++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #22,381 of 29,490
Thanks for this recommendation. I find it to be really intriguing! If I were to be deciding between the AKG K167 and the Senn HD 598, would anyone have some more thoughts regarding the virtues and vices of the two. Appreciated!

Quote:
Check out the AKG 167. I have just spent the last two hours listening to them and they would be one of the few phones I would say you would get the most out of two diverse genres that you like. They are also very efficient and I used a desk amp and a sansa clip+ and there was very little difference. The clip was able to make them perform. Very light and comfy. I have no other alternate recommendation for you because they seem perfect for you.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Hi! I'm here to solicit recommendations for a new pair of headphones. Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated!

Music Genres: Perhaps 60% hip-hop, 40% unaccompanied choral music (pre-bach polyphony)
Amped/Unamped: Almost exclusively, I'd be listening to it straight out of the headphone jack on my macbook air or iPhone. I know, I know. I have a nuforce uDAC, but only break it out occasionally. I'd like a pair of headphones that can sound beautiful without it, but if they can be enhanced by the uDAC all the better. 
File encoding: MP3s, mostly encoded between 256kps vbr and at 320kps. There's little chance I'll ever move to flac or any lossless format, so if that's the bottleneck for me, I don't want cans that require higher quality files. 
Price Range: Up to $200, but preferably under $150.
Closed/Open: I have a preference for a closed design, but it's not a strong one.
Past headphones: I had a pair of Grado i80s which I enjoyed. But I don't have enough experience to know whether there might be a better sound signature for the type of music I enjoy. Looking for a discernible, universally agreed upon step-up in quality from these. I think I'm looking for something "fun" as opposed to "analytic," if that's a dichotomy that makes sense. 

Thanks in advance!

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #22,382 of 29,490
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, I've tried many different ones and I'm down to two: Monster Inspirations or the Monster Vektrs. I know these aren't that great of value but I am extremely thrilled with both, what ones do you guys recommend? Thanks

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #22,385 of 29,490
Hello first time poster here! :D

Been lurking on this site on and off looking for a great pair of gaming headphones. I am a competitive FPS player coming from a Logitech g35 gaming headset and a on-board sound card lol... I now understand after reading a bit through the forums here that "gaming headsets" are pretty much crap. So now I'm looking for an awesome pair of headphones and a stand alone mic.

I know I'm going to be purchasing a new sound card, probably the creative sound blaster one :D But now i just need THAT headset.

Budget: ~100-250'ish. The 200's is pushing it a little for me but if its worth it then I'm interested.
I will mainly be using the headset for competitive and normal gaming, but mostly competitive. sometimes music.

I read Mad Lust Envy's headphone gaming guide and I'm liking the AKG Q701's. Maybe HD 598's? or Ultrasone HFI 2400?

I really just want suggestions and names of top headphones best for competitive fps gaming. I dont feel I'm up to date on the latest headphones. And idk much about amps and soundmixers or w/e, but with that sound card i wouldn't think it would be necessary?

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #22,386 of 29,490
Quote:

Been lurking on this site on and off looking for a great pair of gaming headphones. I am a competitive FPS player coming from a Logitech g35 gaming headset and a on-board sound card lol... I now understand after reading a bit through the forums here that "gaming headsets" are pretty much crap. So now I'm looking for an awesome pair of headphones and a stand alone mic.

I know I'm going to be purchasing a new sound card, probably the creative sound blaster one :D But now i just need THAT headset.

Budget: ~100-250'ish. The 200's is pushing it a little for me but if its worth it then I'm interested.
I will mainly be using the headset for competitive and normal gaming, but mostly competitive. sometimes music.

I read Mad Lust Envy's headphone gaming guide and I'm liking the AKG Q701's. Maybe HD 598's? or Ultrasone HFI 2400?

I really just want suggestions and names of top headphones best for competitive fps gaming. I dont feel I'm up to date on the latest headphones. And idk much about amps and soundmixers or w/e, but with that sound card i wouldn't think it would be necessary?

Mad Lust's guide is mainly for consoles and there is a separate forum for the PC's.

