++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #22,471 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,
What's the difference between the Beyer DT880, DT770 and DT990? and which version should I get 600, 250 or 32?
I am looking for really durable and comfortable headphones and many people recommended the Beyer's.
Are they closed black? If so how good are they at noise reduction? As far as I know the cables aren't detachable so it that a problem?
What other options do I have for about $300?

It might help to know what source(s) your plugging the headphones into?
(like what DAC & amp? if any).
I prefer open headphones (DT880, DT990), so only use the DT770 if I have a need to block outside noise.
The DT990 have a more "movie theater" like sound, full bass & full treble,
which make the mids seem a little recessed, but the vocal are clear.
Gamers seem like them (guess fully open helps) and their a great headphone for Blu-ray action movies.

The DT880 have a more balanced sound and they do everything fairly well, music, movies and gaming.

If you do prefer closed headphones, the Audio Technica ATH-A900X sound better (to me) then the DT770.
The A900X's are closed headphones, but do not have a very tight seal,
which I really like, keeps the bass from beating up my ear drums (save some cash and buy used)

To me the DT880 600-Ohm & DT990 600-Ohm are only worth it to me (over the 250-Ohm models), if you can get them for a good price used.
With used ones you might have to buy new ear pads, $32-$36 for a pair.
My O2 (Objective 2) amp (new $155) does a fine job of driving my 600-Ohm DT880 & DT990s

I guess the Beyer 32-Ohm are sold as not needing an amplifier, but I'm guessing you will end up buying an amplifier for them anyways, to make sure your getting the best out of them.
So I think it's just better to buy the 250-Ohm versions and use the leftover cash towards a nice amp.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #22,472 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, I've frequented this site over the last 4-5 years, and have always appreciated the insight this community brings, and the helpfulness of its members. my first pair i got were beyerdynamic dt700 Pro-80s, and have used those pretty exclusively. I picked up a pair of RE-ZEROs to wear at work and not look odd (it's a conservative company). I'm back perusing this website again because I feel that my dt-700s/80s have been wounded. It might be too many times I've accidently sat on them/abused them, but the sound quality of them now seems to have deteriorated significantly. I loved them, though I thought the bass, at times, was a little too overwhelming and frankly ruined the music. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I've checked out all the main "guides."
Music Genres: trance and trance and more trance (originally liked rap, hence the dt-770/80s purchase) - also, play video games (all genres).
Amped/Unamped: Unamped. I would consider getting an amp if it was pretty small, under $100, but otherwise, assume no amp.
File encoding: MP3 - 256-320kps
Price Range: $150 - $300.
Closed/Open: Closed - I use these guys while at home, for casual listening, or while on the airplane. (also need "over-ear")
Past headphones beyerdynamic dt770 pro-80s, and hifiman RE-ZEROs
My "short list" - I'm open to extra suggestions, but I think I've narrowed my choice down to:
  • Beyerdynamic dt-770 Pro-80s: liked my first pair enough I'd get another if there weren't more compelling choices for trance.
  • Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs
  • Beyerdynamic DT1350
  • V-Moda Crossfade M-80/LP2/M100 (i dont know anything about these other than waht was in thad PDF summer buying guide)
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  • Sennheiser HD 600/650 (hear these require amps, so prob not)
  • Beyerdynamic DT 880- 32 or 250
  • Beyerdynamic DT 660
  • AKG K501

Beyer DT770 Pro 250-Ohm and a Fiio E11 portable head amp.
For under $20 get a few extra batteries (BL-5B) and a simple battery charger.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #22,473 of 29,490
First, thank you for creating this thread and thank you in advance for helping me out. I want to upgrade from my HD555 that I bought way back in 2006. I like to game and watch movies. Of course I game more than I watch movies :wink:. I use onboard audio from my motherboard, Asus P6T. I compared my onboard to the Titanium HD, and to me, there were subtle differences, so I felt the cost was not worth it. I only tested it by watching a live concert I downloaded. Maybe I'm testing it wrong? please let me know. The real big difference I felt from using the Titanium HD was the TruStudio Pro feature, which I loved. It makes me want to return it for a lower cost DAC, like Creative SB Z. Update: Someone just told me that I tested the DAC wrong and I should test it on GAMING; what kind of games should I test it on and what should I be looking for? I ask this because games don't always make distinguishable sounds; you have to "do" something in the game. I'm currently playing Dishonored, but don't worry if you can't give advice for sound testing on that specific game.

