new cable that will improve the sound quality. Could someone suggest a cable or anything else that could possibly improve the sound for it. Thanks and Merry Christmas Eve!

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #22,520 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

New member here, been lurking for a while and I have owned some pretty good in-ears in the past(Etymotic er6 and Klipsch x10). Both died of cable failures. I started of with a budget of 100 euros, after reading this forum I am convinced I need to spend more!

Basically I am looking for a comfortable pair of headphones for music(mainly blues) under 200 euros. Living in the Netherlands, my options have different prices than what I see listed here, hence the dilemma. I listen to a lot of differrent genres of music, mainly rock/blues of which 90% is Stevie Ray Vaughan. I also play the guitar myself and would not hate it if the headphones would sound amazing connected to my guitar amp aswell. The headphones' main purpose though, will be listening to music through my pc. After reading a lot of reviews and posts on this website I've come up with the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO 250ohms and the Sennheiser HD598. The problem here is while both are about the same price for me. Because of the impendance I would have to buy an amp to use with the DT880 PRO which would bring the total price to about 300 euros, the HD598 would cost me 170 euros.

I would like to know what would be the better choice for me.

All of my options can be viewed here:

http://tweakers.net/categorie/453/koptelefoons/producten/

Thanks!

Both are excellent.  The Beyer is the better can, but the Senn is the better value.

The Grado SR 225i is excellent and very efficient.  However, I'm not sure what the price will be for you.  In the U.S., it's $200 (absent a somewhat rare sale price).  That puts them into the consideration zone with the other two.  At $250 or so, they begin to slip out of that zone.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #22,521 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys!
Looking for a pair of headphones that I plan on using for Gaming/Music.
I generally Listen to Classic Rock (Queen and Foreigner mostly), Rock, and Country with a little bit of Jazz thrown in.
Portability doesn't matter. Durability does.
Looking at the $200 dollar price range.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Currently the Senn HD 558 & 598 are within that price range--but don't wait too long.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #22,522 of 29,490
Quote:

Hey guys, for the past year I've been loving my hd600s paired with my o2 out of a basic dac/guitar interface(I plan on an odac or something better at least soon) but I seem to sometimes get more enjoyment out of my rock/metal with my vmoda m80s and monster Miles Davis tributes. Maybe the hd600s are too laid back? I was wondering if maybe for my guitar-centric music if I should get another headphone or sell the hd600 and get a better all-rounder. Also I'm wondering if maybe I just need a better amp or dac to help my hd600s. My budget is flexible, I could probably go to $500(maybe 600 depending) without selling my hd600s and even more with selling my 600s. Also I'm not opposed to saving up even more over time.

As some background, I generally use lame encoded 320kpbs and my favorite rock/metal/fusion are very guitar centric (Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Dream Theater, Mattias Eklundh, Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe, etc.). I hear grados are great for rock but I'm leaning towards around ear since all on ears kill me after awhile, probably from my tense muscles caused by my chronic migraines.

I've been interested in planars like the he400/500 and mad dog but I'm not sure what is the right direction. I don't care if the phones are open or closed and like I said, I'm open to headphone/dac recommendations if that is a better direction.

Thanks!

You can't beat the sound of the HE-500 at or near its price point.  The only downside of the HE-500 is that it is too heavy for some.  Just make sure that your amp can drive it adequately.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #22,523 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
You can't beat the sound of the HE-500 at or near its price point.  The only downside of the HE-500 is that it is too heavy for some.  Just make sure that your amp can drive it adequately.

X2 on what KG say here. For having an excellent PRaT on rock/metal, the HE-500 would fit your bill just fine (i'm currently listening Steve Vai - Warm Regards through my HE-500, the sound of the guitar is awesome, and the bass.. well if you know this song you should know how good the bass are, is full, is going deep, it hits hard, and it's tight on the H-500 without any distortion whatsoever in the low region), and if you decided to sell your HD600s you can also built a setup for the HE-500, but it's better if you can auditioned it first, so you can get a better picture regarding the HE-500 vs your HD600

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #22,524 of 29,490
Quote:

make sure you put the IMO infront of that, as some people would completely disagree... sound is very subjective, it's not math

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #22,525 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

make sure you put the IMO infront of that, as some people would completely disagree... sound is very subjective, it's not math

I firmly believe that everyone reading this thread knows that such comments are opinion based on experience.  If you wish to couch your posts in such language, feel free to do.  However, please refrain from attempting to dictate to others.

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #22,526 of 29,490
Quote:

I believe that KG Jag is trying to help Jzbass25 , he is not trying to compare the HE-500 with all other headphone in the same price range and stated that the HE-500 is the best of all , but if KG Jag doesn't quote Jzbass25 then i have to agree to disagree

If you see what Jzbass25 is trying to get, then i would agree with KG Jag since the RS1i would be uncomfortable and the HD650 is to smooth for metal

CMIIW here KG Jag

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #22,527 of 29,490
Quote:
I firmly believe that everyone reading this thread knows that such comments are opinion based on experience.  If you wish to couch your posts in such language, feel free to do.  However, please refrain from attempting to dictate to others.

I agree but if someone is inexperienced here, see's your post count and reads that, they may get the wrong impression and hence it would convince them more than it really should, since it's just one persons opinion.. if you get me... all i'm saying is that it's safer to rephrase things like that.. I just dislike it when people say this is the "best" this and "best" that, since it's so vague/subjective.. and as a result many noobs take it too literally and treat it like it's a hard fact

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #22,528 of 29,490
Quote:

Quote:

My experiences correspond exactly with KG Jag's.  It's not math, but most everyone who makes close comparisons of HE500 to other sub $1000 headphones have preferred the HE500, as I have.

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #22,530 of 29,490
Quote:
What are the best closed back headphones for about $300? I want them to be extremely durable and not necessarily neutral, bassy is good.
I really like the Pioneer HDJ2000 for the looks and I also like the Deyer DT770, what else is there?

Quote:
Im looking for great sounding closed cans that have great bass. I haven't been on these forums in over a year but the last headphone that were recommended to me were the Ultrasone 900's are they still the best for what im looking for or are there better now? Budget is $400

Quote:

I think we're both looking for the same thing :)

That's a tough one.  From my experiences of closed headphones that I've owned or auditioned, my impressions of overall were sound quality are Edition 8> SRH940>D7000>D5000 = SRH840>DT250-250>K271>HD 25>MDR V6>DT770-80.  Of these, D7000, D5000 and DT770-80 emphasize the bass.  However the former two are not truly closed as sound leaks in & out like mad, and they are vastly overpriced for their flawed sound quality (recessed mids, hot treble).  And the DT770-80 are the worst closed headphones that I have heard.  Under $400, SRH840 & SRH940 are the winners by a mile imo, but they have *much* more neutral signatures.  SRH840 slightly emphasize the mid-bass so they are more bass-heavy than the SRH940, but the merits of the 940 are that they remedy every imperfection of the SRH840 (slightly rounded off treble, an enclosed and dark sound).  If overall sound quality is a bigger priority than the emphasized bass, I think that the best option would be to get the SRH940 and an inexpensive amp like the fiio that has bass boost.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back