Generally it seems that the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is regarded as the best soundcard for gaming on a PC even with Creative's newer lineup. There are arguments back and forth with this and the Asus Xonar but given that the HD is almost half price I'd say go with Creative. Pair that with a open headphone like AD700 which is going for $100 on Amazon and you're set. The soundcard and headphone together will run you about $200.

I've used the AD700 for music/movies from my smartphone at home mainly due to comfort and although I can't attest to its awesomeness in providing absolute positional accuracy I can say that it's soundstage is very large making it probable that it performs well. However, they do lack severely in bass so people including myself have complained about its ability to immerse yourself in whatever your playing/watching. The other headphones you mentioned are all in the $200+ range so I think in your budget of <$250 you're pretty much limited to the AD700's. Later when you can scrounge up some more $$$ you should consider adding an O2 amp (~$120) and then exploring other headphone options. I've hear that Q701's have almost an unnaturally large soundstage so it might be worth trying. The HD598's might be slightly overkill and you might want to look into HD558 if its primary purpose is games. 

I personally use old HD590's and I don't think its that bad.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #22,387 of 29,490
Quote:

Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) PCI-E sound card, Newegg sells a refurb for $44.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102043

Sennheiser HD558 headphones, Amazon sells a used pair for $109

So for around $154, you would have a fairly decent gaming setup.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #22,388 of 29,490
Actually I didn't mean to include the sound card in my budget that was just a separate side note haha, oops. So with that in mind any other headphone suggestions? How do the Q701's compare to the HD558's or even the 598's? For competitive gaming would these just be completely overkill?

How big of a noticeable difference between the non-HD and the HD on the Creatice X-Fi?

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #22,389 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I would like to buy a new pair of headphones for gaming/music(onboard sound). I've done my research and my top choices(considering my budget/availability) are:

1. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro     |       270$
  2. Senheisser HD 558                |       260$
  3. Ultrasone HFI-780                  |       243$
  4. Audio Technica ATH-M50      |       236$
  5. Denon AH-D1100                   |       210$

This prices are for my country(Croatia) and i can't get heaphones from Ebay because headphones + shipping + tax to my country would exceed listed prices.

The thing is i can get discount on Ultrasone HFI-650 (147$) and Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE (195$) so the question is should i buy these now(which) or save more money and buy something listed top(which).

I'm an average user listening to all kind of music and playing competitive games like Counter Strike.

Thank you very much

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #22,390 of 29,490
So I accidently made a thread before I saw this, but I need something will decent bass performance for listening to house/dubstep style but can also decently handle female vocals and hip hop/rap style music. 

Budget is 150-200 or so, any recommendations? 

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #22,391 of 29,490
Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for a while and been trying to soak all of the information in that I can, however, I'm still lost on what set of cans I would fit my preference.

Price Range
$350 or less. If there's something really worth it between 450-350, I could save a bit more.

Requirements
1. The cans have to have very little leakage, which means a closed set of cans.
2. The cans have to be able to be powered by phone.
3. I typically wear a hat and I always wear glasses, so a headphone with more forgiveness as far as cup sealing is concerned is needed.

Preferences
1. 40% electronic/40% rock(mostly metal)/20% rap.
2. I wouldn't call myself a basshead, but bass is very important to me. The bass needs to be fairly loud, but crisp. I want to get away with as much clean bass as I can get without ruining the mids/highs.
3. Soundstage is fairly important. I understand that it's not going to be anything like an open pair, but I really want the feeling that I'm in the room with the instruments.
4. I don't care about looks. I've already dealt with coworkers mocking me for my XBs, so everything is an upgrade in this department.

As of right now, my favorite pair of cans is my bass modded 428s. They have the least leakage and best sound stage of any of the cheap headphones I own.

I was first going to go with the AKG K550s, however, from what I've read I'm sure I'd find the bass too low and getting the right seal is crucial, which would be difficult with a hat and glasses. The next set is the M-100s. It seems like it would fit me well, however, I've read the mids are not as energetic, and the soundstage is a little small. Mids aren't necessarily my thing (I typically have bass/ treble high), but they are still very necessary. However, if another set of closed cans beats it in sound stage while having a good low end, that would fit me perfect.