Anyways, I was considering a headset this time around just for convenience. Actually just before I thought of a headset, I was really considering going wireless on headphones. The RS 220 hurts my wallet, but I'm hearing good things from it, such as it puts sound out like the HD600 series. Based on your knowledge what do you recommend for a headset? and what about wireless? Do you think RS 180 or Astro A50 is adequate for my taste? For a wired headset, I assume the PC 360 is the optimal option for me, because  I see it as the beloved wired headset for gamers.

As of now, I'm feeling the Astro A50, might be a really bad choice. But if you ignored the cost of the A50, what wired headset could it compare to and why?

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #22,474 of 29,490
Quote:
First, thank you for creating this thread and thank you in advance for helping me out. I want to upgrade from my HD555 that I bought way back in 2006. I like to game and watch movies. Of course I game more than I watch movies :wink:. I use onboard audio from my motherboard, Asus P6T. I compared my onboard to the Titanium HD, and to me, there were subtle differences, so I felt the cost was not worth it. I only tested it by watching a live concert I downloaded. Maybe I'm testing it wrong? please let me know. The real big difference I felt from using the Titanium HD was the TruStudio Pro feature, which I loved. It makes me want to return it for a lower cost DAC, like Creative SB Z. Update: Someone just told me that I tested the DAC wrong and I should test it on GAMING; what kind of games should I test it on and what should I be looking for? I ask this because games don't always make distinguishable sounds; you have to "do" something in the game. I'm currently playing Dishonored, but don't worry if you can't give advice for sound testing on that specific game.

Anyways, I was considering a headset this time around just for convenience. Actually just before I thought of a headset, I was really considering going wireless on headphones. The RS 220 hurts my wallet, but I'm hearing good things from it, such as it puts sound out like the HD600 series. Based on your knowledge what do you recommend for a headset? and what about wireless? Do you think RS 180 or Astro A50 is adequate for my taste? For a wired headset, I assume the PC 360 is the optimal option for me, because  I see it as the beloved wired headset for gamers.

As of now, I'm feeling the Astro A50, might be a really bad choice. But if you ignored the cost of the A50, what wired headset could it compare to and why?

As mentioned a few weeks ago, historically there is not much knowledge of or interest in wireless cans by the folks who post regularly on this thread.  The best I can suggest to you is to start here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #22,476 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for a good carry bag or case for my dt770 and fiio amp. Any suggestions?

Search for pilot headset carry bags.  They are generally large and give you the most for your money.  One example:

http://www.amazon.com/David-Clark-Headset-Pilot-Bag/dp/B003VS8LQ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3TMR6IEFCG0JX&coliid=I29HTH0E6M54ID

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #22,477 of 29,490
Heyas all, new here and only jus learned about headphone amps and other high end audio equipment last week. I currently own only this dinky thing

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-ps3.html

and am wondering if it's possible to upgrade from there for my own personal uses.

Music genres:
*Mostly Synthesized Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSx0SSvOtUs

*Lots of J-Rock/Pop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stk3r9a5ykI

*Lots of Dance/Techno/Industrial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFKzEZhytGA

*Even more Easy Listening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1CjxQXXA7o

Portable: No, home PC use.

Price range: Not including the portable amp/dac, $600. Including a portable amp/dac, $800.

Closed/Open: I prefer Closed, but if Open will offer such a significant mind-boggling world-ending camatose-from-pleasure experience, I'm up for it.

Headphone preference:
*I prefer "fake leather padding" around the ear cups over silk padding, but if a headphone with silk padding will offer such a significant mind-boggling world-ending camatose-from-pleasure experience, I'm up for it.

