++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #22,411 of 29,490
Flac Music: Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronic - Favorite artist are Soundgarden, DJ Krush, DJ Cam, DJ Shadow, Stateless, Ice Cube, and more

PC Games:  Mostly FPS & Single Player - Red Orchestra 2, Counter Strike, Stalker Series, Metro 2033, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and BF3 if the price is right.

I have a Asus Xonar DG Soundcard.

Price Range: $200 - $400

Open or Closed: I prefer Open back design

Headphones That I Currently Have: Superlux HD688B (Modded) Sock Mod, took out the foam inside the cups.

Currently Looking At (Open to suggestions):
HiFiman HE-300
HiFiman HE-400
AKG Q701
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Beyerdynamic DT 990

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #22,412 of 29,490
Quote:
Flac Music: Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronic - Favorite artist are Soundgarden, DJ Krush, DJ Cam, DJ Shadow, Stateless, Ice Cube, and more

PC Games:  Mostly FPS & Single Player - Red Orchestra 2, Counter Strike, Stalker Series, Metro 2033, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and BF3 if the price is right.

Headphones That I Currently Have: Superlux HD688B (Modded) Sock Mod, took out the foam inside the cups.

HiFiman HE-300
HiFiman HE-400
AKG Q701
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Beyerdynamic DT 990

I'd get the he 400 and then buy a nice fiio e11/10 depending on what you want. The he 400 is my favorite can under 400 dollars.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #22,413 of 29,490

I think the above reply answers also partially my question...Still the HE-400 is the maximum limit and I would pay for it if it's really, really worth. Besides the 3 cans (Hifiman HE-400, Beyedrynamic DT770 and K267) I put also the Ultrasone Pro 2400 on my list now. I also thing I prefer to go with some open/semi-open cans.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #22,414 of 29,490
Quote:
I think the above reply answers also partially my question...Still the HE-400 is the maximum limit and I would pay for it if it's really, really worth. Besides the 3 cans (Hifiman HE-400, Beyedrynamic DT770 and K267) I put also the Ultrasone Pro 2400 on my list now. I also thing I prefer to go with some open/semi-open cans.

Yeah if you can afford it get the he400, but I really wouldn't reccommend it if you dont have some sort of amp.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #22,415 of 29,490
1. I have an Audinst HUD-mx1 (Dac+Amp) (179$) which is supposed to power up to 600 ohm. Of course this is how it's advertised, but 300 is no problem from what I've read. Should this be enough? At least to get 90% of what the HE-400 are capable?

2. Are there any other good choices for Open headphones for Hip-hop/electronic with good bass, but also overall high quality sound? Or I just don't have to think more if I get the money for the HE-400. Sorry for repeating the question :).

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #22,416 of 29,490
Quote:
1. I have an Audinst HUD-mx1 (Dac+Amp) (179$) which is supposed to power up to 600 ohm. Of course this is how it's advertised, but 300 is no problem from what I've read. Should this be enough? At least to get 90% of what the HE-400 are capable?

2. Are there any other good choices for Open headphones for Hip-hop/electronic with good bass, but also overall high quality sound? Or I just don't have to think more if I get the money for the HE-400. Sorry for repeating the question :).

If you have the power go for the he400. Usually closed headphones will have a better bass response for hip/electronica.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #22,417 of 29,490
Quote:
My two cents

The ATH-AD700s seem to be well liked for FPS, but they are bass light, so I'm guessing you will not like them for music or (action?) movies.
The ATH-M50s seem to be liked for music. but I do not see anyone who likes them for surround sound.
My DT990 Pro 250-Ohm seem to do well with everything.
I've heard the FA-011 are somewhat like the DT990s.
Q701, seems to get a lot of thumbs up from gamers.

One option is to get the Creative Titanium (non-HD) sound card, refurb is $44.99 at Newegg and spend the leftover for an A/V receiver, connect the sound card to the receiver with optical, and plug the headphones into the receiver.
Then you can just add the loudspeakers any time you like.