Thank you in advance, great to be apart of such a good community like this :)

TL:DR: Big head with glasses and hat needs low leakage cans with clear punchy bass and nice sound stage around/under $350.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #22,392 of 29,490
I accidently made a thread before spotting this excellent thread (full story here), so here my question:

Music Genres: Hardstyle, Dubstep, Metal and Classic Rock

Amped/Unamped: Unamped

File encoding: MP3

Price Range: Up to $120.

Closed/Open: Closed - I will use it inhouse, only at the office - so my office mates should not be pestered by leaking music.

Past headphones: Philips SHP2000 [good bass], Sennheiser HD 202 [bit clampy], Philips SHP8500 [very comfortable, lacks bass for me], Pioneer SE-MJ751 [muffled mids and highs, great bass but very clampy]

All in all I think I'm looking for headphones with solid bass (at least more than the SHP8500s give me now), but without distortion in the mids and highs.

Thank you in advance for thinking along with me! The amount of information and knowledge on these forums is really, really awesome!

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #22,393 of 29,490
Hey looking for some advice on some headphones to use on public transport / university 

Music Genres: Mostly metal/rock but some classical (full orchestral) and some sountracks

Amped/Unamped: An iPod and a CMOY driver built by an audiophile friend of mine

File encoding: MP3 almost all 320KBps

Price Range: Willing to go upto $300

Closed/Open: Closed

Past headphones: Etymotics in ears [almost no bass]. Senhisers not sure what model but they were like $80 [really liked the sound but not the best isolation] 

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #22,394 of 29,490
I also need a recommendation guys. I have 3 pairs on my list and as you will see they are quite different:
  1. Beyerdynamic DT 770 (limited edition 32 ohm)...i heard they are better than the other 770 models
  2. AKG K267 (or K167) if difference between them is not too big.
  3. Hifiman HE-400

-I don't need portability, only PC use together with my Audinst mx1 (Amp+Dac) - The Amp is supposed to drive easily 300ohm cans as it's built for up to 600ohm...at least this is how it's advertised.
-I'm mostly listening to hip-hop and electronic (90%), but also some ambient/funk. So, I would like a good bass, both punch and sub-bass detail.
-I also don't want just a bass oriented headphone, but a good overall headphone, that I will enjoy in the long run taking into account it's not going to be very cheap (at least for me).
-I don't care so much about closed/opened, because I see advantages in both. I wouldn't mind opened cans, as I need sometimes to hear the sounds in the house :).

I have the HD555 Senn and I think they were lacking bass. As portables I have AKG518 which I like pretty much, even they are cheap headphones.

I would even go with the HE-400, the only bad part for me is the price...and I'm afraid there are chances to buy something expensive and not to like it, although I read these cans are amazing! I heard though, there were some problems with the left driver. Also, I'm not sure if I have enough power for them.
I'm most inclined at this moment to wait for the K267, as they seem quite versatile and according to reviews somehow semi-open.I had also the Ultrasone PRO900 on my list, but I heard the highs are really ear-piercing.

Do you have any clear recommendation out of these?...like a can't-go-wrong-with-it? I'm interested also in reliability. Is there any other pair you would recommend?

Thanks in advance and a detailed answer would be much appreciated!

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #22,395 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

I would like to buy a new pair of headphones for gaming/music(onboard sound). I've done my research and my top choices(considering my budget/availability) are:

1. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro     |       270$
  2. Senheisser HD 558                |       260$
  3. Ultrasone HFI-780                  |       243$
  4. Audio Technica ATH-M50      |       236$
  5. Denon AH-D1100                   |       210$

This prices are for my country(Croatia) and i can't get heaphones from Ebay because headphones + shipping + tax to my country would exceed listed prices.

The thing is i can get discount on Ultrasone HFI-650 (147$) and Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE (195$) so the question is should i buy these now(which) or save more money and buy something listed top(which).

I'm an average user listening to all kind of music and playing competitive games like Counter Strike.

Thank you very much

I would recommend the DT770 Pro. The Limited Edition 32 ohm version is easily driven by a phone. The 80 ohm, non-limited edition version is a little more difficult to drive, but it should still work with a phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back