++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 22, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #22,458 of 29,490
Well, my first pair of headphones (Denon D5000) have served me well, but, also being a computer enthusiast and just having built my new rig, I feel the need to do more upgrades! (My poor wallet..)
Anywho, my current setup is I have my D5K's plugged up into an AudioGD 15.1
The sound is great, and i'm quite a big bass lover, i'm not a passive listener, I LOVE getting into my music as much as possible, drumming on my desk, etc.
However, i've found that the bass in the D5K's is just too.. forced? I suppose this is what some people were talking about when they said the bass was "muddy"
So, i've turned my attention to the Audeze LCD-2 R1(or R2, i'd love clarification on what the differences, if any are)
Would that be a nice upgrade from D5Ks from what it sounds like i'm looking for?
Also, i'd be spending around $1,000 for a dac/amp (either combo or separate) setup.
I greatly appreciate anyone for any insight or help they can give me

TGT

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #22,459 of 29,490
My post got overlooked so I'm posting again:

I'm posting this here cause it seems like the best place, even though it's not only about full-size headphones.
I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what my next upgrade should be, I'm currently using AKG 272's as my main headphones, with an iPod touch (EQu player and apple lossless files mostly) as source and a PA2V2 amp, and I do enjoy the sound that setup produces, and the high comfort-level.

What I want is headphones dedicated to home listening, I've been looking at AKG k701, Sennheiser HD598/HD600, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR225i and some open-back ones.
I haven't listened a lot to other headphones than my 272's so I don't have much to compare with, I'm by no means a bass-head, but I like the bass to be present when called for, and the mids to be slightly forward, especially in songs with vocals, but I like treble as well, for example the high-pitched violin in some of Andrew Birds songs.
What I like the most is a "big" sound, I'm not very familiar with audiophile terms but I think it's described as a large soundstage, correct me if I'm wrong.
Low fatigue is also a high priority.

My problem now is that I don't know what i should upgrade first, would getting a pair of higher-end open back headphones be rewarding without a better source and amp?

Music: Most kinds, I enjoy music like Andrew Birds a lot, but I also listen to regular rock, like Pixies, Thom Yorke and Jeff Buckley, I like Gorillaz a lot, and they've turned me to HipHop as well, like PUTS and Hieroglyphics, I can enjoy some electronic music as well, but not "bad" dubstep (Wobwobwob) I've also recently started to listen to classic, especially Joe Hisaishi.

Amped/Unamped: Pa2v2, will upgrade to a stationary amp eventually

File Encoding: Apple Lossless ripped from CD's, and some 320kb mp3 downloads from Bandcamp.

Price Range: About 2000 SEK on headphones alone, which is about 300 USD, but prices are so different here so throw me some suggestions

Closed/Open: Open

Past Headphones: AKG 272 (current), Koss DJ100pro (portable), Meelec MP6 and some different trash cans.

Currently Looking At: AKG k701, Sennheiser HD598/HD600, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR225i

Any advice is greatly appriciated
/Ted

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #22,460 of 29,490
I currently own a pair of Audio Technica ath-m50 headphones and I have really enjoyed them.  I am considering an upgrade, but I am not sure what to consider.  I listen to mostly hip/hop, rap, and rock.  I also use them for gaming.  I want the bass to be somewhat prominent and I don't plan on using an amp (unless it is recommended).  The appearance of the headphones is not extremely important, but I do want something attractive.  Portability is irrelevant. Price could be anywhere from $200 to $300.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  If you could, please include why you are recommending the pair you are.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #22,461 of 29,490
Been doing a lot of research, originally settled on a Schiit Lyr and got frustrated with the delay on the new stock of them and ended up deciding to spend a bit more anyway. I'm currently considering a Graham Slee Solo (not the Ultra Linear). Will this have an acceptable amount of power with some headroom to crank it? Also how do you think the HE-500 would pair with the Graham Slee and a Peachtree Dac-It? What about with a PS Audio Digital Link III? thanks for the help, guys.

i posted that in another thread on the amp section as well, but i would like as much feedback as possible... thanks!

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #22,462 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi I currently have the m50s and am looking to upgrade. I listen to hip hop and house music mainly and I really like the bass of the m50s. I'm looking for a "super" version of the m50s if you will. Not looking to spend more than $300. Closed or opened design but closed preferred (so I won't disturb others as much, my m50s already leak sound clearly at the volume I play them at lol) but if open gives me a better sound then that's ok too. With or without amp is ok too. If they need an amp, what would you recommend for the best synergy (portable amp)? I use a clip+ to listen my music mainly. Thanks!