Thanks for the reply Purple! Helped me decide to pull the trigger on the Q701's, picked off the last pair that would ship to Canada from Amazon for $230! :)

The receiver's a great idea, completely slipped my mind. Will I lose anything from going from optical out to a receiver then to my devices? Any suggestions there?

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #22,418 of 29,490
Quote:

HiFiman HE-300
HiFiman HE-400
AKG Q701
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Beyerdynamic DT 990

For the HiFiman HE-400 the impendence is 35 Ohm according to this website and I'm using the Pro gaming mode 32- 64 ohms from the soundcard for my Superlux HD688B, so I wouldn't really need a amp right? because I'll be using it for PC gaming and music and I can't really afford a extra product with my headphone if I buy the HE-400.  Sorry if I don't make sense because I don't know.

The AKG Q701 is a lot cheaper and i can use Bing $5 Amazon gift cards (it will take a while to stack them up) and a $40 rebate card.

http://hifiman.us/Products/?pid=115

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #22,419 of 29,490
What are the best headphones (over ear) to listen to the 3DS and other mobile devices to?

I know these won't have to be the highest of specifications, but I still want high quality such as durability.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #22,420 of 29,490
Hi guys, I've frequented this site over the last 4-5 years, and have always appreciated the insight this community brings, and the helpfulness of its members. my first pair i got were beyerdynamic dt700 Pro-80s, and have used those pretty exclusively. I picked up a pair of RE-ZEROs to wear at work and not look like a tool. I'm back perusing this website again because I feel that my dt-700s/80s have been wounded. It might be too many times I've accidently sat on them/abused them, but the sound quality of them now seems to have deteriorated significantly. I loved them, though I thought the bass, at times, was a little too overwhelming and frankly ruined the music. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I've checked out all the main "guides."

Music Genres: trance and trance and more trance (originally liked rap, hence the dt-770/80s purchase) - also, play video games (all genres)

Amped/Unamped: Unamped. I would consider getting an amp if it was pretty small, under $100, but otherwise, assume no amp.

File encoding: MP3 - 256-320kps

Price Range: $150 - $300.

Closed/Open: Closed - I use these guys while at home, for casual listening, or while on the airplane. (also need "over-ear")

Past headphones beyerdynamic dt770 pro-80s, and hifiman RE-ZEROs

My "short list" - I'm open to extra suggestions, but I think I've narrowed my choice down to:
  • Beyerdynamic dt-770 Pro-80s: liked my first pair enough I'd get another if there weren't more compelling choices for trance.
  • Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs
  • Beyerdynamic DT1350
  • V-Moda Crossfade M-80/LP2/M100 (i dont know anything about these other than waht was in thad PDF summer buying guide)
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  • Sennheiser HD 600/650 (hear these require amps, so prob not)
  • Beyerdynamic DT 800 - 32 OHMS
  • Beyerdynamic DT 660
  • AKG K501

Again, thanks for the help this community has given me already, and appreciate all advice.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #22,421 of 29,490
A little background before I really get into the standardized info. I generally listen to my music on the go, and by that I mean in public places (e.g library, park, commuting, walking, etc). I've never owned a set of over ear headphones, but I just listened to my uncle's Sennheiser HD 598 which had me drooling. I loved how they sounded especially the 3D feel (I guess you guys call it soundstage-did some research :p) but I'm a little worried about their portability. I generally listen to my music out of my iPod and know you need to attach the 3.5mm jack converter to play the Sennheiser 598 with an iPhone making it really bulky (or so it seems). If anyone uses them with their iPhone I'd really appreciate a PM telling me how that's going.