*A headphone that goes over the head (I hate the over-the-ear ones)

Other Notes:
*I love Bass, but I HATE Bass that drowns everything out

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #22,478 of 29,490
Hey headfi'ers, first post on headfi!

I don't have the space for a full blown sound system so I am looking for a recommendation on a nice headphone.  At first, I had a Panasonic rp-htx7 (too closed-in sounding, rolled off highs, no deep bass) then upgraded to a Koss pro dj100 and a Fiio e5, but I still feel they are lacking.  I have been following the headphone buying guide and Innerfidelity wall of fame and feel like a want a Denon d2000 or d5000.  Preferably I want a closed-back headphone since I am a college student and will be using these at the library sometimes or in a spontaneously-loud apartment.  

I prefer a headphone with the following characteristics: highs with sparkle, bass that is deep and not unbearably sloppy, and overall sound clarity and accuracy.  I have read that "Neutral sounding" is the best, and I wouldn't mind that, but I also wouldn't mind a "fun" (not 100% neutral) headphone either.  I have a hard budget of $400 (prefer to not blow my whole wad though!). I listen to mostly everything except classical and country.

Seems that the d2k, d5k are discontinued and almost impossible to get new.  I see that Dakmart (certified denon seller) has the d5k,  refurbished for $389.  Worth? Or is there better out there? Help please! 
smile.gif
 (<--- no headphones on my smiley, yet)

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #22,480 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for a good carry bag or case for my dt770 and fiio amp. Any suggestions?

Fairly good prices ($25) on eBay.

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #22,481 of 29,490
Im looking for great sounding closed cans that have great bass. I haven't been on these forums in over a year but the last headphone that were recommended to me were the Ultrasone 900's are they still the best for what im looking for or are there better now? Budget is $400

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #22,482 of 29,490
Hello all, I'm looking for a pair of headphones to be used at home mostly out of a MacBook Pro (2010), occasionally with an iPod Classic (80GB). I don't have much experience with headphones, but I'm using a pair of Westone UM3x. I'd like these headphones to be a complement to my UM3x if possible. 

Budget: Under $150 USD, but if an amp is needed, the budget can be adjusted accordingly
Closed/Open: They will be used mostly at home, so it doesn't matter. 
Over/On ear: I have pretty small ears (7cm), so some on-ear headphones end up being half over my ear, so I'll audition them before buying to see how they fit. Not so much of a concern at this point in time. 
Music genres: I listen to a good deal of different music, mostly alternative, folk and rock, but the occasional classical and orchestral pieces as well. 
Sound preferences: A decent soundstage, smooth mids, no sibilance, less fatiguing highs, tight bass. 

I'm open to learning how to mod my headphones, and a detachable cable would be nice. 

I've been looking at the Fostex T50rp, would they suit my preferences? Help is very much appreciated, thank you!

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #22,485 of 29,490
I need some suggestions...I'm looking for a premium HP that will be a general use HP. I like a wide sound stage and good bass. I do own CAL!s and love them..sometimes I wish they had more bass (not all the time). Would I be better sticking with them as a general purpose HP or is there something better?

Music Genres: R&B, Rap/Hip-hop, Rock (those are my top three, but really listen to everything), and Movies
Amped/Unamped: I would consider getting an amp to open my selection of HP so either or and the amp would be FiiO E11.
File encoding: MP3 - 128-320kps
Portable: Yes (will use them with an iPhone, iPad, iPod, HTC EVO, etc....no home equipment or as of yet)
Price Range: $100 - $250.
Closed/Open: Closed - For casual listening, while on the airplane, or in a crowded area. Also min sound leakage and good isolation.
Past headphones: CAL!, Shure SE115, Sennheiser CX 485
My "been looking at list" - I'm open to extra suggestions:
Beyerdynamic dt-770- 32 or 250
Beyerdynamic DT 880- 32 or 250
Beyerdynamic DT 990- 32 or 250 (if on sale)
Shure SRH840
Shure SRH940

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back