I'd look into some Ultrasones as they are great for your genres. The Pro 750 is in your range and the Pro 900 is close, but just over your budget. Do some research on those as they may be a nice upgrade from the M50

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #22,463 of 29,490
Hello All,
I currently have a new set of HD650s on order. Looking to possibly get a Bottlehead Crack to go along. What are some recommendations on DAC's in the $150 range? I'm considering either HRT Music Streamer II or Jdlabs ODAC. Any other sugestions would be much appreciated. Also, anyone have experience with the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 with HD650's? Seems like it gets quite a few recommendations around here. The majority of them seem to be pretty canned responses though. As if someone is getting paid to monitor the forums for amp recommendations :). I could be totally wrong on this though. Thanks for your help!

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #22,464 of 29,490
Re posting a request that got looked over. Looking for some advice on some headphones to use mainly on public transport and at university 

Music Genres: Mostly metal/rock but some classical (full orchestral) and some sountracks. Really just a mix of stuff.

Amped/Unamped: An iPod and a CMOY driver built by an audiophile friend of mine

File encoding: MP3 almost all 320KBps

Price Range: Willing to go upto $300

Closed/Open: Closed (no choice given i will be using on public transport)

Past headphones: Etymotics in ears [almost no bass]. Senhisers not sure what model but they were like $80 [really liked the sound but not the best isolation] 

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #22,465 of 29,490
Quote:
Re posting a request that got looked over. Looking for some advice on some headphones to use mainly on public transport and at university 

Music Genres: Mostly metal/rock but some classical (full orchestral) and some sountracks. Really just a mix of stuff.

Amped/Unamped: An iPod and a CMOY driver built by an audiophile friend of mine

File encoding: MP3 almost all 320KBps

Price Range: Willing to go upto $300

Closed/Open: Closed (no choice given i will be using on public transport)

Past headphones: Etymotics in ears [almost no bass]. Senhisers not sure what model but they were like $80 [really liked the sound but not the best isolation] 

You probably did not receive a response because it is difficult to tell what your portable rig will push and you did not indicate the sound signature you prefer.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #22,466 of 29,490
Hey guys,
What's the difference between the Beyer DT880, DT770 and DT990? and which version should I get 600, 250 or 32?
I am looking for really durable and comfortable headphones and many people recommended the Beyer's.
Are they closed black? If so how good are they at noise reduction? As far as I know the cables aren't detachable so it that a problem?
What other options do I have for about $300?

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #22,467 of 29,490
Quote:
The quality most important to me in headphones, is the way they make the human voice sound.
In other words, the best headphones for me are the ones that make the human voice most engaging. Sorry, I know it is subjective, however it's the best definition I can come up with.

I have the AKG 701, Grado 325i and Senheiser HD-650. The AKG for me is out of this league (currently collecting dust.)  Between The 325i and the HD-650, I find the Senheiser to have a better bass and detail, however I find the Grados to produce much more engaging vocals.

To the point: From all of the following: Audez LCD-2 & 3, Senheiser HD-800, Grados PS1000 and GS and the HE 6 & 500; which (at least the ones you know) do you folks find to excel in that category?

Or for that matter, other cans.

Those are all really great cans but I don't have experience with any of them yet. I would say, though, that if vocals are most important you may want to consider the HD600. One option would be to sell your HD650 and get the HD600 instead since they are pretty similar but for vocals the HD600 I think is the better choice because it has a mids emphasis and sounds very natural and accurate. You can see from the FR graphs that where the 650 has just slightly recessed upper mids the 600 actually emphasizes them.

Just a thought. You would probably be quite happy with any of the other cans you mentioned. They are among the very best (and most expensive).

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #22,468 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,
What's the difference between the Beyer DT880, DT770 and DT990? and which version should I get 600, 250 or 32?
I am looking for really durable and comfortable headphones and many people recommended the Beyer's.
Are they closed black? If so how good are they at noise reduction? As far as I know the cables aren't detachable so it that a problem?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #22,469 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

There's a great deal of difference.  The 880 & 990 are open, while the 770 is closed.  The 880 is an audiophile can, while the 770 and 990 have more colored sound signatures.

The 600 Ohm is the least efficient and hardest to drive but most probably consider it to offer the best sound--if you can properly push it.  The 32 Ohm is the easiest to push.

You probably would benefit from a bit of research on each model.  A good place to start is with the "Head Gear" tab at the top of the page.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #22,470 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

Also see here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/110900/beyerdynamic-owners-unite/1335#post_8958350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back