Music Genres: I seriously listen to all sortsa stuff. Rock (love old stuff like Led Zep and VU but also listen to newer indie and substantial amount of progressive rock), Flamenco/Jazz Fusion (Paco de Lucia, Rodrigo y Gabriela), Electronic (ALL types: The Avalanches, Aphex, Kavinsky, Skrillex) and some Rap-mostly ATCQ and POTS which   
Games: N/A 
Amped/Unamped: Not sure - but I do listen to my music on the go usually so take bulk into consideration. Wouldn't want to be spending tooooo much on these. Def. want over ear phones
File encoding: MP3 but I try and download all of my music in the 256kps - 320kps.
Price Range: Up to $300USD
Closed/Open: Rather them be open-only because I've read that they're better for soundstage.
Past headphones: Currently have the Klipsch S4 but definitely don't want another pair of In Ears
Currently Looking At:
Sennheiser HD 598

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #22,422 of 29,490
Hi guys,

Looking to purchase my first set of decent quality over-ear headphones, would greatly appreciate some input from people.  I want to use them at Uni now that I'm starting my doctoral studies I'll be doing a lot of lengthy computer time in my office and travelling for research/conferences - so comfort is definitely a deciding factor.

Music: I listen to quite a mix.  But the cans would be used mostly for dance (David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Avicii styles), rock (more main stream style rock like KOL, The Black Keys) and pop/alternative (Coldplay, The Naked and Famous, Vampire Weekend).

Games: Don't play so not required.

Amped/Unamped: unamped from either my iPhone/iPod or computer. (I don't own an amp but may consider it in a few years)

File Encoding: MP3 128 - 320kbps

Price Range: up to $350

Closed/Open: Closed - the less sound leakage the better (I share an office)

Past Headphones: Currently using a pair of on-ear Bose headphones I inherited a few years back.  They sound is reasonable, bass is probably as much as I would like, but the mids tend to get lost.

Currently Looking At: Not really looking at anything seriously as of yet.

I do like the V-Moda M-100 - but wonder if they may have a little too much bass? I do like their portability, but heard that after a while they can become uncomfortable (ears touching the drivers and what not)

And I do have to wear glasses here n there (not all the time) so it'd be great to hear from anyone else who has to aswell.

Cheers Guys :)

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #22,423 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

Looking to purchase my first set of decent quality over-ear headphones, would greatly appreciate some input from people.  I want to use them at Uni now that I'm starting my doctoral studies I'll be doing a lot of lengthy computer time in my office and travelling for research/conferences - so comfort is definitely a deciding factor.

Music: I listen to quite a mix.  But the cans would be used mostly for dance (David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Avicii styles), rock (more main stream style rock like KOL, The Black Keys) and pop/alternative (Coldplay, The Naked and Famous, Vampire Weekend).

Games: Don't play so not required.

Amped/Unamped: unamped from either my iPhone/iPod or computer. (I don't own an amp but may consider it in a few years)

File Encoding: MP3 128 - 320kbps

Price Range: up to $350

Closed/Open: Closed - the less sound leakage the better (I share an office)

Past Headphones: Currently using a pair of on-ear Bose headphones I inherited a few years back.  They sound is reasonable, bass is probably as much as I would like, but the mids tend to get lost.

Currently Looking At: Not really looking at anything seriously as of yet.

I do like the V-Moda M-100 - but wonder if they may have a little too much bass? I do like their portability, but heard that after a while they can become uncomfortable (ears touching the drivers and what not)

And I do have to wear glasses here n there (not all the time) so it'd be great to hear from anyone else who has to aswell.

Cheers Guys :)

Check out the Shure SRH 940, Denon D2000 (if you can find one used, as I think it's discontinued), Ultrasone PRO 750, Beyerdynamic T70 and Sennheiser Momentum. If you think the Bose has enough bass, then the M100 will DEFINITELY have too much bass.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #22,425 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

I tend to lurk and read up on head-fi opposed to posting here (largely because I am more of a computer guy and can't offer as much knowledge on this subject), but today I need some advice if someone can spare it. I have been interested in buying open back headphones for a while and noticed Amazon has the AKG Q701 for $230. Frankly, that is about as much as I want to spend. That combined with some nice things I have read here about them has put me very close to buying them.

So basically, I am on the edge of the proverbial cliff. If anyone feels compelled to talk me off the ledge (or push me over), I am asking you to do exactly that.

Also, if it helps, I currently play my music from my computer through an NFB-12 paired with ATH-M50s and Airmotiv 5s. I assume the NFB-12 should be fine with the Q701, but please let me know if I have problems here as well.

And as always, THANK YOU!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back